NEurope
Wii

Capcom now open for takeover

Capcom shareholders open company up to takeover possibility

Newsbrief: Today, Capcom announced that at its most recent investor meeting, its shareholders voted to end the company's takeover defense -- which means that Capcom could now be acquired if a company buys up large amounts of its stock.

Many companies have defenses against a stock purchase takeover, and there are various schemes and strategies they can adopt to block a party from gaining control of the company by buying up its stock.

Capcom originally put such countermeasures in place in 2008 following a shareholder vote. This latest development won't stop the company's management from attempting to "react to make necessary measures within the admissible limits of applicable laws and regulations," the company said in its statement.

http://gamasutra.com/view/news/219300/Capcom_shareholders_open_company_up_to_takeover_possibility.php

I would love for Nintendo to buy Capcom. Nintendo need more developers and have been really tight with the purse strings. Regardless of this situation, they should have already been acquiring more studios. Capcom would be a great investment. You'd get all their franchises, their talent and being Japanese would make the transition smoother. Only slight argument I have is it's more Western focused and orientated developers that they need.

Split your post out of the Wii U General Discussion as it's not really related to the Wii U.

*sigh*

Goddammit, Capcom. You used to be cool, then you sold your soul, and look what happened. Even if this was inevitable, at least you could've retained your dignity, but no.

I hope Nintendo is the one to buy Capcom. Inject some Nintendo philosophy back into them. Any company who'll care about quality games and treating developers with respect, really.

Sega should buy them out, so all the addictive franchises are all for the taking when the Dreamcast 2 launches.

Seriously, if one of the big three bought these guys outright, the shockwave would be immense.

Sega should buy them out, so all the addictive franchises are all for the taking when the Dreamcast 2 launches.

Seriously, if one of the big three bought these guys outright, the shockwave would be immense.

Needs to be Nintendo. Can't risk losing MH exclusivity, plus it'd help fill some of the genre holes in the Wii U line-up and mean we may get a Mega Man revival.

Capcom's market capital atm is only $500m so Nintendo could do it easily, and it'd vastly expand their revenue and output.

Needs to be Nintendo. Can't risk losing MH exclusivity, plus it'd help fill some of the genre holes in the Wii U line-up and mean we may get a Mega Man revival.

Capcom's market capital atm is only $500m so Nintendo could do it easily, and it'd vastly expand their revenue and output.

But with that logic, it could also need to be Sony, to get Monster Hunter back on their platforms. Or Microsoft, to get even more exclusives with one swift move.

Any of them could afford it. And even if they couldn't, they'd still take on the debt. But it won't work out like this at all, no one will ever get an outright ownership as they'd all be aiming for it and it assumes that one party gets the approval of every shareholder to sell their shares. It is a very unlikely outcome.

But with that logic, it could also need to be Sony, to get Monster Hunter back on their platforms. Or Microsoft, to get even more exclusives with one swift move.

Any of them could afford it. And even if they couldn't, they'd still take on the debt. But it won't work out like this at all, no one will ever get an outright ownership as they'd all be aiming for it and it assumes that one party gets the approval of every shareholder to sell their shares. It is a very unlikely outcome.

Yeah but I prefer Nintendo to Sony :p

Plus, Sony is showing signs of ditching the handheld market. So them gaining MH exclusivity is pointless.

I personally would like Sony or Microsoft to nab the MH license. I'm sick of the franchise being stuck on handhelds and being held back on a technical level. I would love to see the series being made for consoles again.

Megaman would fit nicely on the Nintendo console. As for things like Resident Evil, Dead Rising, DMC etc. I think they would fit on any platform.

I personally would like Sony or Microsoft to nab the MH license. I'm sick of the franchise being stuck on handhelds and being held back on a technical level. I would love to see the series being made for consoles again.

Megaman would fit nicely on the Nintendo console. As for things like Resident Evil, Dead Rising, DMC etc. I think they would fit on any platform.

But Monster Hunter sells best on portables, that's why it sticks to it.

But Monster Hunter sells best on portables, that's why it sticks to it.

The series started on a console and Capcom have been riding that engine ever since. I hated how the 3DS got the series over the Vita because it required little effort on Capcoms part as they just used the assets of the original game. Had Sony kept the series Capcom would have been forced to give the game a graphical overhaul on the Vita.

