NEurope
Retro_Link

Splatoon

For an online multiplayer game, I'd complain at 40 hours game-time...
That's 40 at the moment though. Chances of that being H-o-T's final playtime on Splatoon is somewhere between slim and none. ;)

They'll keep releasing cool new stuff, and he'll be back, every time... I guarantee. :heh:

I'm closing in on 60 hours after tonight's session, still discovering things in both single and multiplayer. :awesome:

Splatoon will easily be a 100-200+ hour game for me.

Dis game is off the chain. :)

Just got this game today.

Seems like they rebalanced the game after the demo weekends. The roller isn't as ridiculously overpowered anymore.

Easily the summeriest game I've stumbled across in a very long time. Really addictive. And the game has a hub-world!

Two complaints though: This game REALLY needs more music! While the music that exists is great, it does get repetitive after a while. And the dialogue screens. Why can't there be a description when I highlight a new gun, instead of a LOOOONG dialogue with the shopkeeper once I unlock it?

I hate that the shop keepers are so chatty. Not really the chattiness, but the repetitiveness of what they say. Just like the news channel when it tells you what maps are for which mode. I wish there was an option to switch them off!

Seems like they rebalanced the game after the demo weekends. The roller isn't as ridiculously overpowered anymore.

I don't think so - people just learnt how to combat them. They're just the easiest thing to get to grips with.

That's 40 at the moment though. Chances of that being H-o-T's final playtime on Splatoon is somewhere between slim and none. ;)

They'll keep releasing cool new stuff, and he'll be back, every time... I guarantee. :heh:

I'm now gonna sell it and never play it again, just to prove you wrong! :heh:

Splat zones is INTENSE. Love it.

What I don't love is how they match me (level 10) with level 20 players. Then they put two level 20's and a 16 on one team, and then a 10, 8, and 5 on the other. How is that fair?

Same with Splat Zones. Two C+'s on one team, two C-'s on the other.

I've found that theres not that much difference in the skill levels, just the people at level 20 must have been grinding to get there. When you get into splat zones there are loads of useless level 20s at c-.

I got loads of wins from camping a splat zone in the skate park and they just gift you kill after kill. You'd think they'd learn.

That tactic was short lived against b ranks.

I hope we get to play splat zones with friends soon. Its much more tense. I played a game yesterday where they gave extra time, then eventually when the counted down the final 10 seconds, it popped up you have lost the lead (as i was painting the zone). I think the final score was 64:63 and both teams got a couple hundred points each, however we lost the ranking points.

How do they decided whether theres extra time? If they'd stopped the match on the original counter we'd have won. It cant be based on closeness or they would have extended the match again?

I hope they keep adding to this game for the next couple of years and use the multiplayer as a platform to build on. Then release Splatoon 2 that's mostly just about a big single player campaign. If the IP takes off they'll need named characters and that'd be a good time to introduce them.

Do you genuinely expect that level of support? Especially with no extra income streams? After August I expect they'll stop updating/supporting this by this the end of the financial year if not even sooner.

I think it's not that Nintendo haven't finished a load of stuff, but because they have an insane release plan for it. There are two more finished multiplayer maps in the single-player (even the Miiverse stuff works in them).

They seem to be treating casual players as idiots, giving them time to get used to different aspects of the game. The two maps per rotation and delaying ranked battles seem to be a cause of this plan, as well as holding back finished maps before adding them into rotation later.

I'm curious if this will even need an update. It seems like something they can easily do server-side.

Very much feeling a bit like this about the game, and finding it slightly annoying. I'm gonna have a quick few matches in a sec, but I wish there could be more variety compared to the 4 hour window and 2 game modes.

Am I still the only one that dislikes Splat Zones, then? :p

I mean, it's not bad, but Turf Wars is a lot more fun. I think the penalty timer is the worst aspect of it, though.

I mean, it's not bad, but Turf Wars is a lot more fun. I think the penalty timer is the worst aspect of it, though.

