NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Hogge

Wii U: Abundance of 2D games?

Am I the only one who thinks the Wii U is receiving an abundance of first and second party 2D style games?

Despite the persistant software drought, which has been present since early last year, Nintendo and partners have persisted in announcing and releasing a bunch of games which frankly have zero potential to sell consoles.

They kicked off the launch with New Mario Bros (out of all the games they could have promoted the at the time most powerful game console in the world) and made a big deal out of Rayman during E3 that same year. The following year kicked off with the announcement of Yarn Yoshi and Luigi U. Not to mention the surprise launch of Dr. Luigi. During E3 that same year, they showed off Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze.

During this years E3 they firstly showed off a new 2D Kirby, Mario & Donkey Kong, Mario Maker and during interviews they've stated that they're working on both a new 2D and 3D Metroid.

Am I the only one who can see this? Can we not agree that Nintendo need to bring out a wider range of games, rather than saturating their machine with this 2D content?

It's not like they've got this tremendously large pool of teams that have never worked on 3D games before, just look at the N64 line up. Yoshi's Story, Pokémon Puzzle League, Dr.Mario 64 and Kirby 64 and presto, that's the entire list of first party 2D style games for the N64.

Do not take me wrong: I think that Yarn Yoshi is as charming and cool looking as the next person and Mario Maker is an awesome idea. But if they want to drive hardware sales, they need considerably more variety.

Please share your thoughts.

Am I the only one who thinks the Wii U is receiving an abundance of first and second party 2D style games?

You kidding, right?

As far as this forum goes, I've yet to find someone who doesn't think this!

I'm fine with it.

No different to the other consoles having an abundance of shooters.

Difference is, I find 2D games fun.

Also, there's no evidence that the 2D Metroid will be on the Wii U. Plus, lumping puzzle games in just as "2D" is a bit ridiculous...

I also take exception at singling out New Super Luigi U as an example. That was DLC for New Super Mario Bros. U. DLC won't suddenly change a game's genre.

Edited by Serebii

Lol I echo Glen-i.

It's like, the one thing people are always complaining about! And it's completely justified most of the time as yes, there are a lot of these kinda games.

But I like em! :heh: So I'll play em!

But I have left playing DK until I want to play it as I was feeling a bit platformed out.

2d Metroid I'm happy with... for me though we have too many 2D platformers. I'm not saying they're not good, I just don't enjoy them anywhere near as much as 3D ones.

2D overload for me.

I also take exception at singling out New Super Luigi U as an example. That was DLC for New Super Mario Bros. U. DLC won't suddenly change a game's genre.
It was sold at retail as its own game, I'd count it.

Add NES rexis 1 & 2, Pullblox and Mario Maker to the list too.

Heck even Super Mario 3D World often operates on somewhat of a side scrolling perspective.

I guess they're the quickest type of genre to produce.

But ah well, they're largely all great.

It was sold at retail as its own game, I'd count it.

Add NES rexis 1 & 2, Pullblox and Mario Maker to the list too.

Heck even Super Mario 3D World often operates on somewhat of a side scrolling perspective.

I guess they're the quickest type of genre to produce.

But ah well, they're largely all great.

Do you count GTA IV: The Lost and the Damned as a separate game because it had a retail release?

As far as this forum goes, I've yet to find someone who doesn't think this!

I'm fine with it.
:laughing:

Glen-i, meet Serebii. :heh:

Do you count GTA IV: The Lost and the Damned as a separate game because it had a retail release?
This thread is about an abundance of 2D software releases on the Wii U. NSLB was a big game with loads of effort put into it. I don't really see how it makes a difference.

If this thread was 'An abundance of third person sandbox games on 360/PS3' I'd count Lost and the Damned yes.

:laughing:

Glen-i, meet Serebii. :heh:

I said I was fine with it, not that I hadn't noticed :p

My perspective on this is mixed.

On one hand - 'YES', there is definitely too many 2D games on the Wii U. It's platform central. NSMBU, NSLU, DKCTF, Yoshi's WW, Kirby, Mario Maker and forgive me if I've missed others.

I feel Nintendo should have diversified the output on the Wii U. Where's Star Fox, Wave Race, Stunt Race, F-Zero, Kid Icarus, Battalion Wars, Advance Wars, Metroid etc.

You should at this point be looking at a range of different titles across the system. But many of their best franchises are shelved in favour of another 2D platformer which is disappointing. I would have been far more interested in Battalion Wars than Kirby or Metroid than Mario Maker.

