NEurope
Retro_Link

Captain Toad: Treasure Trackers

Yeah? I own the game and have completed all the levels. Come on, give me credit, I wouldn't say the gameplay wouldn't suit a device if I didn't know what the gameplay was. It would be ridiculous levels of easy to control; in fact I think it would even benefit from being more easily able to finger swipe the camera. Toad practically walks by himself once you set him going, and you could jump with a tap. It's really not a precision game at all!

Edit: I just remembered now, you're the one who thought fruit ninja would work better on the multitouch-lacking 3DS using a stylus than a tablet. :rolleyes:

Toad can't jump in the game. Are you sure you played it?

You could have a virtual analog stick in one corner of the screen and tilt the camera with your other hand. It would work fine (ish). It's just releasing a retail game on the App Store would be a commercial and business disaster. 79p Captain Toad with in-app purchases anyone? No thanks.

It's still laughable how many people think the App Store is a viable market place. The staggering odds are that by 2018 only 1 in 10,000 apps will be commercially successful, with the vast majority of commercially successful apps surviving off the free to play model with in game purchases being the main way to earn revenue.

http://www.cultofmac.com/262310/race-bottom-1-app-10000-will-financial-success-2018/

Why are people using such irrelevant stats like these? Time and time again? It's such a ridiculously easy argument to topple.

These stats include anyone who makes an app. Even amateurs like you and I. But also the one in a million amateurs like the Flappy Birds Dev.

Back to the point: Nintendo are not 'anyone'. They are arguably the most well recognised gaming brand in the world, with established and well advertised brands.

Let's do a likewise comparison to this argument - Nintendo should not release any games on consoles since thousands of games are being made all the time (in the form of newly started Indie gaming companies who don't know whether what they're doing will be successful or not).

You could have a virtual analog stick in one corner of the screen and tilt the camera with your other hand. It would work fine (ish). It's just releasing a retail game on the App Store would be a commercial and business disaster. 79p Captain Toad with in-app purchases anyone? No thanks.

It could still be a fiver (as some games on the app store are). I think the potential audience on iPad/Android willing to pay a fiver would be much, much higher than those wanting to buy it at £40 or whatever with a Wii U. And they're getting their games to the so called 'lost generation'.

Toad can't jump in the game. Are you sure you played it?

Some part of me thought he could, not sure why. It was a while back when I played it...but even so, that just makes it even easier to go to tablets.

I don't think nintendo should release games on the App Store as a business model, but more of a marketing one.

On the business front, for comparison, how do companies like EA, Square and Sega do on the platform, they all embrace it pretty heavily.

Why are people using such irrelevant stats like these? Time and time again? It's such a ridiculously easy argument to topple.

These stats include anyone who makes an app. Even amateurs like you and I. But also the one in a million amateurs like the Flappy Birds Dev.

Back to the point: Nintendo are not 'anyone'. They are arguably the most well recognised gaming brand in the world, with established and well advertised brands.

Let's do a likewise comparison to this argument - Nintendo should not release any games on consoles since thousands of games are being made all the time (in the form of newly started Indie gaming companies who don't know whether what they're doing will be successful or not).

It could still be a fiver (as some games on the app store are). I think the potential audience on iPad/Android willing to pay a fiver would be much, much higher than those wanting to buy it at £40 or whatever with a Wii U. And they're getting their games to the so called 'lost generation'.

Some part of me thought he could, not sure why. It was a while back when I played it...but even so, that just makes it even easier to go to tablets.

The whole point of what I was saying is that the vast majority of people who download games and apps download free games that rely on in game purchases and micro transactions. Very few people pay for games at full prices - in fact despite having quite a few mobile games I haven't paid for one! Look at the successful games like Clash of the Clans - it's all micro transactions.

Nintendo would releasing a product that they might want a fiver for, far more than the vast majority of people who frequent the App Store would ever pay for a game.

Also, if Nintendo did release games on such a medium, it would be better if they released games like the barrel or mine cart stages from DK or a Mario Runner - something tailored for a phone. Not a game that requires any form of dexterity to play.