I find Turf Wars more fun, also

The penalty time is what makes it, it may be a touch too strong but it's a good idea otherwise games would end so quickly!

I think the mode is absolutely incredible and if I could play it with friends then I'd probably prefer it. Maybe. They're both brilliant!

I hate that the shop keepers are so chatty. Not really the chattiness, but the repetitiveness of what they say. Just like the news channel when it tells you what maps are for which mode. I wish there was an option to switch them off!

I was kinda feeling this this morning - the stage announcements every time you fire up is kinda annoying - you're gonna find out when you go to the lobby any way.

Speaking of this morning - got to where I can definitely see the issue of spawnkilling - got absolutely locked down in our base on two matches with no way to squid out or teammates to jump to, absolute pain in the arse.

I'm still trying to work my way up to 10 so I can play them! Currently sitting at a 6 or 7 iirc. How do people tend to go about their purchasing/levelling of gear etc? Do you buy it all or just the ones with the perks you like or the look you like? I feel like getting a few bits of everything to level them up whilst playing for a variety of perks, but not too bothered about my look(everything does generally look pretty good on me though).

(everything does generally look pretty good on me though).

Yeah, I think you're the most stylish Pimpguin I've ever seen!

It's weird, I can't think of any other thread I've read where people feel the need to keep saying how many hours they've spent with the game and how much they are still enjoying it. Justifying that shit.

It's weird, I can't think of any other thread I've read where people feel the need to keep saying how many hours they've spent with the game and how much they are still enjoying it. Justifying that shit.

Oh good, it's not just me.

Is there some kind of competition going for who can enjoy Splatoon the longest or something?

Oh good, it's not just me.

Is there some kind of competition going for who can enjoy Splatoon the longest or something?

I got asked to check how long I had put into the game before I got sick of it, hence me posting the amount of hours I had played.

To me it's like reading "Nintendo did something good, EVERYBODY NEEDS TO KNOW".

I got asked to check how long I had put into the game before I got sick of it, hence me posting the amount of hours I had played.

Yeah, but shortly after, more than a few people started posting comments along the lines of "I've played X hours and I'm still enjoying it"

EDIT: Actually, I did it as well. Albeit, without the "I'm still enjoying it" part. What the hell!? I don't even remember posting that...

It's just really odd for this site, because almost no-one really talks about how much time they put into a game. (At least, not to my knowledge...)

And I can't think of any other thread where people that have no intention of getting the game in question keep coming back to remind everyone that is enjoying it of their disappointment, but there you go. :heh:

To me it's like reading "Nintendo did something good, EVERYBODY NEEDS TO KNOW".
Would you rather not know? :hehe:

I think the thing with splatoon is the way they are unlocking the content which means that you finish the initial offering quite quickly.

If the content was unlocked by individuals as they reach a certain stage (for example level 10 for ranked battles) it wouldn't stand out quite so much, but this rationing of the game content perhaps brings a focus to how much content do we actually have to this point. I would say probably quite enough for most.

I think some of you are over-reacting a bit. People are just pleased they've got a lot of time so far out of a game which has been criticised for a lack of content. What's wrong with people saying how much they're enjoying a game in that game's thread, especially when people who don't have the game are criticising it for the lack of content and online options? All the discussions have felt pretty balanced in here, to be honest, and I can't think of one person who has the game and has posted in this thread that hasn't had any criticisms of Splatoon, but generally, they're also having a lot of fun! Let people be happy! :D

"Nintendo fans on Nintendo based forum in expressing love for new game" shocker... :p

What a barmy thing to post, so much positivity for this game, loads of us genuinely enjoying ourself and wanting to express how much fun we are having in the correct thread for it...then we get called out for trying to justify ourselves?

Not cool, man :(

All the discussions have felt pretty balanced in here, to be honest, and I can't think of one person who has the game and has posted in this thread that hasn't had any criticisms of Splatoon, but generally, they're also having a lot of fun! Let people be happy! :D

Blackadder-Confused-Look.gif

Huh...

Am I invisible? Seriously. I think I might be. Because I don't like this game at all.