NEurope
Goron_3

Gaming Podcasts: A Thread about Listening to Others

I never miss an episode of IGN Game Scoop, NVC and Kinda Funny. Scoop is less enjoyable without Greg Millar but I still love it. If those guys recommend a game I'd be interested in I'll usually just go and buy it without giving it a second thought, for instance, Darkest Dungeon.

I never miss an episode of IGN Game Scoop, NVC and Kinda Funny. Scoop is less enjoyable without Greg Millar but I still love it. If those guys recommend a game I'd be interested in I'll usually just go and buy it without giving it a second thought, for instance, Darkest Dungeon.

I'm looking forward to this weeks Kinda Funny. Greg has been predicting Uncharted 4 would be delayed for ages now and I wanna hear what he has to say about it now that it's finally come true. :D

I'm looking forward to this weeks Kinda Funny. Greg has been predicting Uncharted 4 would be delayed for ages now and I wanna hear what he has to say about it now that it's finally come true. :D

The recent episode where they compared 3DS and Vita had me in stitches, so funny.

Listening to the new episode of RFN this morning and was sad to hear about Nintendos reluctance to get the engine that runs Axiom Verge up and running on the Wii U. This game has been hinted for greatness for a long while now and you would have thought they would have wanted it on their platform.

I remember last years E3 incident Jonny was on about. Reggie came up to the guy and looked at his game. Reggie said something along the lines of "Hey that looks a lot like Metroid " and the guy making Axiom Verge replied " Well someone has to make it ". Classic. :D

*passes burn ointment to Reggie*

I'm slowly coming around to the Giant Bomb guys and format. I'm actually starting to enjoy their random banter at the start of the show. The only thing i'm not keen on is the constant dropping of F-Bombs. There really is no need for it. Still, I think they've got their hooks into me now.

Edited by Hero-of-Time

There are a lot of "Best of the Bombcast" videos on Youtube which I would recommend going through if you are ever bored and want something to listen to. Some great moments in there and its nice to go back to when the whole crew was together (and Ryan Davis was still alive) instead of split between New York and San Fransisco.

This weeks RFN was pretty awesome and as always I'd recommend it to everyone.

I burst out laughing during New Business though when they were talking about the 3D effect on Outrun. James came out with 'Alternatively you could just take $300 and wave it in front of your face for the same effect' :D

This weeks RFN was pretty awesome and as always I'd recommend it to everyone.

I burst out laughing during New Business though when they were talking about the 3D effect on Outrun. James came out with 'Alternatively you could just take $300 and wave it in front of your face for the same effect' :D

Haha. I loved that part.

I was quite surprised how Jonny reacted to the spoilers topic. Personally I hate things being spoiled for me, especially when a game is very heavy on narrative.

I had to actually stop listening to a few podcasts the other week as they were on the brink of spoiling stuff for The Order. Luckily I managed to knock them off before anything was spoiled for me. I listened to them once I had finished the game for myself.

I personally think it's their duty as journalists/podcast hosts to not spoil anything like that. Gameplay mechanics are fine but plot points aren't, especially if the game has just been released and is very story driven.

I loved Kinda Funny's Gamescast the week before last, with Keza MacDonald. She's fantastic, talks so much sense and loads of interesting things to say. I wish IGN hadn't let her go.

I listened to it, I agree completely about NX, I've been saying since the hybrid rumours started of two separate consoles but acting pretty much like the iphone and ipad. So all iPhone games work on iPad, some up-ressed, and then the home console getting exclusives. Home console as powerful as the PS4/XB1 and the portable as powerful as... is the Wii U too much?!

I listened to it, I agree completely about NX, I've been saying since the hybrid rumours started of two separate consoles but acting pretty much like the iphone and ipad. So all iPhone games work on iPad, some up-ressed, and then the home console getting exclusives. Home console as powerful as the PS4/XB1 and the portable as powerful as... is the Wii U too much?!

I haven't gotten that far yet. Just listened to the new business section but will probably finish the episode off during the drive back from work.

Should this go here? Probably. It's mandatory viewing and so, so funny. Is this the norm? I only see The Final Bosman now and again.

Let's Be Direct - Mandatory Update

Just listening to 'The Day The Music Died', which was the first RFN episode released after the 2013 December NPD sales were released.

Honestly, it's one of the best podcast episodes that I've ever listened to. God damn.

Just listening to 'The Day The Music Died', which was the first RFN episode released after the 2013 December NPD sales were released.

Honestly, it's one of the best podcast episodes that I've ever listened to. God damn.

I went back and listened to that episode the other day. I don't think i've ever heard Jonny so upset. It really was a dark time for Nintendo.

