NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Pokemon TCG GBC Coming To 3DS eShop!

Quadruple Poison for one energy is overkill...

Anyway, carried on a tad.

Next up, I took on the Fire club with my "You can't wash a" deck! I struggled, to be fair. I always struggle with Ken and his bloody Arcanine! Once I finally got a Blastoise after 2 defeats, it got a lot easier!

zlCfzSKyNbwIYSYwII

After getting the second promotional Mewtwo card, I modified my "Think about my" deck and went to the Fight Club.

However, turns out that was actually a movie...

So I went to the Fighting Club and fought Mitch.

zlCfzSKyQjAQ8-afj9

All it took was a Gastly...

I'm never gonna use those bloody Mewtwos, am I?

After that, I made a deck called "Jimmy set fire to my" deck and challenged the Grass Club.

zlCfzSKyS3cnrEMbTC

It seemed to be a bad start, my Eevee got paralysed on Nikki's first turn, but then I instantly drew a GB Flareon, and due to a double colourless and fire energy proceeded to grab Nikki's deck and rub it all over her stupid face in a circular motion while shouting "NEEERRRRRRRRRRRRR!"

All that's left is to take on the Grand Masters.

Anyway, carried on a tad.

Next up, I took on the Fire club with my "You can't wash a" deck! I struggled, to be fair. I always struggle with Ken and his bloody Arcanine! Once I finally got a Blastoise after 2 defeats, it got a lot easier!

If you think Arcanine was tough, Courtney is going to wreck you with her Ninetales, so here's some advice for this deck:

-Lapras, Horsea. Good for stalling while you build Blastoise in the back (Squirtle also works, if you got nothing else).

-Pokémon Trader, Computer Search. Get Blastoise, Squirtle or whoever else you need.

-Pokémon Breeder. Less cards, same result.

-Professor Oak, Bill. It would be embarrassing to run out of energy after Rain Dance is on. Plus, they just help with everything.

-Gyarados, Articuno, Dewgong. Get them heavy hitters up and running, if you can't build Blastoise, you can still build these guys.

Also, against fire, Staryus are deadly, and worth using.

-Lapras, Horsea. Good for stalling while you build Blastoise in the back (Squirtle also works, if you got nothing else).

-Pokémon Trader, Computer Search. Get Blastoise, Squirtle or whoever else you need.

-Pokémon Breeder. Less cards, same result.

-Professor Oak, Bill. It would be embarrassing to run out of energy after Rain Dance is on. Plus, they just help with everything.

-Gyarados, Articuno, Dewgong. Get them heavy hitters up and running, if you can't build Blastoise, you can still build these guys.

Also, against fire, Staryus are deadly, and worth using.

I only just got a Lapras! No kidding! I had one earlier. But I couldn't say no to that Promo.

Also, don't have an Articuno. Not one. My Water Pokemon really do suck on this run. I've spent about an hour grinding the Water club in the hope of getting more Lapras, Blastoise and Articuno.

Water Pokemon hate me...

I only just got a Lapras! No kidding! I had one earlier. But I couldn't say no to that Promo.

Also, don't have an Articuno. Not one. My Water Pokemon really do suck on this run. I've spent about an hour grinding the Water club in the hope of getting more Lapras, Blastoise and Articuno.

Water Pokemon hate me...

Lapras and Articuno are "Mystery" Booster packs only. Blastoise is "Evolution".

But hey, even if you don't have Articuno or Lapras, build with what you have. Dewgong and Gyarados are quite good too, and surely there are Colourless pokémon (like Kangaskhan) who can help the deck, too.

It sounded like you were going for a Rain Dance deck, so I just gave some pointers on what works. If you can't have everything, half-build it for now, and modify it as you play. In the end, only you know what works for you.

4xPoison for one energy!? What the effing eff!?

And why is he psychic?

Poison types have moved over from Grass cards.

SWEET JESUS!! How is that even legal? :o

I know, awesome right?

Sadly wasn't the meta at the time. Everyone was fisting LuxChomp decks at the time of the 'Bat (Which I played because I'm anti establishment, which is probably why I don't do that well at major tournaments) http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/LuxChomp_%28TCG%29

Quadruple Poison for one energy is overkill...

Just imagine if it was playable at the same time as Virbank City Gym Stadium card:

126-virbank-city-gym.jpg

Technically it is since there's a Team Plasma Crobat:

55-crobat.jpg

But it'd take too long to get going. It's all about "Big Basics" at the moment.

