Quality of Life Platform (QOL)

Are you looking forward to QOL?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Are you looking forward to QOL?

• Interested
    • Uninterested
    • Indifferent
    • You're gauging this far too early

Of course it is all speculation, but that's all we have (aside from the snippets released from Nintendo so far).

My suggestion didn't involve guessing - on my part yes, but from the device, if it monitors your environment as well as your quality of sleep, it should be able to work out what disturbs your sleep. It depends on the quality of the tied in software and database, but if done well it won't need to guess.

From what Nintendo have released, this device won't be working in isolation. That diagram indicated that QOL sensors would work with smart devices, cloud servers/databases as well as gaming devices.

the next iteration of Wii Fit could focus on sleep (already there is a small mention about sleep.. ok, tiny and only the once that I can see!) in a similar way to Wii Fit U's focus on walking.

#a little graph showing how well you've slept, maybe how far you've walked, etc etc. things you could share with friends or w/e.

all pure speculation obv. but wasn't there talk of an almost identical sensor being made already by the partner company? so I presume that the qol cloud/database access, smart device integration potentially, and gaming device involvement are what Nintendo are adding to the solution.

I thought the point of this whole thing was that it is separate from their gaming division? As such, would there not be any interaction with Wii Fit U or future such games.

But aren't they said they're tying it to future consoles and apps and stuff. It was my presumption they'd gamify it. So have a game type app they could play or get the advice and monitor and such, which is more appealing then just realising they don't sleep much.

Does anyone know how it actually works?

Not even Nintendo... :p

But seriously it's been a while and I can't recall as I was never interested I'm the first place. I thought it was separate though so as not to interfere with their gaming side.

Can a new poll be added to the top of the first page or the old one reopened? Just wondering.

I can't see how they can try and gamify sleep improvement, so what is Nintendo bringing to this (other than brand name)?

The Vita actually has an alarm clock video game. You set a time and the first one to press the on-screen icon wins.

I don't really get the point of it, though.

Can a new poll be added to the top of the first page or the old one reopened? Just wondering.

A second poll can't be added, but I think the IP can re-open a poll. Forget really as it so rarely gets requested. But really, we should wait for more information about exactly what this will contain before we start polling again in my opinion.

The Vita actually has an alarm clock video game. You set a time and the first one to press the on-screen icon wins.

I don't really get the point of it, though.

If you're in bed with multiple people, you all win ;)

I thought the point of this whole thing was that it is separate from their gaming division? As such, would there not be any interaction with Wii Fit U or future such games.

I think of the wii fit meter as nintendo dipping their toes into the QOL river. You COULD buy one for you and someone else, register it once on a Wii U, then just track calories/steps/monitor met graphs for the last few weeks on the meter itself. Really a Wii U and Wii fit U only need to be used once in the lifetime of the meter, then it CAN be a stand alone product. So I imagine the QOL stuff will be like that, except being good to go even without the use of a Nintendo gaming platform.

As an option you can integrate it to a Nintendo gaming platform to get extra bits, such as the walking and climbing challenges for the wii fit meter.

If you're in bed with multiple people, you all win ;)

Not if you're having a family game night.

Not if you're having a family game night.

You still could but you'd be arrested and end up on the front cover of National Enquirer.

Not even Nintendo... :p

But seriously it's been a while and I can't recall as I was never interested I'm the first place. I thought it was separate though so as not to interfere with their gaming side.

It is seperate from their gaming, but doesn't mean it can't have gamification aspects to it, or connect with etc.

Oh who knows. As long as it doesn't impact in their gaming division it can't be any harm.

Edited by dazzybee

I haven't read the whole thread, but am I the only one thinking this might be a phone of some sort?

I think so yes. Not a phone. They've said this. Read the thread :)

They've confirmed that gaming will play a part in qol. So basically high end tech solutions for lifestyle problems, data stored in the cloud for phone apps and consoles. And then they create games around this data... Like a souped up brain training.

I think so yes. Not a phone. They've said this. Read the thread :)

They've confirmed that gaming will play a part in qol. So basically high end tech solutions for lifestyle problems, data stored in the cloud for phone apps and consoles. And then they create games around this data... Like a souped up brain training.

All I heard was Brain Training on steroids.

I now want Brain Training on steroids.

If I don't get Brain Training on steroids, I'm blaming you.

Nintendo's New Business? Your Health.

nintendo-pillars.png

In a recent interview, Nintendo president Satoru Iwata outlined the company's three main pillars: game hardware, game software, and health care.

Nintendo has made exercising and video games work before, but here, Nintendo is spinning health care off into a specialized business. This shouldn't come as a complete surprise, because it's not. Last year, Nintendo announced it was working on a new health platform and introduced a sleep sensor.

"It's not necessary to be particular about game hardware," Iwata told Asahi News. It seems Iwata means that, as evident with the sleep sensor, Nintendo's health care business doesn't need to be tied to its video game consoles.

Above, you can see an image from the Asahi article, translated into English.

The move into health care is a logical evolution. Nintendo isn't alone in doing this. Apple, for example, is also getting into the health care industry. As the Asahi News explains, Nintendo has changed business models several times over the years, going from playing cards to toys to video games. During that time, the company has released an array of unexpected products, such as rice cookers and baby strollers. But it was in video games where the company really made its name—and fortune.

For its sleep sensor, Nintendo is considering making a service that analyzes the data and gives ways for exercising and eating right. "Leveraging our video game know-how, we'll make it so even those who have trouble following through can stick with this program and have fun," Iwata told Asahi.

Nintendo believes health care is a way it can reclaim customers (perhaps, those customers who bought a Wii to work out, but didn't follow-up with the Wii U). The company is also thinking of ways to get into the education field. So, Brain Age, but brainier?

Online in Japan, many internet commenters are saying this is a sign Nintendo is moving away from the game industry. I don't see it that way. If anything, this will concentrate the casual, health care gaming of the last console generation into its own specialized space, leaving the consoles as dedicated game machines. Hopefully.

Though, I'm sure Nintendo will figure out more ways to cross what it learns about health care with video games.

http://kotaku.com/nintendos-new-business-your-health-1684166147

http://www.asahi.com/articles/ASH245W3SH24PLFA00J.html

Edited by Wii

Late Nintendo president Satoru Iwata announced the company’s entry into the Quality of Life field in January 2014. A few months later, he said that a sleep device would be released within the 2015 fiscal year, but nothing ever materialized.

Tatsumi Kimishima, who took over for Iwata as Nintendo’s new president, provided another update on the device intended to monitor sleep and fatigue during a press conference this week. Interestingly, there is now noticeable doubt surrounding it, and it’s unclear if we’ll ever see it on the market.

Kimishima said:

“It hasn’t reached a level where it can be sold as a Nintendo product. If it could be released, we’d release it. If it’s not we need to consider further how to deal with it.”

Nintendo last hoped to have the device ready by this March. However, it now sounds like they’re unsure if this can be made into a product or not.

Yeah, somethings definitely gone off the rails with this thing.

Yeah, somethings definitely gone off the rails with this thing.

It's a shame they didn't apply the same reasoning to Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash :nono:

Doesn't sound particularly promising does it?

While it's tempting to call it the new Vitality Sensor, I'm still inclined to believe that it is still being developed and is just not ready to show yet; if only for the fact that significant resources are being sunk into it and that it involves an outside company (Restmed). It is meant to be the start of a whole new product category for Nintendo here, so it's not some little experimental thingy that they can afford to just brush aside here...

Plus I need my sleep sorted! Come on Nintendo! Fix me!