NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Retro_Link

Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition

Out this week on Wii U!

This game really caught my eye during the E3 Treehouse stream, literally couldn't wait for it to come out so I'm currently playing through the PC version, and it's absolutely awesome! :yay: It's the only thing stopping me from downloading Shovel Knight at the moment.

Anyone who hasn't played it already should seriously consider picking up Super Turbo Championship Edition, hell I'm tempted to and I haven't even finished the original edition yet. :hehe:

Guacamelee is packed with Metroid and Zelda references, and the gameplay is top-notch. Platforming is great, combat is nice and fast (also varied thanks to unlockable special moves) and there's quite a bit of exploration to be done as well. :awesome:

Some of the dimension swapping platforming sections are insanely difficult, but super rewarding once you finally get through 'em. icon14.gif

: peace:

Really excited for this game! Unfortunately I'll have to wait until next week to play the game :(

Really excited for this game! Unfortunately I'll have to wait until next week to play the game :(
Well, at least you got Shovel Knight to keep you going. ;)

This is such a great time for indie games. :bouncy:

Some Guacamelee screens:

SRgXX6t.jpg

:D

I got it free on Plus, haven't got round to it yet, but maybe if a few people in here start playing the Wii U version.

I got it free on Plus, haven't got round to it yet, but maybe if a few people in here start playing the Wii U version.

Yeah, I got the original free on PS+ as well. I have this version free this week when it hits Games for Gold on the Xbox. :D

I had it on PS3, couldn't get past a boss as I really suck at it.

Annoying though, as it's an absolutely fantastic game. Loved it until that moment.

Dem Zelda and Metroid references...

:D

Indeed.

Love that dig at EA too. :laughing:

Yeah, I got the original free on PS+ as well. I have this version free this week when it hits Games for Gold on the Xbox. :D
What did you make of it?

Also... STC Edition for free!? :o Sweet.

I had it on PS3, couldn't get past a boss as I really suck at it.

Annoying though, as it's an absolutely fantastic game. Loved it until that moment.

The game does get pretty brutal, but don't give up muchacho! :bouncy:

Having said that, I'm yet to tackle the final boss, so I might have to join you yet. :hehe:

What did you make of it?

Also... STC Edition for free!? :o Sweet.

Nothing as I never played it. I downloaded it and just left it. I'll probably play the One version though. Probably...

It wasn't the final boss, it was

This fucker

:nono:

guac02.jpg

Just can't suss out his attack patterns.

Nothing as I never played it. I downloaded it and just left it. I'll probably play the One version though. Probably...
Wow.

Trust me, this game is definitely worth checking out. Even more so if you like a challenge, which I believe you do. ;)

It wasn't the final boss, it was

This fucker

:nono:

guac02.jpg

Just can't suss out his attack patterns.

Ah yeah, that guy was a right bastard. :shakehead Took me quite a few goes to beat him.

His attack patterns are pretty random I think, so it's more a case of just trying to keep on top of breaking his colour shields and swapping to the right dimension in time.

Did you purchase the life/stamina upgrades too? They can really help out.

Quick question: how different are the Wii U and PC versions? Considering I don't have a Wii U (and might just have to stick to PC gaming this generation), I'd like to know what each version gets (and substantial version differences are info that's surprisingly difficult to find, these days)

Quick question: how different are the Wii U and PC versions? Considering I don't have a Wii U (and might just have to stick to PC gaming this generation), I'd like to know what each version gets (and substantial version differences are info that's surprisingly difficult to find, these days)
So I believe there are actually 3 versions of Guacamelee. The original PS3/Vita game, the PC/Steam port (Gold Edition) and the one getting released this week on Wii U, PS4 and XBONE.

From the Drinkbox Studios website:

New Features for the Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition Include:

• Expanded Story: An expanded version of the game that includes DLC content from the original
  • New Game Areas: Players will ride boats through the Canal of Flowers to save a besieged fishing town, and avoid lava as they climb through the fiery Volcano
  • New Boss: Face off against The Trio of Death, a three-headed skeleton that lives in the Volcano, helping the evil Carlos Calaca build his skeleton armies
  • New Abilities: Maximize destruction with the powerful new INTENSO combat mode.
  • Plus: Chicken Bombs and Independent Dimension Swapping
  • New Enemies: Lethal new elite-class enemies that want to chokeslam luchadores to sleep
  • Support for multiple save slots
  • Dual currency system that supports permanent item unlocks

One feature which I believe is exclusive to the PC (not entirely sure though) is the ability to play the game with user-created custom costumes. :awesome:

I've done most of my playthrough using this:

VV0jsby.jpg?1

:grin:

That would have been a great feature for the Wii U, but the devs would've needed to add some kind of costume editor (as the custom costumes have to be made using Adobe Flash on PC) and I don't think they have. :hmm:

Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition

So, this is the name I should be looking for when I eventually buy it? I'd be surprised if we don't see a PC version of it at some point, but who knows, I might be back into console gaming by the time I get it :heh:

Thank you :)

Hit the 10 hour mark on my playthrough of Gold Edition last night. Wanted to collect everything and make it to 100% before heading to the final boss, but some of the challenges in El Infierno are way too tough. :shakehead

Looks like I'm gonna have to accept 91% overall completion and try to beat the game.

Some more pics:

6voOl2h.jpg

Mario Bros. luchadores, Mega Man brickwork and ERROR. :hehe:

This game is just packed with awesome. :bowdown:

Hit the 10 hour mark on my playthrough of Gold Edition last night.

Just how much of a Metroid style game is it? I don't really care for the formula and much prefer a more linear experience. I will still download it as it's free but your answer will determine just how soon I play it. :D

Just how much of a Metroid style game is it? I don't really care for the formula and much prefer a more linear experience. I will still download it as it's free but your answer will determine just how soon I play it. :D
The main thing is how you need to collect powers/special moves which can then be used in combat, but also help traverse the game world and allow access to new locations.

There is some backtracking involved if you want to look for items/100% areas, but it's not really a requirement to beat the game. The maps aren't that complex either and the amount of items to collect is much less than your typical Metroid too.

It's just a really well made and fun game to play. :)

This game is awesome. Several times I laughed out loud because of the text and background pictures, and the game itself i good fun. I did have some lagging on Wii U when turning into El Inferno - is that present in other versions as well?

Got this last night on the PS4. Played a bit and really like it.

Wait, this is a Metroidvania!? I thought it was a linear beat'em up!

Damn, now I really want to play it (and then again, I have a few other Metroidvanias in my backlog...)

Yep.

Move this one to the top of that list. ;)

http://store.steampowered.com/app/214770/

Hmm... I know this might not be the "definite" super special awesome HD Turbo Remix With-Enchiladas version, but it might upgrade at some point (as some of my Steam games already have).

Fuck it, I bought it. See what you've done?

£2, very impressive. If only Nintendo did more of the Steam approach too! What's it compare to the Wii U price?

£2, very impressive. If only Nintendo did more of the Steam approach too! What's it compare to the Wii U price?

It's a tenner on Wii U I believe. Out of interest, what's the difference betwen the Gold version on steam and this version?

Sign in to follow this