NEurope
Dog-amoto

Football Season 2014/2015

Liverpools backup team is much weaker than I expected it to be actually... Arsenal's defence - you really need some luck until January!

Can't wait to see Man U's :) Come on @Fierce_LiNk

While Uniteds first 11 would be strong, their second 11 I think is the weakest of any of the top clubs.

Was looking at the fixtures for September and they have QPR, Leicester and West Ham. Van Gaal has had it so easy thus far. That really should be 9 from 9 points but then you've messed up so far. They'll have played all 3 promoted teams in their first 6 games. Imagine if you'd actually played someone decent?

Liverpools backup team is much weaker than I expected it to be actually... Arsenal's defence - you really need some luck until January!

Can't wait to see Man U's :) Come on @feirce_link

You've properly butchered my name, brah. :'(

The trouble is that the majority of United's signings haven't played for the club yet, so it's difficult to identify who should be part of the best team. Also, for players like Blind and Rojo, we don't really know their best positions.

I'll give it a go anyway. This is roughly who I'd play.

De Gea

Rafael - Smalling - Rojo - Shaw

Herrera - Carrick

Di Maria - Rooney - Mata

Falcao

De Gea

Rafael - Smalling - Rojo - Shaw

Herrera - Carrick - Mata

Di Maria - Falcao - Rooney

Using this eleven means that Shaw plays in his position and Rojo plays at centre-back. You could just as easily put Rojo at left-back and move somebody like Jones there, or Evans.

Herrera has to play and Carrick only gets picked for the first eleven based on his previous experience. Blind could be played there.

Di Maria and Rooney would form an attacking three with Falcao, with Mata helping out from advanced midfield.

Lindegaard

Jones - Blackett - Evans - Young

Blind - Fletcher

Januzaj - Fellaini - Lingard

Van Persie

Lindegaard

Jones - Blackett - Evans - Young

Blind - Fletcher

Januzaj - Fellaini - Lingard

Van Persie

The downside of putting Blind in midfield means that you can't choose him for Left Back. You COULD put him there, but then the midfield looks a bit lightweight. Fellaini can play there, but he looks better in a more advanced position. So, I've sacrificed the left back slot in favour of putting Blind in defensive midfield and Fellaini in his natural position, which is where he is best. (Rojo and Shaw can both play left back, but I've put them in the first eleven) Right back is more of an issue and we'd be putting Jones or Smalling out of position by playing them there. Valencia could go there but...meh.

However, this could be the team we play with if all of Van Gaal's new players are successful.

De Gea

Rafael - Jones - Rojo - Shaw

Herrera - Blind

Mata

Di Maria - Falcao - Rooney

I would like to see an interchanging three behind the striker. Sorta like how Chelsea can play with the likes of Oscar and Hazard behind a striker. It should be more fluid in attack.

The areas where we need to strengthen: We NEED cover for right back badly. The reason why we've had to go 3-5-2 is because we have no full backs. Rafael and Shaw are out and Rojo hasn't had his permit yet. So, with no full backs, how can you play 4-4-2 or with a back four? You can't. It's something that I can't believe the media hasn't picked up on. It's also why we've had trouble breaking teams down since we're technically not as penetrative on the flanks and we have less defensive cover there, too. We've been too narrow and when the ball does get wide, the crosses are no good. Di Maria should help here. I also think Rafael's time might be up here as he spends far too much time out injured. Massive sicknote.

We need a dominant centre back and either a true defensive midfielder or somebody who is box to box. Blind might be a success as a defensive midfielder, I don't know yet. If he isn't, then I'd love to see Strootman or Vidal come here. I think Strootman is the one and that's why Van Gaal hasn't really looked at alternatives. Trouble is, he's injured and we might not be successful getting him in January since Roma won't want to let him go then. A dominant centre back is really hard to find, we'll have to wait and see how Rojo fits in there. Jones, Evans and Smalling also spend far too much time out injured.

I can't tell you how weird it is to see Welbeck in a strip other than Manchester United's. He's been given the number 23 shirt, the number Bendtner and Arshavin have both worn. If you're superstitious you would think that's a bad sign right there.

Liverpools backup team is much weaker than I expected it to be actually...

In places perhaps, definitely at goalkeeper, I've never been confident in Brad Jones, but that's one position you probably can skimp on. I don't recall Mignolet being injured or suspended last season, ideally he could probably play every game.

