NEurope
Retro_Link

Splatoon

Is anyone playing?

will be in a little while, not playing until I've done a few bits around the house and had dinner though...

ok... guess it's too late to have finished dinner then :P

Nintendo is stepping it up and increasing the scope even more. The Splatfest taking place next weekend will be a simultaneous battle between all regions.

Didn't realise this was the case... I'm wondering if this is

a) because fewer players are taking part in splatfest and they need to increase the pool of players taking part

b) to test their online infrastructure to prepare for NX?

c) they finally got the online infrastructure stable enough so it no longer limits to regions?

Famitsu have awarded Splatoon their GOTY.

While it did fail to grab me personally, there's no denying how original the game is. You also have to factor the support the game has received post launch, not to mention how the game/IP has become a phenomenon in Japan, and you can see why it was given this award.

Famitsu have awarded Splatoon their GOTY.

While it did fail to grab me personally, there's no denying how original the game is. You also have to factor the support the game has received post launch, not to mention how the game/IP has become a phenomenon in Japan, and you can see why it was given this award.

I can see why it won, yet it still could've been so much more! I hope they really push the boat out with a Splatoon 2 and make it the game it could've been!

So... this morning all my splatfest battles were walk overs, easy wins. I figured I'd do something else then come back to it...

biiiiiig mistake.

Occassionally the team are dragged to victory... we seem ok first minute, then we lose momentum and then they gain it...

Also, I thought it was 3 points for the win, then 2 for 400p... I'm getting 2 for 400p, but 4 for the win (when they happen!)... is that a recent change?

Edited by Pestneb

So... this morning all my splatfest battles were walk overs, easy wins. I figured I'd do something else then come back to it...

biiiiiig mistake.

Occassionally the team are dragged to victory... we seem ok first minute, then we lose momentum and then they gain it...

Also, I thought it was 3 points for the win, then 2 for 400p... I'm getting 2 for 400p, but 4 for the win (when they happen!)... is that a recent change?

It's connected to your rank, the higher it is the more points you get. I'm A- and getting 5+2.

I guess it gets rid of the better players a bit quicker... so in theory playing later you should have fewer rank A's and B's.. right?

anyway, managed to get to King.. switched off. Having a mix between really tough teams and really easy teams was half the fun for me in splatfest, now they are all fairly tough... it's just not so much fun :|

Also the rank affects the power level. So if you're B, you'll get some very tough teams. My win lost ratio is levelled somewhat.

Yeah.. those tough teams just make it a lot of work. I don't mind them but I like to have the light relief from time to time... and a clear defeat feels less gutting than a game where you were winning for 2 minutes, then they fought back near the end ad wind up winning by under 1%.... it's more draining because a silly mistake here, a moments inattention there and your team is going to be down a squid and losing :(

Still.. 18 squids isn't shabby

CifkWhYWUAAX949.jpg

Team Fancy FTW.

I didn't play much of this Splatfest. I tried but the games were incredibly laggy and unplayable. I picked the winning side though and got to "Defender" rank so at least I got some seashells out of it.

Edited by Helmsly

I chose the opposite side thinking "those kids love fancy parties" and... Although it was very close. Which mirrors the games I had.

CifkWhYWUAAX949.jpg

Team Fancy FTW.

I didn't play much of this Splatfest. I tried but the games were incredibly laggy and unplayable. I picked the winning side though and got to "Defender" rank so at least I got some seashells out of it.

Is that the American screen? Threw me off initially, I went Black Tie.... So seeing "Fancy" I thought Fancy dress had won and my team lost :D

I found the connection super stable, having said that, since moving to France I found skype calls across the atlantic are FAR far far far better - night and day difference, so it might be the UK (and possibly Northern europe, idk?) have a shitty connection to the US, while Continental Europe have a better connection?? afaik this splatfest was US, EU and Japan, right?

Anyway, surprised at the results, normally when I get a 50/50 split on wins it translates closer to 60/40 than this result, so pretty happy all in all.

My nephew chose his team independently of me.. and turns out he also chose black tie :D

I tried playing this morning, but got 6 dcs in 6 so gave up. Got some snails just for picking the right team though.

