NEurope
Dog-amoto

Football Season 2014/2015

Thank you Spurs!! :bowdown:

Congrats for retaining your Premier League status, just a shame it's at the expense of Hull since I'd much rather Newcastle were the ones to bite the dust.

I want Juve to win...for Evra. ;)

I think Juve will do it on the day. Can see them being really up for it.

That three minute hat trick is insane...worth checking out Match of the Day for tonight.

I don't normally hate other teams, except if they're rivals, but at least then there is some kind of deeply inner respect on some sort of level. I dislike Liverpool, but I realise that they are worth disliking yet still respect that they have achieved a lot. But...I really fucking hate QPR. They're a shit football team and have added NOTHING bar Charlie Austin this season. They're crap, they play crap football, the management there is crap, the owners are crap, the players are old and crap and...crap. CRAP. CRAPRAP. I fucking hate teams that literally turn up just to take a battering and make up the numbers. One of the worst Premier League teams of all time, no doubt about it.

The Sunderland team going back maybe a decade under Mick McCarthy or was it the Wolves team were one of the worst teams I'd ever seen in the league. They were both bloody awful and he relegated both of them.

I agree QPR are bad and you know they've the 6th highest wage bill in the Premiership which only makes matters worse.

Yep, Sunderland 05/06 needless to say finished rock bottom with 15 points.

Congrats for retaining your Premier League status, just a shame it's at the expense of Hull since I'd much rather Newcastle were the ones to bite the dust.

Still possible! Only 2 points in it...

... is currently getting a bit nauseated with all this OTT Gerrard loving from the press... sick.gif

Edited by Phube
Automerged Doublepost

Liverpool did a fantastic job of sending Slippy G off, haha.

Liverpool did a fantastic job of sending Slippy G off, haha.

As many European cup medals as your entire club. ;)

That was so emotional, I was really struggling to hold back the tears. A legend of the highest order.

article-0-02A510BA0000044D-817_634x483.jpg

Going to miss him. :'(

@MadDog that is true, he does... still, no Premier League medal for him, but at least he got a guard of honour coming on... not quite the same really though.

A part of me has to laugh that Liverpool lost at home today against Palace, it was Steeeeevie's last home game and the result meant that Liverpool definitely won't be in the top four/Champions League this season AND STILL they're fifth on Match of the Day.

He's a great footballer, so it'll be odd not seeing him on the pitch during our game against them and the Merseyside derby.

A part of me has to laugh that Liverpool lost at home today against Palace, it was Steeeeevie's last home game and the result meant that Liverpool definitely won't be in the top four/Champions League this season AND STILL they're fifth on Match of the Day.

He's a great footballer, so it'll be odd not seeing him on the pitch during our game against them and the Merseyside derby.

Laugh away all you want but they're the reason Man Utd are in the Champions League next year. I looked at the team, no striker. Their bench was a joke with only Lambert there as an option. If they had an anyway near decent strike force(obviously Sturridge is injured) Man United would be f*cked. Like Man United fans can brag. What was their result last week? Neither team deserves CL football. I think next year depending on how things go, there's a possibility of only the top 3 qualifying for the CL. Best league in the world my @rse!

Laugh away all you want but they're the reason Man Utd are in the Champions League next year. I looked at the team, no striker. Their bench was a joke with only Lambert there as an option. If they had an anyway near decent strike force(obviously Sturridge is injured) Man United would be f*cked. Like Man United fans can brag. What was their result last week? Neither team deserves CL football. I think next year depending on how things go, there's a possibility of only the top 3 qualifying for the CL. Best league in the world my @rse!

They beat Crystal Palace 1-2...

Your whole "if only" argument is absolute bullshit as always. What if di Maria played like he did in his first couple of games all season? What if Carrick wasn't injured for so much of the season? What if Falcao had actually realised his pre injury form? Every single team can argue "if only".

Hnnnngggg, I love the salty taste of scouse tears.

It's not BS. Liverpool have played nearly the whole season without a recognised striker. The fact that they'd rather play Sterling as a forward than the other options says a lot. Sure other teams have had their problems too but without a striker you're screwed.

United also didn't have a striker who was in any kind of form!

Plus the number of injuries was huge for mos of the season.

It's not BS. Liverpool have played nearly the whole season without a recognised striker. The fact that they'd rather play Sterling as a forward than the other options says a lot. Sure other teams have had their problems too but without a striker you're screwed.

They bought Balotelli, Lambert and they had Borini there, too. The gamble didn't pay off and the others didn't step up to the plate. For a top team to have such a poor selection of strikers is just terrible, imo.

