NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
nightwolf

Moving abroad permanently - experiences?

I'll mirror the thoughts of making an effort to adapt into the new culture. Not just with language (which is essential), but even something like different drinking habits is something that's worth the effort to adapt into.

No matter how much Jim tries, they will never get me to drink tea! =P

No matter how much Jim tries, they will never get me to drink tea! =P

I can definitely relate (the Germans have some weird drinking habits) :heh: There are things we just can't get used to, but it's the thought that counts.

I can definitely relate (the Germans have some weird drinking habits) :heh: There are things we just can't get used to, but it's the thought that counts.

She eats crumpets and scones now, so that's something.

About drinking habits, I switch to coffee when I'm abroad and drink tea exclusively in the UK. Partly down to Ine's family having a god-tier coffee machine.

She eats crumpets and scones now, so that's something.

About drinking habits, I switch to coffee when I'm abroad and drink tea exclusively in the UK. Partly down to Ine's family having a god-tier coffee machine.

Won't crumpets and scones make her thirsty without tea?

Funny you should mention coffee, as that's something I can't easily drink in Germany. In Portugal, any place is guaranteed to have decent-to-good coffee (including vending machines), but in Germany, I have to search high and low to find something satisfying. On the other hand, they have better beer.

Tea is also something I drink more in Germany than in here, now that I think about it.

decent-to-good coffee (including vending machines),

Really? I'm struggling to comprehend a vending machine coffee being anything better than mediocre (and usually more like dirty water).

Won't crumpets and scones make her thirsty without tea?

Funny you should mention coffee, as that's something I can't easily drink in Germany. In Portugal, any place is guaranteed to have decent-to-good coffee (including vending machines), but in Germany, I have to search high and low to find something satisfying. On the other hand, they have better beer.

Tea is also something I drink more in Germany than in here, now that I think about it.

She normally just drinks sparking water or hot chocolate. Have never had a good cup of tea in Belgium, at least not the way I like it. Don't think any other country appreciates the tea as much as the British do, though. :D

Belgium beer has a great reputation, but I'm more of a cider drinker. From what I've seen, it's there, but it isn't as easily available as it is here. I imagine Germany rivals Belgium to some extent in the beer department.

One thing I really like about Belgium is the way that waffles and ice cream are sold on the streets/in the centre of town. It's a bit of a stereotype/generalisation, but they really do make the best waffles. The best thing about visiting different countries is each one has a different attitude to food, so it's interesting being able to experience this.

Have never had a good cup of tea in Belgium, at least not the way I like it. Don't think any other country appreciates the tea as much as the British do, though. :D

graph_tea_21.jpg

Sort your tea game out, Belgium!

Really? I'm struggling to comprehend a vending machine coffee being anything better than mediocre (and usually more like dirty water).

That's exactly what vending machine coffee tasted like in Germany, dirty water. In Portugal, it's pretty decent, so it was a nasty surprise when I put that junk on my lips.

One thing I really like about Belgium is the way that waffles and ice cream are sold on the streets/in the centre of town. It's a bit of a stereotype/generalisation, but they really do make the best waffles. The best thing about visiting different countries is each one has a different attitude to food, so it's interesting being able to experience this.

Exactly. Same deal with German sausages, every city has visible stands just selling those, and they're big enough to be your lunch. A rarer sight in Portugal, where we're more fond of sitting down and savouring food.

Any sales jobs going out there ;)

San Francisco is up there as one place i would loveeee to live!

Not right now, if I see one come up I'll be sure to pass it on to you!

Sign in to follow this