Depending which team I suggested you're taking as our 1st choice team you can add either Balotelli or Coutinho to the list of 2nd string players. Sakho features fairly often, as does Allen, Lucas has been a regular for years up until now, and Flannagan was regular last season. So I'd say about half those 2nd string players wouldn't look out of place starting in the first team.

Guys like Markovic, Manquillo and Can are fairly unknown quanities. Markovic is someone I'm quietly excited about. Hopefully our 2nd string will look stronger once we've seen more to judge some of them on.

In anycase I think it's a bit of a non issue, as there isn't really such a thing as a backup team, it's not as though we're going to play the 2nd string as a starting team, not often anyway, maybe in a easy looking cup game. All things being well we shouldn't have to rotate more than 2 or 3 players at a time.

I'm looking forward to Lallana being fit, we're playing ok now but when he's available it will almost feel like getting a cheeky extra signing after the window is closed.

I can't tell you how weird it is to see Welbeck in a strip other than Manchester United's. He's been given the number 23 shirt, the number Bendtner and Arshavin have both worn. If you're superstitious you would think that's a bad sign right there.

The Sol Man wore it too and he was superb for us. At the end of the day it's just a number.

The Sol Man wore it too and he was superb for us. At the end of the day it's just a number.

I can't believe you're even entertaining the idea of curses...

Anyway, he could wear any number he wants, he'll still be shit :)

In all honesty, are you happy with him?

I can't believe you're even entertaining the idea of curses...

Anyway, he could wear any number he wants, he'll still be shit :)

In all honesty, are you happy with him?

Can't be any worse than Soldado.

I think he'll suit our style of play, he'll get to play his regular position. He'll have a better quality of midfield playing him the ball and most importantly he'll be damn hungry to prove people wrong.

I don't think most Arsenal fans are upset with the signing of Wellbeck, more so the way it was done. Clearly without a plan and waiting to the last minute again.

Danny Welbeck could turn out to be Arsenal's Daniel Sturridge, someone who never really got an opportunity at his previous club but is ready to flourish when given a proper chance..

..though obviously I hope not :heh:

Danny Welbeck could turn out to be Arsenal's Daniel Sturridge, someone who never really got an opportunity at his previous club but is ready to flourish when given a proper chance..

..though obviously I hope not :heh:

But welbeck was given a chance, and he's an awful striker. He's okay using his pace on the wings but that's not what arsenal need him for. They need him to score goals, which he won't do.

Obviously time will tell, but I think arsenal will struggle for goals massively.

But welbeck was given a chance, and he's an awful striker. He's okay using his pace on the wings but that's not what arsenal need him for. They need him to score goals, which he won't do.

Obviously time will tell, but I think arsenal will struggle for goals massively.

When was he ever given a proper run in the United side, playing as a striker? Never, that's when.

People say he can't finish but last season he had the same conversion rate of chances as Sturridge, yet Wellbeck is always though of as a bad finisher and Sturridge not?

It's all perception, if Wellbeck was playing in those Liverpool games in place of Sturridge then he would've scored a lot of goals!

Didn't he score 8 in 7 when played a striker last season?

Honestly I'm not blown away by the signing, we needed top class and he isn't. However he's an Arsenal lad now so I'm gonna show him some support.

I think he'll do well when he's playing in the right position and has the full backing of the players and manager. He can be a bit clumsy on the ball but it's a great buy for Arsenal considering how late the deal was done, and how desperately they need to fill that position.

Funnily enough I think Welbeck will turn out to be pretty decent. There have been games he's been in where he's been the best player on the pitch, although yes, as a striker he's been disappointing. I hope he does well though, and playing alongside other England internationals is always a good thing for the national team.

Kinda laughing inside how suddenly everyone rates Welbeck. A bit funny that. :p

He's a good lad and is a great team player. The season before Van Persie joined (that FUCKING season where City took the title), Welbeck looked like he was ready to become a huge part of the team. The Everton game where we drew 4-4 was a strange one because the Welbeck/Rooney partnership looked really, really good. Far better than Van Persie/Rooney has ever looked. Of course, we ended up blowing the title, bought Van Persie as a result and Welbeck hasn't had a look-in since.

