NEurope
Wii

Capcom now open for takeover

13GB is the extreme, yes, but very large patches are a significant issue that keep cropping up. Dead Rising had a similar size, but not day one, Wolfenstein had one, and it just keeps happening.

The Dead Rising one was for DLC. Every time a new piece of the season pass came out another large patch arrived. Everyone was essentially downloading the DLC and then if you chose to buy it the game would unlocked it for you. It's why the size of the DLC files on the store were tiny. Ryse also operates in this manner.

It's not ideal but it's not really a patch as such, just extra content.

The Dead Rising one was for DLC. Every time a new piece of the season pass came out another large patch arrived. Everyone was essentially downloading the DLC and then if you chose to buy it the game would unlocked it for you. It's why the size of the DLC files on the store were tiny. Ryse also operates in this manner.

It's not ideal but it's not really a patch as such, just extra content.

Ok, well at least that's logically explainable. How about the rest?

Dude the other consoles have a 500GB hard drive... My PS3 has a 160GB hard drive and I haven't had to think about it yet.

Edited by Retro_Link

Dude the other consoles have a 500GB hard drive... My PS3 has a 160GB hard drive and I haven't had to think about it yet.

Yeah, but these consoles have mandatory installations for all games, on games that, as was said, are ever increasing in filesize. You'll have to clean up so often if you purchase a decent amount of games.

Yes, @Sheikah, I may have fast Internet, as may many others, but that doesn't make it acceptable yet. Have some consideration for the others. I care about other people, that's what makes me human.

I'll tell you what's unacceptable; that these games require electricity. This in no way affects me as I live within a power station, but on behalf of remote villages within Africa I am so personally ashamed that I'm going to be throwing my consoles off the nearest cliff.

Ok, well at least that's logically explainable. How about the rest?

The only other I've played from your list is Wolfenstein. I have no idea why it had a patch but at the end of the day it doesn't bother me like it does you. It was still a quality game, despite the patch. :bowdown:

Yeah, but these consoles have mandatory installations for all games, on games that, as was said, are ever increasing in filesize. You'll have to clean up so often if you purchase a decent amount of games.

For my One I have

Forza 5

Dead Rising 3

Zoo Tycoon

Metal Gear Solid Ground Zeroes

Lego Movie

Lego Marvel Superheroes

Tomb Raider

Wolfenstein

Ryse

Titanfall

Max Curse of Brotherhood

Killer Instinct

Halo Spartan Assault

Kinect Sports Rivals

FIFA

I have DLC for a lot of these games, as well as a bunch of Apps and I'm not even halfway through my hard drive space yet.

The only other I've played from your list is Wolfenstein. I have no idea why it had a patch but at the end of the day it doesn't bother me like it does you. It was still a quality game, despite the patch. :bowdown:

For my One I have

Forza 5

Dead Rising 3

Zoo Tycoon

Metal Gear Solid Ground Zeroes

Lego Movie

Lego Marvel Superheroes

Tomb Raider

Wolfenstein

Ryse

Titanfall

Max Curse of Brotherhood

Killer Instinct

Halo Spartan Assault

Kinect Sports Rivals

FIFA

I have DLC for a lot of these games, as well as a bunch of Apps and I'm not even halfway through my hard drive space yet.

I have a third of that for my Wii U and that includes VC games and I've got no space :(

I have a third of that for my Wii U and that includes VC games and I've got no space :(

This more or less highlights the irony in Serebii's posts - he is criticising the lack of space on other consoles for patches yet on Nintendo's console there is barely enough space to house a couple of Wii U games.

The thing that's filling up my Wii U space is third party patches...

The thing that's filling up my Wii U space is third party patches...

What with the free Mario Kart 8 game giveaway, that took my Wii U to full straight away.

@flameboy had a valid point about the Wii U's specs. Even Nintendo sometimes say that power is important for what you can do in terms of gameplay: open world Zelda on the Wii U is only possible due to the power of the Wii U, when Nintendo couldn't do it before (they had to split it apart in Wind Waker) so it makes sense that other gameplay choices can only be fully fulfilled by the PS4/XBO.

Anyway, this topic is about Capcom.

Patches aren't ideal. However, if they fix problems, then I don't see much wrong with it. Would you rather a game get released full of bugs and issues? A patch could potentially fix many of Mario Kart's flaws, would you still see it as a problem then? Like many have said, games are more complex now on a technical level that there are bound to be some problems here or there that don't get fixed before release.

The real issue here is the absolute poverty memory capacity of the Wii U. 32GB is a joke. That's Premium by the way. PREMIUM.

We won't have to worry about patches on Nintendo games because that would be them admitting the game isn't perfect.

Isn't one of the factors leading to Capcoms current situation the fact they chased the high-end AAA model of last gen?