They bought Balotelli, Lambert and they had Borini there, too. The gamble didn't pay off and the others didn't step up to the plate. For a top team to have such a poor selection of strikers is just terrible, imo.

To buy Balotelli and Lambert for a club that finished second last season and wanted to challenge for the title, they were stupid decisions. None of them are good enough, Borini included. Balotelli can has his moments or should I say he had his moments in the past. He's a tempermental spoilt child that's just happy now to collect his pay cheques.

I do think the general quality of the Premier League has been the lowest it has for as long as i can remember. I mean, how many Premier League players would get in a top 10 players in the world list? I don't think they'd be one from England in there.

I do think the general quality of the Premier League has been the lowest it has for as long as i can remember. I mean, how many Premier League players would get in a top 10 players in the world list? I don't think they'd be one from England in there.

I think there's been a number of injuries to key players that have stopped this season from being what it could have been. Buuuut, there is still a shit load of quality. Imo, two of the best goalkeepers in the world play in England (De Gea and Courtois), Aguero, Benteke and Costa all have been amazing, but have had injury problems. Then there's the likes of Hazard and Sanchez, who have been excellent all year long. Fabregas and Matic.

I think there's plenty of quality there, tbh. Each team has had key injuries which has halted some of them from getting a good rhythm going. Even Bayern had Robben and Ribery out in the Champions League due to injury. It's been a strange season everywhere.

I think there's been a number of injuries to key players that have stopped this season from being what it could have been. Buuuut, there is still a shit load of quality. Imo, two of the best goalkeepers in the world play in England (De Gea and Courtois), Aguero, Benteke and Costa all have been amazing, but have had injury problems. Then there's the likes of Hazard and Sanchez, who have been excellent all year long. Fabregas and Matic.

I think there's plenty of quality there, tbh. Each team has had key injuries which has halted some of them from getting a good rhythm going. Even Bayern had Robben and Ribery out in the Champions League due to injury. It's been a strange season everywhere.

Would you put any of them in the worlds top 10 players? I'm not sure i would.

Would you put any of them in the worlds top 10 players? I'm not sure i would.

Definitely. It's subjective though, isn't it? However, I think you'd be hard pressed to find somebody who would say that Costa and Aguero are poverty strikers or that Courtois and De Gea wouldn't make it into your team, etc.

To make a world XI, you'd need to find a system for those players anyway. If you were to choose Suarez for example, would you go 4-3-3? If you were to choose 4-4-2, would that be with Costa up front and another striker like Aguero or a number 10 off it? These world XI things don't really work imo because it's not quite how football works. It's a team sport, rather than a selection of 11 individuals put together...although you try telling Real Madrid that! :D

Hazard has been great this season, too.

Messi

Ronaldo

Suarez

Neymar

Neuer

Lahm

Robben

Modric

I'd put them all above any PL player. Then there's Bale, Iniesta, Ibra, Ribery. I could go on.

Just look at the English teams in Europe.

Chelsea - Comprehensively outplayed over 2 games vs PSG.

Arsenal - Knocked out by Monaco, who are 3rd in Ligue 1.

Liverpool - Less said the better. :p

City - Got knocked out by the best team in the world, but they've been poor in Europe since forever.

It's an exciting league, but there is a lack of individual and team quality in my opinion.

I worded that last sentence wrong, there's a lack of world class quality.

Edited by MadDog

Bale, Iniesta, Ibra, Ribery above Aguero?

Bale is one of the most overated players in the world, plus this season him, Iniesta and Ribery are not even close to a top player. You could say that in the Prem there are Falcao, di Maria (who contributed more to last season CL win then Bale and Ronaldo), but their for was horrible, but so was Bale's, Ribbery's, Iniesta's, or at least average.

Arsenal outplayed Monaco. They have lost, but outplayed them so it's not a really good example.

Neuer can't be put above Courtois and de Gea. I am not saying that they are better but they are at least the same level.

I am United fan, don't even know why I am defending Aguerro and Arsenal.

I do agree that there is a lck of quality in the Prem, but more in the way that the teams are not balanced enough.

Bale, Iniesta, Ibra, Ribery above Aguero?

Bale is one of the most overated players in the world, plus this season him, Iniesta and Ribery are not even close to a top player. You could say that in the Prem there are Falcao, di Maria (who contributed more to last season CL win then Bale and Ronaldo), but their for was horrible, but so was Bale's, Ribbery's, Iniesta's, or at least average.