However on the other hand, despite there being a lot of 2D games, and despite me preferring other franchises to those shown. Yoshi and Kirby both look amazing. The unique look of both games looks stunning. Yoshi's wool and Kirby's clay are both beautiful and unique and I can't wait to play those games.

What's more, I have had hours of fun out of both NSMBU (the best of the 'NEW' series) and DKCTF which was awesome. What's more NSLU was fantastic and felt like a really fresh and challenging twist.

So whilst it is disappointing to see such a focus on one genre, the games being released are still amazing.

My perspective on this is mixed.

On one hand - 'YES', there is definitely too many 2D games on the Wii U. It's platform central. NSMBU, NSLU, DKCTF, Yoshi's WW, Kirby, Mario Maker and forgive me if I've missed others.

I feel Nintendo should have diversified the output on the Wii U. Where's Star Fox, Wave Race, Stunt Race, F-Zero, Kid Icarus, Battalion Wars, Advance Wars, Metroid etc.

You should at this point be looking at a range of different titles across the system. But many of their best franchises are shelved in favour of another 2D platformer which is disappointing. I would have been far more interested in Battalion Wars than Kirby or Metroid than Mario Maker.

However on the other hand, despite there being a lot of 2D games, and despite me preferring other franchises to those shown. Yoshi and Kirby both look amazing. The unique look of both games looks stunning. Yoshi's wool and Kirby's clay are both beautiful and unique and I can't wait to play those games.

What's more, I have had hours of fun out of both NSMBU (the best of the 'NEW' series) and DKCTF which was awesome. What's more NSLU was fantastic and felt like a really fresh and challenging twist.

So whilst it is disappointing to see such a focus on one genre, the games being released are still amazing.

Be fair. Starfox is out next year :p

Yes, true.

And I'm stoaked to see it.

But like many other fans, I have a mile long list of games I want to see. Games that will make the Wii U have a more complete library. Which would make more people buy the system.

If you just look through the Wii U's lineup so far, you can't but think of what else Nintendo could have done with their resources.

Imagine if they'd scrap NSMBU, Nintendoland and Game & Wario and put all that man power into making one ambitious game that shows the Wii U's graphical capabilities as well as concrete proof of how the gamepad can improve core games? Something with mass appeal, like Mass Effect or Uncharted? Which will leave core gamers drooling because it looks so good.

What if, instead of making Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze, Retro would have made Wave Race or Excitebike or 1080 or Pilotwings or a new IP?

What if Nintendo didn't make ANY 2D platformers for the Wii U and instead create Platformer Maker, where players are given tools to build levels that would fit in to any of their franchises? Amiibo supported, where you get extra building blocks, enemies and characters, PLUS you can upload your levels to your Amiibo and take it with you.

And instead diverted their resources to other projects?

So the Wii U is becoming the new SNES in terms of 2D platformers and this is a BAD thing? :wtf:

I think it's fine just so long as we get those crucial much needed titles as well such as Star Fox, F-Zero and Metroid in some form or another within a year or so. :)

In my mind that means, so there's a new F-Zero in development? Fantastic but lets have the other games on the Virtual Console in the meantime.

We don't know that for sure.

They said it. That's good enough for me.

If we're going to say "Yeah, they said it, but we don't know for sure", then let's have that attitude for all games yet to be released.

Yes, true.

And I'm stoaked to see it.

But like many other fans, I have a mile long list of games I want to see. Games that will make the Wii U have a more complete library. Which would make more people buy the system.

If you just look through the Wii U's lineup so far, you can't but think of what else Nintendo could have done with their resources.

Imagine if they'd scrap NSMBU, Nintendoland and Game & Wario and put all that man power into making one ambitious game that shows the Wii U's graphical capabilities as well as concrete proof of how the gamepad can improve core games? Something with mass appeal, like Mass Effect or Uncharted? Which will leave core gamers drooling because it looks so good.

What if, instead of making Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze, Retro would have made Wave Race or Excitebike or 1080 or Pilotwings or a new IP?

What if Nintendo didn't make ANY 2D platformers for the Wii U and instead create Platformer Maker, where players are given tools to build levels that would fit in to any of their franchises? Amiibo supported, where you get extra building blocks, enemies and characters, PLUS you can upload your levels to your Amiibo and take it with you.

And instead diverted their resources to other projects?

Just saying, New Super Mario Bros does have mass appeal. Despite being on a dead console, its sales are fast approaching Uncharted's standard sales.

