NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Hero-of-Time

Tekken 7

Looks like the rumor was true. A leaked IGN News video, published by AOL.com Video ahead of tonight’s official announcement, reveals Tekken 7 will be powered by Unreal Engine 4 and launch for current gen consoles.

“With Unreal Engine 4, we can rapidly achieve the visual quality expected on next-gen platforms and go beyond it,” Tekken series producer Katsuhiro Harada is quoted as saying in the video. “Not only is Unreal Engine 4 powerful and easy to use, but it allows us to easily bring Tekken 7 to any platform we desire.”

Further details were not announced.

No doubt we will get a trailer tonight at EVO.

I hope that the developers are Tekken their time with this one... ;)

...seriously though, this had better turn out better than Tekken 6 did. :indeed:

I wonder if any of the fighting game community were actually consulted during the making of Tekken 6. All of the character's characteristic movesets were fucked beyond belief and the camera was too low and close, as if it was trying to pull some sort of grim Kubrick look.

Tekken 5 was the series at its peak, but I really don't want to play the same game again with better tit physics, I'd rather they re-evaluate the sort of juggling heavy win scenarios that it traditionally incentivised, while keeping the majority of the movesets the same.

Tekken 6 was indeed wank. The loading times alone were so abysmal I decided to can it.

All about Tekken Tag though, a royal hoot that was in multiplayer. When I was a young doyle I'd repeatedly chug my way through the campaign using Gun Jack's 'Piston Gun Assault', performed by waiting for the AI to move forward and timing Left & Triangle, which makes him sit down and pump his iron arm forward to blast any muppet onto their arse.

King's wrestling move command list was always a good spectator's sport in practice mode. What a player.

Also: lol at Tekken ever being at the cusp of what is graphically possible

I wonder if any of the fighting game community were actually consulted during the making of Tekken 6. All of the character's characteristic movesets were fucked beyond belief and the camera was too low and close, as if it was trying to pull some sort of grim Kubrick look.

Tekken 5 was the series at its peak, but I really don't want to play the same game again with better tit physics, I'd rather they re-evaluate the sort of juggling heavy win scenarios that it traditionally incentivised, while keeping the majority of the movesets the same.

I didn't play Tekken 6, only Tekken Tag 2, but... The movesets were pretty much the same as in Tekken 5, I just picked up Hwoarang, Eddy and Steve and managed to pull off several combos that existed in T5, pretty much immediately. And of all the criticisms I heard of Tekken 6, "different movesets" wasn't one of them (in fact, it got praised for keeping the same movesets, unlike Soul Calibur, that arbitrarily changes them for every game)

As for the series barely changing since T5's release, oh definitely, it only built from what Tekken 5 did. I want them to rehaul a few things, for sure.

Also: lol at Tekken ever being at the cusp of what is graphically possible

That ending blew my mind when I was a kid. We can see the beard on the policeman's face!

As for in-game engines, I suppose Tekken was always the best-looking 3D fighting game of every generation it's been in. But only in that genre/sub-genre, true.

@Jonnas I never played Tag Tournament so I shouldn't comment on that, but as for Tekken 6, the extent to which the change in the movesets would annoy you really depends on your play style and who you play with. My two main characters, Paul and Heihachi had some of their best launches changed, arbitrarily so that instead of having an upward force, they had a downward force. Also, it seemed slower, and the moves were more telegraphed, to the point that you could tell what was coming several seconds before the move impacted.

On the whole it was a step down. I never read anything about it though, so I don't really know what other people's problems with it might have been.

Also yes, Tekken 3 was absolutely mind blowing graphically when it came out.

To be fair that was a bit flippant of me. I remember being wowed by Tekken 3 whenever I went to my cousin's house, we'd play that and Driver with all the cheat codes. Tekken 5 was really late in the PS2 cycle and received plaudits for graphics back in the day. Aside from those two, I don't think the series has been too hot. Possibly due to the series being simultaneously tied in with the arcade.

@Jonnas I never played Tag Tournament so I shouldn't comment on that, but as for Tekken 6, the extent to which the change in the movesets would annoy you really depends on your play style and who you play with. My two main characters, Paul and Heihachi had some of their best launches changed, arbitrarily so that instead of having an upward force, they had a downward force. Also, it seemed slower, and the moves were more telegraphed, to the point that you could tell what was coming several seconds before the move impacted.

Ok, fair enough. I'm thinking it might be due to the new "Bounce" mechanic where a downward force also works as a launcher, so they changed some moves based on that... but I always felt like it was a bad mechanic to begin with.

At least they didn't swap all the button inputs around :heh:

“Not only is Unreal Engine 4 powerful and easy to use, but it allows us to easily bring Tekken 7 to any platform we desire".

