NEurope
Retro_Link

Splatoon

In it's current state it's a 7 at best for me too. It does some things well but too many things poorly.

It's an 8 for me. In many ways flawless in terms of fun, balance, level design, graphics, controls and general gameplay. In other ways deeply flawed, not for what was in the game, but for what was missing - voice chat, friend lobbies, different load outs, game modes not being able to be played with friends.

It seems a common theme with Nintendo games on the Wii U that its not what they're doing is wrong, its the bits Nintendo leave out due to their stubbornness that lets them down. Nintendo Land - ruined by the lack of online. Pikmin 3, should have been online for the coop modes. Mario Kart 8 was less well rounded in terms of online options than Mario Kart Wii.

Splatoon is the same, they left out key modes, features and most importantly social aspects that let down an otherwise amazing game!

8 for me. Decent game, needs a few more modes but still the mechanics are sound and it's fun as hell.

I'd also give it a 7 - good fun but not enough to keep me interested. I haven't played it in a few weeks.

I would also give it a 7, but a good seven an a way that lots of important things were done well, but I also will probably give it a higher grade after the big update, bit don't think it will be higher than 8, as the singleplayer is just to short.

The last Boss was allround a 9-10 :D, difficulty wise a 6-7.

I'd give it a DNF.

It started off boring and didn't get much better.

Art style's nice though!

It's a 9 for me, but if they keep releasing new modes on ranked it's gonna end up skipping 8 and dropping to a 7.

I will drop those numbers so hard.

I'm hoping the new modes will also come in unranked as well eventually. Maybe they just want to encourage more people to try ranked modes.

I didn't realise painting was so much fun, but having played ranked modes I guess that is the main difference - ranked kinda leans more heavily on splatting the enemy than the regular mode.

in regular mode, even with a poor team, it is occassionally possible to slip behind enemy lines and cheerfully paint a quiet spot while your team keep the enemy occupied back at base.

In ranked you have to converge on a single point or two so the emphasis does go back to taking out the enemy. If your team don't support you enough then you lose (the match, rank AND normally points)

I actually think the sole solution to ranked as it plays right now is communication. so that you can talk to your team, tell them what you need from them.

The other would be to find some way of levelling the playing field.

maybe having the splat zones in random places, so if a splat zone is neutralised it goes to another location (a little closer to the currently losing team or something?). As it stands skatepark = race to the tower, camping on/around the tower, sniping any players who get close. Or just plain dull and predicatable.

also they have set it to all bases needing to be held for the counter to tick down... I would prefer it if 1/2 the bases being held would mean the counter would go down half as quickly... not that hard to code.

The Squid Squad

tumblr_nqtgq25GOm1u3akyno1_1280.jpg

The dummer’s a bit rough around the edges. They call him wild child for a reason. This youngster’s sense of rhythm is uncanny, and when it matters most, his sticks are always there to lead the way with a wicked beat barrage. He really gives his all on stage—if you look closely you might catch him weeping during a drum solo.

tumblr_nqtgnsVStJ1u3akyno1_1280.jpg

The bass player is the group’s oldest member. He’s one cool customer who doesn’t show much emotion, but make no mistake, he’s the backbone of this band. He’s always the first one at soundcheck, and the last one to leave the stage at the end of the encore.

tumblr_nqtglxHFI81u3akyno1_1280.jpg

The keyboardist is the group’s only girl. The melodies she weaves reveal a foundation in deep-sea squid funk that’s truly on another level.

tumblr_nqtgk8jD8x1u3akyno1_1280.jpg

This guy handles lead vocals and guitar in the Squid Squad, and he writes most of the music and lyrics, too. Welll, he never actually learned to read music, but he’s got a gift for rippin’ phat guitar riffs, and most importantly he’s got that rockstar charm to inspire the other members to greatness.

tumblr_nqtgh2AYwy1u3akyno1_1280.jpg

This group of squid punks is the Squid Squad. They’re one of Inkopolis’s hottest acts, and their tracks can be heard as background music during many of the Inkling Turf Wars. Sadly, their shows sell out instantly and they’re always being mobbed by fans, so they don’t make public appearances very often.

http://splatoonus.tumblr.com/

9 for me. Easily. Still a long way to go though, making all modes for friends play, all the promised updates. Love the gsme, groundbreaking game, console defining gsme and its only going to get better!

I'm hoping the new modes will also come in unranked as well eventually. Maybe they just want to encourage more people to try ranked modes.

