NEurope
Goron_3

Gaming Podcasts: A Thread about Listening to Others

Listening to Jonnys goodbye was hard. The guy was so hard on himself, thinking that he never had anything new to say and feeling like he was holding the show back. :(

His prescription for Nintendo was very fitting and his words to the Nintendo fans really spoke to me, given how i'm feeling about them these days.

Listening to Jonnys goodbye was hard. The guy was so hard on himself, thinking that he never had anything new to say and feeling like he was holding the show back. :(

I know, but that's just a symptom of his being in charge for so long. The show was so tight and his discussions always had something new to say, going to miss the guy badly.

@Hero\-of\-Time did you ever get around to listening to the Beastcast? If not its possibly more up your alley than the Bombcast. A lot more positive and they tend to have deeper conversations now than the Bombcast as well.

@Hero\-of\-Time did you ever get around to listening to the Beastcast? If not its possibly more up your alley than the Bombcast. A lot more positive and they tend to have deeper conversations now than the Bombcast as well.

Not yet. I'll give the latest episode a listen.

His prescription for Nintendo was very fitting and his words to the Nintendo fans really spoke to me, given how i'm feeling about them these days.

I'm glad they didn't edit out the tears at the end because god damn, I was holding back tears too! I'm sad now :(

I'm glad they didn't edit out the tears at the end because god damn, I was holding back tears too! I'm sad now :(

It was so emotional. Had I been at home I would have been crying my eyes out but I was listening to it at work and had to hold it together.

The passion Jonny has for the podcast and the team is really something special. He's a Nintendo fan at heart but is always willing to criticise them when need be. This is what made me fall in love with this podcast. It was a fan podcast but not a fanboy one.

I'm gonna miss him. :(

I got around to listening the Beastcast over the weekend. The problem I have with it is that it's too similar to Giant Bombs format of having loads of random banter. While i've grown to enjoy that from the Bombcast crew, it's not something I really want to listen to on another gaming podcast.

Speaking of the random bantz, I loved last weeks Bombcast where they were talking about different breakfast cereals and how Riker was THE man in Star Trek. I had a good laugh at both of those segments.

Speaking of the random bantz, I loved last weeks Bombcast where they were talking about different breakfast cereals and how Riker was THE man in Star Trek. I had a good laugh at both of those segments.

I really want them to do a series now chronicling Dan's journey through Star Trek TNG

I really want them to do a series now chronicling Dan's journey through Star Trek TNG

I would love that! There's some gold in that series and would love to hear what he thinks of certain episodes, especially stuff like when Picard gets caught and tortured by the Cardassians or when he gets assimilated by the Borg. Great stuff. :D

I was sad when they dismissed DS9 and Voyager, though. The war arc in DS9 was amazing and I thought Voyager was fantastic, especially once Seven (:heart:) and the Borg were introduced.

Man, I miss watching Star Trek on a weekly basis. :(

I would love that! There's some gold in that series and would love to hear what he thinks of certain episodes, especially stuff like when Picard gets caught and tortured by the Cardassians or when he gets assimilated by the Borg. Great stuff. :D

I was sad when they dismissed DS9 and Voyager, though. The war arc in DS9 was amazing and I thought Voyager was fantastic, especially once Seven (:heart:) and the Borg were introduced.

Man, I miss watching Star Trek on a weekly basis. :(

Yeah. I get what they mean about DS9 though. I hated it when it first started and it took years of people telling me how good it was for me to power through the first season or so and really start enjoying it. Its like with TNG I guess, that gets great when they get the collars and Riker gets his full beard. DS9 gets good when Sisko gets his beard and shaves his head! lol

I enjoyed Voyager but it was definitely an aquired taste. Especially if you couldnt get past Janeway's voice. She should have grown a beard and everything would have been fine!

Yeah. I get what they mean about DS9 though. I hated it when it first started and it took years of people telling me how good it was for me to power through the first season or so and really start enjoying it. Its like with TNG I guess, that gets great when they get the collars and Riker gets his full beard. DS9 gets good when Sisko gets his beard and shaves his head! lol

I enjoyed Voyager but it was definitely an aquired taste. Especially if you couldnt get past Janeway's voice. She should have grown a beard and everything would have been fine!

I'm laughing my back off at my desk here at work. Good stuff.

I loved Janeway. She took no bull from anyone and was quite hard as nails at times. I supposed she had to be given the situation they were in.

Funny about the characters changing appearance and then the shows coming into their own. For some reason I respected Sisko far more once he had a goatee. :D

Just listened to last weeks Giant Bomb and was in stitches over the stink bomb story. It's pure genius! @Happenstance did you get a good laugh at it?

I'm getting a bit tired of listening to Nintendo Voice Chat. All they seem to talk about is Splatoon and Mario Maker. Probably not their fault and more to do with the barren release schedule on Nintendo platforms. At least Radio Free Nintendo keeps things fresh with their discussions on what they are playing.

Just listened to last weeks Giant Bomb and was in stitches over the stink bomb story. It's pure genius! @Happenstance did you get a good laugh at it?

Dan Ryckert just has so many stories like that, its nuts! One of my favourites was how he used to just sit next to the door at a bar and card people as they came in, despite the fact he didnt work there lol.