I think this is a big reason why they switched from the PS3 to the Wii during the development of MH3.

The series started on a console and Capcom have been riding that engine ever since.

Really? I thought the first game was on PSP.

That said, Capcom had their reasons for keeping the franchise portable, much like Nintendo had their reasons to keep Fire Emblem, Pokémon, Advance Wars, etc. portable as well.

All of it is a moot point, as I doubt Capcom will be this picky when buyout offers appear. They're likely to go with the highest bidder regardless.

If Nintendo were to buy Capcom out though am I right in thinking that they could essentially demand them to make MH4U for Wii U in addition to 3DS? :wtf:

That wouldn't be a bad turn of events, also what about when the Gamcube VC games come along, all of the Resident Evil games upscaled to HD would be lovely not to mention the possibility of new Megaman games in the future which would take the franchise back to where it started out originally; on a Nintendo console. : peace:

All I can say is that I hope Microsoft don't get their hands on Capcom, that would be pretty bad... Nintendo or Sony would make more sense.

The series started on a console and Capcom have been riding that engine ever since. I hated how the 3DS got the series over the Vita because it required little effort on Capcoms part as they just used the assets of the original game. Had Sony kept the series Capcom would have been forced to give the game a graphical overhaul on the Vita.

I think this is a big reason why they switched from the PS3 to the Wii during the development of MH3.

It may have started on a console, but that doesn't mean that it sells better on a console. When it shifted to portable, its sales hot up, and since then, portable versions have sold very well while console ones have had modest sales at best.

I think Nintendo are currently in the best position to buy Capcom. They've said that they're willing to take risks with acquisitions, and Capcom would be a pretty good choice. The other two seem to be restructuring a lot at the moment (and selling off parts they don't want), so I don't think taking over a large company is something they want to do.

I can also see Nintendo doing the following if they took over Capcom:

- Asking COMCEPT to co-develop a Mega Man game.

- Offer Platinum the chance to make Viewtiful Joe and Okami games.

- Rebooting Resident Evil with Shinji Mikami.

- The latest version of SF4 ported to Wii U (unless 5 is a good way into development)

- A Wii U version of MH4, to help boost sales.

Really? I thought the first game was on PSP.

Yeah, started on the PS2 ( happy days ) and then they used those assets to create the PSP versions and beyond.

It may have started on a console, but that doesn't mean that it sells better on a console. When it shifted to portable, its sales hot up, and since then, portable versions have sold very well while console ones have had modest sales at best.

I'm not arguing that it has far superior sales on a handheld. My point is the series has been held back graphically by the platforms they chose to put the games on. If Sony or Microsoft nabbed the series then they would have no choice to give the series a kick in the butt, whether it be a console version or a Vita version.

You know, it just dawned on me that Nintendo usually lets developers work on what they want, 2nd parties included. Meanwhile, there were people at Capcom that were trying to convince their superiors to let them work on franchises like Darkstalkers and Megaman Legends, but they just couldn't get that green light.

If Nintendo acquired Capcom, I wonder if we could see the revival of such projects.

Split your post out of the Wii U General Discussion as it's not really related to the Wii U.

Thanks, I knew I should have created a topic for it. Thought it would get more attention in there than here but the opposite happened before you moved it.

having Resident Evil, Street Fighter and Monster Hunter as Nintendo exclusives would shift consoles although maybe not enough to claw back $500 million

Finally something we can agree on. :)

Thanks, I knew I should have created a topic for it. Thought it would get more attention in there than here but the opposite happened before you moved it.

Nah, it probably would have been buried under all the usual argumentsdiscussions in there which is also why I split it out.

Personally I'd love for it to be Nintendo too, my most notable memory of a great collaboration was of course the fantastic Oracle games - I think Ninty and Capcom could work well together and it could be just what they need - assuming they don't somehow mess it all up.

Not sure Nintendo need MH exclusivity. The DS never had MH.

Also it's more than likely that next time around there will only be one handheld to choose from as I can't see Sony releasing another one.

I can think of another reason why it makes sense for Nintendo to take over Capcom: to create more "mature" games while retaining their "family" image.

Nintendo could publish their mature titles under the "Capcom" name, keeping them as seemingly separate entities. Similar to Disney and Touchstone Pictures.