I didn't realise painting was so much fun, but having played ranked modes I guess that is the main difference - ranked kinda leans more heavily on splatting the enemy than the regular mode.

in regular mode, even with a poor team, it is occassionally possible to slip behind enemy lines and cheerfully paint a quiet spot while your team keep the enemy occupied back at base.

In ranked you have to converge on a single point or two so the emphasis does go back to taking out the enemy. If your team don't support you enough then you lose (the match, rank AND normally points)

I actually think the sole solution to ranked as it plays right now is communication. so that you can talk to your team, tell them what you need from them.

The other would be to find some way of levelling the playing field.

maybe having the splat zones in random places, so if a splat zone is neutralised it goes to another location (a little closer to the currently losing team or something?). As it stands skatepark = race to the tower, camping on/around the tower, sniping any players who get close. Or just plain dull and predicatable.

also they have set it to all bases needing to be held for the counter to tick down... I would prefer it if 1/2 the bases being held would mean the counter would go down half as quickly... not that hard to code.

As I said, ranked mode has to have a voice chat to be played effective enough.

Um... I thought tower control would be another playable ranked mode... not the only ranked mode available : /

Played one game, won so I'm happy enough... I think the tower control mode is a bit more fun tbh, but would still like splat zones to be available. Having two modes apparently in rotation as well as just the maps I think is a step too far,I want to know what I'm getting when I boot up the game.. If splat zones was the mode I preferred.. and I hated tower control.. I'd be more than a little annoyed now!

kinda meh as it is, but a replacement mode isn't half as interesting as a full new mode :(

Um... I thought tower control would be another playable ranked mode... not the only ranked mode available : /

Played one game, won so I'm happy enough... I think the tower control mode is a bit more fun tbh, but would still like splat zones to be available. Having two modes apparently in rotation as well as just the maps I think is a step too far,I want to know what I'm getting when I boot up the game.. If splat zones was the mode I preferred.. and I hated tower control.. I'd be more than a little annoyed now!

kinda meh as it is, but a replacement mode isn't half as interesting as a full new mode :(

They'll rotate the modes, like the stages.

Hopefully, when friend stuff comes next month, we can decide which mode to play.

I didn't realise Tower Control and Splat Zones were done in rotation. That's pants. Maybe there's hardly enough people playing ranked mode as is that a split would make it harder to find a match. So if you want to play one or the other mode, you might have to wait 4 hours? You've got to seriously question Nintendo's logic at times.

Edited by Rummy

I played some too earlier and and quite liked the Tower Control game. As has been said, I do hope that there are more options on what we can play in the big update coming. I want to be able to chose what game I want to play with friends not rely on just Turf Wars or Splat Zones/Tower Control.

if it's due to not enough people why not have both modes... 2 maps, 2 modes. So each match it could be one of four possibilities (map1 mode1, map1 mode2, map2 mode1 or map2 mode2).

Surely?? with 1 million players I would have thought there would be 60 odd players per mode, even with 3 modes being available (I've never found the wait to be any longer in ranked matches)

Tower Control is good fun. It's a nice change to the usual Turf Wars. It's just a shame about the rotation setup.

someone asked about spykes slots... 30k per slot, so 30k makes a 1 slot item a 2 slot item. (needing 3k to unlock the ability.)

I presume it makes most sense to add one slot at a time, as the second slot of a 3 slot piece of equipment needs more points to unlock..

Anyway, decided to try to upgrade a pair of shoes more to my liking, since the updates my old set have lost their appeal :D

When you buy more spots, can you choose what ability you will get, or is it still random?

Saltspray Rig in Tower Control is $h1t. It can be over in about 20-25 seconds. I died once at the start and it was over before I even respawned. It's as bad as a Battle Mode track in Mario Kart 8. Kelp Dome though is very good. There's lots going on in that level.

Edited by Wii

Fuck me they're rotating ranked modes... how often? What are nintendo thinking with this game. They're in serious danger of ruining it!!

Fuck me they're rotating ranked modes... how often? What are nintendo thinking with this game. They're in serious danger of ruining it!!

I'd imagine every 4 hours. It's been on for the whole day just because it's new and to give everybody a chance to get used to it but it'll probably start changing at 3a.m., the time it was unlocked at.

They do rotate it from the start. I actually like it as it really change the way you have to play it.

I didn't have time to change the ranked modes and will not have it till sunday probably.