NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Dog-amoto

Mario Party 10

It's 35 with an amiibo?! Not a bad price! If we do have a smash night then we can have a go at this, see if you like it!

Tempting buttt....that extra 5er is still an extra fiver! I may bite with time though, and a hands-on certainly would help my views!

Got a 4.5 from Gametrailers! And that's out of 10 :p

Ouch, that's awfully low. I disagree massively.

I swear, if one of the criticisms involved was "Too much luck involved", I'm gonna have to slap someone.

Been really tempted by this still. Watched a YouTube vid before of someone playing through a board in single player. Game looks lovely, as expected. The mini games all seem like great fun too. Was confused at first why everyone kept getting mini stars, seems the game just throws them at you. I kind of prefer the idea of coins and then collecting main stars throughout the levels like the older games, but seems hey haven't gone with that idea for some time.

For those who have it then, how does it compare to Island Tour? Is that the same in the sense that there is no stars to collect it's just mini stars until you get a winner? Just interested if that is new to this game or been around a while. I haven't played an MP since the DS version!

I think it's always a good game to have for when people come over. And it did make me want to play it when I was watching the YouTube vid.

Had a laugh at the review here saying "No online is a negative"

Trust me, you'd never get one board game done online, the moment someone is clearly losing, they would disconnect!

The review is from @Josh64 who has played and loved Boom Street online a lot.

Until it was taken away from him.

I put some more time into this over the weekend.

This game just highlights my issues with the Wii U and it's control schemes. You have the gamepad just sitting there doing absolutely nothing, while you have to dig out the Wiimote to actually play the game. While playing the minigames, all the gamepad does is have a message on it saying please look at the TV.

Another annoying thing is having to constantly switch the way you use the wiimote. While navigating the menus you have to use it vertically, but most of the minigames use it horizontally.

Speaking of the menus, man are they bland. There's no charm to it anymore and it looks as if someone just hastily put something together at the last minute.

I was trying to unlock some of the achievements last night and Nintendo have stuck some in that are a nightmare to get if you don't have 4 human players. There's so many of them that require 4 players to do a level perfectly and having to rely on the AI is a pain in the backside. Nice of them to think of those players who don't have the luxury of having mates around to play the thing. If it had an online mode then it wouldn't be an issue...

I have to question the inclusion of Spike to the lineup of characters. I mean, seriously? Spike?

This game just highlights my issues with the Wii U and it's control schemes. You have the gamepad just sitting there doing absolutely nothing, while you have to dig out the Wiimote to actually play the game. While playing the minigames, all the gamepad does is have a message on it saying please look at the TV.

:shakehead

Urgh.

This is something I worried about and it sounds like a complete nightmare.

I hate having all sorts of controllers lying around.

It doesn't make sense as surely the mini games would work better on the game pad with the screen and buttons both being there?

To be honest, I love the Wii remote and everything it did back then, but (unpopular opinion incoming) I just wish they'd kill it now.

Especially for Wii U games. I just want to be able to use either the game pad for a game like this, or the controller pro whatever it's god damn called. I lose track. :(

Those complaints aside Hero, how are you finding the boards, mini games, different modes etc? Any good?

Those complaints aside Hero, how are you finding the boards, mini games, different modes etc? Any good?

The mini games are good. Like are the MP games, there are some great ones but also some stinkers.

I've not touched Bowser or Amiibo boards yet ( have been scanning them in on a daily basis to unlock stuff though ) but have played through a couple boards on the Mario Party mode. It moves at a nice pace and doesn't seem to drag on as much as previous versions.

I think I may have to scrap the idea of buying this anyway.

If I do, I'm gonna want to by all of the new amiibo as I've just looked at them all properly and I love them. Especially Bowser.

Also, I will then want a new Wii Remote and it wouldn't be right without the Peach Wii Remote. Soooo for just one game I'd end up spending a fortune. :laughing:

But I still am agaonising over it so much. I'm really in the mood to play it!

One question - are you all moving around the board together again in this one, or seperately? (cannae look up a lot of stuff here at work)

Also - from what you're saying H-o-T, is there essentially no real gamepad integration into the game then? Or is it just in other places(or specifically in the, if they still exist, 3v1 minigames?)

One question - are you all moving around the board together again in this one, or seperately? (cannae look up a lot of stuff here at work)

Also - from what you're saying H-o-T, is there essentially no real gamepad integration into the game then? Or is it just in other places(or specifically in the, if they still exist, 3v1 minigames?)

You all move together in a little car.

From what I can tell, the GamePad is used for just the Amiibo stuff and the Bowser mode.

Hmm. I think I may be a little more disappoint then. Alas, tis just the way atm. May still pick it up on a budget if it comes there later on.

I had a crack at the Bowser Party mode last night. Not a bad little distraction.

You play as Bowser and have to chase down the rest of the players and deplete their hearts. You do this by catching up to them and then beating them in a mini game. The other players essentially have to dodge during these mini games and they can also get more hearts as they make their way across the board.

When playing as Bowser you only use the GamePad, both on the board and during the games. Some of the uses are quite fun, although this highlights the issue with the GamePad in that most of the best uses it has had is through little mini games.

There's another Bowser mode which just allows you to go through all the Bowser mini games one after the other. The aim is to take away as many hearts as possible from the players during these games and then they all tally up at the end for a highscore.

Playing through these modes netted me some more in game achievements. I'm so glad these are in as it's giving the game some serious legs for me.

I may have a crack at the Amiibo mode tonight...

Gametrailers have a 2 hour twitch stream up of this. It looks so boring. There are just hardly ever any mingames. And the ones I did see then get were awful. They were saying it's probably the worst Mario Party yet, a lot of the time your just a passive player doing nothing, and the minigames/board play is too focused on luck.

I didn't realise it swapped developers with Mario Party 9 and that they are responsible for the car.

The Amiibo mode is awful. You have to keep tapping your Amiibo on the GamePad just to roll the dice. Can't see me putting much time into this mode at all.

According to reviews you can just press the a button instead of the tapping. Is that not the case?

According to reviews you can just press the a button instead of the tapping. Is that not the case?

If you can then it isn't made very clear. There's a little Amiibo icon in the bottom right that shows you have to place it in and off to roll the dice. I've tried pressing A but that didn't work.

I've luckily nabbed all the achievements for that mode in just one run so I won't have to touch it again.

Removed. Won't be appreciated or seen as much here. I'll put it in general discussion

Edited by Wii

I played the Coin Rush mode this morning. Nothing special really. It's just mini games and the one with the most coins at the end of the games wins.

I've nearly got everything unlocked in terms of the shop. Some of the achievements I doubt I will ever get due to how random they are. I mean there's one where all 4 players have to roll the same number on the dice, on the same turn, in Bowser mode. Really? :shakehead

Some of the achievements I doubt I will ever get due to how random they are. I mean there's one where all 4 players have to roll the same number on the dice, on the same turn, in Bowser mode. Really? :shakehead

That's some "achievement" alright. It's the pinnacle of being an expert gamer.

Turns out you were right. Someone on Gamefaqs has pointed this out as well.

Apparently you have to press the A button on the GamePad and not the Wiimote, which is what you would be using anyway and why I could never get it to work. Why they couldn't just allow you to press the A button on the wiimote is beyond me? :wtf:

The Amiibo mode really is a mess. You have to balance using the GamePad, an Amiibo and the Wiimote all at the same time. :shakehead

Turns out you were right. Someone on Gamefaqs has pointed this out as well.

Apparently you have to press the A button on the GamePad and not the Wiimote, which is what you would be using anyway and why I could never get it to work. Why they couldn't just allow you to press the A button on the wiimote is beyond me? :wtf:

The Amiibo mode really is a mess. You have to balance using the GamePad, an Amiibo and the Wiimote all at the same time. :shakehead

Other than it being a little cumbersome, are the boards themselves and/or features good?!

Other than it being a little cumbersome, are the boards themselves and/or features good?!

I enjoy the Boswer mode as it makes good use of the gamepad. I imagine it to be a great laugh with a few mates round. The normal Mario Party modes is the same as always. The boards are alright and the mini games are hit or miss. Same old, same old really.

I enjoy the Boswer mode as it makes good use of the gamepad. I imagine it to be a great laugh with a few mates round. The normal Mario Party modes is the same as always. The boards are alright and the mini games are hit or miss. Same old, same old really.

Fair enough, then yeah, great for gaming nights, but that's about it, reason I bought it anyway!

Fair enough, then yeah, great for gaming nights, but that's about it, reason I bought it anyway!

I would certainly recommend the Bowser mode for gaming nights. I wouldn't touch the Amiibo mode though. It's a hassle in single player, never mind with multiple people trying to scan Amiibo in.

Sign in to follow this