NEurope
Retro_Link

Splatoon

Have you actually looked back on the last bunch of posts?

You are talking about a family-friendly team-based shooter. I feel like I walked into an accountant's meeting and it's absolutely hilarious!

Now I know how people feel when I try to explain how Effort Values in Pokemon work.

Well I don't find it very friendly when my 5-6 hours of playtime is largely counter-acted by some people's 30 seconds to click a button!! :p

Well I don't find it very friendly when my 5-6 hours of playtime is largely counter-acted by my 30 seconds to click the wrong button!! :p

: peace:

you'll have another chance in a few weeks time ;)

The penalty for losing is only 50% up to super, 48% for charismatic, but a mere 25% if you become eternal ;)

The penalty for being matched with weak team mates is 60% :(

184/2 = 92 matches

184/5 = 37 matches

So actually in a way effort:sea snails is probably quite close for both teams in this instance (unless a sleeping eternal kept on playing to try to support their team)

I do wish getting 800p got 3xp, 1600 got 4xp. It would make having weak team mates much less frustrating. (lets face it, if you have 1600p it's not likely you'll be getting those bonus 3xp from winning!... and even with 800p you'll probably have been picking up the slack from some other weak team member..)

Edited by Pestneb

Indeed :D

On another note, I completed the single player last night:

I think it was overall fairly enjoyable, but it was very samey. I had more trouble finding some levels than completing them.

The final boss was decent; nice use of something I won't say. Definitely more challenging.

Do the amiibo's allow you to do the complete single player with different weapons?

Maybe using more weapons would have made it less repetitive?

The Amiibo have you complete some of the levels with different goals depending on the Amiibo. So you may have to use only Roller, Scopes or Kraken. I think that's right. Some have a Ink limit too, but it's not too strict. You also get to do all the bosses with only each type of weapon.

: peace:

you'll have another chance in a few weeks time ;)

The penalty for losing is only 50% up to super, 48% for charismatic, but a mere 25% if you become eternal ;)

The penalty for being matched with weak team mates is 60% :(

184/2 = 92 matches

184/5 = 37 matches

So actually in a way effort:sea snails is probably quite close for both teams in this instance (unless a sleeping eternal kept on playing to try to support their team)

I do wish getting 800p got 3xp, 1600 got 4xp. It would make having weak team mates much less frustrating. (lets face it, if you have 1600p it's not likely you'll be getting those bonus 3xp from winning!... and even with 800p you'll probably have been picking up the slack from some other weak team member..)

For me I probably won't, as August is a quite a busy month for me(including in...The N-Europe Summer Meet 2015!) but I definitely agree with you on the latter point of having more bonus points for your own individual scores; would def make things a bit fairer when you've got slack people on your team(had some myself on Sunday). Splatoon has some good ideas in it, and whilst achieved well in some ways, I do think there's room for improvement.

@Rummy have you given the new brush a run-out? If so, what did you think of it?

I gave it a blast over the weekend and quite liked it. It's not quite as good for coverage but it's probably more deadly on the splat. I did find I'd need two items of clothing with the main perk as Ink Saver Main though.

Got an hour or two in last night so decided to bust it out for a try(across 4 stages due to the time, too, so that was good) and its....definitely an Inkbrush!

I pre-empted my gear and equipped some ink saver items(mains and seconds) so I don't know what it's like just vanilla/with weak gear but I found it different in a few ways;

1.) It didn't seem to feel as good as it actually was. I was topping matches with base 700-900 mostly(so 1000-1200 on wins). It SEEMS it isn't doing a lot of coverage, but I think it flings more ink on a greater area - the spread/gaps makes it look like less than it is. It also feels like it swings more slowly when I'm handling it(especially compared to competition waving it in my face). I kept being surprised with my end performance.

2.) It's powerful! You can kill with this bad boy. Often. For most of the encounters I had with people, I'd be able to kill them pretty hard and fast. Sometimes I'd even get two of them who were trying to get me - it's pretty rare I'm doing that normally.

3.) I didn't know how I feel on the Kraken as I hadn't used it much before. I already liked Beacons, and having used the Kraken a few times(seems to charge the special relatively easily, but that might just be the Kraken's way and my gear) - I can see why people like it.

