NEurope
Retro_Link

Splatoon

Is it me or is the shield TOO powerful? Saving it up, doing your stuff and then whacking your shield on whenever anyone turns up?!?!

It's all about timing and what you want to do in a match. If you use them right then most abilities are useful. You also have to remember that the shield is limited to only a couple of weapons, luckily I enjoy using the standard gun. :D

The Kraken ability also acts a bit like a shield as well, which is why i'm gonna try the roller out and see how I fare with that, now that i'm not fussed about XP.

Yeah, and keep in mind the bubble has the drawback of severely reducing your traction. I shared it with some teamates the other day on the mall stage, and two of them got pushed off the stage as a result! :woops:

I was like "whoops, my bad!" :laughing:

The Kraken ability also acts a bit like a shield as well, which is why i'm gonna try the roller out and see how I fare with that, now that i'm not fussed about XP.
Tried it out last night when I switched to the roller, it's pretty good. Getting splats is a bit tricky though, and it doesn't last very long. The fact you're invincible and still covering turf is cool though. :)

Tried it out last night when I switched to the roller, it's pretty good. Getting splats is a bit tricky though, and it doesn't last very long. The fact you're invincible and still covering turf is cool though. :)

I'll probably be using it as a get out of jail free card. If i'm in trouble and need to regroup then I think it will come in handy.

Is it me or is the shield TOO powerful? Saving it up, doing your stuff and then whacking your shield on whenever anyone turns up?!?!

Feel like they need to power up the other weapons more!!

Depends on the situation, the Kraken gives you a shield, speed and ink spreading along with a weapon. The air strike lets you take terrain way out of reach of your team. All the specials are over powered really, that's the idea! but yeah, I like the shield my self!

It makes me feel bad that I almost didn't pick Splatoon up right away :red: It was only a superb deal on TheGameCollection that tempted me into taking the plunge.. and I'm so glad I did :yay:

Whether you win, or lose, it's such a fun game to play and I'm actually enjoying the fact that teams switch around for every battle. When I see one of you guys on my team, I feel like we're in for a good round. When you're in the other team, there's the satisfaction of taking each other out in the most hilarious ways possible :grin:

Splatoon isn't without it's drawbacks but when people get excited about the possibility of new Nintendo IP, Splatoon is exactly what people are hoping for. It's one of the most refreshing things I've played in years.

Splat Zones is fantastic, but there are times when I'm not entirely sure how it works. Sometimes we end up with an extra number under our main counter we have to tick down before our main counter resumes... and other times we've smothered the zones in our Ink and they don't capture? Love the addition, really mixes things up, but fairly confused right now...

Do you need to hold the zones for the amount of time shown under the main counter before the counter starts decreasing again?

Really looking forward to playing Splat Zones tonight. Does it play very differently? Nice to freshen things up!

Depends on the situation, the Kraken gives you a shield, speed and ink spreading along with a weapon. The air strike lets you take terrain way out of reach of your team. All the specials are over powered really, that's the idea! but yeah, I like the shield my self!

The air strike can also be used in the final seconds and the game waits for it to "explode" and spread ink before calculating the scores.

My tactic if I see a shield: jump somewhere else. Most people don't realise that you can do it from anywhere, not just the spawn point.

Also, something I realised: Spyke is an evolved form of an urchin.

Essentially: he's a street urchin.

Annoying that you cannot join friends in ranked battles:

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2015/06/hands_on_checking_out_splatoons_freshly_unlocked_ranked_battle_mode

It should be made clear that you cannot join a friend's game in this mode due to the ranked nature of the setup, so you're largely at the mercy of your randomly assigned teammates. Luckily because the zone(s) are fairly small it often doesn't take much to have a big impact on how a match pans out, so as long you're properly equipped you can easily pull your weight and tip the balance in your favour.

I have a horrible feeling that they'll start rotating the modes at some point, too. So Turf Wars will be ranked and Splat Zones will be normal.

Some of the stages are a bit different too, the mall one in particular gives a couple of extra direct routes to the spawn point

Well there goes my hype for this mode. Methinks I will be sticking to Turf Wars then.

splat zones works more like a traditional shooter imo, the ink aspect adds a little bit of strategy, but it doesn't feel as fresh as turf wars.

It may put friends together when they are similar ranks... I would hope so, although looking at turf war I don't hold out too much hope for it.

It's a lot less forgiving than turf wars too, if your team really aren't up to the job you can leave with 0 points, no matter how well you did as an individual. At least in turf war if you worked hard you get a reward.

I had some great Turf Wars with @Stéphane this afternoon :hehe:

Thankfully, we seemed to be on the same team most of the time.. and were pretty unstoppable when we were :grin: It was always much tougher when I was against him, but I enjoyed the combat : peace:

I had my best match today too..

temporary_zps8qncdvsu.jpg

The picture is a little blurry as I had to capture it quickly but this is probably as good as it'll ever get for me :heh:1338p - 7 Kills - 0 Deaths

Reached Level 10 too but with work looming at 4pm, I'll wait until tomorrow to try out Ranked Battles!

Man, this game is so addictive.

I don't know how they could solve it, but it's really frustrating when you have a disconnection on your team. It basically gives you no chance of winning. I just got 950p, but because there was only 3 of us we lost by something like 70%-20%!

It's also strange when you see Level 18s scoring only 400p in a match - if they're that poor they must have played an awful lot of this game to reach that level!

I had some great Turf Wars with @Stéphane this afternoon :hehe:

Who is this? I felt like I was being stalked by said person during yesterdays matches. Needless to say I took great pleasure when I got a splat on them! :D

I can' believe you can't play Splat Zones with friends, what the fuck do Nintendo think about when they make these stupid decisions?! They're so weird!!! I really hope they fix all the issues!!

man I am terrible in ranked mode, I think i'm going to get some more practice in normal mode and come back when I'm level 20.

On turf war does painting all the walls have any effect on the scoring ? Seems that it's based on the floor rather than the nooks and crannies ?

My favourite end score so far was 1111p with 11 kills and 0 deaths :D Although I would have preferred 1 death too.

Who is this? I felt like I was being stalked by said person during yesterdays matches. Needless to say I took great pleasure when I got a splat on them! :D

It's me... I am pretty set in my ways, I have a couple of preferred routes on most maps... but when you were on the opposing team you always seemed to be there, waiting :shakehead

It felt like you had a vendetta against me!

I think it was you getting me more than the other way round. But I won't deny enjoying the rare occasions that I was the last squid standing!

On turf war does painting all the walls have any effect on the scoring ? Seems that it's based on the floor rather than the nooks and crannies ?

Yeah it's just floor, I think the curved wall/floor bits also count.

Edited by Pestneb
Automerged Doublepost

Jesus, I was considering picking this up on the cheap pre-owned but Nintendo keep taking steps backwards with online and are almost putting me off completely... it all sounds awful!

I think I'll see if they address the multitude of problems after the August update.

Online may be backwards, but what is there is super fun.