The one thing that worries me about him is how often is he going to play through the middle? He can do a job on the wing, but that's not really where he's going to score lots of goals. Also, if Walcott hasn't had much of a run at centre-forward, then does that not bode well for Welbeck? Or, if Welbeck gets played there and Walcott doesn't, then what's the future for him?

I'm watching the England game right now and it's shite as usual. Norway look the better team in the second half. The thing that kills me is that it is just so fucking slow.

Woot, Euro 2016 qualification starts off with 3 points

Bit of a dull 2nd half in between Georgia vs Rep Ireland, thought was gonna end in a draw but Aiden McGeady pulled off a beautiful goal with some great ball control to position himself for the shot

Edited by Mokong

We got out of jail there. All 3 goals were really good. Now we can sit back and see how the others get on.

Now we can sit back and see how the others get on.

Indeed, best of luck to the Scots I say, opening match vs Germany in Germany so glad that wasn't our opening match

Scotland face some baptism of fire to these Championships alright. Away to the World Cup winners, it doesn't get any tougher than that. I think Germany will win easily though I hope they don't and they'll steamroll all before them in our group. Good luck Scotland!

Thought Scotland had a good showing last night. Although Germany were lacking a couple of big players (no Schweinsteiger to boss the midfield for example) they still had a scary good line up. Scotland held their own, going down to one good cross and one sloppy bit of defending. Anya took his goal incredibly well, he had been threatening that run all night, and I think we deserved the goal. Just a shame we couldn't hold onto it.

David Marshall was quality, we were reasonably organised defensively and the shape looked good. Against some of the smaller nations we are going to need a bit more penetration but I think that was part of the game plan so we should play differently in games where we are favourite. Mulgrew's sending off was daft and he should have come off before the end rather than taking of Fletcher, but then we should have been up against 10 men before that from when Naismith was through on goal.

Feeling pretty positive overall that we can qualify. Poland and Ireland are tough games that we can win, and we should be able to beat Georgia and Gibraltar. 2nd or 3rd in the group is very doable.

God, Danny Wellbeck is so shit at finishing...

Fucking ITV pundits salivating over Danny Welbeck like he's suddenly just burst onto the scene. I don't think I've ever really seen him have a bad game for England. Even my Mum was getting on it tonight on the phone after the game.

"Oh, Danny Welbeck is quite good, isn't he?"

Fucks sake, Muuuuuuuuuuum. You're meant to be on our side.

Welbeck looked like he had a point to prove. Still wasteful but a solid result and some decent attacking football at times.

Lambert does well, I wish he was given more game time!

Woot, Euro 2016 qualification starts off with 3 points

Bit of a dull 2nd half in between Georgia vs Rep Ireland, thought was gonna end in a draw but Aiden McGeady pulled off a beautiful goal with some great ball control to position himself for the shot

I'm back as promised for International week! You guys played well but you needed a Scot to win it for you!

Thought Scotland had a good showing last night. Although Germany were lacking a couple of big players (no Schweinsteiger to boss the midfield for example) they still had a scary good line up. Scotland held their own, going down to one good cross and one sloppy bit of defending. Anya took his goal incredibly well, he had been threatening that run all night, and I think we deserved the goal. Just a shame we couldn't hold onto it.

David Marshall was quality, we were reasonably organised defensively and the shape looked good. Against some of the smaller nations we are going to need a bit more penetration but I think that was part of the game plan so we should play differently in games where we are favourite. Mulgrew's sending off was daft and he should have come off before the end rather than taking of Fletcher, but then we should have been up against 10 men before that from when Naismith was through on goal.

Feeling pretty positive overall that we can qualify. Poland and Ireland are tough games that we can win, and we should be able to beat Georgia and Gibraltar. 2nd or 3rd in the group is very doable.

We were lucky we didn't concede more, there was a chance after a few minutes that they headed wide. Both of our goals, if we had defended better wouldn't have gone in. The first Mueller has a man front and back but still won the ball. The second was just a farce.

Anya was excellent, fantastic composure to score it as he had so much time to think about it.

Mulgrew was terrible for the last 20. I'm one of the few people who think he deserved to be sent off. The rules clearly state it's a booking for kicking the ball away. We were also chasing another goal, what good does it do to boot the ball away? Pure stupidity.

The German's were lucky to finish with 10 players. Potential red card for the non-foul on Naismith in the first half which for some reason wasn't even given. The one in the second half was even more clear cut. Boatang wasn't getting back to cover that. It should've been red.