They said it. That's good enough for me.
They've said they're planning on completing it within a year from now. No indication of whether that's realistic, or in fact when it will be released, which will be the most appropriate gap in the schedule as we've seen with Pikmin 3, DKCTF and MK8. Edited by Retro_Link

They've said they're planning on completing it within a year from now. No indication of whether that's realistic, or in fact when it will be released, which will be the most appropriate gap in the schedule as we've seen with Pikmin 3, DKCTF and MK8.

That's just splitting hairs, is it not?

That's just splitting hairs, is it not?
Nope, I'd rather wait on a release window at least before thinking it'll be out next year.

Disputing NSLB could also be looked upon as splitting hairs.

I SINCERELY HOPE SO!!!

But what they have said about it terrifies me. The control method is something I won't complain about until I've tried it.

What bothers me is hints of an eShop release and episodic content. Come on, Starfox is a AAA Nintendo masterpiece.

It should be handled as such and given a full budget and full release.

Now say they had released NSLU as episodic DLC, say a world a week, I would have been happy, it is DLC after all. But please don't screw Starfox over like this.

Also, I doubt 2015 as they simply showed what looked like a high resolution version of the N64's first level if I am correct?

I SINCERELY HOPE SO!!!

But what they have said about it terrifies me. The control method is something I won't complain about until I've tried it.

What bothers me is hints of an eShop release and episodic content. Come on, Starfox is a AAA Nintendo masterpiece.

It should be handled as such and given a full budget and full release.

Now say they had released NSLU as episodic DLC, say a world a week, I would have been happy, it is DLC after all. But please don't screw Starfox over like this.

Also, I doubt 2015 as they simply showed what looked like a high resolution version of the N64's first level if I am correct?

I wish it was treated like a AAA masterpiece by consumers, though :/ That's probably why there may be a shift.

I'm enjoying it, I see it as Nintendo returning to their roots after the Gamecube generation where they completely abandoned 2D games. They are filling a niche that is actually not really a niche these days, 2D games are more popular than ever these days, considering the indie revival. Nintendo are utilising their strength, it's not like a Nintendo internal studio to make a game like "Uncharted" or "Mass Effect" and honestly, that's why I am a Nintendo fan. They have finally revealed a third person shooter with a online multiplayer focus and it turns out to be Splatoon. That's Nintendo, they buck all the trends and deliver an experience unlike their competitors. I honestly don't see them changing anytime soon.

I SINCERELY HOPE SO!!!

Star Fox is the last Nintendo game that anyone would describe as "AAA", and i'm the one with a Star Fox avatar. It is easily a second tier Nintendo franchise with little selling power and appeal these days. Unfortunately the days of Arcade rail shooters like Star Fox have faded away, they are as niche as shmups, and I wouldn't call Dondonpachi AAA. The fact is, which I am sure will disappoint plenty of people is that games like DKCR: Tropical Freeze, Mario 3D world, NSMBU and Mario Maker have greater sales potential than say 1080 Snowboarding,Wave Race, F-Zero, Star Fox and their ilk. These games are niche, they have no where near the mainstream appeal of Nintendo's first tier IPs as well as the ones from other companies, such as Uncharted, Mass Effect, Call of Duty etc.

I think it was only the All-Range mode boss section too which was pretty barren to begin with.

They've said they are looking for a development partner to actually make the game and you'd have to fancy Q Games but I'm not sure what they're actually up to and whether they have the man power - I'd wager not. Treasure don't appear to have much on their plate at the moment from what I can see but again, I think this would be a much bigger project for them than their used to.

If the first episode does come out in 2015, I'd be quite surprised.

I think it was only the All-Range mode boss section too which was pretty barren to begin with.
It was indeed. No on rails section on display whatsoever. Purely a tech demo.

I've said before, Treasure should make StarFox the next Ikaruga, combining top down and transitioning into 3D on rails sections and back. :D

Edited by Retro_Link

They've said they are looking for a development partner to actually make the game and you'd have to fancy Q Games but I'm not sure what they're actually up to and whether they have the man power - I'd wager not. Treasure don't appear to have much on their plate at the moment from what I can see but again, I think this would be a much bigger project for them than their used to.

If the first episode does come out in 2015, I'd be quite surprised.

People say that, but that's contrary to what Miyamoto has said. He has said that it is deep in development and will be ready within a year. They wouldn't be saying that if they were looking for someone to develop a game

Sign in to follow this