Maybe going back to their roots and focusing on gameplay on a 'weaker' system could suit them. Nintendo would make sense but then again it suits Nintendo to have less software houses in the industry.

Fascinating...

The real issue here is the absolute poverty memory capacity of the Wii U. 32GB is a joke. That's Premium by the way. PREMIUM.

It's like the apple Premium...

Isn't one of the factors leading to Capcoms current situation the fact they chased the high-end AAA model of last gen?

Maybe going back to their roots and focusing on gameplay on a 'weaker' system could suit them.

That was one of the reason for their fall.

They tried to capture western gamers by changing their franchises to suit the CoD crowd.

They started chasing the mobile market and still haven't seen much success with it.

They have lost the plot when it comes to using their IPs. Megaman has had a staggering fall from grace. Resident Evil, despite still selling well, is no where near as good as it used to be. Breath of Fire has been relegated to mobiles. Onimusha has been shoved as a social game. The list goes on.

They were also caught using dodgy business practices, such as sticking DLC on the disc and then charging people to unlock the contents.

The only other company to lose the plot as much as Capcom is probably Square-Enix.

Yeah that's what I was getting at. The thread read like CAPCOM should go full-on AAA. Then there was some HDD bickering so I can't remember where that theme was. Last gen screwed so many studios. :-(

The only other company to lose the plot as much as Capcom is probably Square-Enix.
And Konami. Hell they've lost it even worse than Capcom I reckon! :(

Nah, S-E is still pretty hot. Just been playing FFXIV and they've been doing a smashing job, and their dragon quest games have been excellent. And even though I didn't enjoy Bravely Default there's no denying it did pretty well.

Nah, S-E is still pretty hot. Just been playing FFXIV and they've been doing a smashing job, and their dragon quest games have been excellent. And even though I didn't enjoy Bravely Default there's no denying it did pretty well.

Compare their output from the PSOne era and now. The difference is crazy.

Final Fantasy XIII was in development hell and we've been given two sequels just to try and recoup the costs. I had no issue with XIII but many fans hated it.

Final Fantasy Versus is now around 7 years old and it's still no where in sight.

Kingdom Hearts franchise got passed around from platform up platform like a whore, to the point where many fans missed out on various titles. Luckily this is being sorted with the HD collections.

Dragon Quest has no presence in the West at the moment and that series is being whored out to the mobile market.

Early Final Fantasy game ports on mobiles are being made with little quality. These look and apparently play really badly. There's also that FF game that's pay to win.

It has taken years to get Final Fantasy Type 0 over to the west. It was the most wanted game by FF fans yet they just ignored them and gave people more lightning.

Final Fantasy XIV was a colossal mess at launch and S-E had to restructure whole teams to get the thing on track again.

And Konami. Hell they've lost it even worse than Capcom I reckon! :(

In the 16bit era they were great. Once 32bit era arrived I can't think of anything from them other than Metal Gear Solid, Silent Hill, Pro Evo and Castlevania. Pretty much as they are now. :D

I don't disagree that Square were better back then, but they're still good now. They actually have Dragon Quest now at least unlike when they were just Square, and the remade FFXIV is really good. Kingdom Hearts and the next FF game looks to be shaping up pretty good, and I've enjoyed their recent HD remakes. Not like Capcom's recent Resi which I found pretty terrible.

I don't disagree that Square were better back then, but they're still good now. They actually have Dragon Quest now at least unlike when they were just Square, and the remade FFXIV is really good. Kingdom Hearts and the next FF game looks to be shaping up pretty good, and I've enjoyed their recent HD remakes. Not like Capcom's recent Resi which I found pretty terrible.

It was Wada's reign of terror and his unhealthy obsession with Lightning that caused many an issue. Hopefully Matsuda will get them back on track.

FFXV better release next year or there is going to be hell on. People are already peed off with how long it's taken and the fact that they didn't even show it at E3 this year doesn't exactly fill you with confidence. Hopefully it will show up at TGS.

I loved KH HD Remix and the second is one of my most anticipated titles this year. It's just a shame it doesn't arrive until December.

They do still have it in them but the gems are few and far between.

In the 16bit era they were great. Once 32bit era arrived I can't think of anything from them other than Metal Gear Solid, Silent Hill, Pro Evo and Castlevania. Pretty much as they are now. :D
Well there's this absolute classic for a start:

One of the best N64 games, right up there with SM64 and OoT.

And of course Eledees on Wii:

But they are indeed a shadow of what they were during the 16-bit era. :hmm:

I wouldn't be fussed, but they're sitting on such great IPs... Mystical Ninja, TwinBee, Contra, Parodius, Eledees, Bomerman, Kororinpa... :cry:

Much worse than Capcom in that regard.