NEurope
Charlie

Broadband provider recommendations?

I'm moving out of my current flat where I have 100mb Virgin into a building where fibre optic isn't available. Max speed I'll be able to get is around 10Mb :(

Unfortunately this means I'll need to find a new broadband provider. I'll need unlimited downloads (properly unlimited), no throttling, allows torrents and priorities gaming.

Anyone got any good recommendations as I'm totally out the scene having been so comfortable with Virgin over the past 5 years.

I've been with Virgin for a couple of years so my knowledge is a little out of date. My tech savvy brother-in-law is always going on about how good talktalk are these days. I find that hard to believe given how rubbish they were, but he's with them and raves. I was with a small company called Xilo (http://www.ispreview.co.uk/review/top10.php) and found them okay. Really transparent granular control over your connection and no throttling or shaping at all. Bit expensive.

Sky are pretty good from word of mouth in my street. I've heard that Plusnet is decent as well.

From my own experience, BT are good for internet. Got a totally unlimited connection (after badgering them for 6 months after getting Fibre), but the standard broadband is unlimited i believe.

From my own experience, BT are good for internet. Got a totally unlimited connection (after badgering them for 6 months after getting Fibre), but the standard broadband is unlimited i believe.

Although if you have more than 4 or 5 devices, you'll need to buy a non-BT router.

Cheers guys. We were thinking Sky so will probably go with that.

Gutted I can't get Virgin.

Kind of piggybacking this thread a bit but I was wondering if it was worth me upgrading my router.

Basically my current one came from Virgin (are I'm very happy with btw) around 5 years ago and I was wondering if I'd get any benefit from a new one. Has the technology changed enough in 5 years to get me faster, more powerful wifi, or will it just be a waste of money?

Although if you have more than 4 or 5 devices, you'll need to buy a non-BT router.

True, i've since wired my consoles and computer to the router via an ethernet 5-1 box thingy. And my parents computer direct to the router, wireless is left for the laptop,phones and handheld console.

Hardly get a drop-out, and get twice the speed.

I'm moving out of my current flat where I have 100mb Virgin into a building where fibre optic isn't available. Max speed I'll be able to get is around 10Mb :(

[...]

Anyone got any good recommendations

Don't move....

Plusnet are good, and you can get unlimited for £3.50 a month (plus line rental).

I found Talk Walk to be really shit. Although you can get really cheap sim only mobile phone contracts with them if you're a broadband customer.

Used Plusnet for a year or do in uni a while back. Best customer service I've ever had the pleasure of engaging with. My mum has been a Talk Talk customer since forever and they seem pretty decent. Had 'em for years at the old family home, never had a serious problem.

Kind of piggybacking this thread a bit but I was wondering if it was worth me upgrading my router.

Basically my current one came from Virgin (are I'm very happy with btw) around 5 years ago and I was wondering if I'd get any benefit from a new one. Has the technology changed enough in 5 years to get me faster, more powerful wifi, or will it just be a waste of money?

Just ring up and ask for a new router, they should give you one. Say you keep getting slow speeds or the wifi keeps disconnecting.

I've had the following:

Orange

Sky

Virgin

BT

Orange is a no-no, which is now EE. Stay clear.

Sky - good speeds and good customer service. I've never had issue

Virgin - Brilliant speeds, but not particularly reliable, although the customer service was always good when I was with them.

BT - My new provider. BT seem to have a bad rep and I was wary to be using them, but they've been brilliant since I've been with them. They are the only provider in this area that can top more than 4mb (we have 80mb but average around 60mb). I would recommend seeing if your new area has the cabinet switched on, they have deadlines for areas so they might be able to mention if you can get it any time soon :).

My friend works for plusnet and also recommends these guys, they seem friendly and have decent customer service, but not unlimited speed if I recall.

The only provider I've come across to not cap is BT, which is surprising, I imagine in my area soon they will have to due to the demand, but for now its very good.

Edited by nightwolf

BT - My new provider. BT seem to have a bad rep and I was wary to be using them, but they've been brilliant since I've been with them. They are the only provider in this area that can top more than 4mb (we have 80mb but average around 60mb). I would recommend seeing if your new area has the cabinet switched on, they have deadlines for areas so they might be able to mention if you can get it any time soon :).

BT Infinity, from what I remember, has an 18 month contract which is no good as we're only on an initial 6 month lease!

Orange is a no-no, which is now EE. Stay clear.

The swear word strong enough to adequately emphasize how bad Orange/EE is has not yet developed in the English language. They are a mortal insult unto themselves.

BT Infinity, from what I remember, has an 18 month contract which is no good as we're only on an initial 6 month lease!

But you also said you can't get Fibre...

I was with Virgin, on their 20mb deal, but changed to Sky Fibre which seems a lot faster for some reason, even though the advertised speed isn't as much as Virgin's.

The swear word strong enough to adequately emphasize how bad Orange/EE is has not yet developed in the English language. They are a mortal insult unto themselves.

Agreed on that, Orange are truly terrible.

In the past i've had Talktalk, BT, Orange and more recently Sky. Talktalk is OK, cheap and cheerful but the only way to get decent customer service is to escalate to the CEO office. Orange is fine, nothing spectacular. BT and Sky are excellent (if only for reliable access to their wifi hotspots).

The key thing to do before choosing any broadband provider is to check if the exchange has been LLU unbundled (check out samknows). If their not unbundled you're simply on BT's wholesale service (which seems, but shouldn't be a poorer service). If your ISP has an LLU connection at your local exchange the whole product/service is provided by them.