NEurope
Goron_3

Gaming Podcasts: A Thread about Listening to Others

Ah, podcasts. These things can be awesome if done right.

Does anyone follow a particular podcast? I mainly listen to the Radio Free Nintendo podcast over at Nintendo World Report. It comes out every Monday and man, these guys are fantastic. They are Nintendo fans through and through but they openly talk about their frustrations with Nintendo in a very open and honest way. The podcast is also hilarious...Honestly, these guys make me laugh so much it's unreal. Highly recommended to all.

So, what do you guys listen to? :): peace:

Woohoo! Finally we have a thread to discuss the podcast, @Goron_3!

Like Goron I listen to RFN on a weekly basis. The guys have great chemistry and despite being a Nintendo podcast they don't kiss butts and instead tell it how it is. I highly recommend giving it a listen and get ready to either love or hate James. There is no middle ground with him. :D

I also listen to IGNs Nintendo Voice Chat. I only started listening to these guys this year and it's been great so far. Again, I like these guys because they don't sugar coat things and say what needs to be said.

I used to listen to 8-4. I got into it last year, maybe the year before, but I kinda lost a lot of love for them this year. There were too many things that they started discussing that I didn't care for and they stuck on topics far too long. There was a period where all they talked about was Dark Souls every month for about 20 minutes. I wonder if they ever recorded the Dark Souls podcast special?

I tried listening to IGNs Beyond podcast ( Playstation podcast ) but didn't really care for the guys on it. If anyone knows of a good Playstation podcast then get it posted so I can start listening!

A big reason why I listen to IGN and RFN podcasts is because they are older gamers who are still passionate about the industry, very much like myself. I also share a lot concerns and complaints about Nintendo with the crew on these shows and it's nice to hear their point of views on these issues.

I don't listen to any, truth be told. But a thread like this is a delicious way to introduce me to some decent podcasts as I wouldn't mind getting into them!

I'll give the one you've mentioned a try Goron! : peace:

SuperBestFriendCast

It's from the guys who do the 2 Best Friends YouTube series. Rad as fuck, although the Podcast is better if you've been watching the videos for a while.

- Retronauts (revived via Kickstarter!)

- Active Time Babble (discontinued!)

- Roleplayers Realm (discontinued!)

- (The USGamer Podcast when they start it...)

8-4 do one which is meant to be good but I can't personally vouch for it.

GoNintendo Radio! Good tunes if you like a jaunt down memory lane.

I listened to Casamassina and Bozon now and again when they did the IGN pod but moved on from there when they did. Didn't think I was a fan of theirs but maybe I was! I tried the new NVC once (or twice) but didn't like the new crew. Maybe they've changed since then - the personnel or their attitudes - but they came across as whiney, full of themselves grown up kids. ::shrug:

There are two I tend to watch: GT Time from Gametrailers and SideScrollers from Screwattack.

I like the group they have on GT Time as it does feature my favourite members of the GT crew... although I guess they have a lot less to call on now. Before watching these, I was fairly indifferent to Kyle Bosman and found that something seemed a little off in his The Final Bosman show. After watching these, it's even more apparent. He seems so much more relaxed in this and interacts well with the rest but now I find I can watch his own show too. And they all bring something different to the table which is good. It's now become pat of my Saturday routine: get up, go the gym, get back and eat some freshly cooked chicken and watch GT Time.

Sidescrollers is a little different. They start by talking about recent game news, then go into a particular gaming topic, before reading some weird stories (not gaming related) followed by some viewer questions. I got into this at uni a couple of years back when I was tied to a computer for 12hrs+ a day and needed something to distract me. These guys have always been big on original video content and their extensive archives gave me plenty to go at. It's currently on a break but will be starting again soon.

I listen to Rebel FM and Idle Thumbs as far as current videogaming podcasts go. Used to listen to a festering bungload of Podcasts four or five years ago.

The one that got me into listening to them as a medium was GFW Radio, which is still pretty much the holy grail of podcasting. I'm asserting authority on that ish right now, no podcast is ever going to come close to the insight those guys had into games on a conceptual level and their bonkers ability to make ad hoc discussions completely cogent and absolutely hilarious to listen to.

