NEurope
Retro_Link

Splatoon

I prefer Splat Zones. But each to their own. I still enjoy tower control, I just think SZ is less frustrating when you get a bad team.

Completely agree that 4 hour rotation is far too long.

As much as I dislike being told what maps I can play, and what mode in ranked, I do see a slight positive in as much as it keeps it all fresh. In ranked I think the main thing is the quality of your team, when I have a weak one it is frustrating, whichever mode (although mainly in ranked because losing hard earned rank doesn't feel nice!)

In friends mode I agree, it should be more open. There are a lot of modes I hope for in friends mode.. completely random (any map, any mode, any team mates) is one.. maybe a team variant of the single player, with one team being octopi the other squids. A lot of others which would require very little work from a programming point of view.

Thing is, when the friends mode is on I can imagine the random modes becoming quite dead....

My big worry and it'd be classic idiotic Nintendo was that for friends games you have to have a team of 4 to play or you can't, like what if 3 of you want to be a team, can you still join and get a random to join you? Also for the friends groups, again, you either need 8 or you can't do it.

It'll be so limited and specific it'll be almost unusable.

[tweet]625600742347288576[/tweet]

Splatoon update is on August 6. Tag Team Match and Private Match to come. More information is forthcoming

CK6VgvuUAAAyzqg.jpg

Looks like maintenance on August 3rd through 5th. My Japanese sucks so I'm not sure which modes will be down

From StreetsAhead

Urchin Underpass undergoing "improvement works" between August 3rd and 5th. No battles on the area during that time.

I'm glad it's releasing towards the start of the month. I've been getting bored quite quickly on it recently, gaming with friends will make all the difference.

So, it sounds like that map is being altered in the patch. Not adding it into rotation for the few days leading up to it is for "story" reasons.

Hopefully they won't change much. I like that map.

We need to get on Skype!!

So Urchin Underpass is getting a redesign? Interesting. Personally it's Arowana Mall which needs fixing :)

Tag Team Match sounds interesting, maybe you can just tag with friends and it not demand you\re a team of 4 or not at all!! So people can just fill int he numbers.

Or it could be a seperate mode entirely and you can only play in teams of 4, meaning the main game is still as it is... just imagine if Nintendo made the system that retarded...

Personally, the friend multiplater should be like this:

Team matches: Group together, join regular online (with randoms if you don't have four)

Friend matches: Any amount of players, bots on/off (so you can have a 3v3 match or fill in gaps with bots), host chooses map and mode (no limitations or rotations). Team randomisation can be turned on or off.

I'm just dreading that vs other players will require 4 people, and private matches will require 8.

Personally, the friend multiplater should be like this:

Team matches: Group together, join regular online (with randoms if you don't have four)

Friend matches: Any amount of players, bots on/off (so you can have a 3v3 match or fill in gaps with bots), host chooses map and mode (no limitations or rotations). Team randomisation can be turned on or off.

I'm just dreading that vs other players will require 4 people, and private matches will require 8.

That is exactly how it should work, and I also have exactly the same fears. Please Nintendo, nail this!!!

Surely they can't fuck it up, surely they know that 4 and 8 is so weirdly specific it renders it unusable....

While we're at the things we'd love to see, anyone want tournaments? Create a team of 4, enter tournaments?

The next biggest thing for me is having slots for custom loadouts and having them changeable whilst in the lobby. I change weapons/clothing often and I hate that I have to back out all the time. It's so god damn annoying.

It's the simplest of things yet Nintendo don't do it. They're beyond backwards at times.

Also, it would be nice if they considered putting in friends only voice-chat for the friend match-making. Even if they don't want randoms talking (giving abuse) to each other, surely they realise it's nice for friends to talk to each other at least?

Edited by Kav

It's the simplest of things yet Nintendo don't do it. They're beyond backwards at times.

It's their first ever first-party online team shooter. Give them a f-ing break

It's their first ever first-party online team shooter. Give them a f-ing break

No! This is Nintendo we're talking about, they used to be leaders in game development, they used to set the standards!

We shouldn't give them a break when they do a half-arsed effort, we should criticise when they're due it, when their games are below their own standards.

As much as I dislike being told what maps I can play, and what mode in ranked, I do see a slight positive in as much as it keeps it all fresh. In ranked I think the main thing is the quality of your team, when I have a weak one it is frustrating, whichever mode (although mainly in ranked because losing hard earned rank doesn't feel nice!)

The thing is, for me at least, I've already been heavily dissuaded from Splat Zones. Either it's me, or the teams I get, but I just can't keep up with it as well as I can TC(which, whilst it might not, feels more 'balanced' to me). So it isn't fresh, but basically a mode I'll avoid playing when it's in the rotation, and thus probably end up playing the game less!

No! This is Nintendo we're talking about, they used to be leaders in game development, they used to set the standards!

We shouldn't give them a break when they do a half-arsed effort, we should criticise when they're due it, when their games are below their own standards.

I'm doing an article for another site on this, but I'm going to hold and wait to see what the bullet point thoughts on changes I want and see what happens.

- save gear/weapon load outs for quick change in the menus without needing to kick out. Doesn't have to slow the game down, if we run out of time changing it's our fault!

- voice chat with friends (with headset support, don't force us to use the abysmal gamepad speaker)

- Move to 3 stage rotations in all modes, change it to change every 2 hours not 4

- stop telling us when we load up what the stages are, we don't care; more importantly stop kicking us out of lobbies to tell us what the new stages are, do it in the lobby!

- add filters to all your gear - weapon type, bonus type, maybe have an add favourites button/star

- stats. I want to know how much paint I've splatted, how many zones I've kept and towers controlled, how many times I've died and how many I've killed etc, I also want to know WHO i've killed and been killed by after matches! Even better, stats on how many times I've fought alongside and against my friends etc stats stats stats i love them!

- Add a friend icon next to your friends names

- if a game STARTS with 3 players, stop the match straight away, what's the point. Or/and add in bots, or/and allow mid-match drop-ins. Would be quite nice having 3 players, get battered, get a 4th drop in and pull it back for the win

- allow all games types in ranked and for fun. No brainer, but just do it, I sort of understand why it's limited, with wii u's low numbers maybe they don't want to fragment the players, but at least rotate all modes, with increased rotation times too then it'll be fine to limit it still. Even a shuffle mode where each game is different mode or something.

- can we have online leaderboards (even just fiends) on the mini games? More incentive to play

- Can we up the level limit, we all got to 20 pretty quickly, why not an increase of 10 per month? With a new gear set on each 10, keeps the incentive to play going

- Splatfests. Let us join our friends if we're on the same team

- Splatfests - the VOTE is a little too powerful, it should be a decider on a close victory result, but not be a big swayer, change the scoring system slightly

- let us back out of searching for games without resorting to pulling our plugs

- Mari and Callie, you say " Stay freeeeeeesh" but the subtitle says "Staaaaaaaay Fresh" please change it

Some random ideas

- I'd like to see tournaments, and even best of 5 matches (maybe only for private games), first to 3, so losing a game isn't over. Think it would be a great addition

- splatoon TV, like mario kart, youtube uploads, more editing functionality,

I would love almost all of that @dazzybee. The only thing I'd do without is the stats... some people (not thinking of @Zechs Merquise at all here, honest) care too much about their stats and will rage when games effect their stats in a negative manner. People will start plug-pulling mid-game!

All points I think I'd be on board with dazzybee, but you do remind me of something that bothers me every time and sort of related to the above...

- stop telling us when we load up what the stages are, we don't care; more importantly stop kicking us out of lobbies to tell us what the new stages are, do it in the lobby!

They don't even tell you what bloody mode ranked is!! Likee...it's the stupidest thing to not be including when you're doing a force infoblast on boot, that contains silly information! Either that or I've been so dense/bored by them that I'm blinded to it now, I swear I don't notice it though.

Skip it - a tap of 'stages' on the gamepad does everything they do for you(except news, in which case I think they should still appear) in seconds, rather than what it takes them to explain.

Here it is

27th July, 2015 – On 6th August, a free software update for Splatoon on Wii U brings a large amount of new content to the game, including two new matchmaking modes, new weapon types, an increase to the game’s level-cap and more than 40 pieces of new gear. Players will now be able to create a winning strategy and fight to be the best and most battle tested squid-squad around.

The new update introduces Squad Battle and Private Battle matchmaking options. In Squad Battle, players can participate in Ranked Battle rule sets with friends, rather than being teamed up with other players through a random selection. After a player creates a squad, friends can be recruited to form a team of two to four Inklings. Friends will always play together on the same team and battle against other squads at random.

In Private Battle, friends can splat it up in private, customisable matches. Two to eight friends can battle together by selecting their favourite map, mode and weapons. The number of participants ranges from 1v1 to 4v4, but teams don’t have to be even: if the host chooses, he or she can select a 1v4, 1v2, or any other combination of players.

With this robust new update also comes an increased level cap in both Regular Battle and Ranked Battle modes. After downloading the software update, players will be able to reach level 50 (raised from level 20) and rank S and S+ in Ranked Battle (both higher than A+).

While Inklings around the world are enjoying and mastering the current arsenal of weapons in Splatoon, two new weapon types will be available with the update, adding a new layer of strategy to the game. The bucket-like Slosher weapons hurl ink straight ahead at an impressive range. By adjusting the angle, these new weapons can be used to splat opponents who are up high or even on the other side of a wall. With the Gatling-style Splatling, players can charge all-powerful ink. A maximum charge unleashes the full potential of this particular weapon type. In addition to the new weapons, more than 40 pieces of gear, including everything from a leather jacket to a sushi-chef costume are coming to the various in-game shops in Splatoon.

Despite its size and scope, this massive August update is not the end of the splat-tacular free content coming to Splatoon. Following this update, more content will continually roll out through the rest of the summer and into autumn, including the Rainmaker Ranked Battle mode, additional maps and new weapons. More details on these additions will be revealed in the future.

It's good they're giving us the Squad Battle, but is it only with the Ranked game modes? Or is it Ranked rules ie; you win and increase your rank. Will Turf War be included?!

Well, no bots, but the rest of that seems to be exactly what I said, so that's pretty awesome.

Edit: Oh, and no team turf war.

It's not horrific... But it's still gimped - so team play is ONLY for ranked play? So no team play turf wars? Some serious fragmenting of players though with 3 different groups of Squad battles - 2's, 3's and 4's all seem to be different groups... Also, what i you're in a two and a friend wants to join you?!?! I think we all know how that fuck that cunting this is going to play out....oh nintendo...

Private matches sounds pretty much perfect though I'll give them that, so we'll all just have to make sure we have Splatoon nights!!

I'm actually not too bothered about turf wars. I quite enjoy the changing teams and sometimes working against each other (especially when you have a Skype chat going)

I think the rationale is probably that you can join friends in Turf Wars anyway.

I think the rationale is probably that you can join friends in Turf Wars anyway.

Just not as a squad though :(

Although I've faint hope that Turf Wars may be playable in Squad Battles as it says Ranked Battle rules, not game types.

Maybe you can play all 3 game types but you get ranked based on your Squad's performance..?

I imagine I'm setting myself up for disappointment though... typical from Nintendo this generation, disappointing.

Edited by Kav