Arsenal outplayed Monaco. They have lost, but outplayed them so it's not a really good example.

Neuer can't be put above Courtois and de Gea. I am not saying that they are better but they are at least the same level.

I am United fan, don't even know why I am defending Aguerro and Arsenal.

I do agree that there is a lck of quality in the Prem, but more in the way that the teams are not balanced enough.

In terms of positions there's very few if any who you'd pick from the Premiership. Sure Aguero has been great but would you pick him above Suarez? Coirtois above Neuer? Hazard above Messi? I don't think there's any Premiership player that would make it.

Harry Kane would obviously get into any team in the world...

On a more serious note. Lorries would get into most teams in the world. Easily.

Messi

Ronaldo

Suarez

Neymar

Neuer

Lahm

Robben

Modric

I'd put them all above any PL player. Then there's Bale, Iniesta, Ibra, Ribery. I could go on.

Just look at the English teams in Europe.

Chelsea - Comprehensively outplayed over 2 games vs PSG.

Arsenal - Knocked out by Monaco, who are 3rd in Ligue 1.

Liverpool - Less said the better. :p

City - Got knocked out by the best team in the world, but they've been poor in Europe since forever.

It's an exciting league, but there is a lack of individual and team quality in my opinion.

I worded that last sentence wrong, there's a lack of world class quality.

The first two on your list are untouchable and I can see that there are arguments for the next two. But, everyone from there onwards can easily be replaced by another. Hazard could easily go in for Robben. Courtois or De Gea for Neuer. Lahm...I love him and think he's an excellent footballer, but is he top 10 of the world quality? If we're not choosing a list based on position by position, then surely the likes of Sanchez, Costa and Aguero can get in there ahead of him since they're all excellent technical footballers.

I'm sure some would also make an argument for Fabregas over Modric, too.

There's many problems when you look at the English teams and compare them to their European rivals. Barcelona and Real literally hoover up talent from other big teams and don't care about the prices. They also aren't afraid to tell a few porkies along the way (the Neymar deal is being looked at, Messi being looked at for dodging taxes, etc). Bayern also make it their mission to take the best players off their nearest rivals. Dortmund sell a big star player (or lose them in the case of Lewandowski) every summer. They also had next to no competition in the league and so could just concentrate on Europe.

The English teams didn't do so well this year, but we also have to remember that in the last 10 years Chelsea (2012), Liverpool (2005) and United (2008) have won the Champions League, with Arsenal (2006), Liverpool (2007), Chelsea (2008), United (2009) and United (2011) reaching the final. So, it's only been the last season or two when things have changed. That can be put down to a few things:

- Sir Alex leaving United.

- Chelsea changing their managers/Mourinho coming back (they'll make another final within the next 5 years, guaranteed).

- City not quite having the manager to make it in Europe (but they will do it eventually, they've pretty much built a title winning team from scratch (and tons of money, I know))

- Liverpool concentrating on winning the league first. They came close to winning the league TWICE in the time since they last won the Champions League.

-Arsenal are building a better squad and now seem to be attracting top talent to the club in Ozil and Sanchez.

There's plenty of talent in English football. We seem to be asking the wrong question anyway, which really should be Is the top talent in English football English talent? Which the answer would be no. I find that a more pressing issue.

Edited by Fierce_LiNk

In terms of positions there's very few if any who you'd pick from the Premiership. Sure Aguero has been great but would you pick him above Suarez? Coirtois above Neuer? Hazard above Messi? I don't think there's any Premiership player that would make it.

I would pick Aguero instead of Ronaldo as a striker. Hazard would have his place, doesn't have to be instead of Suarez, plus don't forget, Hazard was great in a team that was set up defensively, so he couldn't show everything he can, like Neymar and Suarez can (Messi is in a league of his own). Hazard played on his own when we talk about players with that kind of abilities so it was easier to defend (kick him), while Barcelona has three of them.

Courtois vs. Neuer vs. de Gea (and there are other good keepers) doesn't really matter, as you can pick any of them and you wouldn't be wrong.

But where every league lucks is with really quality defenders (we have seen Bayern vs. Barcelona, it was a joke how they defended, Real also, a joke).

I do agree that there is more talent abroad, but it is more concentrated, but there are still same great players in the Premierleague (as I said, di Maria was one of TOP 3 Real Madrid players last season, was the main reason in the final they have won the game and he came to England, but just couldn't adapt).

I'm amazed that people don't rate Neuer as the best keeper in the world. He's spectacular.

Hazard for Robben? Really?