NEurope
Retro_Link

Splatoon

I think the rationale is probably that you can join friends in Turf Wars anyway.

That'd be the usual preposterous rational from nintendo then like their other efforts at justifying idiotic decisions.

I mean, I wouldn't be devastated by it, but it'd just be nice. I mean why not let us all just play the game who we want to play it? I don't get it!!

We don't actually know that they haven't included Turf Wars in Squads yet.. do we?

No mention of lobby gear/weapon swaps? I really hope they have included this in squad modes.

Thats a lot of added content and there's still more to come and its free.

I'm actually not too bothered about turf wars. I quite enjoy the changing teams and sometimes working against each other (especially when you have a Skype chat going)

This. I like playing with and against friends in Turf wars. It's so casual and fun and nowhere near as frustrating as ranked.

The level cap and new gear, plus a way to play with friends will make this update a big hit for me.

Edited by Guy

We don't actually know that they haven't included Turf Wars in Squads yet.. do we?

No mention of lobby gear/weapon swaps? I really hope they have included this in squad modes.

Thats a lot of added content and there's still more to come and its free.

From the pics it looks to be pretty suggestive that Squad battle is Ranked modes only(they wouldn't rank turf wars, would they?) and the only other way to possibly get a team for turf wars is private battles? Hoping you're right and we can team up for turf wars though - I understand them wanting it to stay the fun and friendly mode where a team isn't just dominating(hence rotation etc) but it'd be nice if we could get a constant team of us when there isn't enough of us for a private battle, if that makes sense.

Having said that - I reckon we could do well enough to get some Splatoon nights going with a decent attendance for some private battles(and presumed team balancing when there isn't 8 of us).

I'm really looking forward to the update :hehe:

I feel like I've been left behind a little as I haven't been playing so regularly in recent weeks and most people seem to have got better! My connection definitely doesn't help, though :red:

I need to start experiementing with other weapons, though, as I'm still playing with the very first gun! I'm gonna have to mix it up next time I'm on, especially if I ever want to proplery delve into the other modes :smile:

Maybe they're making this game not as good as it should be on purpose so that the sequel betters it, when it finally becomes a complete game and not a botched effort..?

For a botched effort, it's taking up 100% of my gaming time. So its not doing too badly from my perspective.

Nintendo's "botched efforts" are still a craptonne of fun. Whereas other botched efforts result in being removed from sale on steam or matchmaking still giving errors almost a year later.

I wouldn't call this botched anyway, just because it doesn't match your tickboxes. It's also a complete game, but let's not get into this again :/

It's all opinion anyhow, it's as fair for me to call it botched as others to call it amazing.

Botched is a pretty harsh word to describe Splatoon...

The game isn't perfect. I think there are still issues. Even with the changes in the forthcoming update, the initial offering was incredibly sparse, but what is there now works well 90% of the time and hopefully the new stuff will be no different. The game will never cater to everyone used to other shooters, it is a Nintendo game after all, but it's still nice to see them trying to round the experience out - the game has only grown and improved since launch and they seem committed to keeping fresh Ink spraying for a while yet.

It's all opinion anyhow, it's as fair for me to call it botched as others to call it amazing.

True enough. Agree to disagree.

Nintendo announce a great update coming to an already great game + more free content throughout the summer and autumn and STILL people whinge and complain. Unbelievable.

It is believable... because it's not great. Opinions.

You know you could be like Serebii and not be antagonistic about it..?

For a botched effort, it's taking up 100% of my gaming time. So its not doing too badly from my perspective.

It's taking up about 90% of my gaming time at the moment itself (although I'm in a gaming lull at the moment).

Nintendo's "botched efforts" are still a craptonne of fun. Whereas other botched efforts result in being removed from sale on steam or matchmaking still giving errors almost a year later.

