NEurope
Yvonne

some mafia

Rummy strikes me more as a follower in this game, just going with the flow. It's also strange how your stance on the subject changed significantly, like you realised that my argument was actually a good one (as much as you claim otherwise) and found a way of using it on someone you knew was town (Rummy).

Rummy strikes me more as a follower in this game, just going with the flow.

It's also strange how your stance on the subject changed significantly, like you realised that my argument was actually a good one (as much as you claim otherwise) and found a way of using it on someone you knew was town (Rummy).

The argument is not a good one as the proposition of the plan is sound. That's the problem I have with you - you act as if proposing this plan is something a mafioso would do, when it actual fact it favours finding Mafia within 2 days. It's just that in this instance, the RNGd targets were against the odds. Sometimes the less likely thing happens, as it can in any Mafia game.

In saying that, Mafia have been on the lynches to put them through. That's a given. Rummy is behaving like a follower (maybe a follower in a scumteam?), like you say, which strikes me as a little odd as Rummy is often very outspoken.

I'm not really convinced by the lynching of Rummy.

I'd urge us to slow down, as mentioned we still have a number of days to hammer this out.

I'm not convinced by Rummy being the one to lynch. For me I think it's gotta be Sheikah. Sheikah ReZ Peeps mafia?? Got to take a chance on this, I know it's game over if we're wrong. I was convinced that Jonnas was bad, that was a big mistake. Hopefully this one won't be.

Vote: Sheikah

lol @Cube and @Jimbob. Fools if you're town. :p

In saying that, looks like it might not have been Rummy then!

By the way this game is insane. With no actual information it's really difficult to work out who is Mafia, especially when people are behaving a little off. I suspected Paul and definitely thought Cube, but the fact Cube was like a clone of Jonnas put me off.

Not that it mattered anyway...we got unlucky with the RNG and Jimbob (I'm gonna guess he was the townie) basically put zero effort into the game (apologies if you were actually scum). Cube lynch couldn't have happened regardless.

Votes:

4 - Sheikah (Cube, Jimbob, Mr-Paul, ReZourceman)

2 - Rummy (Sheikah, The Peeps)

Not voting:

Rummy

Majority was 4.

Sheikah was lynched.

Sheikah was town.

Game over. Mafia wins.

Living 3: (3 mafia)

Mr-Paul

The Peeps

ReZourceman

Dead 7: (7 town)

Tales

Shorty

Jonnas

Sheikah

Cube (endgamed)

Rummy (endgamed)

Jimbob (endgamed)

Congratulations to mafia. Thanks everyone for playing!

Unlucky guys. You should have listened to Jonnas :)

No we shouldn't! Jonnas was on a course to kill me! Without doubt the most frustrating townie for me and caused me to suspect him massively.

The plan didn't work but such is randomness - as the stats showed we had a decent chance of landing on scum but it just didn't happen.

I know what you mean by the plan should have been abandoned because it didn't work out, but at the stage he was against it we didn't know that...

Edited by Sheikah

Yeah. Well what I mean is I do think if I were town I'd have advocated abandoning the RNG a bit earlier (as I was actually suggesting as mafia even though it was working for us!), even if suspecting you was wrong from Jonnas and Cube. To be honest RNG was a decent plan, but the problem you had were the first couple of RNG selections were townies, which meant us mafia were behind you with it, and by the time a couple of people were dead, the remaining townies were either still going along with the plan, which we were lucky not to be hit by, or thought you were evil. With low numbers it made it difficult for you to come back from that point, we didn't really have to do a lot all game and it benefitted us to stay out of things and let you argue among yourselves. On the last day as soon as there was a vote for anyone other than ourselves we had won, and we even had options with both you and Rummy with votes.

I just chose to lynch you in the end as that was the choice that Jonnas provided on the previous day for who to go for when he died :P

It's a shame, for the plan to work we really needed two things. A Mafia target suggestion (which unluckily never happened), and complete town backing (which we didn't have, but could have had). If we had both, we could have watched the scum find ways to abandon the plan as soon as their teammate was suggested, which is I guess what some people saw in Cube and Jonnas.

Ah but what if you'd picked a Mafia, and they gave a Mafia name as they died? THE DOUBLE BLUFF?!

