NEurope
Dog-amoto

Football Season 2014/2015

Arsenal fans, are ye not worried that you haven't bought another striker?

Yes, yes we are. Along with a centre back and defensive midfielder.

The summer started out perfectly and we've ended up in the same old situation. We've only replaced like for like, when the squad needed improving.

Yes, yes we are. Along with a centre back and defensive midfielder.

The summer started out perfectly and we've ended up in the same old situation. We've only replaced like for like, when the squad needed improving.

Wenger aiming for 4th?

Urgh. Welbeck is the one player I don't want us to sign. Spurs, you can have him.

Falcao - 350k a week? Ridiculous money. No wonder we were never in the running.

Wenger aiming for 4th?

Shouldn't be aiming for 4th, should be aiming for 1st. But I'll take the 4th place trophy when we win the Champions League. #dazzybeeblindoptimism

Welbeck. It's happened. Too too too too funny. Welbeck and Sanogo as your striking choices.... (Though rumours of huntelaar)

Like Sturridge who revived his career at Liverpool, I'm sure Welbeck could do the same with us.

He has nothing to revive. He's never had ability. The guy is an AWFUL striker. He can be an okay wing forward, but that's the last thing you need. Arsenal are gobsmackingly lacking ing up front, no depth in cb or cm.... Once Europe and the cup starts a few injuries could be really damaging.

What a day this has been, fucking crazy.

The Falcao deal isn't THAT strange I guess considering that we're moving on Welbeck and Hernandez is going to Real on loan. So, we've gone from 4 strikers to 3 which is a lot more manageable, imo. Should give a youngster like Wilson a chance from the bench too.

RvP and Rooney didn't exactly score bucket loads last weekend and their partnership doesn't really exist. In fact, they do need somebody to pressure them because they're not really setting the world alight at the moment. So, to me, it makes sense.

I'm probably in the minority here but I'd rather keep Welbeck and get rid of Rooney. That's my own personal opinion, though. Rooney hasn't been the same to many United fans since his first transfer request and he never really won them around after the second one.

Blind is a confusing deal. Are we buying him for Defensive mid? Not sure he's what we need there. I'm not sure I can complain because we've signed two utterly fantastic players in Di Maria and Falcao, two great young prospects in Herrera and Shaw and two good players who should improve us in Rojo and Blind. My only complaint is that we still haven't got the dominant centreback or central midfielder that we really need. I'm guessing Van Gaal wants Strootman, who is a more than perfect option, so I can see him going for him next summer.

Edit: Hmm, slightly worried that the Falcao deal hasn't gone through yet. Wonder if this could be like Coentrao like season where we went in for it late and it collapsed. It should go through, though. The player is at the training ground, so he's come all this way. I'd be shocked if it fell through now.

Edited by Fierce_LiNk

He has nothing to revive. He's never had ability. The guy is an AWFUL striker. He can be an okay wing forward, but that's the last thing you need. Arsenal are gobsmackingly lacking ing up front, no depth in cb or cm.... Once Europe and the cup starts a few injuries could be really damaging.

No depth at CM, are you sure?

Arteta, Flamini, Ramsey, Wilshere, Rosicky, Cazorla, Özil, Diaby, Ox at a push can all play centre mid.

I concede we're short at the back. Selling Vermaelen and not replacing him was unforgivable.

Agree with Kav and Mad Dog, all strikers 3 upfront looks unbalanced. The diamond makes more sense, and if they must play all 3 then it makes more sense for rooney to drop back. However I think signing Falcao will allow LVG to rest one of the three and have one on the bench to come on with fresh legs.

They'll also have to be able to play just one of them with Mata, Di Maria, Valencia, Young, etc helping to make up a front three. Because if they have an injury to just one of them they could be struggling for options now that Hernandez and Welbeck are gone.

No depth at CM, are you sure?

Arteta, Flamini, Ramsey, Wilshere, Rosicky, Cazorla, Özil, Diaby, Ox at a push can all play centre mid.

I concede we're short at the back. Selling Vermaelen and not replacing him was unforgivable.

I think you needed a DM personally. Maybe not. We'll see I guess.

Apparently Wenger sees Chambers as a DM in the future... for now we have Arteta and Flamini. I personally think we needed some strengthening in defence, but we're stuck with what we've got now. Fingers crossed for no injuries to Mertesacker and Koscielny!

I think you needed a DM personally. Maybe not. We'll see I guess.

So do I. But a DM is not a CM and you said CM.

So do I. But a DM is not a CM and you said CM.

Well I think it is :) Most of the players you're talking about are AM. I meant the ones that sit in the middle link the attack with the defence.

Anyone up for putting down their teams/squads in their formations to compare what they're all like? Or is that a bit too geeky for some?

