NEurope
Retro_Link

Splatoon

Next week! :yay:
Yep, awesome stuff. :bouncy:

Lucky Americans get a free squirt gun when they buy the game at Target. Now that's a proper bonus.

CFS51DfWYAE8ii1.jpg

Surprising how the game is costing them more over there though! :o

Not really been following prices recently, but aren't we usually the ones paying more for games? :heh:

That gun is a bit pants TBH. I much prefer the t-shirt or hat that we are getting over here.

See I think the hat is pants. As bad as the Mario hat.

That gun is a bit pants TBH. I much prefer the t-shirt or hat that we are getting over here.

Yeah, but then again, Americans do love their guns, don't they? :grin:

That gun is probably something Target already sell. They're just printing a sticker on it.

T-shirt or hat...

That gun is probably something Target already sell. They're just printing a sticker on it.

Yeah. Is that even modeled on an in-game gun? Just looks like generic trash you could pick up for a quid at the market.

I thought that maybe too so I checked and they're not.

Splatoon's Motion Controls are a NECESSITY

Video: We Tackle The Dual-Stick vs. Motion Controls Splatoon Debate

Twin-stick it to the man

One of the more divisive aspects of Nintendo's upcoming ink-em-up Splatoon is the integration of motion controls into the core gameplay. Considering shooters have been comfortable with simply using two analogue sticks simultaneously to move and aim this addition initially seemed a little gimmicky and unnecessary to many.

After getting to grips with the Global Testfire demo some fans were still clamouring for Wii U Pro Controller support or at the very least a way to turn off the motion controls that they couldn't wrap their heads around. The Wii U Pro Controller is not supported in the game – bar the 1v1 local multiplayer – but the ability to turn off these motion controls is, so how does the game perform without them?

Check out the video below where we look into the practicalities of each method of control and ultimately come to a conclusion as to which is superior.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2015/05/video_we_tackle_the_dual-stick_vs_motion_controls_splatoon_debate

Alex is no stranger to strong opinions, and when it comes to motion controls he's waggling crazy. Do we really need motion controls in Splatoon? He thinks so!

Edited by Wii
Automerged Doublepost

I thought that maybe too so I checked and they're not.

Splatoon's Motion Controls are a NECESSITY

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2015/05/video_we_tackle_the_dual-stick_vs_motion_controls_splatoon_debate

So the motion controls are more precise - pretty much what I expected.

The motion controls in the Wii COD games made them so much faster and allowed for a higher level of precision too.

I'm happy both control styles are in there, as I'm sure some people will want to play with just dual analog, but I think the motion control players will have the edge in the online games!

Dual analog all the way for me. It's less precise but I find it more relaxing and less fiddly. I was very happy to see I could turn them off during the beta/demo. I was worried I would be forced to use them. :shakehead

Have to agree with that video (I've actually played a lot of online matches with/against him!) I didn't like the motion controls at first, switched to dual analogue, but they are more clunky, and I was constantly losing out in battle. Got used to aiming with the gamepad and my performance has improved immensely. With the more fluid movement than a conventional shooter, it really is important that you're able to track your target moving through the ink accurately. Aiming with the sticks is just too slow.

Tried Splat Zones for the first time last night. Wasn't particularly a fan. Maybe it needs to grow on me, but there's one map in particular where it just doesn't work.

Anyone fancy doing an Amiibo share?

It's really sucky of Nintendo to lock so much content with the amiibos , so who would be up for loaning each other amiibos so we can unlock the content and mini games and then pass them on , I might be getting the squid or girl character Amiibo

It's really sucky of Nintendo to lock so much content with the amiibos , so who would be up for loaning each other amiibos so we can unlock the content and mini games and then pass them on , I might be getting the squid or girl character Amiibo

Nice idea, don't see it working out somehow though...

3KjBXEo.jpg

:laughing:

What I meant was if we get 3 people who buy either boy girl or squid each ,

We simply unlock the content then pass it on to the next person , while they send you theirs. Do full circle and eventually we all get all the content unlocked and our original Amiibo back .

Save us potentially £30 each

I thought you were collecting all the Amiibo?

I am but I don't open them :p

I would be willing to open 1 and buy an extra on this occasion

God that guy is atrocious!!!

As for motion or not, hard to say, I tried both, both seemed fine to me. I wish you could just have both, so right stick moves up and down too. I'll probably go motion, but we'll see.

Shame you don't like Splat Zones @Mr\-Paul think the mode looks great, what don't you like about it?

Splattershot Weapon Trailer

Interesting Japanese Twitter pictures today.

CFXDFQ7UUAAT512.jpg

CFXDTUiUUAArEzy.jpg

CFXDxl6UEAAX9i_.jpg

The disturbing affects of Nintendo's Splatoon advertising.

Squid Now - A Splatoon short film

Edited by Wii
Automerged Doublepost

God that guy is atrocious!!!

As for motion or not, hard to say, I tried both, both seemed fine to me. I wish you could just have both, so right stick moves up and down too. I'll probably go motion, but we'll see.

Shame you don't like Splat Zones @Mr\-Paul think the mode looks great, what don't you like about it?

1) It's less fun fighting over one small part of the map rather than the whole thing.

2) Certain maps are hard to claim back once the enemy has claimed it - either you have a long slog back to the splat zone, or you teleport back and are immediately ambushed by the waiting enemy. One of the maps there are two zones, so it's a lot more balanced, but point 1 still applies.