Yeah that's what I think, A Minecart Donkey Kong game in the vein of Rayman would be PERFECT!!!

If only Nintendo had a handheld gaming console for a chunk of the portable gaming market...

If only Nintendo had a handheld gaming console for a chunk of the portable gaming market...

You raise a good point. This game would probably be more suited to the 3DS than the WiiU. Short, pick up and play levels, 3D-visuals (are Nintendo still trying to push that?).

Well yeah, but they've chosen to go for a home console for some reason, so on the current situation alone I was basically making my point. I was thinking if they wanted to, this would be a decent fit (with some modifications) for a tablet. To me, this just doesn't seem like the kind of game that will sell buckets if it is released at full RRP on Wii U. Unless there are some massive changes to it that I'm not aware of that make it somewhat more epic.

Well yeah, but they've chosen to go for a home console for some reason, so on the current situation alone I was basically making my point. I was thinking if they wanted to, this would be a decent fit (with some modifications) for a tablet. To me, this just doesn't seem like the kind of game that will sell buckets if it is released at full RRP on Wii U.

If it wasn't a Wii U game you'd be complaining that the Wii U isn't getting any games and Nintendo have abandoned it.

Yeah that's what I think, A Minecart Donkey Kong game in the vein of Rayman would be PERFECT!!!

Hnng. The DK64 style minecart levels. That would be awesome sauce.

If it wasn't a Wii U game you'd be complaining that the Wii U isn't getting any games and Nintendo have abandoned it.

Nah, I wouldn't.

In fact, I'd rather this went to either 3DS or tablet, and they made something more grandiose for Wii U in its place. Something epic like Zelda, but a new franchise entirely.

Edited by Sheikah
Automerged Doublepost

By the way, it won't be released at full RRP, I'm guessing it will be around €35/€40,- at launch.

But, you're right that with some adjustments this game could be playable on tablets (just like it works on the gamepad), I just think it benefits from the extras the Wii U has in comparison to tablets.

In the end I'm really looking forward to exactly this kind of magical Nintendo experiences on my Wii U. :yay:

In the end I'm really looking forward to exactly this kind of magical Nintendo experiences on my Wii U. :yay:

Such a shame it was delayed over here, and for barely a few weeks. It's the perfect Xmas game IMO.

By the way, it won't be released at full RRP, I'm guessing it will be around €35/€40,- at launch.

But, you're right that with some adjustments this game could be playable on tablets (just like it works on the gamepad), I just think it benefits from the extras the Wii U has in comparison to tablets.

Same here. The sort of experiences that put a smile on my face. The experiences that are challenging, but when you lose you don't cuss, you burst out into laughter. That's the Nintendo difference.

Umm excuse me? I've sworn more times playing Mario Kart than any other title.

Stupid c*****g blue shells.

Same here. The sort of experiences that put a smile on my face. The experiences that are challenging, but when you lose you don't cuss, you burst out into laughter. That's the Nintendo difference.

Are you high?

Umm excuse me? I've sworn more times playing Mario Kart than any other title.

Stupid c*****g blue shells.

You may have an anger management problem :p

Are you high?

This almost broke me... reading Serebii's post, then immediately Ashley's, which was ridiculous levels of true.

You may have an anger management problem :p

^ I don't get it. People cussing at non-Nintendo games = fine, people cussing at incredibly infuriating moments in Nintendo games = anger management problem? Why not just admit you were wrong rather than flip something back at Ashley? I know you're probably trying to 'lol jk' your way out of it, but day-um.

Edited by Sheikah
Automerged Doublepost

Everybody who curses at a videogame has anger management issues, doesn't matter if it's a Microsoft, Nintendo or Playstation game...

So yeah, Serebii is (incidentally?) right there :heh:

Joking aside, some people love games like these, some don't. Just respect another persons opinions and taste.

And if you're really a nice guy; try to take into account that someone who loves a particular game, can feel almost hurt if you use (too) harsh words to describe your less optimistic opinion about that same game.

Other way around: if you love a particular game, don't try to defend it against every criticism you hear or read about. Just let it pass by. Otherwise you come across like a Cranky (pun intended) old man.