When I played with my nephew for the last splatfest, his connection was shocking too... it really kills the feel. It would be good if they were somehow able to make a realistic feeling AI, firstly to cover dropouts in your team, but also if they could have those players seamlessly continue playing (seemingly with the same players). Then have a "reconfiguring connection" screen or w/e at the end of the match....

Something along the lines of smash bros... if the game watched you play and would work out consistency, accuracy, play style etc. so you could play against friends splatoon ghosts... would also help fill up the empty slots when organising a game...

Is that the American screen? Threw me off initially, I went Black Tie.... So seeing "Fancy" I thought Fancy dress had won and my team lost :D

ah damn, you're right, normally I take a screenshot myself but this time I grabbed it off twitter. I didn't notice that they put different names from the EU version of the game. I wonder why they changed it when Splatfests are worldwide now?

Cig40VFUoAA5YBU.jpg

When I played with my nephew for the last splatfest, his connection was shocking too... it really kills the feel.

yeah that is my problem when this happens, it just kills my mood for playing. Most of the Splatfests year its been touch and go for me, but easily last night and this morning were the worst.

Once the Splatfest was over though, the game was running perfectly online

Edited by Helmsly

Once the Splatfest was over though, the game was running perfectly online

Wonder why that is? I had no issues this splatfest, literally I don't recall a single disconnect (one or two may have happened but if they did, so rare I didn't notice!).

I wonder if it's because I'm in continental europe now.. does anyone know how Nintendo's infrastructure is set up? Is there a hub in Germany or something like that???

Wonder why that is? I had no issues this splatfest, literally I don't recall a single disconnect (one or two may have happened but if they did, so rare I didn't notice!).

I wonder if it's because I'm in continental europe now.. does anyone know how Nintendo's infrastructure is set up? Is there a hub in Germany or something like that???

I didn't get any disconnects, but the servers were all down Saturday morning when I went on get a few early games in.

My big problem with Splatfests is the lobbies are full of Japanese, and I often get a game where it's 7 of them and then me. Basically this affects the connections and often makes the game really pointless and I end up just colouring in sections at the back of the map as I literally can't kill anyone.

Then as soon as the Splatfest ends, I end up playing against Europeans again and I'm like a killing machine!

I didn't get any disconnects, but the servers were all down Saturday morning when I went on get a few early games in.

My big problem with Splatfests is the lobbies are full of Japanese, and I often get a game where it's 7 of them and then me. Basically this affects the connections and often makes the game really pointless and I end up just colouring in sections at the back of the map as I literally can't kill anyone.

Then as soon as the Splatfest ends, I end up playing against Europeans again and I'm like a killing machine!

again weird... didn't notice any issues what so ever, servers were up in the morning.. I did have a break so maybe they went down late morning for you??

again weird... didn't notice any issues what so ever, servers were up in the morning.. I did have a break so maybe they went down late morning for you??

I was on early morning, there was defo server maintenance and the online was down, I posted a screenshot to Miiverse and got a few replies, apparently as soon as the Splatfest started the servers crashed due to the number of people connecting.

On the issue of Japanese gamers - they should definitely segregate the game but regions (this was an option in most COD games). It would increase the quality of play for everyone. Plus, the install base for this is sufficiently big for that segregation to work.

I was on early morning, there was defo server maintenance and the online was down, I posted a screenshot to Miiverse and got a few replies, apparently as soon as the Splatfest started the servers crashed due to the number of people connecting.

On the issue of Japanese gamers - they should definitely segregate the game but regions (this was an option in most COD games). It would increase the quality of play for everyone. Plus, the install base for this is sufficiently big for that segregation to work.

I suspect that participant levels were getting low in certain regions - I imagine europe being the culprit - and they stuck europe and the US together to boost numbers. Probably Japan showed lower participation too so they've popped all 3 regions together. I wouldn't be surprised if there are only a couple of splatfests left in the game now.

Having a stats unlockable, once you reach level 50, would have been nice. or a new mode... something to keep things a bit fresher.

So... anyone around still interested in playing this? I'm playing a bit of turf wars at the moment...

Sheldon's Picks Vol.2 releases on June 8th

CjisIiAWEAIxyTf.jpg

Also, Today marks One year since Splatoon's release

tumblr_o7ufh2mXmZ1qhv8w1o1_1280.jpg

Edited by Helmsly

probably a bit slower than everyone else.. but I've only just figured out how to get onto the opposing teams side in the museum level!