Sign in to follow this  
Goron_3

Gaming Podcasts: A Thread about Listening to Others

1 minute ago, Julius Caesar said:

I can see where you’re coming from, and I for one would certainly want to hear about their views on reviewing games, but let’s not forget that they have received a lot of heat from their audience for talking about controversial topics (off the top of my head, they talked about Pewdiepie last year and something to do with Bethesda and Nazis, neither of which went down particularly well with anyone) in the past. If I recall, Kyle felt uncomfortable bringing up a topic which panelists, or himself, might not know enough about to comment on, but then, of course, I’m sure they’d probably have plenty to talk about with this. Another part of me wants to say that it could still come up, and that they’ve just been waiting until the picture was clear to give some input, but I’m not sure. 

This is what I don't like. They are essentially scared to talk about such things and are bending to the will of a select group of people. Kyle often tries not to get into these types of discussions as he wants to keep thing light and fun but, at the same time, I think certain things do need discussing and I think it's a bad way of doing things if you are picking and choosing the stories you want to discuss in an attempt to not have any negative discussions. 

2 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

This is what I don't like. They are essentially scared to talk about such things and are bending to the will of a select group of people. Kyle often tries not to get into these types of discussions as he wants to keep thing light and fun but, at the same time, I think certain things do need discussing and I think it's a bad way of doing things if you are picking and choosing the stories you want to discuss in an attempt to not have any negative discussions. 

To go into that a bit further: they got a lot of flak for not being as informed as they could be about it, because, even though it was clear that Kyle had done some research, the panelists did not know as much about the topic at hand as he did. It’s made a little more convoluted by the fact that such stories are often ongoing, and there is a three day gap between the recording of the podcast and it going live to what I assume would be the majority of their audience — those whom are not patrons. Of course they got a lot of flak for talking about it from some other crowds, but it would have seemed at the time that that was the main cause of the backlash.

I agree with you, though, that this would be the time to buck that trend: the majority of the Allies review games, and they’ve all worked in a high profile working environment in the gaming industry. However, I would argue that Kyle does hold discussions rooted in negativity, like when they talked about Quantic Dream, for example, but avoids talking about the more controversial topics after prior backlash. 

Maybe they decide to jump in and talk about it, or maybe they don’t. If you’re already listening to a decent range of gaming podcasts, though, I don’t think that the Allies in particular would have a unique perspective to bring to the table here which would change the conversation, just because it has been discussed by virtually everyone else at this point.

I think, at best, they’ll reiterate what everyone else has said: Filip is in the wrong, got thoroughly lambasted - and rightly so - and plagiarism is wrong. I’d love for them to talk more about the way that they review games, but I feel that they’ve done it plenty of times in the past, especially on Frame Trap, and could understand Kyle’s reservations about bringing such a large topic to the table of a 1 - 2.5 hour long podcast, when there typically is so much else to get through. I just think that even within Easy Allies, they have another podcast which is more suited to the discussion of this topic. 

17 minutes ago, Julius Caesar said:

To go into that a bit further: they got a lot of flak for not being as informed as they could be about it, because, even though it was clear that Kyle had done some research, the panelists did not know as much about the topic at hand as he did. It’s made a little more convoluted by the fact that such stories are often ongoing, and there is a three day gap between the recording of the podcast and it going live to what I assume would be the majority of their audience — those whom are not patrons. Of course they got a lot of flak for talking about it from some other crowds, but it would have seemed at the time that that was the main cause of the backlash.

I agree with you, though, that this would be the time to buck that trend: the majority of the Allies review games, and they’ve all worked in a high profile working environment in the gaming industry. However, I would argue that Kyle does hold discussions rooted in negativity, like when they talked about Quantic Dream, for example, but avoids talking about the more controversial topics after prior backlash. 

Maybe they decide to jump in and talk about it, or maybe they don’t. If you’re already listening to a decent range of gaming podcasts, though, I don’t think that the Allies in particular would have a unique perspective to bring to the table here which would change the conversation, just because it has been discussed by virtually everyone else at this point.

To be fair, if you are being paid by people to host a podcast then I think it's in their best interest to be up to scratch on what they discuss. It's not like they are some random YouTubers just dishing out bits and bobs of information. I can see why people aren't happy with the lack of information they are bringing to the table. If you have people paying you to do a job then you should make sure you are informed enough to discuss it, right? At the moment it just kinda looks like they don't want to touch the subject matter because there event in question happened over a week ago now and that's plenty of time to get their thoughts together on it.

Because a lot of them have worked in the industry before is exactly why I would like their take on things. I mean, you could argue why listen to a number of any weekly podcasts if they are all discussing the same thing? The reason is because people are individuals and often have their own unique perspective of events. Ironic writing that when we are talking about the plagiarism fiasco. :p 

EDIT: There's also an argument to be made that some people may only use EZA (highly unlikely in this day and age) as their only news outlet and as such wouldn't be aware of this event that has rippled through the industry due to their reluctance to discuss it.

Edited by Hero-of-Time
  • Thanks 1

Is anyone a fan of Retronauts? I'm digging through their vast library of episodes and their content is absolutely superb. I've just finished listening to the Wind Waker episode and their knowledge on not only the game but also the context of the era it released in is so impressive.

1 hour ago, Goron_3 said:

Is anyone a fan of Retronauts? I'm digging through their vast library of episodes and their content is absolutely superb. I've just finished listening to the Wind Waker episode and their knowledge on not only the game but also the context of the era it released in is so impressive.

Yeah, i've listened to a few episodes and they are great. I tend to just listen to the ones that focus on games that I have played and have fond memories of.

• Like 1

I was listening to the latest episode of Sacred Symbols this morning and a question was brought up about working in the industry as a journalist. Colin was quite forward with his reply in that he said it is a nightmare to work as a more traditional journalist due to the likes of YouTube killing off the old style way of making content. It's something that we as a forum discussed recently in another topic but it was interesting to hear that the Sacred Symbols crew also shares a lot of our views.

Funnily enough, a topic of Era just popped up today about working in the industry as a journalist and how it was a bit of a nightmare. Someone replied to the topic works as part as PlayStation EU.

As a content producer on the other side of the fence, I can also relate. I think for me, one of the things that generally grates on me is the modern digital landscape. Competition for clicks, the data-driven 'how did this perform, how can we improve' nature of modern journalism and the ability of the business to track in infinitesimal detail just how well any piece performs - from click-through to dwell-time to heat-maps - means that you are constantly at the mercy of internet search engine algorithms and the terminally short attention spans of the digital readers.

In this kind of environment, you end-up writing more with a focus on what will reach the widest audience rather than what actually matters to you as producer. In my job, marketing is the key focus, so I'm not really in a position to belly-ache, but I know that journalists are fighting the same battle, and they probably didn't get into it just to be person with the most clicks - they probably got into because they cared about the medium and had something they wanted to say.

You just have to look at click-bait titles of YouTube videos or the thumbnail pictures to know this is true and a lot of people are worried more about getting more views than actually producing good content that is entertaining or informative. 

• Like 3

On 12/09/2018 at 3:56 PM, Hero-of-Time said:

I was listening to the latest episode of Sacred Symbols this morning and a question was brought up about working in the industry as a journalist. Colin was quite forward with his reply in that he said it is a nightmare to work as a more traditional journalist due to the likes of YouTube killing off the old style way of making content. It's something that we as a forum discussed recently in another topic but it was interesting to hear that the Sacred Symbols crew also shares a lot of our views.

Funnily enough, a topic of Era just popped up today about working in the industry as a journalist and how it was a bit of a nightmare. Someone replied to the topic works as part as PlayStation EU.

You just have to look at click-bait titles of YouTube videos or the thumbnail pictures to know this is true and a lot of people are worried more about getting more views than actually producing good content that is entertaining or informative. 

I'm inclined to agree with everything you've written here, but I actually consume basically all my gaming content on YouTube. It's geniunely sad that written-form game journalism is all but dead, but there is still a load of fantastic content out there. 

If you can avoid the shitty clickbait stuff, I think we're almost in a golden age of gaming content. I don't have a TV connection these days, and almost everything I run through my TV is gaming stuff either with the Switch or gaming discussion on YouTube. I know you already know about Easy Allies and Jim Sterling, but I feel their content is just as good as anything that was in written form. Colin's videos get a watch every week, as does Spawn Wave, which is a daily YouTube gaming news channel, everything you need to know in 15 mins or less. He also has a weekly podcast with interesting guests, a few let's plays of newer releases and a LOT of cool tech breakdowns and stuff. Worth a sub. 

I'm sure most people are familiar with Digital Foundry, which consistently produce incredible content. DF retro is one of the best series on YouTube, take a look if you haven't already. The Gaming Historian is also great in a similar vein. His recent hour-long documentary into the origins of Tetris is one of the best YouTube videos I've ever seen. An immense amount of work was clearly put into it and it's every bit as good as any long form article could have been. 

CleanPrinceGaming is another YouTuber who does weekly "essays" about current topics, DidYouKnowGaming is great for trivia and interesting, little known facts about popular games, Metal Jesus Rocks and My Life In Gaming focus on retro stuff and collecting. Arlo? Arlo!

Basically, the content is there and plentiful, it's all a matter of carefully curating stuff to your specific tastes, and while it can take a while to find everything you want, once you're settled on your favourites, you'll wonder how you managed before. It is a shame that the written word has taken a back seat, but I guess it's just a changing of the times. It seems people would rather consume content while they're cooking a spagetti bolognese or driving to work, rather than find 30 mins to flick through a magazine or sit at the computer.

Edited by Nicktendo
  • Thanks 3