NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Pokemon TCG GBC Coming To 3DS eShop!

Megaton + Hype!!!

Arrives this Thursday for £4.49.

LOVED this game back in the day. I never thought they would release it again. Happy days.

DAT MUSIC!!! :heart:

Such a crying shame that there will be no multiplayer in this rendition, but the game IS fully completable without trading (unlike the mainline games).

Such a fantastic game! One of Hudson's very best! :D

Now if only we could get the second game localised...

Im honestly so excited to play this again. It was a fantastic game and did an amazing job of teaching you how to play the actual card game.

Im honestly so excited to play this again. It was a fantastic game and did an amazing job of teaching you how to play the actual card game.

Yeah, it was a great introduction to the physical card game (as well as being a great game in of itself too of course!)

I've wanted a sequel for a long time... Why can't we have NDCUBE put to making a new one for 3DS!?

I wonder if they are testing the waters for a new game? I would love to see a 3DS version.

Well, that's me listening to the OST while I'm sitting here at work.

*heads for youtube*

Is this game good even if you don't like Pokemon but love top trumps? :)

Is this game good even if you don't like Pokemon but love top trumps? :)

Yeah, you don't have to like Pokemon to enjoy this. Keep in mind though that this is a (basic) RPG that happens to have card battles instead of your typical turn-based fighting. It's not just a Pokemon TCG simulator...

what

WHAT?! O _ O

Okay, this is the kind of news I like waking up to. (I kid you not, I thought I was still dreaming at first.)

Well, that came out of nowhere! One of my favourite Game Boy Colour games by a long shot.

Such a crying shame that there will be no multiplayer in this rendition, but the game IS fully completable without trading (unlike the mainline games).

Someone's forgetting about the Phantom Cards!

You can never get this Venusaur without multiplayer.

180px-VenusaurWizardsPromo13.jpg

(There's also a Mew one, but it sucks, so no-one cares.)

Well, that came out of nowhere! One of my favourite Game Boy Colour games by a long shot.

Someone's forgetting about the Phantom Cards!

You can never get this Venusaur without multiplayer.

180px-VenusaurWizardsPromo13.jpg

(There's also a Mew one, but it sucks, so no-one cares.)

Yeah, you're right, I did forget about them... but aren't they counted as "extra" cards? IIRC, the game doesn't actually count them when it comes to filling out your collection - much like how Mew in RBY isn't required in order for your Pokedex to be counted as "completed" in the game itself.

Yeah, you're right, I did forget about them... but aren't they counted as "extra" cards? IIRC, the game doesn't actually count them when it comes to filling out your collection - much like how Mew in RBY isn't required in order for your Pokedex to be counted as "completed" in the game itself.

I do remember it being like that.

But come on, you'll know deep down it won't feel quite complete. Because you and I are nuts about things like that.

Am working on bringing my site up to date. Have had TCG GB on my "to-do" list for a while...this has forced my hand. Have to rush it out.

I do remember it being like that.

But come on, you'll know deep down it won't feel quite complete. Because you and I are nuts about things like that.

True, but I'm more bothered by the lack of multiplayer. It's still a great single player game sure, but the lack of any multi will sting badly :(

Either way, I don't think that it's a sign of the mainline games coming to the VC because they're just so badly crippled without their original multiplayer modes...

Edited by Dcubed

Ahhh... I remember playing this back in the day! So good! Just a shame I got stuck at maybe the 5th or 6th gym and could never get passed it no matter how I arranged my deck or how my cards were drawn. Still loved it every second and spent so long trying new deck ideas in failed attempts to pass that point, some of which I ended up using when playing the real game with friends at school (and subsequently wiping the floor with everyone :grin:)

Keep thinking about getting a 3DS again and would so love to play this all over... nnnngggg! Must resist!

Ahh, the game that gave me a vague clue about how to actually play this game.

Also this:

180px-MeowthWizardsPromo10.jpg

Ahh, the game that gave me a vague clue about how to actually play this game.

Huh... I was the complete opposite.

I adored the card game as a kid. But after I played the GBC game, I think my interest in the actual card game started to diminish.

Not because I didn't enjoy the game, it's a solid game and easily worth spending a fiver on.

I meant that nobody at school knew/cared how to actually play it properly, only really bothering with collecting them. Once the game came along I took a slight interest in playing it.

This is an excellent game, fantastic to see it revisited :hehe: I kept playing this looong after the Pokémon craze died down. Even after I got my DS! On par with Advance Wars on the level of addictiveness.

Basically, as long as you keep experimenting with new strategies, there is always something to do. I remember building a Magnemite/Self-destruct deck and trying to beat everyone in the game with it. Fantastic stuff (Steve was a bitch to defeat, though).

The main flaw with the game is that the AI is easily exploitable, and makes the same mistakes repeatedly.

The sequel was much improved (even acknowledging the metagame's broken strategies!), and I only had the opportunity to play it on a recently-translated ROM (maybe I could play it on my phone..?), so I would love to see them release an official English version.

Or better yet, a brand new TCG Videogame :grin:

That post has actually got me a bit excited. Was never interested in the Trading Cards, now Yu-Gi-Oh was something special, but when it came to Pokemon I mainly stuck with the show.

Yeah I'm the same as Dem0 - never bothered with the trading card 'game'. I collected the fuck outta the cards, but never played them.

This sounds massively interesting though.

Never knew anything about it until now, but a game that follows a similar path to the main series, only you use trading cards to battle instead of actual caught Pokemon with move sets you choose? Count me in!

Question: how do you get cards in the game? Do you collect them, find them, buy them?

Question: how do you get cards in the game? Do you collect them, find them, buy them?

You get booster packs every time you defeat an opponent. Some cards (the "Promo" cards) can only be obtained by fulfilling certain conditions (winning a tournament, defeating the same rare opponent 3 times, trading with NPCs, etc.).

Collecting them can be a pain if you're only missing a couple of rares (much like in real life :heh:). I swear, Beedrill is the rarest thing in the game.

I remember being outfoxed by the computer when I tried to save and reload on a coin toss moment. It was auto-programmed to fail in the event of you trying to do that. :(

Good music in this game, for sure. :awesome:

Ahhh... I remember playing this back in the day! So good! Just a shame I got stuck at maybe the 5th or 6th gym and could never get passed it no matter how I arranged my deck or how my cards were drawn. Still loved it every second and spent so long trying new deck ideas in failed attempts to pass that point, some of which I ended up using when playing the real game with friends at school (and subsequently wiping the floor with everyone :grin:)

Keep thinking about getting a 3DS again and would so love to play this all over... nnnngggg! Must resist!

Same problem here! I restarted the game a few times over the years but there was a point I couldn't get past. I just couldn't figure out how to put together a winning deck. ::shrug: I fired it up *relatively* recently (withing the past 5 years....?) only to discover the battery is dead. :(

Don't know if I'd be bothered with having another stab at TCG but if a bunch of you's are getting it, a forum-wide group playthrough could be fun.

Don't know if I'd be bothered with having another stab at TCG but if a bunch of you's are getting it, a forum-wide group playthrough could be fun.

Forgive my newness, but what does that mean? Is it just everyone talking about their playthrough?