NEurope
Goron_3

Gaming Podcasts: A Thread about Listening to Others

When on the Gameinformer site last week to look at their Xenoblade Chronicles 3 review, I noticed a link to a Nintendo podcast. So of course I made a mental note.

Introducing All Things Nintendo – A New Podcast From Game Informer! - Game  Informer

All Things Nintendo is a weekly podcast covering all the biggest games, news, and topics surrounding the most beloved name in gaming. Join host Brian Shea and different guests as they talk about the past, present, and future of Nintendo. New episodes release every Friday.

https://www.gameinformer.com/allthingsnintendo

It's been going since October 2021 so there's plenty to get through. I  put one on today and it seemed like easy enough background listening.

• Like 1

I've actually been looking for another podcast to listen to. I only have Sacred Symbols on my weekly list and so having a Nintendo focused one will offer a nice contrast. I'll give it a whirl.

I listened to an episode of it yesterday evening while I was grinding levels in Children of Morta. Not bad but not great either. I chose the Live A Live episode to listen to which may have been a mistake giving my dislike of the game. :D There were only two of them on the episode which isn't a great number. I usually prefer at least 3 so that the conversation has a lot of back and forth. I'll download another one and give it a listen.

It's been too long since I listened to a decent Nintendo podcast. There seems to be lots of them but finding one that appeals to me has proven to be pretty hard.

I listened to one and a bit yesterday and a bit and one today. Seemed all right without going overly in-depth. I quite like that they take time to touch on their own experience of discovering Nintendo rather than just regurgitating the news of the week. Makes it a bit more personable. Another voice in the mix might be nice, you're probably right about that.

Started listening to the early Patreon release of this week's Easy Allies Podcast this morning, and it starts out with Blood mentioning that their income is getting a little on the lean side; it's been plugged a lot more in recent months (especially after last month's credit card issue on Patreon), but this is the first time I can recall it being said straight up top.

I'm trying to look on the positive side, but while we've talked about it on here before, the impression that I'm getting is that the days left of the Allies - in its current form, at least - are growing severely limited :(

Edited by Julius

It's a shame but the writing has been on the wall for a while, basically since the start of the pandemic, keeping on top of the costs of running the studio in the face of dwindling financial support was only feasible if they eventually saw an upturn in supporters. Unfortunately their Patron drives and the announcement of a shake up in how they operate only brought the numbers up temporarily and they were still nowhere near the $50k a month they were drawing in when they moved to the studio. 

The departures obviously haven't helped matters, losing Kyle was a big blow that they didn't really recover from, and then the double whammy of losing Brandon and Ben really damaged morale and scuppered any momentum they might have had. But even if all 9 allies were still there, they would still be facing an uphill battle to cover their outgoings. The cost of living crisis that is affecting people all over the world will surely have hit their Patreon numbers but the Allies would have been directly impacted by the crisis too, energy costs for running the studio will surely be pretty steep, so they're being squeezed on all sides. 

I cancelled my pledge at the end of July, I've been supporting them ever since 2017 but have definitely been drifting away from them for a while, so I didn't feel like I was watching enough of their output to justify the monthly cost. I hope they continue on in some form, it would be a shame if they all had to split apart, but I think it was a mistake to try and emulate everything about Game Trailers, they definitely needed to leave the garage but I think investing so much in the studio was unnecessary. Having multiple cameras has been detrimental to the quality of their podcasts for a start, I never understood why they needed to have someone operating the switcher, it was a silly hangover from the GT days, most of their shows would be fine with a single camera (it's only really Mysterious Monsters that took advantage of it). They just needed somewhere with a bit more room than the garage, there was no need to go all out on building a 'professional' studio, besides being a huge money sink it created a different expectation in viewers minds, making them seem more like a corporate concern than a bunch of friends doing what they loved.