NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Cookyman

Elite Dangerous

When I see clips of it it certainly doesn't excite in the same way, a feeling that feels reverberated in the media. NMS has the hype spotlight for sure.

The media have given this game an 80 on metacritic, back when it was pretty barebones, now that there's a lot more content than at launch 8 months ago, it should be even higher. The realism and depth this game has is astounding.

Deep space exploration game Elite Dangerous, already available on PC and Xbox One, will finally touch down on PlayStation 4 in Q2 2017, developer Frontier Games has announced.

This new PS4 version will include touchpad controls to allow you to easily swipe through your Milky Way navigation and customise four "hotkeys" via the touchpad to quickly access features which tie into your play style.

Motion controls using the DualShock 4's gyros will also be implemented to let you "fast headlook" around in the middle of combat.

Eurogamer.net

The realism and depth this game has is astounding.

How accessible would you say it was?

Woot. A proper space sim that we can play offline/online. Sony need to make their own HOTAS for Ace Combat 7 and this game.

How accessible would you say it was?

Don't expect it to play like NMS or an arcadey shooter. It's basically a space simulator, and will take you a bit of time to fully get the hang of it. There are missions but they're generated ones like fetch quests or "go to this system, find this guy and kill him", or community based ones where everyone pitches in to get an objective completed. There's mining, a stock market to trade on, faction based gameplay (not touched this part of it) and plenty of bounty hunting (in and around the asteroids of a ringed gas giant is my preferred locale for that sort of thing). The game tries to be as realistic as possible with a strong scientific foundation, so that means actual distances within systems. Traveling between places can be a bit boring, it's whether you have the interest or patience. It can be quite awe inspiring to fly around a system though, really makes you appreciate the incredible scale of the universe. All in all it's a great game, but don't expect a campaign or anything like that, it's similar to NMS's 'do what you want' style, whilst being very different in terms of actual gameplay.

Edited by Ronnie

Don't expect it to play like NMS or an arcadey shooter. It's basically a space simulator, and will take you a bit of time to fully get the hang of it. There are missions but they're generated ones like fetch quests or "go to this system, find this guy and kill him", or community based ones where everyone pitches in to get an objective completed. There's mining, a stock market to trade on, faction based gameplay (not touched this part of it) and plenty of bounty hunting (in and around the asteroids of a ringed gas giant is my preferred locale for that sort of thing). The game tries to be as realistic as possible with a strong scientific foundation, so that means actual distances within systems. Traveling between places can be a bit boring, it's whether you have the interest or patience. It can be quite awe inspiring to fly around a system though, really makes you appreciate the incredible scale of the universe. All in all it's a great game, but don't expect a campaign or anything like that, it's similar to NMS's 'do what you want' style, whilst being very different in terms of actual gameplay.

Yeah that's a pretty good summary, although I'd say that there's plenty of depth to keep pulling out of it, unlike NMS. For instance, you're likely to start earning money mostly by combat based missions which are fun but you'll start to want for something a bit more substantial.

So you might look into exploration and mapping and there's a whole different ship layout for that kind of thing.

Or you might want to have a look into the faction gameplay where what you do starts to shift the balance of power in the galaxy. There loads of local small factions that you can tinker with to and there's lots of benefits/cons.

And if you break into enemy space and assassinate someone, I can guarantee you that space travel gets interesting quickly. If you have any real value in cargo on you or you have a bounty on you, you get pulled out of space travel by people with tractor beams (called interdiction) and you're kind of forced to fight. Can get pretty hairy!

So, this is coming to PS4 at the end of June. Will most likely get it. Finally!

If this comes to PS4 then I'm all in! : peace:

I said that in August of 2014! :indeed:

Well if it really is finally coming out then... : peace:

I need to get my HOTAS out and try to get into Elite Dangerous again at some point.

I said that in August of 2014! :indeed:

Well if it really is finally coming out then... : peace:

It's been updated so much since the initial release now is the best time to jump into it. Fantastic game, deserves far more mainstream recognition

Downloading this ahead of tonights PS4 launch! Excited to finally get to try it out.

• Like 2

As am NMS fan I personally feel both it and Elite sit quite nicely next to each other. Obviously, Elite is the more hardcore sim but sometimes I don't want to wait ten minutes before reaching my destination.