Cool game guys.

Ah but what if you'd picked a Mafia, and they gave a Mafia name as they died? THE DOUBLE BLUFF?!

Cool game guys.

Haha, well in that case, we would have just ignored what they said. :p

Very cool game @Yvonne, interesting to see other town tactics people have used in this.

We (me....least well played of the mafia) were extraordinarily lucky.

Man this game was really interesting. Thoroughly enjoyed it, and the no-night phase thing is brilliant.

It's pretty shocking that Sheikah turned out to be town. I thought it was pretty clear that he was mafia from how he was acting. The RNG should have been the plan for a single day, not longer.

Still, 2 out of 3 certainly isn't bad.

It's pretty shocking that Sheikah turned out to be town. I thought it was pretty clear that he was mafia from how he was acting. The RNG should have been the plan for a single day, not longer.

Still, 2 out of 3 certainly isn't bad.

Damn, I did think in the end you were probably just being stubborn like Jonnas. RNG for one day would have only been a 33% chance to strike Mafia and therefore more likely to help scum. No good!

Either way, your target after RNG was me so it most likely wouldn't have made a difference. :p

RNG for one day would have only been a 33% chance to strike Mafia and therefore more likely to help scum. No good!

And the chance of the RNG getting a mafia on the final day would have been 43%, so still good odds for the mafia.

After the first RNG, it should have been based on what people have said and done. Even if that day still ends with a townie lynch, you learn so much more about people than you would from doing another RNG.

And the chance of the RNG getting a mafia on the final day would have been 43%, so still good odds for the mafia.

The percentage isn't based on a single day, it's a cumulative effect (as in the more days you RNG, the more chance you have of hitting scum). Nobody should be RNGing on the last day, but RNGing on D2 and D3 means a nearly 60% chance overall of hitting a single mafioso, ie. town favourable. But we had bad luck.

After the first RNG, it should have been based on what people have said and done. Even if that day still ends with a townie lynch, you learn so much more about people than you would from doing another RNG.

In which case you would have lynched me. :p You and Jonnas firmly believed that coming up with the plan for some reason meant I was Mafia (even after I pointed out the town favourable stats), meaning it was very hard for us to look at anyone else. I was having to fight my corner then Jonnas was having to fight his.

I think that was the thing. Not a lot was learnt all game as you could put it all down to randomness. If a mafioso had been hit, a lot more would have been learnt, but not enough was really put to suspicions or discussion. We were given seven days per day phase, and there were punishments for inactivity; I think Yvonne intended for that time to be used more than you actually did.

Unfortunately the alternate route to randomness also failed miserably. When we started trying to vote people based on suspicion I was lynched, and I wanted Rummy lynched. Maybe the break from Mafia meant we changed/forgot our style a little as both me and Cube were saying how people didn't appear town, etc.

It only failed because there was nothing to go on, because all the voting had been down to random choice, therefore there were no rational reasons to suspect anyone other than their view on the RNG method, and how active people had been. The switch to going on suspicions rather than random choice was too late.

The main factor was that we were lucky the RNG didn't hit us, but I do personally think town would have had more success if it wasn't used. Our skill as mafiosos wasn't put to the test at all, it was all down to luck.

The trouble with suspicions is that the Mafia can just provide them, and have an advantage due to having 3 players. I find it unlikely town would have rallied to suspicion lynches as easily due to the lack of information - think about normal games, where it's usually a cop result or something particularly damning that really drives a lynch. I was also getting vibes from people that didn't match up to their alignment, so I honestly believe Mafia would have won that way too.

And that last part there's no doubt - with hindsight we can say categorically that in this instance RNG did not work and any other plan would have had a better chance. Still, the odds are reasonable it could work on another occasion.

I think what really would put me off going by RNG as a townie is that it really isn't in the spirit of mafia. Yes, probabilities play a part, but ultimately it is a game of deduction, manipulation, suspicion and lies. You do make a good point that in a game like this there is less reason to trust anyone which does give mafia a better chance of leading the discussion, but I think that's why there was more days available per day phase, to allow town to get the most out of discussion.

I'd be interested to read a different example of a game like this to see how other players approached this situation.