NEurope
Goron_3

Gaming Podcasts: A Thread about Listening to Others

Do you let your cousin on your account when venturing into the other consoles board or something? :heh:

Haha. I said I loved tomb raider. I'm sure when batman comes I'll slowly start to turn.

I listened to NWR yesterday a bit randomly(I don't tend to do it on the regular) and I found it all a rather interesting discussion. I don't see why Guilliame's views are worth more just for watching the direct - they said they had all had a crack at the demoblast thingy at one point or another so they'd all had a handson - what's more needed to be qualified to talk about it than that? There did seem to be a certain amount of hating, yes, but I didn't find it all irrational(as for James they seemed to just keep him out, as he commented a bit lol). I personally like Guilliame when I've listened, though I can't disagree with your criticisms, I think he approaches things quite level-headedly(though yes, he can be naiive and lacking in a bigger picture way of sorts, not unlike this place at times!).

I listened to this for the first time for the Splatoon discussion - I think it's fine to be sceptical - a lot of their concerns were well placed and we are all yet to see how Splatoon develops after release. The problem was they were ill-informed, and I think being irrational in thinking it lacked depth because the demo was limited in options. It's a demo, a taster. Saying that the single player is like Titanfall was totally false, and when Guillaume addressed some of their concerns with info from the direct, they dismissed it. It was a good discussion, but I do think it would have been better had they all been informed or at least, willing to listen to each other bit more rather than rattling off pre-conceived thoughts.

@Hero\-of\-Time are you going to be listening to the Giant Beastcast now that its launched? Im really looking forward to being able to listen to Vinny on a weekly podcast again and apparently Alex had some good points on games journalism this week.

http://www.giantbomb.com/podcasts/beastcast/

What's the deal with it? Is it a spinoff or something?

What's the deal with it? Is it a spinoff or something?

Both Vinny and Alex now live in New York so stuff from there has started to be called GBEast (Giant Bomb East coast office) and they have finally got around to starting their own podcast. There will be a new staff member coming at some point to replace Patrick Klepek but they are still working on that, seems like it will happen after E3.

I started listening to this weeks Giant Bomb on the way to work this morning. It's great to hear Jeff again. It's funny how attached you become with certain presenters. I know I always get a little bummed out when Brian isn't on Nintendo Voice Chat and the Beyond podcast. The same goes for Radio Free Nintendo if Jonny or James are missing.

Do you follow GB's video stuff as well @Hero\-of\-Time or is it just the podcast?

Do you follow GB's video stuff as well @Hero\-of\-Time or is it just the podcast?

I think the only thing I have watched of theirs was when they played Super Mario Bros. 3 on the rollercoaster . :D

I'm tempted to watch their E3 conference coverage, after i've watched them myself, of course. I've heard they are quite a laugh.

Do they put them up after the conferences or do you have to watch them live?

I think the only thing I have watched of theirs was when they played Super Mario Bros. 3 on the rollercoaster . :D

I'm tempted to watch their E3 conference coverage, after i've watched them myself, of course. I've heard they are quite a laugh.

Do they put them up after the conferences or do you have to watch them live?

Yeah their E3 conferences are good, I dont even bother watching the vanilla feed anymore.

They should hopefully have them up on the site within a day of the conference happening depending on how many appointments they have on the next day but you can always just watch the Twitch archives if you want to see them sooner.

This is one of my favourite bits from when they have talked over conferences. Brad losing it gets me everytime

@Happenstance what genre of games do the guys like on Giant Bomb? I don't think i've listened to an episode yet where they haven't bitched and moaned about something. :D

Strangely, I have fallen in love with their general banter. When I originally tried to listen to the show I hated that that they always went off track from gaming, but now I actually enjoy the random stuff more than their gaming talk. Probably because they do nothing but complain and at times are quite uninformed about the game or news they are talking about.

This weeks episode had me laughing my back off. The Eurovision stuff, the story about the bully trap and hosing down naked people were all gold. :)

@Happenstance what genre of games do the guys like on Giant Bomb? I don't think i've listened to an episode yet where they haven't bitched and moaned about something. :D

Strangely, I have fallen in love with their general banter. When I originally tried to listen to the show I hated that that they always went off track from gaming, but now I actually enjoy the random stuff more than their gaming talk. Probably because they do nothing but complain and at times are quite uninformed about the game or news they are talking about.

This weeks episode had me laughing my back off. The Eurovision stuff, the story about the bully trap and hosing down naked people were all gold. :)

Any episode where they talk about Destiny is going to be a moan heavy episode. They have such a weird love/hate relationship with that game, especially Jeff as he keeps declaring he wont go back to it then just gets sucked back in lol.