I wouldn't call this botched anyway, just because it doesn't match your tickboxes. It's also a complete game, but let's not get into this again :/

It is still fun, I've not disputed that, and won't do. I just find it annoying/frustrating with Nintendo's design decisions as much as I find it fun.

One of my biggest gripes still is this:

I join friends, play a couple matches and now want to change weapon/clothing.

I have to back out, change, re-join and sit there waiting for a space to open up and then a game to finish, when I could easily do that in much less than 10 seconds in the lobby.

For someone who likes to change weapons/clothing often, this is a HUGE frustration!

Edited by Kav
Automerged Doublepost

Thank you. Very well said.

I agree with Kav regarding certain issues, especially the gear/weapon gripe. That is something tiny that was overlooked, but the sheer number of times this tiny issue arises kinda makes it a bigger issue.

When playing with friends I actually continue using the same weapon longer than I'd like just so that I don't have to wait the 3:00 mins (or even worse: not be able to get back in the next game).

Maybe the update houses a few more surprises! Ultimately it's still great, and if we can get a platoon night going, with Skype, then it'll be incredible!!

So let's do it, let's have a night, same time every week. Obviously random plays all the time too, but I know the way my life is, knowing there is one day a week and a time where we play it will get implanted and I'll do it. Anyone up for that?!

Nintendo announce a great update coming to an already great game + more free content throughout the summer and autumn and STILL people whinge and complain. Unbelievable.

I already deleted your other earlier post which was once again you complaining about people complaining. I didn't infract because I didn't have time but I wish I had!

Discuss Splatoon, Nintendo, the topics at hand etc - constantly talking about other people's opinions on the matter without expressing any real opinion of your own is what serves to derailment and arguments in these threads.

I'll be giving you a yellow infraction and, once again, banning you from this thread when I get home. Other people seem to be able to disagree with each other sensibly here - but every time it seems to be you baiting and prodding.

Post once again serves for others to be aware. No further discussion on the matter here please.

I think it will be interesting to see how many gamers actually stick with the game this long after its launch for the new content. Not talking about people like us who keep an eye on gaming news and knew this stuff was coming from the beginning but just the general gamers who might have moved on already to something new.

Having a really good run in ranked Tower Control tonight. Best has been 22/8. Maybe tonight I'll finally reach the B- rank.

[edit] And there's the loss. Rollers who run around when on the Tower, wow. My profanity is exhausted.

Edited by Guy

I went from high B down to C+ (nearly C) using the classic squiffer yesterday #noSkill :(

After numerous high C+ losing streaks, I've finally hit B-, never playing single player ranked mode again, haha.

Really digging the N-ZAP 89, it has great damage/range, Sprinkler and Inkstrike and it looks awesome to boot.

Edited by Guy

I have to agree - I can't stop playing it and the August update will probably just ramp it up more. In fact...I'm shortly gonna go get my daily Splatoon fix! So much for my plan to tackle my backlog anytime soon...

I've still got the many frustrations(and similar to your post, tend to keep using stuff longer than I might otherwise to stay in matches) but I can't fault its addictiveness for me.

Also seconding the Tuesday nights! Wednesdays I go out once a month, but Tuesdays I'm generally about.

[edit] And there's the loss. Rollers who run around when on the Tower, wow. My profanity is exhausted.

How do you mean? Not being able to hit them on the other side of the spire bit??

How do you mean? Not being able to hit them on the other side of the spire bit??

Yeah, they'll just run around it in circles, combined with the moving Tower it can be a nightmare to hit 'em.

Here's one thing about the update, won't affect us, but good for tournaments:

http://gonintendo.com/stories/239280-splatoon-to-allow-8-wii-u-consoles-to-connect-locally-via-intern

Private Battle: Two to eight friends can battle together in customizable matches. Private Battle also allows players to hold small-scale custom tournaments using up to 8 Wii U consoles and games on a single Internet connection.

Basically, an internet connection is required to start the game, but the matches themselves are done over LAN, which is a pretty important thing for tournaments.