NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Cookyman

Elite Dangerous

Man this thing is hard to get used to! Controlling the ship is so difficult I don't dare get into any fights!

Three days later, I just made over 5 millions CR which I spent on Eagle MK3 and Cobra MK3. Unlocked an engineer who need bounties to unlock him so he can give you cannon mods. Yet mastered the art of fighting in the space. Might do some bounty hunting in a high resources excavations with KWS. 

So, after about 8 hours Iv kind of gone off this. It's just not grabbing me and the flying is still so hard! Should I stick with it? Does it get... better?

3 hours ago, Esequiel said:

So, after about 8 hours Iv kind of gone off this. It's just not grabbing me and the flying is still so hard! Should I stick with it? Does it get... better?

What are you having trouble with in terms of flying? In supercruise or normal space?

I've only played the PC version but have put in about 100+ hours into it so happy to help with any questions

Edited by Ronnie

13 hours ago, Esequiel said:

Took me about a day to get the flying down. Landing/docking is mega easy now!

I'm still in the original Sidewinder, though I have improved it a lot. I seem to mostly be doing fetch quests and handing in exploration data. I'm wondering how long it'll take to get to other stuff, and also, what other stuff there is. But I'm still enjoying it. 

12 hours ago, Ronnie said:

What are you having trouble with in terms of flying? In supercruise or normal space?

I've only played the PC version but have put in about 100+ hours into it so happy to help with any questions

It just seems annoying trying to get the speed right out of supercruise to get to a station. And in normal flying, landing on a dock, I see people flying straight in and landing and there I am reversing, thrusting around to try and get through the gap then onto an actual pad!

i tried the combat, I got destroyed. I'm in a Cobra, I just can't seem to fight anything!

8 minutes ago, Esequiel said:

It just seems annoying trying to get the speed right out of supercruise to get to a station. And in normal flying, landing on a dock, I see people flying straight in and landing and there I am reversing, thrusting around to try and get through the gap then onto an actual pad!

i tried the combat, I got destroyed. I'm in a Cobra, I just can't seem to fight anything!

I've avoided combat for now. Make sure you've got flight assist on or it'll be even harder! 

26 minutes ago, Esequiel said:

In supercruise, look at your speed indicator on the right hand side of the radar, do you see the highlighted blue section? That's telling you the optimal speed you need to be going at to travel to stations/planets. Keep your speed in the blue and you'll be fine. Then disengage supercruise when it tells you.

As for normal flight, I guess it just takes patience, line up with the entrance using thrusters and take it slow. Double check you've got flight assist on. There is a docking computer you can buy on some of the higher tech systems which dock your ship for you automatically, though I think that only comes into effect when you're inside.

Combat wise give the training missions another go maybe. In the actual game if you do fight something start out picking fights with Sidewinders, they're not going to be particularly strong.

Edited by Ronnie

In supercruise, when you are approaching a planet or station, make sure the time below the distance are around 0.07 seconds so it will reduce your speed automatically to highlighted Blue light. Best advice I got from the other players.

14 hours ago, Esequiel said:

And in normal flying, landing on a dock, I see people flying straight in and landing and there I am reversing, thrusting around to try and get through the gap then onto an actual pad!

Buy a docking computer.

attachment.php?attachmentid=14180&d=1423

If anyone wants to see an Elite Dangerous Flight Assist Off-PRO, I urge you to check out Isinona on Youtube. God damn, he's got some incredible skills. Too bad he stopped making videos some time ago. Now it's mostly a random video every now and then.

Just look at this. Smuggler docking in silent running at over 300 km/h. Insane.

• Like 3

I've bought this digitally as I figured that @Eenuh may want to play it, too. Looking forward to giving it a go, even though I know very little about it.

Going to build up a science-fiction-inspired playlist on Spotify to have on whilst I play this!

• Like 2

Never fill your cargo full otherwise you will attracts alot of bandits trying to intercept you. Got three NPCS tried to stop me straightaway in a row! 

Found a great part of the galaxy where I can making over a million CR per a hour with just three systems. Gonna stay there for a week or so until I can buy a Python with 6A FSD. 

I'm doing the second training mission and I have to say that I'm starting to loathe this game already. Say what you want about No Man's Sky, but at least it made the tedious things about space a non-issue. I'm trying to dock in the station in the second training mission and the combination of the tedious task plus poor controls means that it is a chore. I actually timed out of my docking request and had to request it again because it was taking so long.

They certainly didn't advertise this in the trailer. A very poor first impression.

Edit: Just done it. Wow. Not impressed so far at all. Hope the game starts to become interesting at some point.