I don't normally podcast but I'm considering it after reading this thread and seeing some of the other posts knocking about where people link to discussions between folks, I'm currently listening to Goron's suggestion of RFN as I thought I'd chuck something on whilst I did the washing up.

It leads me off to a slightly more tech general question - this seems a long podcast; does anyone know something decent for android or so that could keep track of what I've listened to(if the files were on the device) so that I can exit/resume from the same point at a later time? I'll be listening from my phone essentially, but in different places/locations so it'd be nice to be able to sort of stop and start for when I'm in the car, cooking, washing etc.

So, did anyone else listen to the latest RFN podcast? I thought a couple of the reader questions gave some good discussions.

The first question was in regards to enjoying games that most others don't like. This was very relevant to me after the incident that happened to me on Miiverse last week. Funnily enough the guy writing in was on about Other M.

You shouldn't have to justify why you enjoy playing a game that others don't like. You like what you like. Jonny was getting really angry during this section, purely because he hates that people on the internet somehow have the right to tell you you are wrong about liking a game. Big respect to Jonny. It's not often he loses his cool.

The second question was in regards to the control methods on the Wii U. They discussed the stupid amount of options of control methods the Wii U has and how it's annoying that some games only use one thing, while others use them all.

It was interesting as this very topic came up on our boards recently. The other 2 companies have slowly evolved their controllers into what they are now. These are their standard. Nintendo no longer hava a standard. From the NES to the Cube you could see the natural progression but now you have the Wiimote, Nunchuck, Classic Controller, Classic Controller Pro ( my fav out of Nintendo's recent offerings ), Pro Controller, Gamepad etc. As I said, some games support them, others don't. Some games like Wii Fit U actually require 2 wiimotes. It's all a bit nuts.

They discussed the stupid amount of options of control methods the Wii U has and how it's annoying that some games only use one thing, while others use them all.

It was interesting as this very topic came up on our boards recently. The other 2 companies have slowly evolved their controllers into what they are now. These are their standard. Nintendo no longer hava a standard. From the NES to the Cube you could see the natural progression but now you have the Wiimote, Nunchuck, Classic Controller, Classic Controller Pro ( my fav out of Nintendo's recent offerings ), Pro Controller, Gamepad etc. As I said, some games support them, others don't. Some games like Wii Fit U actually require 2 wiimotes. It's all a bit nuts.

Yeh.. I've been complaing about this for a while now, yet I find it extremely difficult to decide what I would like to be Nintendo's 'standard' :hmm:

The Wii Remote & Nunchuk have been fantastic and I would have been delighted to see them focus on that again this generation with Wii U as I've never been at all convinced by the Wii U Gamepad.

I played Wii Sports Club Baseball briefly the other day during the free trial and, like with several other games I've played in Wii U, I was frustrated with how intrusive the Gamepad was to the whole experience. Throwing the ball felt less fun that simply swinging your arm in the original game and the best use of the Gamepad in that game, catching the ball, is so easy that it almost doesn't seem worth it. It could also easily have been done by switching the view on the TV and pointing the Wii Remote at the ball anyway. I just feel like it's another example of the Wii U Gamepad getting in the way and I find it inconvenient being forced to used it on things where it seems unnecessary.

For example, I downloaded Wii Party U from the Mario Kart 8 promotion as I had everything else I wanted from the selction of games so felt like it could provide a bit of a laugh.. which it does, occasionally :heh: The amount of switching between the Wii Remotes and Gamepad is ridiculous though during some of the modes :nono: Any time you have to take the wrist strap off and grab the Gamepad, there's an audible sigh :sad: When you're having to do that every turn with 4 players just to roll the dice, it's ludicrous :blank:

The whole map situation in Mario Kart 8 is yet another grievance with the Wii U Gamepad, but I wouldn't want to focus this post entirely on those issues!