4.) Again, possibly gear related but I didn't find the ink consumption too annoying - may just be how I play with inkbrushes though. I actually found my consumption worse with the original Inkbrush - that may have been sub and usage related(despite the Octobrush's consumption, it may be more efficient at times?).

Will it become my main weapon/inkbrush? Possibly. Want to have some more time with it but I really enjoyed being back on the Inkbrush game - the wider run-paint-width is a subtle but added bonus that I think could add up. It suits my general play of swipes+hide/recharge and I think taking a slow and steady approach like that with it, you can get on quite well in the match without the ink consumption becoming an issue. Like anything - you've just got to be aware of its risks and limitations and keep them in mind. I think the added oomph of the Octobrush when things DO come down to a battle with another player is much needed - though I still wouldn't recommend going looking for it if you don't have to.

Edited by Rummy

It definitely lends itself to a much more aggressive style of play in comparison with the Inbrush. I'd hit the front lines and stay at the fore using my beacons, getting good coverage and splatting well, forcing the enemy backwards.

I like a couple Ink Saver Main items of clothing with it, it really does chew through ink otherwise.

With the Inkbrush I prefer to hang back slightly and focus on covering turf but then also using it's speed and manoeuvrability to flank and hit the enemy from blind spots/cause them to pull back to reclaim turf.

I use a couple Inkling Run Speed Increase items of clothing with it so I'm in and out quickly.

Edited by Kav

Been playing ranked mode for the past few nights, love it so much, splat zones and tower control are so good. In fact, most things about this games are pretty incredible, it'll easily be one of my favourite games of the whole generations, all formats! Can't wait for th big update in August - not long now! And hopefully they'll really fix the many issues!!

It definitely lends itself to a much more aggressive style of play in comparison with the Inbrush. I'd hit the front lines and stay at the fore using my beacons, getting good coverage and splatting well, forcing the enemy backwards.

I like a couple Ink Saver Main items of clothing with it, it really does chew through ink otherwise.

With the Inkbrush I prefer to hang back slightly and focus on covering turf but then also using it's speed and manoeuvrability to flank and hit the enemy from blind spots/cause them to pull back to reclaim turf.

I use a couple Inkling Run Speed Increase items of clothing with it so I'm in and out quickly.

Yeah can definitely see where you're coming from there - I just wish more of my team mates actually utilised my beacons! It's nice to be able to essentially use the brush to set up your own little area behind lines for people to jump to but...nobody seems to jump there when I do!!

Yeah can definitely see where you're coming from there - I just wish more of my team mates actually utilised my beacons! It's nice to be able to essentially use the brush to set up your own little area behind lines for people to jump to but...nobody seems to jump there when I do!!

To be fair, it is more effective for the beacon user to jump to the beacon, as they can replace it.

To be fair, it is more effective for the beacon user to jump to the beacon, as they can replace it.

Oh yeah, I keep an eye on them to replace them - I'm talking about when I lay them and spend time in the local area(so I can then replace it if people do jump). I've occasionally also tried the 'To Me' shout sometimes but it doesn't always get much notice - understandable though because you have to take your eyes of the screen and sometimes you're just not in the situation for that!

[tweet]624400280453406720[/tweet]

tumblr_nryqprMnB41u3akyno2_1280.jpgtumblr_nryqprMnB41u3akyno4_1280.jpg

tumblr_nryqprMnB41u3akyno1_1280.jpgtumblr_nryqprMnB41u3akyno3_1280.jpg

Pack your knapsack because we’re going to camp. Camp Triggerfish, that is!

When the Inklings aren’t busy making s’mores or boondoggle key chains, they enjoy the majestic scenery afforded by camping the best way they know how – Turf War! Battles here play out across a series of bridges, which you’ll have to cross to reach your opponents’ turf.

Each team base at Camp Triggerfish is outfitted with a set of floodgates. When the gates are down, it’s easier for the other team to come and go as they please. In Turf War, the gates lower with one minute left on the clock, leading the way for late-game assaults. In Ranked Battle, they stay down so players can come and go as they please. Watch out in Tower Control! The tower’s path is almost always over water and you’ll need to show off your best squid skills to avoid getting dunked.