So they could bring it to the Wii U will probably decide not to.

Here comes a new challenger.

hI59IlC.gif

Both Tekken and SF fans seem very happy with this inclusion. Surprised they managed to keep it a secret.

Here comes a new challenger.

hI59IlC.gif

Both Tekken and SF fans seem very happy with this inclusion. Surprised they managed to keep it a secret.

Is Tekken X Street Fighter not still a thing, though? ::shrug:

I haven't exactly been following it, nor have I even played Street Fighter X Tekken, but I thought there was a Namco version coming out too at some point..

Akuma looks pretty cool in the Tekken universe, and fits the theme. I'm wary of the fact that his behaviour looks like it belongs on a SF engine, but maybe it'll look better on a hands-on demonstration.

Is Tekken X Street Fighter not still a thing, though? ::shrug:

I haven't exactly been following it, nor have I even played Street Fighter X Tekken, but I thought there was a Namco version coming out too at some point..

It's been under wraps for so long, I expected to either be cancelled, or be the same game as Tekken 7. No official cancellation so far, though.

Arriving 2nd June on PS4/One/PC.

C23FrXNVEAEuvAS.jpg

"We were trying our best to get the game out at that time, to get it into the hands of users as early as possible," said project leader Katsuhiro Harada told GameSpot during a press event in Tokyo last week. "We saw some titles--some from our own company and some from others--which didn't have a very good launch because of a lack of content, or whatever it was, that caused players to bash the product." Harada and team wanted to avoid a similar fate, deciding to continue forward with its original content plan, "even if that meant the game would come a little later."

According to Harada, the decision wasn't an easy one. "Although this is the first time we've actually announced a date, it wasn't always June. It came through a process and we made some hard decisions and that was the result." Apologetically, he added "'early' was probably March or April from your average person's perspective, so we're not going to try and sugar-coat it. We realise it's not 'early,' I'm so sorry!"

http://gematsu.com/2017/01/tekken-7-launches-june-2

PS4 exclusive features aside VR:

Lastly, the PlayStation 4 version of Tekken 7 will contain exclusive content: legacy costumes from Tekken 4 and Tekken 2 for King, Xiaoyu and Jin as well as a Jukebox Mode where fans can listen to classic Tekken music tracks and even create playlists of Tekken music to listen to while they play.

No Switch port despite Unreal etc. that some were begging for.

Man. Starting to wonder what's the point of hori releasing that arcade stick on switch. Anyway PS4 version for me then. Gonna be popping that okada from New Japan pro wrestling costume

First part of a story recap.

"I'm pregnant."

"Gotta go."

:laughing:

Saw Akuma, my SF main and preordered the fuck outta this. It's been a good long while since I gave Tekken a proper go.

SF4 professional Akuma player Poongko's been making the rounds in Tekken tournaments using Akuma. Seems like they kept him as close to his Street Fighter version as possible.

Hoping my copy of Tekken 7 gets dispatched today as I've got Thursday and Friday off this week.

I keep almost ordering Street Fighter V as well (despite owning it on PC) as I ordered the Hori Fighting Stick Mini 4 Tekken 7 bundle so it would be nice to have more fighting games to try it out with.

Hoping my copy of Tekken 7 gets dispatched today as I've got Thursday and Friday off this week.

I keep almost ordering Street Fighter V as well (despite owning it on PC) as I ordered the Hori Fighting Stick Mini 4 Tekken 7 bundle so it would be nice to have more fighting games to try it out with.

Didn't you order from Simply Games? People on Gaf had their copies shipped yesterday. My Shopto order still hasn't budged.

SFV is like £15 everywhere these days. I've had it on my shelf a while now ( picked it up early this year for that price at Argos ) and just need to get around to playing it.

Didn't you order from Simply Games? People on Gaf had their copies shipped yesterday. My Shopto order still hasn't budged.

SFV is like £15 everywhere these days. I've had it on my shelf a while now ( picked it up early this year for that price at Argos ) and just need to get around to playing it.

Nope, The Game Collection. That was the only place that had the fight stick bundle.

Nope, The Game Collection. That was the only place that had the fight stick bundle.

Ah. I see.

Reviews seem to be pretty strong for the game. It's been a long time since I was excited to play a Tekken game.

The only real complaints I have seen are about the story mode. Only about 2 hours long and maybe just a bit too weird. The opinions on the quality of it though seem to vary so I'm staying optimistic.

The only real complaints I have seen are about the story mode. Only about 2 hours long and maybe just a bit too weird. The opinions on the quality of it though seem to vary so I'm staying optimistic.

Tekken games have always had weird and wacky stories/endings, so i'm not too worried.

I mean, the series does feature a boxing kangaroo.

Sign in to follow this