NEurope
Dog-amoto

Football Season 2014/2015

Unlucky Arsenal but a very good performance. They can be proud. I hope Barca get Monaco next round.

Same old story. Useless in the first leg then so close, yet so far in the second. Had our best draw in years, too. Oh well, maybe next year!

Hopefully we'll push on and get 2nd place (can't see us catching Chelsea) and win the FA Cup again.

Arsenal were unlucky but they did have opportunities tonight. They also worked the ball into very good positions but either didn't play the right pass through and lost the ball or didn't get a good enough cross in to cause trouble.

I imagine most Arsenal fans will be gutted by the game as I feel that this was definitely a winnable tie over two legs. I have no idea how they managed to lose 3-1 in the first leg...Monaco must have played out of their skin.

Wenger has acted like a bit of a dick. Not shaking hands and saying they deserved to lose. Have some class.

Man City are being schooled by Barca. If it weren't for a lot of luck on City's part, they'd be 3 or 4 nil up. Messi is on fire.

Joe Hart should be man of the match. If it wasn't for him they'd have been slaughtered tonight. His first leg penalty save at the death kept them in the tie.

all the pundits really piss me off with this doom and gloom talk about how bad the English teams are.

Arsenal went out at the same stage as the last 4 years so there is no change there, City did the same but they have had awful draws every season. Chelsea would normally get to the quarters or the semis at least but they got the hardest draw possible. So the only real difference from previous seasons is Man Utd would normally get to the quarters at least but were replaced by Liverpool who were playing their first Champions League campaign in a few years and were missing the player who got them there.

all the pundits really piss me off with this doom and gloom talk about how bad the English teams are.

Arsenal went out at the same stage as the last 4 years so there is no change there, City did the same but they have had awful draws every season. Chelsea would normally get to the quarters or the semis at least but they got the hardest draw possible. So the only real difference from previous seasons is Man Utd would normally get to the quarters at least but were replaced by Liverpool who were playing their first Champions League campaign in a few years and were missing the player who got them there.

Sturridge? He was missing too. And a new team nearly trying to gel together. They'd have been much better now as their form shows they're the best in the Premier League at the moment and the only unbeaten side in 2015.

Sturridge? He was missing too. And a new team nearly trying to gel together. They'd have been much better now as their form shows they're the best in the Premier League at the moment and the only unbeaten side in 2015.

Obviously I meant Suarez, but your point is valid.

I just don't get the pundits writing off English teams because of one season. The Champions League has always had that element of "anything can happen" one bad draw, a dodgy ref etc you need these things to go your way to progress and win the competition. If you look at the previous English winners they have all had the rub of the green en-route to winning it. This year we didn't get it.

I know you obviously meant Suarez that's why I wrote "too". Man City were unlucky in the draw getting the best form team in Europe right now and Arsenal must be kicking themselves. Chelsea...who cares? :p

I know you obviously meant Suarez that's why I wrote "too". Man City were unlucky in the draw getting the best form team in Europe right now and Arsenal must be kicking themselves. Chelsea...who cares? :p

yes Arsenal don't have an excuse, got the easiest draw possible and blew it plain and simple, but then Liverpool only managed 5 points in a group that contained Basel and Ludogorets (hardly European heavyweights). If Chelsea had not won back to back Champions League/UEFA Cup then the Premier League would only have 3 teams in the Champions League, so we should all care.

yes Arsenal don't have an excuse, got the easiest draw possible and blew it plain and simple, but then Liverpool only managed 5 points in a group that contained Basel and Ludogorets (hardly European heavyweights). If Chelsea had not won back to back Champions League/UEFA Cup then the Premier League would only have 3 teams in the Champions League, so we should all care.

Imagine if it had been a battle to finish in the top 3 this season :eek:

when i heard Wenger bemoaning the away goals rule, my initial thought was, he was being a bad loser, I've never had an issue with the rule myself, but having read his points and thought it through I actually like the idea of scrapping it and just having extra time and penalties if required. It's certainly more exciting as a fan than just having a draw and that's it.

What's everybody's thoughts on this?

Very happy with the Champions League draw. Wanted Real to get Atletico or Bayern. Simeone has a decent record against them and since last years final defeat I think they've beaten them 4 or 5 times. We should have 3 good teams through, Barca have a tough draw against PSG but hopefully they'll win and that they get to play the winners of Juventus and Monaco in the semis, that's the weakest of the quarter finals.

Whilst all of what you're saying is true, there does need to be some sort of progression. For Arsenal to go out at the same stage for the last 4 years would scream to me that there isn't progression there in Europe. The same for City. You do have to look at the draws but are the performances improving and do they look like they're closing the gap? In my opinion, probably not.