Jon talking about calling a guy at school altered beast nearly had me crying with laughter. Fantastic. :bowdown:

Another great episode of RFN this week, although I didn't care for Karen being on the show.

There was a great discussion about backlogs and how to tackle them, with Jon seeming to be the worst offender.

I like how James has a structure or battle plan on what he wants to play. I know it's something I usually do and it makes me more focused and able to tackle and finish more games.

I think Jon was right in that people need to stop buying games in a sale just because they are in a sale. Most of these games go on sale numerous times and why buy them if they are just going to sit there anyway?

I also liked James' idea of making a list/checklist. It's very much what we have going on in the Gaming Diary thread and it will be nice to look back at the end of the year to see what games we managed to get through.

@Happenstance have you listened to this weeks Giant Bomb yet? I'm only an hour or so into it but they had a great segment with David Wise Vs Grant Kirkhope music. I got me a perfect score. I do love me some Wise and Kirkhope though. :D

@Happenstance have you listened to this weeks Giant Bomb yet? I'm only an hour or so into it but they had a great segment with David Wise Vs Grant Kirkhope music. I got me a perfect score. I do love me some Wise and Kirkhope though. :D

I havent got around to it yet but I saw the NeoGaf GB thread were talking about it. Looking forward to it.

Listened to the beginning of RFN today on my run, all about Splatoon. Found it really irritating, Guillame the only decent one. And not just because hw as positive, but the others were unfoundedly negative/cynical on it, then sort of said Guillame doesn't have a right to be a fan as we don't know yet... except he's played it. And he is the only one who actually watched the direct showing what the game does have and coming etc.

Ultimately it ended up becoming more balanced, all saying it was fun, but they're worried about it etc. It was just the it was okay for them to be cynical based on nothing they've actually witnessed, just that nintendo haven't made a game of its sort before... But then played down people being fans of it because they haven't played the full game.... And the fact none of them had seen the direct... this is a nintendo gaming site and they haven't been bothered to watch it, but slag it off for things the direct disproved...

I don't know, irritating, made me run faster though :)

I know Guillame gets a lot of stick on here, I think he's the best one of the lot!

Listened to the beginning of RFN today on my run, all about Splatoon. Found it really irritating, Guillame the only decent one. And not just because hw as positive, but the others were unfoundedly negative/cynical on it, then sort of said Guillame doesn't have a right to be a fan as we don't know yet... except he's played it. And he is the only one who actually watched the direct showing what the game does have and coming etc.

Ultimately it ended up becoming more balanced, all saying it was fun, but they're worried about it etc. It was just the it was okay for them to be cynical based on nothing they've actually witnessed, just that nintendo haven't made a game of its sort before... But then played down people being fans of it because they haven't played the full game.... And the fact none of them had seen the direct... this is a nintendo gaming site and they haven't been bothered to watch it, but slag it off for things the direct disproved...

I don't know, irritating, made me run faster though :)

I know Guillame gets a lot of stick on here, I think he's the best one of the lot!

I knew you wouldn't like that.

My issue is that Jon said it looked bare bones and Guillame said that there's a bunch of stuff and gameplay modes but failed to say that none most of these weren't at launch.

You have to remember that Jon is a shooter guy and is used to play games with an array of gameplay options, whereas Guillame doesn't really care for the genre and hasn't enough experience to compare things with. He even admits that in a roundabout way.

It's interesting because these guys are mimicking what is going around on a lot of forums. Those who play and enjoy other shooters aren't feeling this game while those who don't usually care for the genre are finding it fun. Ignorance is bliss. :D

I still think Guillame is the worst of the bunch. He's not very knowledgeable about anything outside is comfort zone and has very little input when talking about the other consoles. He comes off as a fanboy at times. A big reason why I love this podcast, and the other hosts, is because they are unbiased towards Nintendo and call them out on stuff they don't agree with. It's very refreshing.

I knew you wouldn't like that.

My issue is that Jon said it looked bare bones and Guillame said that there's a bunch of stuff and gameplay modes but failed to say that none most of these weren't at launch.

You have to remember that Jon is a shooter guy and is used to play games with an array of gameplay options, whereas Guillame doesn't really care for the genre and hasn't enough experience to compare things with. He even admits that in a roundabout way.

