NEurope
lostmario

Kirby and the Rainbow Curse

I'd say "another Kirby game?, Really?". Buuut I can't stay mad at it.

YEESSSS.

A follow up to one of my favourite early DS experiences that made me fall in love with that console!

Kirby_Canvas_Curse_Game_Cover.jpg

As much as I think Nintendo are rinsing Kirby a bit at the minute, I am massively pleased about this one!

And finally, a game that couldn't really exist without the game pad!

Hooray!

The graphics are some of the best I've ever seen on the current gen! Whispy Woods looks incredible!

From someone who's only played Triple Deluxe, I take it this Kirby controls differently, ie, no sucking up powers?

This, for me was the low-point of this years presentation.

The Wii U already has an abundance of side scrollers and is lacking terribly in other genres. They should've left this on the drawing board and made Waverace or F-Zero instead.

They should've left this on the drawing board and made Waverace or F-Zero instead.

Why, is the team involved in this game known for racing games?

This, for me was the low-point of this years presentation.

The Wii U already has an abundance of side scrollers and is lacking terribly in other genres. They should've left this on the drawing board and made Waverace or F-Zero instead.

You realise dev teams don't work like that, right? The developer, HAL Laboratory, has nothing to do with F-Zero or Wave Race and have never made any racing game aside from Kirby Air Ride.

My initial reaction was "Not another platformer", but even I can't stand the kirby charm haha. The game looks super rad!

Not to dismiss anyones reactions or anything but this game isn't really an out and out 'platformer'.

Whilst it looks like it from the videos / 2d background with the goal of moving from left to right, it's the way you control Kirby that kinda shakes the platform genre out of it.

I found Canvas Curse / Power Paintbrush to be a breath of fresh air, and a really neat way of showing off the DS' second screen back in the day, so this is a natural fit for the Wii U's game pad.

It's criminal we haven't had this game sooner really!

KL9gnXM.png

I really thought this was going to be a new WarioWare D.I.Y. when that image appeared. :bouncy:

But obviously not... :(

Sure this will be great though.

Huh? Do people even know what Cursed Canvas is, it isn't a platformed at all really, well it is, but very different, I'm really excited for this as a little eshop game! Loved Cursed Canvas, really imaginative gameplay!!

Huh? Do people even know what Cursed Canvas is, it isn't a platformed at all really, well it is, but very different,
Well if they didn't, your description certainly helped clear things up :p

Lol at all these people calling it a "platformer"

Canvas Curse stands out from other Kirby games with the way you control Kirby.

Well, I say control, but all you can really do is prod him to get him to attack and use copy abilities. It's manipulating him with drawing lines that makes it stand out.

I love Canvas Curse, so I'm all for this!

Well if they didn't, your description certainly helped clear things up :p

Haha, I'm here to clear up any confusions...

Fffdddfffahshshdj. Just seen the Treehouse EPIC on this. Holy shiz. Nick Park must be jealous - Nintendo have DOMINATED the claymation art style with this game. Even the stop motion animation on the plants was perfect.

With this and Yoshi they are using shaders in a beautiful, organic way. NintendoHD is wonderful. 2015 suddenly got even further away!

Genuine doubt... why isn't this coming out for the 3DS instead? Seems pointless to release it on the WiiU!

Not to dismiss anyones reactions or anything but this game isn't really an out and out 'platformer'.

Whilst it looks like it from the videos / 2d background with the goal of moving from left to right, it's the way you control Kirby that kinda shakes the platform genre out of it.

I found Canvas Curse / Power Paintbrush to be a breath of fresh air, and a really neat way of showing off the DS' second screen back in the day, so this is a natural fit for the Wii U's game pad.

It's criminal we haven't had this game sooner really!

My concern was just the fact it's been done before with CC/PP - what if anything is different about this game at the core compared to that? I love Kirby, and I don't want them to start rinsing him out with similar game after similar game. The only aspect in which I'll allow that is his original side-scrolling 2D platforming nature, though even there I feel they add nice variety to each with the copy abilities and some of the content. I've yet to played triple deluxe, though it looked a lot to me like NiD just on the 3DS instead.

I have said elsewhere though - one thing I'll allow for this is that many people won't have played CC/PP(I didn't own it, though I played a little) and so it's kinda good in getting a fresh and unique experience to more people, but I just really don't want to see it become too much of a habit.

Genuine doubt... why isn't this coming out for the 3DS instead? Seems pointless to release it on the WiiU!

Isn't the Wii U just a 3DS in your living room ;)? I imagine it's to give the Wii U some content, and possibly that CC/PP was on DS before.

KL9gnXM.png

I really thought this was going to be a new WarioWare D.I.Y. when that image appeared. :bouncy:

But obviously not... :(

Sure this will be great though.