Edited by EEVILMURRAY

Just imagine if it was playable at the same time as Virbank City Gym Stadium card:

126-virbank-city-gym.jpg

Technically it is since there's a Team Plasma Crobat:

55-crobat.jpg

But it'd take too long to get going. It's all about "Big Basics" at the moment.

Every time you show me these cards, they seem so ridiculously overpowered that they make me feel old.

Everytime I see the old cards, they are so weak and underpowered it makes me feel old.

In case you needed proof that Ronald is a complete and utter dope!

zlCfzSLDOiEFbEPUdU

He had a perfectly OK Dragonite, and yet he STILL chose to rely on that dumb Moltres to try and finish me off.

So yeah, I'm done. Courtney was a cakewalk, didn't even get a chance to use her Ninetails before my Dewgong battered her. (Why couldn't that happen with Ken?)

I do believe that makes me the second person here to post this screenshot.

You must have JavaScript enabled on your device to view Miiverse posts that have been embedded in a website. View post in Miiverse

Waddaya win at the end?

You mean the legendary cards?

Firstly, there's this piece of crap. Firegiver is the only decent thing about it, if you're lucky.

gb_promo_2__moltres_by_ilkcmp-d4ppigl.png

Articuno is pretty decent though.

gb_promo_3__articuno_by_ilkcmp-d4ppiu0.png

Can't find an English version of this one...

Basically the Poke Power removes 20 damage from your active Pokemon and every Pokemon on your bench when Dragonite is put in play.

The attack is 30 times 2 coin flips. It's not bad. Possible 6 Potion usage in one turn can be very handy.

180px-DragoniteCardGBPromo.jpg

And finally, there's the worst of the lot!

180px-ZapdosGB1.jpg

That attack does 70 damage to a Pokemon at random, whether it's one of yours or not! The only way to guarantee you won't be hit with it is to have no Pokemon on your bench.

The Poke Power does the same thing when Zapdos is played, except it's 40 damage...

Useless!

I do believe that makes me the second person here to post this screenshot.

You must have JavaScript enabled on your device to view Miiverse posts that have been embedded in a website. View post in Miiverse

You know, when I read this, I thought you were saying Moltres and Zapdos are the only good ones... in fact, you were saying the opposite!

You mean the legendary cards?

Firstly, there's this piece of crap. Firegiver is the only decent thing about it, if you're lucky.

gb_promo_2__moltres_by_ilkcmp-d4ppigl.png

Articuno is pretty decent though.

gb_promo_3__articuno_by_ilkcmp-d4ppiu0.png

Can't find an English version of this one...

Basically the Poke Power removes 20 damage from your active Pokemon and every Pokemon on your bench when Dragonite is put in play.

The attack is 30 times 2 coin flips. It's not bad. Possible 6 Potion usage in one turn can be very handy.

180px-DragoniteCardGBPromo.jpg

And finally, there's the worst of the lot!

180px-ZapdosGB1.jpg

That attack does 70 damage to a Pokemon at random, whether it's one of yours or not! The only way to guarantee you won't be hit with it is to have no Pokemon on your bench.

The Poke Power does the same thing when Zapdos is played, except it's 40 damage...

Useless!

You're right, Moltres is only good for its Firegiver ability, which is amazing in a Fire deck. There's no "get lucky", you always get at least one energy, and if you Scoop it Up, you trigger the ability again.

Articuno is the one whose ability truly depends on luck. A coin toss for paralysis? That isn't particularly impressive. Ice Breath isn't bad, at least.

Dragonite is easily the worst of the lot. Slam has similar variations with other cards such as Poliwhirl, and even Dragonair! Its ability isn't good, either, as your damage counters aren't likely to be spread over your Pokémon (unless you use Alakazam to spread them for you).

Zapdos is almost broken. Yeah, he sucks if you fill your bench, but just build a deck that doesn't fill your bench, and he's much more of a terror. There was a famously broken deck in the GBC game, made of 2 Legendary Zapdos, 4 Potions, Super Potions, Full Heals, Bills, etc. and fill the rest with Electric Energies. No opponent in the game could stop that, and even humans had trouble with it.

The Japanese-only Pokémon TCG 2 actually had a similar deck as a hidden opponent!

Articuno is the one whose ability truly depends on luck. A coin toss for paralysis? That isn't particularly impressive.