I think my preferred solution to all the controller confusion would perhaps be an evolved Wii Remote (with Motion Plus, obviously :heh:) with A, B, X and Y probably replacing the large A button in order to give the controller enough buttons for traditional and classic games as well as the benefits of motion control and pointer fuctionality for other games. Somehow work a D-Pad onto an improved Nunchuk and maybe a proper analogue trigger onto both it and the enhanced Wii Remote for all you racing and shooting enthusiasts and you've almost got everything you could want : peace:

I can understand why Other M gets some hate and luckily I've never had too much of a hard time justifying my reasons for loving it as there have been a few people on here that love it too and also that we're quite a forgiving bunch here. But, I can just imagine that there are pockets of the internet...the interverse that can't let that one go. It's a shame really. Reminds me of your Miiverse discussion, @Hero\-of\-Time.

That podcast actually sounds really interesting. I followed NintendoWorldReport before their name change and they were...quite average, tbh. You could find half a dozen sites like theirs. Like us, for example. But, somehow, they've kicked it up a gear and are probably one of the best Nintendo websites out there. We should take lessons from them.

Dunno about their forum, though. Signed up years ago, got bored and never went back. Pretty sure ours is one of the best.

I can understand why Other M gets some hate and luckily I've never had too much of a hard time justifying my reasons for loving it as there have been a few people on here that love it too and also that we're quite a forgiving bunch here. But, I can just imagine that there are pockets of the internet...the interverse that can't let that one go. It's a shame really. Reminds me of your Miiverse discussion, @Hero\-of\-Time.

That podcast actually sounds really interesting. I followed NintendoWorldReport before their name change and they were...quite average, tbh. You could find half a dozen sites like theirs. Like us, for example. But, somehow, they've kicked it up a gear and are probably one of the best Nintendo websites out there. We should take lessons from them.

Dunno about their forum, though. Signed up years ago, got bored and never went back. Pretty sure ours is one of the best.

To be honest I don't really care for their site. I find it far too cluttered. Their podcast is fantastic though. They seem to be just like a lot of people on here, older gamers who still like Nintendo but aren't afraid of calling them out on stuff. My kinda people.

Listen to the podcast. It's absolutely fantastic.

So, did anyone else listen to the latest RFN podcast? I thought a couple of the reader questions gave some good discussions.

The first question was in regards to enjoying games that most others don't like. This was very relevant to me after the incident that happened to me on Miiverse last week. Funnily enough the guy writing in was on about Other M.

You shouldn't have to justify why you enjoy playing a game that others don't like. You like what you like. Jonny was getting really angry during this section, purely because he hates that people on the internet somehow have the right to tell you you are wrong about liking a game. Big respect to Jonny. It's not often he loses his cool.

The second question was in regards to the control methods on the Wii U. They discussed the stupid amount of options of control methods the Wii U has and how it's annoying that some games only use one thing, while others use them all.

I loved the email section although I wanted to punch James right through the bloody screen when he started talking about Melee and the GC controller. People don't like the GC controller because 'they want Melee'; they like it for Smash because it is a better controller for Melee and Brawl for most people and given that the Wii had GC ports, it saved money on buying a classic controller. It's also wired.

Jesus. That fucking guy. He's funny as hell but seriously his hate for Smash makes me want to deck him. That said, Jonathan did an amazing job on pointing the discussion in the right direction; Nintendo DO have too many controllers and as a result it's destroyed the consoles identity.

I loved the email section although I wanted to punch James right through the bloody screen when he started talking about Melee and the GC controller. People don't like the GC controller because 'they want Melee'; they like it for Smash because it is a better controller for Melee and Brawl for most people and given that the Wii had GC ports, it saved money on buying a classic controller. It's also wired.

Jesus. That fucking guy. He's funny as hell but seriously his hate for Smash makes me want to deck him. That said, Jonathan did an amazing job on pointing the discussion in the right direction; Nintendo DO have too many controllers and as a result it's destroyed the consoles identity.

Haha. Jonny told him to shut up, which I found hilarious. :D James really has a hatred for the competitive Smash community, doesn't he?

Haha. Jonny told him to shut up, which I found hilarious. :D James really has a hatred for the competitive Smash community, doesn't he?

I just don't understand it. The thing is, what he says is factually incorrect..I don't understand why he says the stuff he says. Melee fans did not like Brawl because it wasn't Melee, it's because it was so unbalanced and too slow as it pandered towards the Wii audience.

