NEurope
Retro_Link

Splatoon

Amazing fun, loved every second of it. My only issue is how completely unresponsive warping to a team-mate's location is. I keep tapping but nothing happens and when it does warp me there was no visual cue that it'd accepted my input. Frustrating but other than that, it's gold!

I'm not very good at using the GamePad screen while playing this though, the pace of the game makes looking down to check the map/super jump pretty tricky. :hmm: Hopefully something that will get easier with more practice though.

But yeah, this game is fantastic and I just cannot wait for May 29th! :)

I checked the GamePad when I died to see where my paiting expertise was needed.

I'm really looking forward to master the sniper-like weapons.

In a game where chaos seems to reign, my team will need a level-headed Deadshot in the back to save their painting asses.

Amazing fun, loved every second of it. My only issue is how completely unresponsive warping to a team-mate's location is. I keep tapping but nothing happens and when it does warp me there was no visual cue that it'd accepted my input. Frustrating but other than that, it's gold!

It takes a few seconds. It's not instant else it'd be broken as hell

The warping is one of my fav features of the game. It's great to get back to the fight with the touch of a button. It also comes in handy if your opponents are spawn watching.

Yeah, liked the warping a lot. Makes up for not having multiple spawn points. Takes no time to get back into the battle. If you had to make your way from your base every time you got splatted it would be extremely tedious,.

It also lets you get out of a fight if you're cornered.

If I didn't have a £22 pre-order, I'd be tempted to cancel... I am tempted to anyway and wait til August when it's a bit more fleshed out.

I'd be tempted to offer you the money to send that order my way if you did end up wanting to cancel : peace:

Having said that, I wasn't exactly won over by the game today and would really need to see how fleshed out the single player game is before feeling like I'm ready to commit to it..

I'd be tempted to offer you the money to send that order my way if you did end up wanting to cancel : peace:

Having said that, I wasn't exactly won over by the game today and would really need to see how fleshed out the single player game is before feeling like I'm ready to commit to it..

Heh, thanks for the offer, but I probably will keep it as it isn't a lot of money in the grand scheme of things... just wasn't 100% convinced today! If it was a £40 game I'd be more likely to wait and see how it turns out.

It just made me open my eyes a bit more to why some of those who are really into their online shooters are a bit disappointed with it.

Just so you know, it is only £24.95 on The Game Collection, I got it there with a £2 off code that came up, so wait and see if another one of those comes up, or just stick a pre-order down at that price, because £25 isn't really too much!

Splatoon demo offers unique outfit if you preorder the game…but you can only wear it in the demo

p6idczc5kud1jvenmtbo.png

Okay, now that’s pretty bad. You get an offer to preorder the full game and it earns you special gear. The thing is, that gear is only available to wear in the Global Testfire. In other words, you’ll only get to see that gear this weekend. Certainly would be nice if it transferred over to the full game!

http://gonintendo.com/?p=60

Bizarre, stingy and makes no sense. Not exactly a reward.

Just so you know, it is only £24.95 on The Game Collection, I got it there with a £2 off code that came up, so wait and see if another one of those comes up, or just stick a pre-order down at that price, because £25 isn't really too much!

Thanks.. I honestly didn't realise it was still as cheap as that to order. I'm definitely waiting, though, as I was already feeling like I'd seen enough of it today by 12.30 :indeed:

But the game has lots more than the demo... You wouldn't judge a demo in mario for getting bored after playing the one level or whatever... I find it weird how people are judging it based on 4 weapon, 2 levels, no friends play and one match mode...

Anyways, has me more hyped for it and I really really can't wait. Creating teams in august will take to a new level and hopefully they WILL add voice chat in the summer update as rumoured! It needs it, the times I was screaming at my gimpy team mates :)

@Mr\-Paul you can join friends in the main game, just not this.

I also don't think there are balancing issues, just in the team make up, good to have some rollers and splattersots. Also never noticed spawn killers either.

It is random, and quick, but it's pretty amazing. I just see this as a taster for the main game when you can play with friends, have more maps and weapons and game modes etc. this is a taster not a judgement on the whole game.

in the first session I had campers putting mines just outside the spawn point, had to jump to where my team mates where as trying to leave the main camp was suicide. We did manage to win that match though because it was generally 4 vs 1 (with the camper trying to kill us at the main camp). Having said that if they had managed to kill us all of THEN camp... we'd have been in trouble I think.

I hope at least they let you keep on playing that mini game... or go in the practice zone once the stress test is finished... even if they limit it to 1 hour a day or w/e

on the spawn point, look at it on the map.. there is a timer which needs to fill, once it is full it will accept your input, and once it has accepted your input I found there was a visual cue to indicate that

My best result from this afternoon's Turf War session:

HsC5NIY.jpg

Zero Splats! :awesome: That'll definitely be a rarity in the future. :grin:

I'm really looking forward to master the sniper-like weapons.

In a game where chaos seems to reign, my team will need a level-headed Deadshot in the back to save their painting asses.