It's rare to find an ability/attack which gives paralysis without a flip (Accelgor aside), because it's the sexiest out of all the special conditions. Poisoned/burned/confused Pokémon can just retreat, being put to sleep gives a second chance of it not working. The only hope is to evolve or Trainer card it out. and you'd be surprised how little Switch is played nowadays.

It's rare to find an ability/attack which gives paralysis without a flip (Accelgor aside), because it's the sexiest out of all the special conditions. Poisoned/burned/confused Pokémon can just retreat, being put to sleep gives a second chance of it not working. The only hope is to evolve or Trainer card it out. and you'd be surprised how little Switch is played nowadays.

That makes sense. I think Confusion is sexier, but Paralysis has a good case going for it. The fact that Articuno's ability is a one-off is pretty meh, though.

I'm actually not surprised at Switch not being common anymore. The cards you've shown here so far have 1 or no retreat cost.

It makes sense that the cards would be getting better, cause otherwise people wouldn't need to buy the new packs after a while! If they keep getting better with each new set then they are effectively forcing competitive people to buy them. It's all about the $$$

It makes sense that the cards would be getting better, cause otherwise people wouldn't need to buy the new packs after a while! If they keep getting better with each new set then they are effectively forcing competitive people to buy them. It's all about the $$$

This is pretty much true for Yu-Gi-Oh (I know they keep coming up with gimmicks to make a set more powerful than the last). I don't know about Pokémon, as the power creep seems subtler, it could just be a natural evolution of the game. The latter is a better option, turns off less players.

Magic is the one that knows they should reset the power level every couple of years so that cards don't become useless so soon.

That makes sense. I think Confusion is sexier, but Paralysis has a good case going for it.

I would disagree, for confusion you could simply not attack. For staying the active Pokémon, burn would be better. Although that would be after the game.

I'm actually not surprised at Switch not being common anymore. The cards you've shown here so far have 1 or no retreat cost.

Very true, apart from the low cost on the basics there's many ways around it now.

Darkrai EX gives your 'mon with dark energy attached free retreat.

Float Stone is a tool which gives free retreat. This is frequently used with Keldeo EX, which has an ability which allows it to become the active Pokémon. Got a paralyzed 'mon? "Rush in, retreat" has been such a common phrase over the year.

Ah, here's the tweest. They rotate sets out so older sets in main competitive play are illegal. So you really are forced to buy new sets if you want to stay competitive:

http://pokegym.net/tower/ shows you the current allowed sets and scans of them all. Click "switch to unlimited" and see all the sets and relive the nostalgia.

We're actually due for a new rotation sometime soon. Speculation is it's going to be Plasma Storm onwards.

I would disagree, for confusion you could simply not attack.

With Confusion, there's always a chance of things going badly for the opponent. Though I guess some of the allure is lost, what with the low retreat costs.

With Confusion, there's always a chance of things going badly for the opponent. Though I guess some of the allure is lost, what with the low retreat costs.

Same can be said for burn, which doesn't require an attack to be announced before it can be attempted. But both rely on a flip.

Which is why poison is the preferred condition as it's more consistent than both of them. It guarantees extra damage with no risk of it not happening.

Even more so since this bad boy got printed:

123-hypnotoxic-laser-500x500.jpg

Combine that with Virbank City Gym and you're doing an extra 30 damage.

So I went to to engage in Legendary Battle with Ronald and...

... Yeah... That just happened. Wow...

Good god man.

zlCfzSMbCvMB_dDttx

Yes indeed I do love it; and you should love it too!

Still got another 39 cards to go! (Haven't done any trades with Ishihara yet because I can't seem to get a sodding Clefable, so hopefully I'll be starting there!)

Still...

zlCfzSMbZk41hWJYWz

Don't think that's a bad time so far :)

Edited by Dcubed

I'm going to go out on a limb and say it was a Machop that did it :heh:

And you moan at me for not having enough Pokemon cards...

I'm going to go out on a limb and say it was a Machop that did it :heh:

Heh. Now that would actually be somewhat fair...

No it was his Legendary Zapdos. I only had one basic Pokemon, he drew Zapdos and benched it for 30 damage to me (its Pokepower does 30 damage to a random opposing Pokemon when benched). He then proceeds to use Scoop Up and does it again.

Bam! Dead... Credit where credit is due Ronald... You diddled me good there : peace: