NEurope
Retro_Link

Splatoon

Their point on having 2 maps, it wouldn't be an issue if they let us change gear in lobbies.

Wait... what? Where is the logic in this? If the map was chosen at random between all 8(-14) available ones, then allowing gear changes in lobbies wouldn't help anything. People would definitely just opt for the "best" loadouts just like Amano said.

The ideal solution would be allowing to change your load out while displaying the "next map" on the screen.

I think doing that would come with its own set of problems, though:

1) They'd have to increase the time between rounds to give people time to change gear. I'm quite happy with it only taking 10-15 seconds from the end of one match to the start of the next.

2) You'd still end up with the problem of people just picking the best gear, only this time they'd pick the best gear for each individual map, which would be even worse.

3) ...I like not knowing exactly which map is coming up. :(

I'd rather things just stay the way they are now.

I think doing that would come with its own set of problems, though:

1) They'd have to increase the time between rounds to give people time to change gear. I'm quite happy with it only taking 10-15 seconds from the end of one match to the start of the next.

2) You'd still end up with the problem of people just picking the best gear, only this time they'd pick the best gear for each individual map, which would be even worse.

3) ...I like not knowing exactly which map is coming up. :(

I'd rather things just stay the way they are now.

What are you on about, that's not what he's saying it AT ALL. He's saying having 2 maps ALLOWS you to pick the best gear for the map, but if it could be any then people would go for the best all round gear... Literally the opposite of what you're saying!

I think it's essential, the 2 maps gets dull so quickly. At worst make it 3, make it acutely rotate (same map 10 times is not uncommon) and make it change every hour.

As for changing wepaons/gear, just have it so you can save 5 loadouts, then you can quickly change when the map is selected. Perfect.

What are you on about, that's not what he's saying it AT ALL. He's saying having 2 maps ALLOWS you to pick the best gear for the map, but if it could be any then people would go for the best all round gear...

I know, which is why I think the balance they have now is really good - you know which maps to expect, but you don't know exactly which map you're ending up in. Telling you which map is coming up would be just as bad as having the map selection be completely random.

I'm sick of seeing those annoying Squid girls every 4 hours or whenever I load up the game. The way he talked in the interview, implies that it will switch to a 3 stage rotation. The game is full of little annoyances like the not being able to back out of a match, changing weapons without backing out, being screwed if a player drops out, not knowing the mathematical stats of choosing equipment and stacking, playing the same stage 5 times in a row. All things that could be fixed with a patch.

I started the single player today and blasted through it. A couple nice levels in there and the final boss fight was great! The rest though wasn't all that great, pretty run of the mill stuff.

Still, got all the scrolls so I've unlocked more weapons. After adding slots to gear though I'm short on cash!

I know, which is why I think the balance they have now is really good - you know which maps to expect, but you don't know exactly which map you're ending up in. Telling you which map is coming up would be just as bad as having the map selection be completely random.

You're not making much sense to be honest, but I think I know how you feel. I think you're in the minority. Doesn't make any sense whatsoever to me, and playing the game it is very frustrating and brings a little shallowness to a play sessions as you're just doing the same level over an dover and over.

I really don't think there's any negative to just having all maps completely random, it would make the experience infinitely more "fresh"; if they're concerned about people using the all rounder weapon (which I don't think would happen anyway) then they should add in what should already be in there with the loudouts.

One of my biggest niggles with the game... Second to not being able to play splat zones with friends...

That Spyke must have some massive drug habit to feed. You'd think with the astronomical prices he charges for gear he'd at least be able to get off the streets.

sig-3804779.WiiU_Splatoon_050715_screen_04_Spyke.jpg

"Hey man! D'you wanna buy some slugs? I got the best weed minus seas."

Edited by Wii

I think the matchmaking policy is weird? But it explains a LOT!

Like why I never seem to be on @Pestneb 's side(and he keeps splatting me)! Or how I always seem to be against the weirdly co-ordinated team who don't even paint their base but keep my 'crap' team pinned down and murdered!

Why wouldn't they mix up play styles for a more even game?

I agree the match making policy is weird, not really sure what they think my style is but I would prefer having other tactics on display in my team... it's one of the things I enjoyed earlier on, seeing different tactics and being able to mimic them.

Also explains why often I see teams with a bunch of long range weapons with no long ranged weapons on my team... I think it unbalances the game, if you have a bunch of snipers working together they can be a lot more effective than if they potentially don't have support from their team mates (with one or two going forward and getting splatted... allowing the enemy to get round behind the snipers).

Hopefully they'll sort it out. Or.. maybe release friend modes a bit sooner!

I think the matchmaking policy is weird? But it explains a LOT!

Like why I never seem to be on @Pestneb 's side(and he keeps splatting me)!

A few days ago cube and yourself were playing and I had both of you on my team at one point or another.

I wonder how strongly they match teams together, if they still leave a bit of random in there?

Tower Control is unlocked 2nd July.

EDIT: It seems like it's locked behind Ranked Battles at the moment. Well, that's me not playing it then.

Edited by Hero-of-Time

Shame, I'll still have a go at it.

It's so silly making it ranked only. Let us have them in regular modes too!!

Thry should match up the teams so that different style are on it, it would be more fun and brings more variety....

Won't deny my excitement for a new mode is pretty much killed by it being ranked only with no option to play with friends.

I like how you can tell which parts they redid for the EU trailer based on the T-shirts.

What is up with nintendo...? They're killing the buzz of new modes... So frustrsting. Doesn't mske any sense! Fucking idiots!

What is up with nintendo...? They're killing the buzz of new modes... So frustrsting. Doesn't mske any sense! Fucking idiots!

This reads so well against your adorable avatar :p

This reads so well against your adorable avatar :p

Haha, he's an angry little pug!

So of 3 game modes you can only play 1 with friends... Nintendo are fucking awful at multiplayer these days. They used to be king of multiplayer.

This game should, and could (quite easily I'll add), be sooooo much better!

Nintendo Treehouse: Live with Splatoon Tower Control

Really cool cover of Splatoon's main theme tune.

~Splatoon Theme "Splattack!" with band~

Splatoon update version 1.3.0 is now available.

[TWEET]616050839057100800[/TWEET]

Off I go to check it out.

The update is 44MB in size. You have to start the game, go to the lobby. There it'll tell you to go back to the Wii U main menu and restart. Then it'll download.

I did the update but it says the servers are down for maintenance. I'd guess they'll be back up and running at 3a.m. ready for the next switch over of stages.

It's up and running in the past few minutes.

Edited by Wii
Automerged Doublepost

EDGE have reviewed this game and given it a 9. I don't agree, I think it's a 7.