I only played 1 game with the Splat Charger, didn't do too well with it. Got a couple of cool moments out of it though, like taking someone out in mid-air:

And a double splatting!: :heh:

Likwise, I couldn't really get on with the roller (only used that for 1 game too) but it also provided great entertainment: :hehe:

Although I find it even funnier being on the receiving end of a surprise splat with the roller.

Here I am just minding my own business, trying to reclaim some turf, and then...

So funny. :D

I tell you what really struck me while playing this, and that is for a game with basically no communication functionality, the feeling of cooperation and working as a team is still incredibly strong. icon14.gif It doesn't matter what language your teammates speak (obviously, because you can't speak to them anyway :woops::heh:) but you still feel really connected purely via the nature of the gameplay.

At one point (on the battle where I chose the roller) I was struggling to get enough ink on a wall to climb it, and another player on my team (who was already standing on top of the wall) fired a path for me to climb with their Splattershot. :love:

During another match, I spotted someone on my team about to be confronted by an enemy player, so I dived into the ink and swam towards them, popping up at the last moment and sharing the bubble shield with them.

There's just so much potential for rad co-op gameplay like that.

Admittedly I've not played too many online team-based games in the past, perhaps effecting my opinion here, but nevertheless I'm really impressed with that aspect of Splatoon. :)

But the game has lots more than the demo... You wouldn't judge a demo in mario for getting bored after playing the one level or whatever... I find it weird how people are judging it based on 4 weapon, 2 levels, no friends play and one match mode...

Anyways, has me more hyped for it and I really really can't wait. Creating teams in august will take to a new level and hopefully they WILL add voice chat in the summer update as rumoured! It needs it, the times I was screaming at my gimpy team mates :)

That's why I won't be too harsh on it. Maybe turf wars isn't my favourite mode. The guns seem nerfed, like the roller though. Or maybe I just need to get better at it. I think the single player will be good and more focused. I'm a bit indifferent to the demo. It's limited so what do you expect?

Having played both sessions so far I do think voice chat would help and if nothing else it'll add to the immersion.

I tell you what really struck me while playing this, and that is for a game with basically no communication functionality, the feeling of cooperation and working as a team is still incredibly strong. icon14.gif It doesn't matter what language your teammates speak (obviously, because you can't speak to them anyway :woops::heh:) but you still feel really connected purely via the nature of the gameplay.

At one point (on the battle where I chose the roller) I was struggling to get enough ink on a wall to climb it, and another player on my team (who was already standing on top of the wall) fired a path for me to climb with their Splattershot. :love:

During another match, I spotted someone on my team about to be confronted by an enemy player, so I dived into the ink and swam towards them, popping up at the last moment and sharing the bubble shield with them.

There's just so much potential for rad co-op gameplay like that.

Admittedly I've not played too many online team-based games in the past, perhaps effecting my opinion here, but nevertheless I'm really impressed with that aspect of Splatoon. :)

Agreed.

Even though there is no real communication, I've actually always enjoyed this non-verbal stuff akin to the wonderful ways of communication in Journey.

As you play more with the same team, you begin to watch each other's back and teaming up with one another.

I believe I went through an entire match backing up a Japanese brother and we were the owning for a period of time.

Glad to see most impressions are positive. It always looked like loads of fun!

Also glad to see that there's an inherent sense of teamwork even without voice chat as well - That's a good sign that the co-op gameplay is well designed when it still feels like you're communicating even without talking! (Monster Hunter and Kid Icarus Uprising can feel like that sometimes as well!)

Hopefully I'll get a chance to get in on tonight's one... Gonna be cutting it very fine though (do you absolutely HAVE to be in at the very start? Or could you drop in a few minutes later and still get in?)

I hope Nintendo announce more online sessions after this evenings. Or a single player demo. I wouldn't be surprised. The more exposure the better.

I hope Nintendo announce more online sessions after this evenings. Or a single player demo. I wouldn't be surprised. The more exposure the better.

They won't. This is it until launch.

My favourite weapon was defintely the roller this afternoon as it felt great covering large distances whilst also being able to roll through your enemies :smile:

The best moments came from following behind a roller from the opposite team, without their knowledge, immediately undoing all their good work before mowing them down for extra lols :heh:

I loved the Kamikaze roller on roller attack!! Used it too often!! :D

I'm not judging it just on this demo... just wasn't quite as impressed as I thought I'd be. Of course you wouldn't judge Mario on one level, but if the first bit doesn't leave the best impression, it's harder for you to be as enthusiastic about the rest.

I'm sure it will still be a brilliant game and i'm pretty hyped about it, I just have some concerns about its online mode, mainly because it won't be complete until August. As I said, I'm not even that big on online gaming personally, but it's a shame to see Nintendo releasing it incomplete. It's very unlike them to release something like this, it makes me sad :(

Sorry for the negativity, as I said I did like it. It's just disheartening that it won't be a properly finished game for 3 months after its release.

Played it and I think some things need to be ironed out before launch. The main thing I'm missing is a zoom ability.

But beyond that, I love the art and music in this game.

Anyone want to do an Amiibo share ? So we can unlock all content and then post them to the next person

Edited by yesteryeargames