Starting tomorrow at 7 PM PT, Camp Triggerfish will be added to the stage rotation. Maybe after we’re done battling we can gather round the fire and sing some jaunty campfire tunes!

http://splatoonus.tumblr.com/post/124883027053/pack-your-knapsack-because-were-going-to-camp

Edited by Helmsly

Apparently, there was a trailer at EVO that promised new maps and new gear during the August update, too :)

so maybe I'll have more gear to upgrade soon. I'm looking forward to the August update, the game feels like it needs a little extra just now.

Yeah. A little refresh next month is exactly what the game needs. New maps and clothes is very promising, maybe we'll get some amiibo outfit functionality. No playable characters, but costumes or hats would be neat.

Not to repeat myself, but we need 3 maps, 2 hour rotation, dont kick out on rotation, allow all modes to be played in ranked and for fun

Not to repeat myself, but we need 3 maps, 2 hour rotation, dont kick out on rotation, allow all modes to be played in ranked and for fun

If they do all this, add custom class slots, as well as the team match-making, it'd push the game to an 8/10 for me and I'd play it a lot more than I currently do.

It would be nice if friends mode locked you out from the updates, you have the 2 maps currently set for everyone perhaps, but the third map is chosen like in mk8

What we really need is fixes for the friend system and a way to change gear/weapons on the fly through the gamepad. August can't come soon enough.

How much does it cost them to maintain the servers and release free updates, even if it's small one's like weapons and clothes?

If they do all this, add custom class slots, as well as the team match-making, it'd push the game to an 8/10 for me and I'd play it a lot more than I currently do.

Harsh git!

The game is almost 10 our of 10 for me as it is. Fix the problems and it could be game of the generation!!

Harsh git!

The game is almost 10 our of 10 for me as it is. Fix the problems and it could be game of the generation!!

There's far too much that needs putting in for it to be rated higher in my eyes. It's too restrictive a game, it's as annoying as it is fun.

I'd second most of this - the addition to it would be what O_W and Kav have mentioned - speedy/easy weapon changeouts. I think the kickout/loss of friends is one of the most annoying things I find about the game; either on stage change or because you wanna quickly change your gear and BAM! 3 minutes waiting time OR even worse you can't get get in there because it's 'full'. Gamepad's perfect for doing it on too - doesn't need to interrupt the lobby part at all; if you aren't fast enough then you go with what you've got.

There's far too much that needs putting in for it to be rated higher in my eyes. It's too restrictive a game, it's as annoying as it is fun.

Yeah it has huge problems, I have a massive list on my phone ready to do an article on it actually, but irrespective of all that i think this is a game we'll look back on in history as a genre defining, and console defining game, i really believe it. I haven't played anything like it, it's them most fun online game I've ever played and the ongoing development could be a great starting point for nintendo as a company moving forward. It's flawed genius to me, but genius all the same!!

Yeah it has huge problems, I have a massive list on my phone ready to do an article on it actually, but irrespective of all that i think this is a game we'll look back on in history as a genre defining, and console defining game, i really believe it. I haven't played anything like it, it's them most fun online game I've ever played and the ongoing development could be a great starting point for nintendo as a company moving forward. It's flawed genius to me, but genius all the same!!

Does make you want to ask though - how good could it be if they got it right!! Or righter at least. More right? Better?

One thing it's definitely done - got me playing. I imagine I'm past 80-90 hours on it now, which is a bit mental to think about really.

Does make you want to ask though - how good could it be if they got it right!! Or righter at least. More right? Better?

One thing it's definitely done - got me playing. I imagine I'm past 80-90 hours on it now, which is a bit mental to think about really.

This is the thing. It's fun but in my opinion nowhere near as fun as it should be. It's fresh, that's definitely certain, but I couldn't say it's anywhere near as much fun as some other multiplayer games I've played... CoD, Battlefront and Battlefield (Battlefield especially) are much more fun for me and why I couldn't possibly see Splatoon as a defining game... it just does way too much wrong.

Granted it is opinion and I do still enjoy Splatoon.

Edited by Kav