It's the condescending attitude towards people like me that really upsets me when he goes off on one :(

I don't normally podcast but I'm considering it after reading this thread and seeing some of the other posts knocking about where people link to discussions between folks, I'm currently listening to Goron's suggestion of RFN as I thought I'd chuck something on whilst I did the washing up.

It leads me off to a slightly more tech general question - this seems a long podcast; does anyone know something decent for android or so that could keep track of what I've listened to(if the files were on the device) so that I can exit/resume from the same point at a later time? I'll be listening from my phone essentially, but in different places/locations so it'd be nice to be able to sort of stop and start for when I'm in the car, cooking, washing etc.

I use doubletwist which is really good for podcasts in the way you're talking about but it's a paid app.

It's the GiantBombCast or nothing for me. Pretty much the only podcast I refuse to miss.

I know its mega popular but I'm not a fan of Giantbomb's 'in your face' way of doing things. Has Dan Ryckert been there long enough to have been on a Bombcast yet? You gotta let me know how he fits in.

I know its mega popular but I'm not a fan of Giantbomb's 'in your face' way of doing things. Has Dan Ryckert been there long enough to have been on a Bombcast yet? You gotta let me know how he fits in.

I actually tried listening to these guys today. I had to wade through about 10-15 mins of random banter about alcohol before anything game related came up. It was funny but it's not what I want to hear when tuning into a gaming podcast.

I listened to the new NVC episode this afternoon. It wasn't that great to be honest, with no real topic of interest being brought up. I've still got 10 mins to listen to but it's certainly one of the weaker episodes in a while.

I pretty much only listen/watch IGN's Game Scoop and Nintendo Voice Chat. I slightly prefer the former because it's a bit more fun, as long as they get in some Nintendo coverage.

Dan's already fitting in fine. I get what you guys mean but for me that's the appeal. They're the loose, niche, opinionated games coverage site while Gamespot (both are currently CBSi properties and operate on the same floor of the same building) does the more straight forward, more comprehensive coverage. Pick the one you like and go at it. Or both, even.

I can't even fathom listening to a podcast that was just straight gaming talk for any length of time because I know it would devolve from a discussion about the actual experience of playing the games into really tedious drivel about sales and console war bullshit that most gamers tend to find irresistible. And also when you're doing a two to three hour podcast every week, it's going to be near impossible to keep it about games unless producing and outlining the topics and getting people to interview was the sole remit of your job. I used to quite like Giant Bomb until Ryan Davisgate. Can't imagine listening to any of the immensely boring fucks on the IGN podcasts.

I can't even fathom listening to a podcast that was just straight gaming talk for any length of time because I know it would devolve from a discussion about the actual experience of playing the games into really tedious drivel about sales and console war bullshit that most gamers tend to find irresistible. And also when you're doing a two to three hour podcast every week, it's going to be near impossible to keep it about games unless producing and outlining the topics and getting people to interview was the sole remit of your job. I used to quite like Giant Bomb until Ryan Davisgate. Can't imagine listening to any of the immensely boring fucks on the IGN podcasts.

Jeez I'd hardly call the sad passing away of someone as a "gate"...

Jeez I'd hardly call the sad passing away of someone as a "gate"...

Right. But he died, and then the Bombcast got boring. That's pretty much the extent of how I feel about it so it would be disingenuous of me to write about it in woebegone terms.

Right. But he died, and then the Bombcast got boring. That's pretty much the extent of how I feel about it so it would be disingenuous of me to write about it in woebegone terms.

Hmmmm Ok...I personally still think a nicer way to put it would have been to mention what you mean...taken on it's own that sentence does the situation a disservice. It's disingenuous to just make such a statement to my mind. It clearly took a huge toll on all of them, personally still enjoyed the Bombcast and now they have new staff it's certainly different but still a fun listen.

ANYWAY, don't wanna derail the thread too much, other shows I listen to:

Player One Podcast

DLC

The Indoor Kids

Retronauts

Game Burst

Geekbox

John+Garnett F!rst for Gamers

The Besties

Podcast Unlocked

Console Ninjas

Edited by flameboy