I'll start with Spurs

Team 1

---------------Lloris

Walker--Fazio--Vertonghen--Davies

--------Dembele--Stambouli

Lamela------Eriksen------Chadli

-------------Adebayor

Team 2

---------------Vorm

Dier-----Kaboul--Chiriches--Rose

----------Bentaleb--Capoue

Lennon-----Paulinho------Townsend

-------------Soldado

Rounding out the ideal 25 man squad - Friedel, Naughton, Kane

I'll support Danny Welbeck all the way and hope he does well for us.

Overall we had a very good transfer window. Not bringing in a DM and especially another CB might prove costly, we have to sign a CB in the next window.

Courtois

Ivanovic, Cahill, Terry, Felipe Luis

Fabregas, Matic

Schürrle, Oscar, Hazard

Costa

Cech

Azpilicueta, Zouma, Christensen, Aké

Ramires, Mikel, Willian

Salah, Drogba, Remy

The squad is completed with Schwarzer and Baker, 24 man squad.

I know Azpilicueta is currently playing as first choice left back but if you couldn't play one team member in the other team then I'd line them up as so... maybe tweak the 2nd team formation slightly too.

It think these are Liverpool's two strongest line ups on paper for our two favourite formations. Although obviously Lallana is still largely untested in a Liverpool shirt, but you'd hope he'd establish himself as a regular starter.

4-4-2 (diamond)

----------------Mignolet

Johnson----Skrtel-----Lovren------Moreno

----------------Gerrard

-------Henderson---------Lallana

----------------Sterling

---------Sturridge-----Balotelli

4-3-3

----------------Mignolet

Johnson----Skrtel-----Lovren------Moreno

-------Henderson-------Gerrard

-----------------Lallana

Sterling---------Sturridge--------Coutinho

Other players:

Jones (GK)

Toure (CB)

Sakho (CB)

Manquillo (RB)

Enrique (LB)

Flannagan (RB/LB)

Lucas (DM)

Allen (DM/CM)

Can (CM)

Suso (AM/WG)

Markovic (WG)

Borini (CF/WG)

Lambert (CF)

We have some very versatile players. Wingers that can play both sides, strikers that do a job out wide, midfielders that can fill a variety of roles. For example we can play 4-3-3 and have Sturridge wide right to accomodate Balotelli down the middle. Sterling and Coutinho, and to a lesser extent Suso, can play either wing as well as attacking mid. Sterling can even play as part of a front two.

I guess our best lineup with everyone fit.

-----------------Szczesny

Debuchy --Koscielny -- Mertesacker -- Gibbs

----------------Arteta

-------------Ramsey

Walcott ----------Ozil--------Sanchez

----------------Giroud

Back up

------------------Ospina

Bellerin----Hayden------Chambers ----- Monreal

--------------------Flamini

--------------Wilshere ------Rosicky

Oxlade-Chamberlain-------------------Cazorla

-------------------Welbeck

We literally have 6 first team defenders on the books. That is worrying. Especially when Gibbs can't keep fit for longer than 3 months, Nacho isn't very good and Chambers is only 19.

Edited by Ramar

4-4-2 (diamond)

----------------Mignolet

Manquillo----Lovren-----Sakho------Moreno

----------------Gerrard

-------Henderson---------Lallana

----------------Sterling

---------Sturridge-----Balotelli

Made 2 changes in defence, and that's imo our strongest 11.

Made 2 changes in defence, and that's imo our strongest 11.

For me, Sakho is far too dodgy to get a spot in the first team. Everytime he gets the ball I cringe. Some of the passing and clearances he makes are awful.

For me, Sakho is far too dodgy to get a spot in the first team. Everytime he gets the ball I cringe. Some of the passing and clearances he makes are awful.

I kind of understand, as he does look awkward, but the passing stats show he's always towards the top when it comes to pass accuracy.

I'd agree there's not much in it between Sakho and Skrtel, on their day both are beasts, but equally both are capable of dropping a clanger,. I'd favour Skrtel though due to his experience within the team and in the Premiership, but considering how much he cost I'd like to think Sakho will threaten Skrtel's place in the side and eventually take it.

I think manquillo has looked promising, I'd still go for Johnson though again based on experience and attacking threat. Can't really recall seeing much of manquillo in the final third yet. I think the attacking aspect is important because he rely on our fullbacks for our attacking width, especial when we play the diamond. When we build from the back, Gerrard drops back to the centre back position and the full backs push on, essentially going to 3-5-2.

I read recently it was looking likely that Johnson might leave next summer, which makes me think it was a bit odd we let Kelly go on a permanent move. I always felt like he was being groomed to take over right back eventually. He fits our perchant for young British players, and he was already settled in and a known quanity. It actually wouldn't surprise me if he already played for Palace, we'd probably want to buy him. Hopefully Manquillo will be the man though. Plus we still have Flanno.

Liverpools backup team is much weaker than I expected it to be actually... Arsenal's defence - you really need some luck until January!

Can't wait to see Man U's :) Come on @feirce_link