I'm nervous for today's game and part of that is down to our unpredictability. We're so inconsistent that I could see us either winning 3-0 or losing 3-0 today. Both results are entirely plausible. It'll hinge on our midfield and whether we can actually create any chances.

Who's going to win today? Liverpool and Barca.......hopefully. It's too early for the Liverpool v Man U game. Damn ye misbehaving supporters. I never changed my fantasy football team this week, would have put Kane as captain, well tough shit.

Edited by jayseven
when will anyone notice I'm editing these to put the swear words back in?

when i heard Wenger bemoaning the away goals rule, my initial thought was, he was being a bad loser, I've never had an issue with the rule myself, but having read his points and thought it through I actually like the idea of scrapping it and just having extra time and penalties if required. It's certainly more exciting as a fan than just having a draw and that's it.

I don't like away goals very much. Too much is made of a team winning or losing on away goals, it's the narrowist thing a team can 'win' or 'lose' by. A team beats another on away goals and people act like the winning team was vastly superior to the other and gave them a football lesson, in what was essentially a draw.

At the same time though, everybody knows the rules, so not point complaining about away goals after you lose. I imagine the concept of away goals exists purely to appease the cry-babies that can't accept penalty shootouts. Player's and fans literally plead for penalties during normal time, but don't want 5 free pens at the end of the game?

Almost perfect first half from United, although that Lalana chance shows that it is never safe at 1-0!

I've had a feeling all week that we'd lose today.. and it happened :hmm:

With Arsenal at the Emirates on the 4th of April, the slim chance of reaching the top 4 this season may well become an impossible task.

Excellent first half and a careful second. There were a few moments where I expected Fellaini or Smalling to make a mistake and give away silly fouls, but both were very solid today. I lost count of how many headers Fellaini won in both halves of the pitch and I'm intrigued to know how much ground he covered today as he was everywhere.

I'm loving the Mata-Herrera combination. They compliment each other well and are so comfortable with the ball. Both should be starting every game. I've also got to give Smalling and Jones some credit because they were great today together, didn't give away much.

I'm a bit confused over the Gerrard red card because...it was just so unexpected! He was on, then he was off. I actually panicked for a moment and thought the ref had sent Herrera off. Skrtel was a bit lucky to get away with one in the final few seconds as he went in with a stamp on De Gea.

CAtaxMYWwAAfQop.jpg:large

Steven Gerard's heat map.

CAtXTnoUcAEE98H.png:large

He ruined the game for Liverpool. I honestly believe they would have got at least a draw had he not done that.

Steven Gerrard's game by numbers:

40 seconds played

0% pass accuracy

0 tackles won

1 foul

1 red card

What the hell is wrong with him? He may have cost Liverpool 4th place.

He ruined the game for Liverpool. I honestly believe they would have got at least a draw had he not done that.

Based on? If anything they had more chance with 10, as United just completely took their foot off the gas - something they wouldn't (you would think) have done against 11.

40 seconds played

0% pass accuracy

0 tackles won

1 foul

1 red card

cost them the league last season and potentially 4th this season... his legacy is diminishing

I don't like away goals very much. Too much is made of a team winning or losing on away goals, it's the narrowist thing a team can 'win' or 'lose' by. A team beats another on away goals and people act like the winning team was vastly superior to the other and gave them a football lesson, in what was essentially a draw.

At the same time though, everybody knows the rules, so not point complaining about away goals after you lose. I imagine the concept of away goals exists purely to appease the cry-babies that can't accept penalty shootouts. Player's and fans literally plead for penalties during normal time, but don't want 5 free pens at the end of the game?

Away goals is a very old rule and was implemented in an age where travelling to away games was a difficult and prolonged experience, it's use was to encourage the away team to attack when they may have otherwise been negative/lethargic due to the epic journey. In the current age where most away games involve a short flight, the rule does not serve the same purpose and in many ways encourages the home team to play more defensive due to the importance of an away goal. Although it sounded like sour grapes from Wenger I believe he has been pushing this with UEFA for a while.

40 seconds played

0% pass accuracy

0 tackles won

1 foul

1 red card

He made a few passes that were successful and he won a tackle moments before. :p

But yeah, he was an idiot. We were horrible all afternoon, and would have been massively lucky to get a point.

Can and Moreno were terrible. Sakho was brilliant, Skrtel wasn't bad, and I don't think he meant to stand on De Gea at the end.

It was strange, we just looked so out of energy, even though we had sufficient rest before the game. We didn't press the ball half as well as we can do.

Wenger has acted like a bit of a dick. Not shaking hands and saying they deserved to lose. Have some class.

Wenger? Class? Hahahahahhahahahaha.

Definitely needs changing. Wenger has said this multiple times in the past. There's no need for it anymore. Get rid of it completely.