NEurope
Retro_Link

Splatoon

In fact, if anything, someone coming here to read about the Wii U, before an intended purchase; will quite probably be put off from buying one.

If they have any desire to chat to friends while playing then that would be the best option and we've done that person a service. :heh:

This is a pet peeve of mine. I find nothing more annoying, than people moaning and complaining about something, but not taking action and doing something about it.

There's some real irony here - people moaning about the people moaning, and not adding them to their ignore list!

I'm worried about voice chat, but at least there's a way round. I'm more worried about not being able to create a team and go online.... Worried in nintendos desire for simplicity you can join a friend but it's random teams... And voice chat like mario kart. Fine in private matches but non in worldwide

This is the kind of worry I would have.

If I want to voice chat, I can easily Skype a group from my phone. There is a simple and cost free work around.

I am more worried that I won't be able to form a party and search a game as a group.

Mario Kart 8's online options were seriously a step down from Mario Kart Wii's. In Mario Kart Wii you could all join up and search for a race as a group. In Mario Kart 8 you had have one player join a race then the lottery of everyone else trying to join that player - a total pain in the arse.

Something that would ruin the team nature of this game.

What about someone suffering from muteness, but you're just talking about online video gaming, right? However, in that case we can then loop back to, what about someone suffering from muteness? :P

You can tell agency, by the way a player moves and controls their character. Supposing AI is sufficiently advanced enough though, then you wouldn't be able to tell whether or not you were playing against a human (I guess this is what you mean?).

Yet if AI advances even more, then perhaps even with voice chat, there will be no distinction between what has agency and what does not.

The first point is such a non argument that I'll just say this - what about people without hands? If we're going to justify an exclusion because a group may not be affected by it, we may as well never argue to include anything when it comes to videogames. Not to undermine the problems these people suffer of course, and we should not stop trying to be inclusive, but saying no voice chat is fine because some people are deaf is puerile.

And I was talking about having agency, not observing it in others. Nintendo is taking away my agency. Time and time again.

If they have any desire to chat to friends while playing then that would be the best option and we've done that person a service. :heh:

Yes, I guess we have, hehe. :)

The first point is such a non argument that I'll just say this - what about people without hands? If we're going to justify an exclusion because a group may not be affected by it, we may as well never argue to include anything when it comes to videogames. Not to undermine the problems these people suffer of course, and we should not stop trying to be inclusive, but saying no voice chat is fine because some people are deaf is puerile.

And I was talking about having agency, not observing it in others. Nintendo is taking away my agency. Time and time again.

You misunderstood. I was on about agency. I've never before heard anyone else say, that agency means having an ability to sound words.

One big thing for me and voice chat is that I think I know I'd play the game more if it had it - I'd definitely be playing Smash lots more with people here if it had full voice chat, and I imagine I'd be doing the same if Splatoon had it too. When I actually used to have Live and played my 360 I would usually be online with the ol' headset on, even if I wasn't neccessarily using it at the time/constantly, it was nice to have the option and definitely contributed to the amount of time I spent playing Halo.

Can I live without voice chat? Well, I already am. Do I want to? No. Will I get Splatoon? Maybe. If it had voice chat? Day 1.

Yes, I guess we have, hehe. :)

You misunderstood. I was on about agency. I've never before heard anyone else say, that agency means having an ability to sound words.

Without sounding too condescending, do you know what agency means?

Without sounding too condescending, do you know what agency means?

Nintendo is taking away my agency. Time and time again.

Sorry, but it just sounds odd to me.:confused:

Nintendo took away a possible choice from you, but you as a person, are still able to act.

I guess I've just never heard someone use it before, even though it sort of means the same thing. I think of agency more as a word describing a conscious decision making being, and for sure, Nintendo hopefully does not have the power to take that away from you; however a choice, they sure do.

If I'm misunderstanding, I'm sorry.

Sorry, but it just sounds odd to me.:confused:

Nintendo took away a possible choice from you, but you as a person, are still able to act.

I guess I've just never heard someone use it before, even though it sort of means the same thing. I think of agency more as a word describing a conscious decision making being, and for sure, Nintendo hopefully does not have the power to take that away from you; however a choice, they sure do.

If I'm misunderstanding, I'm sorry.

Yeah same idea, just different angle on it I suppose.

How I was looking at it is as such - in modern gaming voice chat has become standard and yet Nintendo continuously refuse to embrace it in any meaningful way (chatting during a lobby is more of an insult than a compromise in my eyes). They are actively stopping me from being able to express my thoughts, feelings, ragey responses etc because...well I don't know the reason. They've never really given one.

It's stuff like that and this bullshit (although I know he won't have any sway in a decision like that) that is infuriating.

That's nice.

Especially like the paint covering some of the WiiU banner, lovely touch there.

I'm aware of colour theory thanks, I use it to pick out my ties.

I'm not sure why some people are so keen to point out marketing people are using a tried and tested theory that is designed to be more visually appealing and thus potentially more engaging. It's like pointing out they also wouldn't use yellow text on a white background.

Orange and blue are complementary colours and hence why they are the primary colours on the box. The accents are blue and purple; green and blue are analogous and purple is complementary to green. It's basic but it works.

So yes, they would have chose orange and blue on purpose because they are colours that work well together.

Want to see a rather famous example?

image12.jpg

Well, that was bizarre...

A serious wtf moment there. Seems I struck a nerve somehow.

I was just trying to talk about something other than voice chat. So sue me :heh:

I was just trying to talk about something other than voice chat. So sue me :heh:

Mind. Blown. Please carry on in that case! :P

Splatoon: We Made A Huge Mess Playing Splatoon - PAX East 2015

Why Mobility Matters In Splatoon - PAX East 2015

Watching that I thin it's hilarious how people think voice chat won't help as it's too chaotic. Even simple tactics like 2 of us will fail everything form our base forward and 2 people go forward as much as possible and keep disrupting the other team. Or even warning where opposition team are, or are hiding etc. It's going to be devastating the day we find out it doesn't have voice chat during play...

Watching that I thin it's hilarious how people think voice chat won't help as it's too chaotic.

Here we go again :laughing: :p

Anyway, game still doesn't look appealing to me at all. Hope we'll get a demo.

Here we go again :laughing: :p

Anyway, game still doesn't look appealing to me at all. Hope we'll get a demo.

Haha, I don't mean to restart it, but it's so clear how strategic this game could be.

I think it looks incredible, I'm very excited by it, I'm also pretty confident Nintendo will fuck it up. It'll be great im sure, but just a lot of wasted potential.