It's interesting because these guys are mimicking what is going around on a lot of forums. Those who play and enjoy other shooters aren't feeling this game while those who don't usually care for the genre are finding it fun. Ignorance is bliss. :D

I still think Guillame is the worst of the bunch. He's not very knowledgeable about anything outside is comfort zone and has very little input when talking about the other consoles. He comes off as a fanboy at times. A big reason why I love this podcast, and the other hosts, is because they are unbiased towards Nintendo and call them out on stuff they don't agree with. It's very refreshing.

haha, it redeemed itself, and surprisingly James quite quiet on the matter :)

I sort of get what you're saying, but I think it was the immediate cynicism, especially when him and Johnny clearly didn't that much about it, watch the direct etc And then sort of demeaning Guillaume's opinion when actually he has played it and what better way to have an opinion on it and watched the direct so knows more whats coming.

I think it was the way they were going about it, more than the opinion itself. In that regard it reminded me of this forum :) Not the opinions, but the articulation of it.

I guess I'm a pretty positive person in general and I always find it slightly weird how peoples instincts are more negative/cynical, especially when I feel it is unwarranted and uneducated.

Here's what Jonny had to say about things.

I agree with everything Jon said and couldn't have put it any better. I'm intrigued, amused by what I've played so far. I also have major questions about how this game will perform online, and whether Nintendo's radical social experiments with community-building will be effective. These are questions that neither the E3 demo, nor the Direct, nor the online beta can answer.

It's still early days, but I wonder if the surprising loyalty towards Splatoon that we are seeing lately could be due to Nintendo fans around the world getting to play an unreleased game, from their own couches, for the first time I can recall. People are excited to see this kind of forward thinking from Nintendo, and their minds race at the possibilities.

And if there's any truth in my assessment above, I'd like to submit that the collective experiences at media events among all four of us provide a somewhat different perspective on things like this. We have all played early versions of Nintendo games, over a lot of years, and we have been burned by going hard "for" or "against" a game based on some demo, while the final experience proved to be much more (or less) than first promised. It pays to have a certain skepticism in this business, to avoid speculation in favor of evaluating the known facts. I can see how that comes across as aloof or pessimistic to some people, but it's not. We are trying to think about things other people might have missed, and in this case, I think Jon and I are really waiting to see what kind of post-launch environment is cultivated around the game, rather than the game's actual content. That's why we blew off Guillaume's complaint that we just needed to watch the Direct.

By the way, please keep in mind that Nintendo Direct is a marketing tool. If Nintendo is concerned about certain shortcomings at launch, like relatively few maps and partial matchmaking, they can try to make up for the image hit by dumping a ton of details on the content that will be there on day one. Those presentations are all about making the product look as good as possible. What you don't need is a Nintendo podcast to simply regurgitate Nintendo's talking points. We are here to evaluate and argue and revisit and listen.

I think everything he has said here is spot on.

Here's what Jonny had to say about things.

I think everything he has said here is spot on.

When did he write that? They did come across like - it's fine to be sceptical even though we enjoyed what we played and haven't seen the direct, but you can't say you're a fan yet, even though you may have loved what you played and excited by what they're premising from the direct. Just didn't like that general tone in the podcast.

As for what he's saying, it's all fine. Like I said before it isn't just the opinion, but the expression of it. Different perspectives I guess but I'd always prefer to be positive if they evidence leans that way.

It is good to interrogate and explore other thoughts, but doesn't affect tone. I couldn't be more excited for this game, but I can definitely interrogate the lack of voice chat, how irritating not changing weapons mid-lobby, can look at how the slow release of maps and modes will work etc. IGN are much better at that balance for me, they interrogate and express concerns and critical thought, but seem more reasonable about it all, more balanced.

Edited by dazzybee

When did he write that? They did come across like - it's fine to be sceptical even though we enjoyed what we played and haven't seen the direct, but you can't say you're a fan yet, even though you may have loved what you played and excited by what they're premising from the direct. Just didn't like that general tone in the podcast.

As for what he's saying, it's all fine. Like I said before it isn't just the opinion, but the expression of it. Different perspectives I guess but I'd always prefer to be positive if they evidence leans that way.

It is good to interrogate and explore other thoughts, but doesn't affect tone. I couldn't be more excited for this game, but I can definitely interrogate the lack of voice chat, how irritating not changing weapons mid-lobby, can look at how the slow release of maps and modes will work etc. IGN are much better at that balance for me, they interrogate and express concerns and critical thought, but seem more reasonable about it all, more balanced.

He wrote that on Gaf.

I think IGN have to be like that and can't be too critical. They are still a major outlet and have strong ties with NoA, whereas NWR are just a fan site and can be critical without the fear of upsetting Nintendo.

I guess I'm a pretty positive person in general and I always find it slightly weird how peoples instincts are more negative/cynical, especially when I feel it is unwarranted and uneducated.

Do you let your cousin on your account when venturing into the other consoles board or something? :heh: