NEurope
Goron_3

Gaming Podcasts: A Thread about Listening to Others

3 minutes ago, nekunando said:

Watched the first half last night and the second half this morning. Loved Huber getting a little reckless with the conditions of one of the bets :grin:

I love Huber. His excitement is infectious.

The opening bet was absolutely hilarious as neither of them really had a clue what time it started. :D 

• Haha 1

I watched it first thing this morning and laughed my back off at his line when the Stormtroopers passed by. :D 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, S.C.G said:

PSX + Huber = Hype! :D

Gotta watch that tomorrow! I've been chipping away at the latest Hall of Greats video but haven't seen what wins yet..

Nintendo have launched an official Nintendo Power Podcast charting to devs. First up - Zelda. 

• Thanks 1

I doubt I'll bother with it if it's an official thing. I'd rather not listen to a podcast that is biased. I get enough of that kinda thing from NVC.

• Like 1

Finally tuned into IGN's Podcast Unlocked for the first time yesterday, dove straight into the latest episode...

Alannah Pearce. Constantly butting in on questions other people have been asked, gets annoyed if anyone does the same to her and, perhaps worst of all, clearly likes the sound of her own voice to much and thinks her opinion is THE opinion. The others had a nice, easy going vibe with each other and the listeners, but the longer it went on, the more annoyed I got with her.

2 hours ago, Kaepora_Gaebora said:

Finally tuned into IGN's Podcast Unlocked for the first time yesterday, dove straight into the latest episode...

Alannah Pearce. Constantly butting in on questions other people have been asked, gets annoyed if anyone does the same to her and, perhaps worst of all, clearly likes the sound of her own voice to much and thinks her opinion is THE opinion. The others had a nice, easy going vibe with each other and the listeners, but the longer it went on, the more annoyed I got with her.

When she first started IGN she wasn't that bad. She was quite humble and quiet. Once she found her feet and got more responsibility within the company you could see the change happening. She became very outspoken, arrogant and cocky. I'm not a fan of her anymore.

Still, I'd rather listen to her over the couple of women that appear on the Nintendo Voice Chat podcast from time to time. They always come on the show when Pokemon and Animal Crossing get discussed but that's pretty much the breadth of their gaming knowledge. I find them both very irritating.

35 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

When she first started IGN she wasn't that bad. She was quite humble and quiet. Once she found her feet and got more responsibility within the company you could see the change happening. She became very outspoken, arrogant and cocky. I'm not a fan of her anymore.

Still, I'd rather listen to her over the couple of women that appear on the Nintendo Voice Chat podcast from time to time. They always come on the show when Pokemon and Animal Crossing get discussed but that's pretty much the breadth of their gaming knowledge. I find them both very irritating.

Yeah I googled her after listening to it; she's 22, does a lot of cosplaying and is obviously a big hit in the gaming community; the problem is she's knows it and she's young it, too, so she's getting carried away to the detriment of her own ability and image.

12 minutes ago, Kaepora_Gaebora said:

Yeah I googled her after listening to it; she's 22, does a lot of cosplaying 

I think I'll do some Googling too.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

I was listening to Frame Trap over the weekend and was very surprised to find out that Ben had never played the Onimusha games. Those games seem to be right up his alley and it was strange finding out that he has never touched any of them. It was great hearing Huber, Brad and him talking about the original game. It really got me in the mood to play through 1-3 again. I may have to dust off the old PS2 and fire them up some time soon.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I was listening to Frame Trap over the weekend and was very surprised to find out that Ben had never played the Onimusha games. Those games seem to be right up his alley and it was strange finding out that he has never touched any of them. It was great hearing Huber, Brad and him talking about the original game. It really got me in the mood to play through 1-3 again. I may have to dust off the old PS2 and fire them up some time soon.

I don't think I've finished that episode yet but I definitely got to that part :smile:

Initially, when Onimusha: Warlords was mentioned I was thinking it must have been some sort of spin-off game that I hadn't played before realising the subtitle was part of the original game.. which is great :grin: I never got on with Samurai's Destiny quite so well and I'm yet to try Onimusha 3, despite it now being in my collection for years :red:

Easy Allies reviews are changing from the 10-increment 5-star system (i.e. 0 to 5 stars with half star increments) to a 20-increment 10 point scale (i.e. 0 to 10 in 0.5 increments). 