I try to keep those two "rules" in the back of my head and it often helps :indeed:

So yeah, Serebii is (incidentally?) right there :heh:

lol, the hell he is. Don't encourage him! First, he said that the 'Nintendo difference' is that their games don't cause you to cuss when in fact they do (at least for many). At the very least you could argue that getting hit by blue shells is just as annoying as game mechanics in other games, which is goes against what he said. That last line - "that's the Nintendo difference" sounded like something lifted from a Nintendo promotional speech. Did nobody else wince a little like me when they read that? Nasty stuff.

Second, I also think that a small amount of cussing at a reasonable volume isn't indicative of an anger management problem. Something like the blue shell is designed to severely disrupt in such a random way for maximum annoyance, so it's pretty understandable. To me, anger management issues would be breaking things in rage, or screaming the house down over it. Basically to the point that you are affecting those around you or your own things/wellbeing. Not everyone who expresses anger automatically has an anger management problem!

lol, the hell he is. Don't encourage him! First, he said that the 'Nintendo difference' is that their games don't cause you to cuss when in fact they do (at least for many). At the very least you could argue that getting hit by blue shells is just as annoying as game mechanics in other games, which is goes against what he said. That last line - "that's the Nintendo difference" sounded like something lifted from a Nintendo promotional speech. Did nobody else wince a little like me when they read that? Nasty stuff.

Second, I also think that a small amount of cussing at a reasonable volume isn't indicative of an anger management problem. Something like the blue shell is designed to severely disrupt in such a random way for maximum annoyance, so it's pretty understandable. To me, anger management issues would be breaking things in rage, or screaming the house down over it. Basically to the point that you are affecting those around you or your own things/wellbeing. Not everyone who expresses anger automatically has an anger management problem!

Haha, chill man, I think you're taking things way too litterally and serious ;)

What I read in that line that gave you a nasty feeling was:

A lot of Nintendo games are aimed at having fun, lighthearted experiences and adventures in a brightly coloured and peaceful world.

If someone tells me they like the "Nintendo factor", that's what it means to me, but yeah, maybe that experience means something totally different for Serebii or you.

It could also mean having limited online possibilities or a lack of sportsgames.

It's all in the eye of the beholder and as such: a matter of opinion/taste/preference.

I wouldn't take his comment as literal as saying there was en never will be anything Nintendo related that could possibly anger anyone as much as to let them curse.

Again, just let him off the hook man, what are trying to achieve? :)

ps: : peace:

The Serebii bullying is getting really uncomfortable now.

I find the best way to be comfortable is to simply not imagine ludicrous things like that in the first place.

I wouldn't take his comment as literal as saying there was en never will be anything Nintendo related that could possibly anger anyone as much as to let them curse.

That's fine, but saying that people who cuss at games have an anger management problem is just wack. Surely you must realise that? :p

Edited by Sheikah

Haha, chill man, I think you're taking things way too litterally and serious ;)

What I read in that line that gave you a nasty feeling was:

A lot of Nintendo games are aimed at having fun, lighthearted experiences and adventures in a brightly coloured and peaceful world.

If someone tells me they like the "Nintendo factor", that's what it means to me, but yeah, maybe that experience means something totally different for Serebii or you.

It could also mean having limited online possibilities or a lack of sportsgames.

It's all in the eye of the beholder and as such: a matter of opinion/taste/preference.

Well what I got from that post was that you laugh when you're punished unfairly in a Nintendo game, whereas now he didn't say it directly but it's implied that other game makers don't do the same. I don't know about you but let's just use Ashleys example. Have you ever laughed when you've been hit by a blue shell? I certainly haven't. I might laugh at others getting screwed in some scenarios but never when it happens to myself and blue shells are unfair regardless of who it hits. They're not funny.

That's fine, but saying that people who cuss at games have an anger management problem is just wack. Surely you must realise that?/:p

Of course that would be wack if it was meant seriously, even highly disrespectful as anger issues are really serious and hurting a lot of people in many ways.

I know I wasn't serious at all, it was just an exaggeration on my part when I mentioned it.

I surely hope that neither was Serebii...!