I thought when I saw that, that my next birthday cake should look like that. :D

My concern was just the fact it's been done before with CC/PP - what if anything is different about this game at the core compared to that? I love Kirby, and I don't want them to start rinsing him out with similar game after similar game. The only aspect in which I'll allow that is his original side-scrolling 2D platforming nature, though even there I feel they add nice variety to each with the copy abilities and some of the content. I've yet to played triple deluxe, though it looked a lot to me like NiD just on the 3DS instead.

I have said elsewhere though - one thing I'll allow for this is that many people won't have played CC/PP(I didn't own it, though I played a little) and so it's kinda good in getting a fresh and unique experience to more people, but I just really don't want to see it become too much of a habit.

Yeah I hear ya man.

Although with it being, what? 8 years or so since PP / CC, I think this is the perfect time to give us a follow up / sequel to a game that was very warmly recieved way back when.

And it's the perfect console to do it on too. Aside from the 3DS, there is no other hardware that could provide this type of game play experience so I'm all for it.

I don't mind the fact they're using Kirby a lot at the minute either.

I mean, the one criticism I and a lot of others have is that Mario is used a lot, but only because we've had a lot of samey NSMB games that haven't gone off the beaten track for a number of years. Whereas we've had a good number of Kirby games in the last 5+ years and they've all been different to the last in some way shape or form. Whether it be grapical style (Epic Yarn), control method (this, PP/CC), type of power up which changes game play (Triple Deluxe) etc, they've all been very different both in terms of face value and game play.

So this is definitely welcome for me. More than anything I'm excited that we're finally getting a game that uses the game pad alone, as these are the experiences we should have had from Nintendo from day 1.

Ok, first time I've properly watched the gameplay of this and it looks fantastic! :)

The art style is fantastic and it actually looks quite challenging, and that you'll want to replay the levels to perfect your scores.

Gives me a bit of a Kuru Kuru Kururin feel as well.

In the tank level why didn't she just drive backwards and pick up that star she was flapping around with? Maybe she was stuck on a rainbow rail.

Yeah I hear ya man.

Although with it being, what? 8 years or so since PP / CC, I think this is the perfect time to give us a follow up / sequel to a game that was very warmly recieved way back when.

And it's the perfect console to do it on too. Aside from the 3DS, there is no other hardware that could provide this type of game play experience so I'm all for it.

I don't mind the fact they're using Kirby a lot at the minute either.

I mean, the one criticism I and a lot of others have is that Mario is used a lot, but only because we've had a lot of samey NSMB games that haven't gone off the beaten track for a number of years. Whereas we've had a good number of Kirby games in the last 5+ years and they've all been different to the last in some way shape or form. Whether it be grapical style (Epic Yarn), control method (this, PP/CC), type of power up which changes game play (Triple Deluxe) etc, they've all been very different both in terms of face value and game play.

So this is definitely welcome for me. More than anything I'm excited that we're finally getting a game that uses the game pad alone, as these are the experiences we should have had from Nintendo from day 1.

That's why I have liked Kirby admittedly - the variety is astounding. It's amusing, because his very nature is being a jack of all trades and his games adapt with it. Must say I found Epic Yarn very disappointing from a Kirby PoV though, and wished they'd stuck with it being the original IP it was. Putting Kirby in a 2D platformer without copy abilities or even inhalation is such a crime against the little fella's legacy. It was a good game, but I was heavily stung by its shameless Kirbying - the start of something I feared, and with this CC/PP followup it just worries me.

I can't deny however that it's still unique nonetheless, and that I think it's good to have, I'm just very very attached to Kirby, and I don't want to see him reduced to what Mario has sort of become. I'd wonder if it happens, what would go through Sakurai's mind.

That's why I have liked Kirby admittedly - the variety is astounding. It's amusing, because his very nature is being a jack of all trades and his games adapt with it. Must say I found Epic Yarn very disappointing from a Kirby PoV though, and wished they'd stuck with it being the original IP it was. Putting Kirby in a 2D platformer without copy abilities or even inhalation is such a crime against the little fella's legacy. It was a good game, but I was heavily stung by its shameless Kirbying - the start of something I feared, and with this CC/PP followup it just worries me.

I can't deny however that it's still unique nonetheless, and that I think it's good to have, I'm just very very attached to Kirby, and I don't want to see him reduced to what Mario has sort of become. I'd wonder if it happens, what would go through Sakurai's mind.

Yeah couldn't agree more.

Particualrly re Epic Yarn.

I liked that game, but I didn't love it. It just moved along at quite a slow pace and didn't really do much different, though it was filled with charm which was its only saving grace in my eyes.

But yeah, lets see where Kirby goes after this game. Hopefully we wont see much more of him for a year or two! (I mean that in the nicest possible way! :) )

Damn, this looks nice. Great visuals on this and Yoshi.

Kirby and the Rainbow Curse Gameplay Demo – IGN Live: Gamescom 2014