Sort of glad they’re making this change, as it allows them to apply a much greater variety of scores to the massive volume of games coming our way.

I started listening to this weeks Frame Trap and was sad to hear about Kyle's condition. Depression, stress and anxiety are ugly conditions to suffer from and it's hard to understand what people actually go through until you've experienced it yourself. Good on him for taking the steps needed for recovery and being very open about it on the podcast.

Edited by Hero-of-Time
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I started listening to this weeks Frame Trap and was sad to hear about Kyle's condition. Depression, stress and anxiety are ugly conditions to suffer from and it's hard to understand what people actually go through until you've experienced it yourself. Good on him for taking the steps needed for recovery and being very open about it on the podcast.

I haven't got around to Frame Trap this week (partly because my FM Transmitter in the car has been unreliable of late :hmm: ) but I really must listen to that!

For the most part, I have everything I could ever conceivably want and yet I've been struggling with anxiety for the last couple of years (sometimes it's a lot worse than at other times) but my mood has definitely been affected a lot. 

1 hour ago, nekunando said:

For the most part, I have everything I could ever conceivably want and yet I've been struggling with anxiety for the last couple of years (sometimes it's a lot worse than at other times) but my mood has definitely been affected a lot. 

I'm in the same boat. Despite having a loving family around me, a good job and some amazing friends, I have suffered with anxiety and depression for a few years now. I was actually at the hospital last Monday to get a camera shoved up my nose and then down my throat (fun times) because of the stress and anxiety that I have. I was told i've got Globus Hystericus, which is a constant feeling of a lump in your throat. Crazy to think that your mind can mess up your body so much. ::shrug: 

It's stuff like this why I enjoy gaming so much. I find it a great way to switch off and not worry about anything. 

• Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I'm in the same boat. Despite having a loving family around me, a good job and some amazing friends, I have suffered with anxiety and depression for a few years now. I was actually at the hospital last Monday to get a camera shoved up my nose and then down my throat (fun times) because of the stress and anxiety that I have. I was told i've got Globus Hystericus, which is a constant feeling of a lump in your throat. Crazy to think that your mind can mess up your body so much. ::shrug: 

It's stuff like this why I enjoy gaming so much. I find it a great way to switch off and not worry about anything. 

Sorry to hear that!

Fortunately, I've never had anything like a lump in my throat. I constantly feel it in my chest as if something bad us about to happen and it doesn't go away though sometimes it is a lot worse than others. I honestly can't remember the last time I was completely relaxed :sad:

I went to the doctor last year about it but I've been trying to deal with it without going down the route of medication or talking to someone just yet. I thought I was getting on top of it but it has been creeping up again recently! Hey.. maybe a those retro games are somehow linked to that feeling of care-free comfort as a kid!

If you ever need to talk about anything, feel free to PM any time. 

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I'm in the same boat. Despite having a loving family around me, a good job and some amazing friends, I have suffered with anxiety and depression for a few years now. I was actually at the hospital last Monday to get a camera shoved up my nose and then down my throat (fun times) because of the stress and anxiety that I have. I was told i've got Globus Hystericus, which is a constant feeling of a lump in your throat. Crazy to think that your mind can mess up your body so much::shrug: 

Oh, it truly can. :( Hopefully there will continue to be greater understanding that mental and physical health are totally interlinked, not separate.  I haven't had true depression for a very long time, but anxiety is a constant battle for me.

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, nekunando said:

Sorry to hear that!

Fortunately, I've never had anything like a lump in my throat. I constantly feel it in my chest as if something bad us about to happen and it doesn't go away though sometimes it is a lot worse than others. I honestly can't remember the last time I was completely relaxed :sad:

I went to the doctor last year about it but I've been trying to deal with it without going down the route of medication or talking to someone just yet. I thought I was getting on top of it but it has been creeping up again recently! Hey.. maybe a those retro games are somehow linked to that feeling of care-free comfort as a kid!