I've only been playing Elite for a few days (bought it for PS4), but I can imagine I'll sink just as much time into it as I have NMS (several hundred hours). 

As a space lover in general, it doesn't have to be either or. 

I've noticed a few issues on the PS4Pro, but nothing game breaking. There have been a few times I've come out of supercruise and nothing has happened, but I was guessing that was more down to my awful Internet connection than anything else. 

Away for a wedding this weekend so can't play until Monday, it's gonna be a long weekend...

Just a quick repost of something I wrote on Gaf. ^

It's taken me two days to get to grips with it. I'm still in my first ship, the sidewinder. I bought a hauler but then I found out mining was really arduous in this game, at least in the beginning. Gonna start exploring on my next go. Gotta get my name on those <discovered by> labels! :D

• Like 2

Personally I couldn't even keep No Man's Sky in my collection after it had been such a letdown but I appreciate that there is room for it as a space themed exploration title with less emphasis on realism. :)

However this means that I potentially have more time for Elite so I will be investing time in it at some point soon, I'm not expecting it to be something I'll play all the time but I can definitely see myself exploring a bit of space when I don't want to play anything else. :D

That's not to say that I view Elite as being "not good enough to play" far from it, just that I know I probably won't devote solid weeks on end to it, unless it really surprises me of course. I'm excited to play it either way. :peace:

So I caved in and ordering the game. Should be here tomorrow but I probably will play it on Sunday.

• Like 1

Ive been playing this a lot, especially yesterday and the game has a special place in my heart having played Elite on the Commodore 64 as a teen and on the Amiga whilst in the Army.  It's a very deep game and there is a lot to take in initially, however if you do the tutorials and maybe check out some you tube videos, I recommend Obsidian Ant - I posted one earlier.

I purchased a Cobra Mark  3 yesterday and upgraded the cargo containers so can now carry 36 tonnes at a time.  

attachment.php?attachmentid=14101&d=1423

They weren't kidding about how hard it's to land on the docking bay. Took me about 4-5 mins to landing the ship with default control in tutorial mode. Gonna revamp the control set-up tomorrow and keep practice the docking process until I'm confident enough to start the game. 

I kept noticed that everyone saying remap the landing gear away from O button otherwise you might press it and starting to boost instead. 😂 

16 hours ago, DriftKaiser said:

They weren't kidding about how hard it's to land on the docking bay. Took me about 4-5 mins to landing the ship with default control in tutorial mode. Gonna revamp the control set-up tomorrow and keep practice the docking process until I'm confident enough to start the game. 

Get a docking computer for 4500 credits - will make your time a lot easier.

I dont remember having much trouble docking in the PC version. Is it the controls or has docking changed? (hopefully someone has played both versions)

Got improved with the docking process. All you need to do is approach the zone at 10% speed and use alternative control to navigate the ship toward it. 

I went on an easy mining mission and came back with a 60K reward for killing a wanted ship. I noticed a huge explosion in the distance. I checked it out when the security guys arrived to stop the criminal so I lend them my assistance. 😂 Not bad for a rookie on his first day in the space.

Edited by DriftKaiser
  • Like 1

There's a fair bit going on in the PC build at the moment. The alien invasion is about to be added in the next update 2.4 and there's a ton of clues and spooky goings on in the game these past few months with regard to their return in the galaxy. Just infiltrated one of the handful of alien outposts, very very cool.

Elite Dangerous 1.03 update for PS4 available, patch notes revealed

Check out what's new following the Elite Dangerous 1.03 update which is now available to download on PlayStation 4. PS4 Pro owners should be happy.

elite dangerous 1.03 patch notes

The Elite Dangerous 1.03 update is now available to download on PS4.

It’s a small patch at 83.89MB for the space-flight MMO simulator which fixes the tearing issue on PS4 Pro.

The update history on PS4 points players to the official website, and despite there being no dedicated Elite Dangerous patch notes thread due to the relatively small fix, the Frontier Developments community manager took to the forums to explain:

“The only change that was made in this hotfix was the v-sync improvements to fix the screen-tearing issue that some players were experiencing. As this was already discussed and posted about in the top of the, we didn't think a separate change log was necessary.”

•  

Edited by Cookyman

Sign in to follow this