I think as a whole they like most types of games, apart from maybe JRPGs but Jason is the closest to being a fan of those when he makes an appearance on the bombcast. I think they do moan a lot but it'll just take one game they all love to turn that around. Like the Witcher 3 discussion this week, they did explain the flaws of that game but by the end Brad and Dan were still absolutely in love with it.

The random stuff is excellent yeah. Its probably one of those things that can be a bit off putting at the beginning as you have no context for anything and dont understand who these people are but once you are a few episodes in it all just kind of clicks. Like knowing Dan is basically a man-child who has all these weird stories.

I've probably mentioned it before but I recommend watching some of the "Best of the Bombcast" videos on Youtube. Its just a load of the best clips and you can lose an entire weekend really easily listening to it.

Here's a link to one of the playlists (think I might listen again myself actually)

Great having Shane back with the GT guys as a guest for GT Live! His new site siftd.net sounds really interesting and impressive.

Great having Shane back with the GT guys as a guest for GT Live! His new site siftd.net sounds really interesting and impressive.

I used love watching the Bonus Round when him and Marcus Beer were on the show. Good times.

Edited by Hero-of-Time

I used love watching the Bonus Round when him and Marcus Beer were one the show. Good times.
It used to kick off big time between them on GT Invisible Walls! :D

Shane said during this GT Live that he and Marcus do a show together, it's on Twitch weekly on Fridays I think, they have 11 episodes up. Might be worth checking out.

Just listening to this weeks Bombcast, I see the guys all really liked Splatoon.

Yup. Nice to hear them positive for a change! :D

8-4 Play is a fantastic podcast. Gives you an in-depth look into the Japanese gaming market.

Regarding RFN and NWR in general, I was an avid follow for many years. But over the past 12 months I've stopped following them and listening to their podcasts. I just felt that after Greg left, the podcast slowly started losing cohesion and the crew didn't gel as well, becoming a group of highly opinionated people who rarely shift their positions. Having experience in creating video game podcasts, coordinating discussion and personalities is a very difficult thing to do. The main thing that will get me to avidly listen to a podcast is a crew who operate well together and play off one another. I feel that RFN lost that fundamental aspect. I still occasionally listen to an episode here and there, but I'm not a weekly regular listener as I once was.

8-4 Play is a fantastic podcast. Gives you an in-depth look into the Japanese gaming market.

Regarding RFN and NWR in general, I was an avid follow for many years. But over the past 12 months I've stopped following them and listening to their podcasts. I just felt that after Greg left, the podcast slowly started losing cohesion and the crew didn't gel as well, becoming a group of highly opinionated people who rarely shift their positions. Having experience in creating video game podcasts, coordinating discussion and personalities is a very difficult thing to do. The main thing that will get me to avidly listen to a podcast is a crew who operate well together and play off one another. I feel that RFN lost that fundamental aspect. I still occasionally listen to an episode here and there, but I'm not a weekly regular listener as I once was.

I really couldn't disagree more with your stance on RFN. I think they gel very well, with each of them playing off each other at the most opportune times.

I find 8-4 to be a very hard listen these days and this is because of the arrival of Sarah. She does that super annoying American thing where she talks with an upward inflection. It's so cringe worthy that I've found myself fast forwarding any section she is on.

Realised last night as I ducked out of Splatoon that the RFN opening is apparently the theme to washing up now as I started dododooing it shortly after - tends to be what I'll put on in the kitchen when washing up/brewing. Only had a little to do so had a quick listen of the pre-TP podcast(the 10min explanation of the lack of it) but it's got me a little G'd for the real deal, probs won't manage it in a whole sitting but I got some bussing/walking to do tomorrow so gonna get stuck into it then.

8-4 E3 hype is the best! I love there traditional hype train song that randomly plays throughout the episode. While I'm still not excited about this years offerings, their podcast did make me feel better about the whole thing.

Mark mentioned how S-E have some big surprises in store. I wonder if the team has been working on localising DQVII?

Hillian.

Hillian.

WTF. Otherwise slowly making it through the TP RFN - had to make a trip for work yesterday that gave me a good 40 minutes extra time and I'll probs listen to a bit more today whilst working. Enjoying it so far, really getting me tempted to go back to TP at some point too.

Skimmed the thread - jsut wanted to throw this out there for the PC gamers out there - http://crateandcrowbar.com/

Some guys that used to do the PC Gamer podcast (I mainly got into it through Tom Francis who made gunpoint) being on it.

Jonny is leaving the RFN crew. I'm absolutely gutted. Greg will be making a return but it's a poor substitute in my eyes. My favourite podcast has just lost someone very special. :(

Jonny is leaving the RFN crew. I'm absolutely gutted. Greg will be making a return but it's a poor substitute in my eyes. My favourite podcast has just lost someone very special. :(

Wait...WHAT?! Nooooo :(