NEurope
Retro_Link

Splatoon

I can understand Nintendo's stance, to a limited extent, but rather than saying "this is a problem with voice chat, let's not include it" they need to look for a way of solving the problem.

I'm not really so fussed on voice chat, but as has already been said, it is clearly needed.

Having recorded phrases accessible at the touch of the d-pad could be useful, but more to augment voice chat rather than to replace it.

If they want to protect little Jonny from the big bad world then that's fine. All they need to do is allow you to talk to people on your friends list, not cut the feature altogether. As many have said before, use a mute option. You could even put that in the parental controls one the console.

A part of me what's them to come out and say that it's not included just so I can see what bizarre excuse they come up with.

God no, I don't care for any excuses! This absolutely, unequivocally, NEEDS voice-chat!

This game would be SO much better for it! I can't wait to get my hands on it... although if it doesn't have voice-chat I'd play it a fraction of what I would compared to if it has voice-chat.

This video was uploaded a couple of years ago but it seems to have never been published on Xbox Live

I'm pretty sure that there will be other similar games with the painting mechanic, too. Splatoon is unique because of how it uses it for movement and the like.

I'm pretty sure that there will be other similar games with the painting mechanic, too. Splatoon is unique because of how it uses it for movement and the like.

Oh I don't contest that, after all the massive similarities to de blob have all ready been made by others on the board.

I'm still very impressed that an indie developer had something very close to what Splatoon is offering a couple of years ago and for a different platform, minus the squid mechanic.

I still can't get over how genius "Splatoon" is as a title. You play as Squids in a Platoon who Splats ink in a game with a Cartoon art style.

By god. Highlight of E3 right here.

God no, I don't care for any excuses! This absolutely, unequivocally, NEEDS voice-chat!

This game would be SO much better for it! I can't wait to get my hands on it... although if it doesn't have voice-chat I'd play it a fraction of what I would compared to if it has voice-chat.

One random guy on YouTube is not a reliable source for information. Especially when the developers have been avoiding the question.

Someone tell this guy the full release will have more content than what he played in the demo

Someone tell this guy the full release will have more content than what he played in the demo

It's very early in development and they've already said that they didn't show much content during E3. I wouldn't worry :)

It's very early in development and they've already said that they didn't show much content during E3. I wouldn't worry :)

I know, my point was someone tell the guy in the video that there will be more content to the game after he started mouthing off about how it isn't worth "60 bucks".

I seem to remember Nintendo, pre-E3, saying that we would see games that would show off the Gamepad, and 2 Gamepads on one system applicable games????

I can see this being such a game. What with the integrated map for quick movement around the area, without 2 Gamepads local multiplayer will be confined to an awesome experience, the Gamepad player, and a sub-par experience, the nun-chuk wii-mote wielding 2nd with limited movement.

This video was uploaded a couple of years ago but it seems to have never been published on Xbox Live

It's not really a far-fetched idea.

I thought of a game that used colors to battle with several years back. Only that was an RTS, where color would improve or decrease morale of soldiers. And of course, the possibility to use artillery on your own units to heal them.

BTW, anyone else want to se Amiibos unlocking extra character skins? Imagine a Splatoon version of Princess Zelda.

So this is now confirmed voice-chat-lacking? Utter bullshit, and an otherwise very likely sale is now going down the pan. Possibly even more - I know folks without Wii Us impressed by this, and hungry for Smash too - I reckon at least one guy I know would have picked up a WiiU for both if this had voice chat, but just Smash alone is unlikely to sell him(yeah I know there's plenty other content out there but this really took him). It's so ridiculous, really.

No it isn't confirmed at all, we're all just fearing the worst I think...

No it isn't confirmed at all, we're all just fearing the worst I think...

Just hope our fears aren't founded. Will be such a wasted opportunity without it. Hopefully with all the tweets and miiverse posts they have been getting along with the press constantly asking them about it they will put it in.

If voice chat is not included then my enthusiasm for this game would dramatcially reduce.

Edited by Blade

I wouldn't say "very early". It's pegged for an Early 2015 release, so will be out around August.

I wouldn't say "very early". It's pegged for an Early 2015 release, so will be out around August.

August sounds like early 2015 to Nintendo. ;)

August sounds like early 2015 to Nintendo. ;)

YLqcflq.gif

Yes, that's what I meant :p

Voice chat undecided for Splatoon

It turns out that voice chat hasn’t been officially confirmed for Splatoon after all. Producer/manager Hisashi Nogami and project lead Tsubasa Sakaguchi, speaking with GameRant said that the functionality hasn’t been decided just yet.

“The core concept of Splatoon is that by looking at the way the ink is being spread around and progressing, you know, you can kind of see what your enemies are doing, what your teammates are doing, and then you’re able to decide what you want to do. And that’s kind of the main thing we’re always thinking about, and we kind of get similar questions about the number of people that can be in a multiplayer match, but for this game it’s really that four-on-four is the best number. With four-on-four, the amount of influence that a single player has is perfectly balanced, but also the speed at which the battle changes, the way the battle is developing changes is also completely perfect.”

“The idea being that the core concept is basically that players look at the way the ink is being spread around, the way it’s being painted around, and decide what to do. If in any way that doesn’t disrupt that balance we’ve created, we’ll definitely consider different ways of communication and introduce that to the game as we go forward with development.”

Nogami concluded his comments by stating: “Basically, I haven’t decided.”

http://nintendoeverything.com/voice-chat-undecided-for-splatoon/

I guess they want the visual experience to be there first and foremost, I can dig that...

...if I had a backwards-shovel that is.

I hope they don't have a fear of that mystical word called 'options'.

It doesn't matter. Online isn't the be all, voice-chat isn't essential, all about the games, gameplay, etc etc.