I'm getting a bit tired of listening to Nintendo Voice Chat. All they seem to talk about is Splatoon and Mario Maker. Probably not their fault and more to do with the barren release schedule on Nintendo platforms. At least Radio Free Nintendo keeps things fresh with their discussions on what they are playing.

NVC is the best one for me, love listening to those guys. Helps I love Splatoon and couldn't be more excited for mario Maker though :)

What do you think of James hosting NWR? Greg is a great addition. James isn't as annoying as he was, but he still is a bit, he's so self-indulgent though, he makes me cringe so many times when I listen.

NVC is the best one for me, love listening to those guys. Helps I love Splatoon and couldn't be more excited for mario Maker though :)

What do you think of James hosting NWR? Greg is a great addition. James isn't as annoying as he was, but he still is a bit, he's so self-indulgent though, he makes me cringe so many times when I listen.

Greg seems like a Nintendo fanboy, therefore I dislike him.

NVC isn't half as good as Beyond or even Podcast unlocked. With both of them the IGN crew have a right laugh and go off topic for the lols. There's also plenty of discussion about various games, whereas NVC is Splatoon, Mario Maker, Splatoon, Mario Maker...zzzzzzzz.

Greg seems like a Nintendo fanboy, therefore I dislike him.

NVC isn't half as good as Beyond or even Podcast unlocked. With both of them the IGN crew have a right laugh and go off topic for the lols. There's also plenty of discussion about various games, whereas NVC is Splatoon, Mario Maker, Splatoon, Mario Maker...zzzzzzzz.

Ya missing the days of Casamassina and Bozon? :indeed:

Ya missing the days of Casamassina and Bozon? :indeed:

I never listened to it back then. To be honest I'm not a fan of Jose. He seems far too up Nintendo's backside. Love Brian and Peer, though.

I never listened to it back then. To be honest I'm not a fan of Jose. He seems far too up Nintendo's backside. Love Brian and Peer, though.

Would that be Jose Otero? If so, I wasn't the biggest fan of his input on 1UP. Though I eventually warmed to him a bit - there wasn't really much choice! There was a guy did a short lived run of retro podcasts (maybe even videos) on IGN a while back. Can't for the life of me remember his name but his voice was perfect.

So I listened to my first episode of Retronauts yesterday. They done a MGS episode, so I figured I would download it and give it a listen. This wasn't the one I listened to first, though. I seen they had done a LTTP episode just before the MGS one and decided to try that one out first.

It was great hearing people discuss one of my favourite games of all time and there were even a few things that got mentioned that I didn't even know about.

Listening to all the banter and hearing some music samples really gives me the urge to play the game again. That would mean unpacking my Wii U again, so no.

I look forward to hear their thoughts on the MGS series.

So I listened to my first episode of Retronauts yesterday.

Great stuff. :awesome: Yeah they are a pretty knowledgeable bunch, aren't they? The Link to the Past episode is a good one, I agree. I'm yet to listen to the MGS one this week (when I've visited the site it hasn't been updated - could be an issue on my end?) but I'm looking forward to seeing what I can learn. Having not played any MGS games that I can remember bar a minute or two of the Twin Snakes, I'm sure to learn plenty.

So I listened to my first episode of Retronauts yesterday. They done a MGS episode, so I figured I would download it and give it a listen. This wasn't the one I listened to first, though. I seen they had done a LTTP episode just before the MGS one and decided to try that one out first.

It was great hearing people discuss one of my favourite games of all time and there were even a few things that got mentioned that I didn't even know about.

Listening to all the banter and hearing some music samples really gives me the urge to play the game again. That would mean unpacking my Wii U again, so no.

I look forward to hear their thoughts on the MGS series.

You've just sold me on my next thing to listen to when I'm doing stuff in the kitchen :p

You've just sold me on my next thing to listen to when I'm doing stuff in the kitchen :p

Definitely, man. They research each episode really well.

PS @Hero\-of\-Time, dig your GBA Micro out and blast through Link to the Past on that.

Definitely, man. They research each episode really well.

PS @Hero\-of\-Time, dig your GBA Micro out and blast through Link to the Past on that.

I'd second that HoT! I'm intrigued to see what secrets this podcast might hold too, as I don't think there's anything I don't know but time shall tell!

Just finished listening to this weeks RFN. You listened to it yet, @Goron_3?

I'm still not struck on Greg being a main contributor. The dude was shocking on this weeks episode when the discussion about Sin & Punishment came up. I mean, it was Jon who played the game, it was his new business, yet he kept butting in and having his say. At one point James directly asked Jon about it, yet Greg answered.

I also find his voice a little grating at times. For some reason I imagine him as being a really obese bloke. Dunno why. :wtf:

I could tell Gui was getting annoyed with James during the Inazuma Eleven conversation. Gui was right though, that game could have done with really trimming the fat, but, as James pointed out, it is made for the younger audience.

Their conversation about games journalism was great. Just because you have a site, review games etc. doesn't make you a journalist. It was refreshing to hear this from people who have spent 15+ years running a website.

I have yet to start this weeks Giant Bomb episode but apparently its pretty much all MGSV talk. :yay: You had a listen to it yet, @Happenstance?