2 hours ago, Fierce_LiNk said:

I'm doing the second training mission and I have to say that I'm starting to loathe this game already. Say what you want about No Man's Sky, but at least it made the tedious things about space a non-issue. I'm trying to dock in the station in the second training mission and the combination of the tedious task plus poor controls means that it is a chore. I actually timed out of my docking request and had to request it again because it was taking so long.

They certainly didn't advertise this in the trailer. A very poor first impression.

Edit: Just done it. Wow. Not impressed so far at all. Hope the game starts to become interesting at some point.

There's a very steep learning curve, Took me about a day to get used to it. It does get more fun! But No Man's Sky is definitely more accessible. And about to launch a huge update.

11 minutes ago, somme said:

There's a very steep learning curve, Took me about a day to get used to it. It does get more fun! But No Man's Sky is definitely more accessible. And about to launch a huge update.

It's bordering on nonsensical. I've got a mission where I need to find two units of Hydrogen Peroxide. I've got no information about where to find it or how I need to go about getting it. I assume I mine it from asteroids?

The tutorials were absolute garbage. Seen very similar complaints off others online. The game is just needlessly complicated to the point of convolution. It's been a long time since a game has managed to disappoint me so greatly so early on.

You can use this Site to help you find which system got the stuffs you want to get for the missions. 

You know what? Fuck this game. I just got a 500cr fine for apparently blocking a landing pad trying to land at a research lab. I've spent hours on this today trying to get into it and it's rubbing me up the wrong way. Awful tutorials to start with and just...so overly complicated for no real reason. It should not be this tiresome and require this much effort to land on a fucking pad.

I may give it a go tomorrow, or I may not.

On 19/07/2017 at 10:29 PM, Fierce_LiNk said:

You know what? Fuck this game. I just got a 500cr fine for apparently blocking a landing pad trying to land at a research lab. I've spent hours on this today trying to get into it and it's rubbing me up the wrong way. Awful tutorials to start with and just...so overly complicated for no real reason. It should not be this tiresome and require this much effort to land on a fucking pad.

I may give it a go tomorrow, or I may not.

If you expect this game to hold your hand for every little thing then you picked the wrong game. It's supposed to be challenging, and unlike 90% of big games these days doesn't hold your hand. There's no dotted line leading you straight to your quest goal like in Witcher and the like. It's a simulator type experience, if you expected a simple, shallow arcadey style shooter or a NMS-like game then you might want to try getting your money back.

It shouldn't take ten minutes to dock into a station, there's a steep learning curve but after a few days of getting better you fly in, dock. Easy.

500 credits is nothing, there are rules in place. If you don't want a fine, don't look to land in a docking space that isn't yours.

Edited by Ronnie
  • Like 2

Has anyone here got any helpful advice to get started with this? I've played for the last hour and didn't achieve anything. Not finding it enjoyable at all. 

You could do like me, if you want to get some quick cash :).

Travel to a mining zone around a ring planet (go to a hazardous zone in the rings) and just cruise around, scanning ships and chilling until a fight starts. If the feds are fighting, and it looks like they're gonna win, just hit the pirate/wanted ship a few times (scan it to see if the ship's wanted or not). You'll get your share of the bounty (I've gotten up to 500.000 credits from some ships) and it'll help you start your own adventure.

But hey, this game is what you let it be. I don't have the time to play it, but I love hopping into it from time to time. Planetary landings are awesome! :D

A friend of mine plays it none-stop. It's ridiculous how sucked in you can get.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ArtMediocre said:

You could do like me, if you want to get some quick cash :).

Travel to a mining zone around a ring planet (go to a hazardous zone in the rings) and just cruise around, scanning ships and chilling until a fight starts. If the feds are fighting, and it looks like they're gonna win, just hit the pirate/wanted ship a few times (scan it to see if the ship's wanted or not). You'll get your share of the bounty (I've gotten up to 500.000 credits from some ships) and it'll help you start your own adventure.

But hey, this game is what you let it be. I don't have the time to play it, but I love hopping into it from time to time. Planetary landings are awesome! :D

A friend of mine plays it none-stop. It's ridiculous how sucked in you can get.

Traveling through 1:1 scale systems gives an incredible sense of scale, I love it. Bounty hunting in a planet's rings is great fun like you say. Funny how modern hand-holding games with lots of check boxes have ruined more open ended, challenging ones. Some nights I don't "accomplish" much of anything but I have a blast nevertheless.

3 hours ago, Fierce_LiNk said:

Has anyone here got any helpful advice to get started with this? I've played for the last hour and didn't achieve anything. Not finding it enjoyable at all. 

Watch this guy's vids..

Oh and as I've repeatedly said on here, buy a docking computer asap it will make your life so much easier!

54082393.jpg

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this