NEurope
Retro_Link

Splatoon

Amazon let me down for launch day. Walked into Grainger Games this morning for Amiibo -- they didn't have any other than. squids. But got their only Special Edition. It's sweet.

May still keep my Amazon Special Edition on order too...

Got my copy this morning and played some single player, but every online game 'i've joined so far has disconnected me half way though. I'm assuming thats just day 1 teething problems on Nintendo's part and not my connection as Mario Kart 8 is working fine. And anything I'm playing on Steam.

I did consider it, but then it's also quite easy for us to underestimate the intelligence of kids. Having seen my 9 year old niece this weekend for like the second time in my life, and considering who/where I was when I was 10, I can't say it's all too crazy for someone of that age?

So I'll come out and say it.

I was partly wrong in my initial judgement of this.

I say partly because while it's pretty good, I was correct not to buy it due to it's heavy focus on online multiplayer, it would just be a waste.

And to me, the game isn't that amazing. It's fun, but I could see myself getting bored very quickly. It doesn't grab me like Smash or Mario Kart.

But credit where credit is due. This is a valiant new IP and I wish it all the best, but this doesn't even come close to being considered for my GOTY 2015.

So I'll come out and say it.

I was partly wrong in my initial judgement of this.

I say partly because while it's pretty good, I was correct not to buy it due to it's heavy focus on online multiplayer, it would just be a waste.

And to me, the game isn't that amazing. It's fun, but I could see myself getting bored very quickly. It doesn't grab me like Smash or Mario Kart.

But credit where credit is due. This is a valiant new IP and I wish it all the best, but this doesn't even come close to being considered for my GOTY 2015.

Mario Party 10 or Mario vs Donkey Kong: Tipping Stars are the clear favourites for that award though let's not rule out Projects Humpty and Dumpty just yet.

Played a few more games and had some matches where I did really well, including one where I had 13 kills and one death - at one point I took out the entire other team in around 6 seconds.

Some of my perks seem to work really well - increased run speed, increased swim speed and ninja squid. Makes for getting about really good. Also, I love spraying and jumping along the splodges.

Mario Party 10 or Mario vs Donkey Kong: Tipping Stars are the clear favourites for that award though let's not rule out Projects Humpty and Dumpty just yet.

Oh, ha ha ha! Aren't we painfully witty?

I think Puzzle and Dragons Z is a better game than Splatoon.

And you know what? That's OK.

For the record, Mario Party 10 has given me more entertainment and M Vs DK doesn't interest me one bit.

You don't know me at all!

After just over 7 hours of playtime (including tons of messing around in the plaza and a Hero Mode mission), I've hit level 10, and I can definitely say that this is the best action shooter I've ever played. It's so much fun!

I'm level 10 too, when can we splat zones? Really can't wait for the continued updates. More than enough to be getting on with, the multiplayer is like smack, and the single player is great. And I know @Wii want like to hear it but the amiibo stuff is really really good!

tumblr_np4rdmCYbx1u3akyno1_1280.jpg

Ranked Battles are objective-based game modes that only the freshest squids can handle. You’ll earn the right to join in the fun once you’ve reached level 10, but there’s also a global condition that must be met—Ranked Battles won’t be unlocked until enough players around the world have reached level 10!

http://splatoonus.tumblr.com/post/120213746484/ranked-battles-are-objective-based-game-modes-that

tumblr_np4rfjlUYH1u3akyno1_500.jpg

Players with mad squid skills will want to jump into Ranked Battles as soon as possible, but they’ll need to wait until enough players worldwide have reached level 10. I’ve got an inkling that we’ll see regular updates on the progress of this meter. With all the skilled splatterers out there, I don’t think it will take long.

http://splatoonus.tumblr.com/post/120213828004/players-with-mad-squid-skills-will-want-to-jump

A couple of more big site reviews updated now with their score.

IGN - 7.9/10

GameInformer - 7.75/10

Edited by Wii
Automerged Doublepost

He doesn't like shooters at all. For him to actually enjoy Splatoon is a BIG deal!

Same with me, but to a lesser extent. There aren't many shooters that I do like (basically just the classics like Doom, Quake, Perfect Dark, Goldeneye or Timesplitters), but Splatoon is definately one of them! :D

Also this year has had Captain Toad, Majora's Mask 3D, MH4U, Xenoblade 3D, Codename S.T.E.A.M, Shantae & The Pirate's Curse, Affordable Space Adventures, Kirby & The Rainbow Curse and P&DZ as major titles on Nintendo platforms alone this year alongside MP10, so there's some pretty decent competition here.

How does the score get worked out at the end? Purely on turf covered? Don't think its a great way of judging your contribution personally.

Also. Charger. Is it truly awful and borderline useful or what?

I don't think it's such a bad system - When you are face to face with the other team it is fairly hard not to spread ink, even if it is immediately covered back up!

How does the score get worked out at the end? Purely on turf covered? Don't think its a great way of judging your contribution personally.

Also. Charger. Is it truly awful and borderline useful or what?

You score points for both killing and covering ground but it's obviously easier to cover ground to nab points. Killing is useful for pushing the opposition further and further back, which is where the charger comes in. You can't cover much ground with it but you can push the other team back quite well. Welsh Gamer is a dab hand with it.

Me and RedShell are on now if peeps want to join us.

It's amazing how quickly games can turn around.

Also, I'm pretty sure the game doesn't want me and @Hero\-of\-Time on the same team.

It's amazing how quickly games can turn around.

Also, I'm pretty sure the game doesn't want me and @Hero\-of\-Time on the same team.

Haha. True. We've had a couple of games now though.

I love it when we all get teamed up. We totally dominate! :D

Had a really great tit-for-tat shootout with someone for control of one of the central ramps on Urchin Underpass. Both of us were ducking out from our respective corners, firing a few shots away, chucking a few grenades. Advantage went one way and then the other. I held out for long enough until a team-mate had gotten round behind and took them out, and then we pressed on for the win. Very satisfying!

Oh boy, the squid amiibo levels are brilliant. Absolutely love the amiibo usages in this game. So so good!!!

Now let all amiibo be used and give me pikmin tshrts and a Fludd gun!!

Edited by dazzybee

I want the other challenges, but I don't want to pay the cost of the other Amiibo. I don't mind having the Inkling Girl Amiibo because I really like the design.

Although one thing I have noticed: I don't get angry or feel disappointed when I lose. It's still a lot of fun. And it always feels like a comeback is possible. Losing massively until the last minute and scraping a win is awesome.

Edited by Cube

Come on Postie, don't fail me now!

He, he failed me... now I won't get it until Monday at the earliest! :(