NEurope
Retro_Link

Splatoon

Japan generally hate shooters, so it's truly amazing that this has done so well over there.

It appears that Nintendo have cracked how to do a shooter that Japan would like.

Who would have thought that all it took was kids and tentacles?

Wii U has performed worst in Europe hasn't it? France and Germany it is better but in the UK Wii u is a ghost.

France, yes Wii U is doing very well there. Germany I don't know about. UK is tumbleweed territory alright.

Amazing, isn't it?

Japan generally hate shooters, so it's truly amazing that this has done so well over there.

It appears that Nintendo have cracked how to do a shooter that Japan would like.

They didn't do a shooter I liked though. That still goes to Resi Evil 4 Wii Edition.

Give the Japanese the opportunity to torture marine life and they'll jump at it. :heh:

Edited by Wii
Automerged Doublepost

Who would have thought that all it took was kids and tentacles?

Give the Japanese the opportunity to torture marine life and they'll jump at it. :heh:

13466429.gif

How about you go have a pint of Guinness, @Wii?

SEE!? NOT SO NICE, HUH!?

Edited by Glen-i

How about you go have a pint of Guinness, @Wii?

SEE!? NOT SO NICE, HUH!?

You're right. Guinness isn't nice.

You're right. Guinness isn't nice.

Yeah, that was the general opinion I got from most of the people I met while I lived in Ireland.

Now don't get me wrong, Portumna in Ireland is full of many, many, many drunkards. But when they live in the middle of nowhere, I don't blame them one bit.

I almost went mad living there...

Leave me and my sheep alone!

Nope, I'm not touching that one...

Yeah, that was the general opinion I got from most of the people I met while I lived in Ireland.

Now don't get me wrong, Portumna in Ireland is full of many, many, many drunkards. But when they live in the middle of nowhere, I don't blame them one bit.

I almost went mad living there...

Living in the sticks isn't the best place to get a good impression of Ireland. I wouldn't want to live in Portumna either. Guinness is very popular. I just don't like it myself. But yes Ireland is full of many, many, many drunkards.

Now back to the game. While the sales are good, I hope Nintendo don't take this as a message that we don't care about voice chat. I said I was buying it to support a new franchise and that I'd like to see more risk taking. I said I'd voice my disquiet on Miiverse but never did. So off I go to Miiverse and on the day they've changed the rules.

Whenever I've been across to Portugal, their entertainment stores seem to carry way more Wii U stuff than any UK one I've ever been into. They have extended batteries on the shelves, pretty much all games, controllers - it's a massive contrast to our sad state of affairs. It was actually a bit depressing.

Unsurprisingly Japan is still king - I'm not surprised Splatoon has done so well in Japan, there was a lot of buzz for it when I was there. Not to mention loads of fanart leading unto the release of the game. There were always people standing around the trailers showing in Yodobashi and other electronics stores and the Japanese online population for the game also seems pretty large - it's pretty rare these days to play without a Japanese player.

One thing that must be true with the honest trailers video is that 90% of people that play this are awful... I got it this afternoon and have been completely owning almost every game. Scores ranging from 1000-1500 and top of the team almost every time.

That Bubbler though, it is a beast special. Can't wait to hook up with you guys on Skype and dominate the opposition.

Still desperately needs voice-chat and partying up with friends though... and class slots, more maps on rotation, changing class set-ups in game and in lobbies etc etc.

Something is wrong today, I am getting high numbers even if I play badly.

Maybe it's because I have played in the afternoon and there are better players during the night (my time zone).

But this only goes for regular battles, while ranked battles were harder after a while.

If there's one thing that's really annoying me with this (other than the lack of voice chat and partying up) it's that you have to back out of lobbies to bloody switch weapons! ARGH!!!

I hate the motion controls using the gamepad in this game. I want to use a Wii remote and nunchuk. And for those buying Starfox when it comes out, the controls are supposed to be infinitely more frustrating.

Incoming video.

Sploosh-o-matic Range/Ink Usage Test (Unreleased Weapon)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPKyS4Ds1FY

I hate the motion controls using the gamepad in this game. I want to use a Wii remote and nunchuk. And for those buying Starfox when it comes out, the controls are supposed to be infinitely more frustrating..

In fairness, I usually find that Nintendo get the controls for their games pretty spot on most of the time :hehe: It's the people holding the controller that are generally the problem.. :heh:

In fairness, I usually find that Nintendo get the controls for their games pretty spot on most of the time :hehe: It's the people holding the controller that are generally the problem.. :heh:

I'm not the problem. The controls aren't right, they're way too cumbersome. They're not broken but neither are they perfect. The Wii remote and nunchuk was perfect for shooters.

Really? I've never had any problems with the motion controls in Splatoon, and wouldn't hesitate a second to call them 100% perfect.

I'm not the problem. The controls aren't right, they're way too cumbersome. They're not broken but neither are they perfect. The Wii remote and nunchuk was perfect for shooters.

There are many times when I wish the Wii U did still have the Wii Remote and Nunchuk as it's primary control scheme but I still find the controls in Splatoon to be pretty good :smile:

I've never really been a fan of dual analogue controls in shooters and find that the motion controls actually help make things feel better for me. I was trying to move the Wavebird around the other night when playing Starfox Assault :grin:

I finished the single player this morning :grin:

The last few levels seemed a little short compared to some that came previously but the final boss more than made up for that. IT WAS AWESOME :yay:

I genuinely consider it one of the most fun battles I've ever had in a game and it was such a great way to end Splatoon :hehe: The music certainly helped, too :hehe:

Had some great games with @kav82 last night. Spent nearly 2 hours online and other than one dodgy game with a bad connection, it was pretty much flawless fun.

Despite often ending up on the same team, we had a real laugh.

I do echo the annoyance at the lack of voice chat, it makes the game so much better when you can chat with your team and your friends.

The weird thing is, when you play COD, you can often do so as a loner. But Splatoon is a real team based effort and needs coordination.

It's amazing what Nintendo have pulled off considering it's their first shooter. But then hampering it with a lack of communication in a team based game is baffling.

All the other problems really pale into comparison compared to this. There is literally no reason as to why you can't talk to people and it hurts the game.

Thankfully, we just chatted on the phone.

Yes, I would like to echo this. I am loving the game, to the extent that it is within my top two Wii U games, but every time I have played online it is with phone VC to my mates.

I just joined the crowd who have completed the Hero Mode.

I think that might have been the best final boss + credits in video gaming history. Further cemented this game into its spot as my top GOTY 2015 candidate.

In Japan, Famitsu are holding a Splatoon: Squid Fashion Contest. The idea is to design a full set of gear:- headgear, clothes, and shoes.

l_555c43770edb4.jpg

l_555b169c5c8bd.jpg

The winning entrants will have their designs included in a future update of the game. The competition closes on June 11th and the winners chosen later that month.

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201505/21078513.html

It would be nice if we have an equivalent competition in Europe. We will afterall most likely buy more copies of the game than Japan.

The competition winner has been announced.

558a6d9a8da74.jpg

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201506/25081658.html

As it stands the costume is for Japan only.

There's more runner-up costumes at the link above. They get signed posters from the developers.

Edited by Wii

European Splatfest starts at 6PM on the 4th July.

The topic is Rock Vs Pop

Nff4gGK.jpg