If you ever need to talk about anything, feel free to PM any time. 

Yeah, I always refuse medication when I can. It's always best to try and face things head on and get everything out in the open, which is why i'm glad Kyle opened up about his issue as I feel it's for the best.

Thanks for the offer and i'll say the same to you. I find it's always easier to talk to people who have had the same issues as you or are still going through them.

35 minutes ago, Grazza said:

Oh, it truly can. :( Hopefully there will continue to be greater understanding that mental and physical health are totally interlinked, not separate.  I haven't had true depression for a very long time, but anxiety is a constant battle for me.

Yeah, I was quite shocked to hear how much damage mental health can do to your physical well being. It's pretty crazy.

Add me to the members of this forum who have experienced anxiety/depression/panic attacks... at this point it might be good to do a thread rip, I don't mind either way though... the important thing is that Kyle bringing it up in the latest episode of Frame Trap has clearly brought it to the forefront of our minds, which is a good thing and good on him for sharing it with the Easy Allies community; though I do hope he'll be OK on the medication.

Like yourself @Hero-of-Time I always try to refuse medication on principle, if it works for others then that's good obviously but I've heard some horrific stories about the side-effects from certain medications for depression/anxiety (not to mention all the other stuff a lot of the large pharmaceutical companies don't seem to have a conscience over but that's another topic) so I tend to leave them well alone, opting for more natural remedies (often better in my experience)  where applicable.

I can relate to the feeling of having a lump in the throat, sometimes it can make it seem like it's harder to breathe (I have asthma as it is) and then there's the feeling in the chest that @nekunando has described, I seem to get that a lot also I've noticed chest pains possibly linked into straining shoulder/underarm muscles at some point, makes you take things a little bit easier when you notice it (happened a couple of times at work a few weeks ago) then you start to thinking if it's something more serious... which can induce mild panic, it's a bit of a vicious circle.

On top of that... I seem to constantly have sensory overload, for example where I work when you walk into the place (supermarket) it's like you can hear everything at once, coupled with agoraphobia which makes me want to get out of the large, open entrance and out of the way into one of the aisles just so that the awful feeling subsides for a moment.

Halfway through my week off the hearing has moreorless gone in my left ear (currently treating it with olive oil ear drops) I went back to work on Monday (only a three hour shift) and it was... a challenge. My hearing hasn't returned yet (I think wax has been pushed down so I'm hoping that's all it is) but I shall be patient with it.

I guess it's best to just keep going though, I always keep thinking that "there are others who have it worse than me" so I just get through the days, currently sorting out my game collection and being able to help out with reviews and site stuff plus generally around the house are the main things keeping me going at the moment.

Also I hope you're right @Grazza and that there will continue to be a greater understanding about physical and mental health being interlinked, I think there is more awareness of it now, I know a lot more people in day to day life/work and now here who have various conditions, but I think we've got a long way to go yet still.

Yes... I think maybe we should thread-rip this now or at some point as a thread about mental health, underlying causes and ways of helping to cope could be very useful indeed.

Anyway, I just wanted to say that I love this place and the people who make it such an excellent community, I'm happy to talk with anyone who's had or is having similar issues and thank you for taking the time to read this and for opening up about all this in the first place.

Edited by S.C.G
Post now has 19% less victimhood.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The symptoms you describe in regards to chest pains and feeling breathless are spot on. At the back of my throat it sometimes feels like I've gone for a run in really cold weather....if that makes sense? :) The chest pains are usually a stabbing sensation near my heart.

Yeah, I usually use natural remedies as well. Stuff like going for runs or even a walk tend to calm the mind and ease the stress. I've actually booked myself in for an hour neck, back and shoulder massage on Saturday to help relieve the stress. 

As I said the neuknando, if you ever want to vent or just discuss it in further depth then feel free to send me a PM, @S.C.G

Seeing as there seem to be a few of us dealing with such things, I propose we change the name of the site to Depressed-Europe! :D 

• Thanks 1