3) It requires more teamwork. Which is tricky to achieve without any sort of communication or voice chat. You could co-ordinate your attack on a splat zone, warn others of incoming enemies etc. As it is, it's too random. And as it is a ranked mode, you're relying too much on what others are doing, which you have no influence on because you can't communicate with them, to determine whether your rank goes up or down. You could be an excellent player, but randomly assigned to a team with no clue, so your rank won't rise at all.

I'll play it some more to see if my feelings about it improve, but as it is, Turf Wars is a lot more dynamic and fun.

1) It's less fun fighting over one small part of the map rather than the whole thing.

2) Certain maps are hard to claim back once the enemy has claimed it - either you have a long slog back to the splat zone, or you teleport back and are immediately ambushed by the waiting enemy. One of the maps there are two zones, so it's a lot more balanced, but point 1 still applies.

3) It requires more teamwork. Which is tricky to achieve without any sort of communication or voice chat. You could co-ordinate your attack on a splat zone, warn others of incoming enemies etc. As it is, it's too random. And as it is a ranked mode, you're relying too much on what others are doing, which you have no influence on because you can't communicate with them, to determine whether your rank goes up or down. You could be an excellent player, but randomly assigned to a team with no clue, so your rank won't rise at all.

I'll play it some more to see if my feelings about it improve, but as it is, Turf Wars is a lot more dynamic and fun.

Do you think it could be better in a Skype group? Is the lack of communication and tactics the most frustrating aspect as it makes it too random and hard?

Do you think it could be better in a Skype group? Is the lack of communication and tactics the most frustrating aspect as it makes it too random and hard?

It'd most definitely be better if you were skyping each other, but as it is, you can't team up with your friends until August anyway!

Here's an explanation of all the gear ability symbols.

1RX40li.png

Just looking round the internet to see if any site or publication has broken the review embargo. Unfortunately not. I did come across this though:

I know you said you don’t preview Early Access games on the principle that it has a ‘negative influence on gaming’. All very noble, but some these games are selling in their millions. You recently awarded Kerbal Space Program an 8/10 which came through Early Access, so there is obviously some good coming out it. I don’t deny that there is a whole lot of shady stuff going on but that freedom of choice lies with the customer, as I believe it should.

I really don’t see how this is any different to Nintendo’s Splatoon. The game is releasing this month unfinished, with only 5 multiplayer maps and a set of limited game modes, with the promise of more content added in the future. This has some obvious parallels with Steam’s Early Access, so when will you be reviewing Splatoon? This month or six months down the line when they actually finish the game?

Charles

GC: We don’t approve of what Nintendo is doing either. We wouldn’t say it had much in common with Early Access though, its lack of content is far stranger and more unnecessary than that – especially given there’s no release date it desperately needs to make. Frankly we don’t know what we’re going to do about the game going forward, but at launch we’ll simply review what’s there.

http://metro.co.uk/2015/05/14/games-inbox-splatoon-review-conundrum-assassins-creed-siblings-and-alien-isolation-2-5198186/

I think some reviews are going to take this stance and "simply review what’s there." They're not going to come back in a few months time and say, "Oh remember that game Splatoon? We'll here's our review score." They'll have moved on to the big games of the moment. And some consumers may be doing likewise.

Found this too. It made me laugh.

tumblr_nodikl1KoH1tacqv1o1_500.png

Edited by Wii
Automerged Doublepost

Nintendo To Showcase Splatoon At The 2015 MCM London Comic Con

At the 2015 MCM London Comic Con, Nintendo is set to host a series of multiplayer matches that showcase Wii U titles, featuring the new 200cc mode for Mario Kart 8, amiibo competitions on Super Smash Bros. for Wii U, and Splatoon multiplayer battles.

Guests can also get their hands on exclusive items and limited edition stock as the Official Nintendo UK Online Store returns to the show on 22nd to 24th May, at the Excel, Royal Victoria Docks, London. The Official Nintendo UK Online Store will be offering a wide assortment of goods on their stand including; New Nintendo 3DS cover plates, amiibo and the New Nintendo 3DS XL Majora’s Mask 3D bundle, which includes the limited edition Skull Kid figurine.

Also at the event this year, the highly acclaimed Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate will be available to play on New Nintendo 3DS and New Nintendo 3DS XL. Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate experts will be on hand to give live demonstrations of the game, run ‘Learn to Hunt’ sessions and give hints and tips.

It’s not just the community players who will be taking centre stage though, as Nintendo will also be hosting a number of multiplayer matches, trials and battles across the weekend, available for all to participate in.

This year the Nintendo exhibition stand will also encourage all attendees to StreetPass, so if you’re looking to meet new Mii characters, increase your StreetPass encounters, or complete achievements and challenges, then don’t forget to bring your New Nintendo 3DS, Nintendo 3DS and Nintendo 2DS systems.

The MCM London Comic Con event will take place from 22nd May until 24th May at Excel, Royal Victoria Docks, London . For more information visithttp://www.mcmcomiccon.com and register at the Nintendo Official UK Store for more updates and special offers.

http://mynintendonews.com/2015/05/20/nintendo-to-showcase-splatoon-at-the-2015-mcm-london-comic-con/

Yeah, I'm beginning to think this is going to get punished for the way it's being distributed... shame...