NEurope
bryanee

Devils Third

I want this game, but I wasn't to happy with the trailers. I hope the reviews are good.

I'm thinking Devil's Third will get it's own direct in the coming weeks just before Japan release. They will probably also release a subbed version for us in Europe, too.

Hearing that it's enjoyable from SCG makes me happy. It's a game I wanted to turn out well.........now here's hoping it doesn't get cut from coming to the U.S.

I see Emily Rodgers has tweeted that a major game site have told her its garbage.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/preview/40748/devils-third-wii-u-hands-on-preview

http://www.videogamer.com/wiiu/devils_third/preview-3910.html

Yikes doesn't sound good at all.

It looked like garbage last year at E3 and has been pretty much off the radar since. I know Sam is playing it and seems to be enjoying it but to me the game looked very poor from the start and nothing I have seen since has made me change my mind.

The fact that Nintendo didn't give it a spotlight at this years E3 speaks volumes about the quality of the game, especially when they could do with every game they can get their hands on at the moment.

EDIT: The preview thread on GAF says it all really.

HERE

I still stand by my earlier vague comments about it being enjoyable. :heh:

It's sad that I can't preview this - the general preview embargo doesn't apply as we have to stick to the one for the review hence no previews for games we're sent codes for - but at least that preview tells you one thing of use; the Multiplayer isn't even live yet hence this is still technically half a game.

Whatever happens, it looks like this will still be released in Europe at the very least though I hope Nintendo do publish it in the US as it would be amiss to not stick by it now.

If I could say more then I would but I must respect the NDA I'm under, besides at the moment I have other reviews to write as part of a tribute to Satoru Iwata.

I'm sure that Tomonobu Itagaki would both understand and approve of this... plus the fact that I have a good few weeks until the review is due, rest assured that when I'm finished it will be a fair summation of the game covering everything it has to offer, not just part of it. :indeed:

If anything, it would only be the multiplayer I'd be interested in.

Nintendo shouldn't publish it

After reading a few more impressions I agree, it sounds awful!

Have to say it looks quite poor from this video.

The animation is so bad. I guess it's good to have something a bit different to the norm on Wii U, but it's definitely something that'd probably pass under the radar if the Wii U's release list wasn't as sparse.

One of those quotes in the gaf thread - shaping up to be the worst game nintendo have ever published

uhhh the wiiu doesn't need any more embarasments

Devil’s Third runs in 30 FPS. Itagaki promises that this massive shooter (emphasis on massive) is enjoyable at 30 FPS.

Itagaki decided not to use split screen for online and offline play. Instead, the single player campaign uses the full power of the Wii U console.

Devil’s Third does not have voice chat. The bandwidth that would have been used for this feature was instead used for 16 player multiplayer.

Finally, Itagaki shares his recommendations for how to playDevil’s Third:

· Pro Controller

· USB keyboard

· Wired internet

In an earlier post, Itagaki explained why they recommend the Pro Controller and a USB keyboard over the GamePad. He feels the face buttons are crowded on the GamePad, so you can make mistakes with inputs. The analogs are also too far apart, making it difficult to get a graps of the battlefield. Lastly, and practically, the GamePad is not suitable for many hours of play, and they designed Devil’s Third for long play sessions.

Valhalla chimed in and explained that it comes down to multiplayer, which they intend to house tens of thousands of players.

This what I was waiting for. I was willing to give the game a chance if the multiplayer was decent but now it's certainly been crossed off my purchase list.

I wish that it would be possible for me to say whether the multi-player is actually any good or not, but the truth is it's not even live yet. :indeed:

Maybe they are choosing to wait until a certain date before turning the servers on but I really thought it would have been live by now, I finished the single player campaign a week ago, coming back to see if the multi-player is on yet and to check other aspects of the game.

The whole using a keyboard to communicate doesn't bother me so much if that's how it is to be, though it is a touch antiquated... I can remember using a keyboard on PSO for the Dreamcast, that must have been nearly fifteen years ago! :heh:

Sixteen player for the multi-player seems good, I just want to test it out though, I'm assuming the servers will be live significantly before the game is actually out otherwise I'll have to base the review just on the single player and enjoyable as I have found it, the multi-player really needs to be there as part of the package.

Err...

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/wiiu/adnj/info/index.html

Well that's... interesting! It looks like they're releasing a PC version of the multiplayer mode as a standalone F2P game! (Single player mode is Wii U exclusive though). They're letting Valhalla publish it themselves, but are promoting it on the game's main site.

Nintendo... allowing a PC game to be released... wow. Been a long, LONG time since that happened last! :o

Perhaps they did this so that the few Wii U owners who actually buy this game will have someone to play with? :laughing:

Edited by Dcubed

Err...

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/wiiu/adnj/info/index.html

Well that's... interesting! It looks like they're releasing a PC version of the multiplayer mode as a standalone F2P game! (Single player mode is Wii U exclusive though). They're letting Valhalla publish it themselves, but are promoting it on the game's main site.

Nintendo... allowing a PC game to be released... wow. Been a long, LONG time since that happened last! :o

Perhaps they did this so that the few Wii U owners who actually buy this game will have someone to play with? :laughing:

That's pretty much it :p

Actually, Valhalla selfpublishes the PC version, Nintendo only publishes the Wii U version. I wonder do these games have connected multiplayer, though?

I've watched quite a bit of the footage for this, and it certainly doesn't look triple A, but neither does it look as bad as some people are making out. I haven't played it, but I will play it and am actually pretty curious to whether I will enjoy it or not.

I think if it is a stinker it will go to show one thing - a talented director like Itagaki is only as good as the team he directs. My issue is, when he was at Tecmo he had a great team under him and a lot more resources, however at Valhalla he clearly doesn't have as much at his disposal.

What does shock me with Devil's Third is the talk of sloppy controls and poor performance. I can understand Itagaki making a difficult game or one that casual player found hard to master, but not a game where the actual performance and control hampered proceedings.

Either way, I'm still in as it looks interesting - and even if it's a train wreck it will still be worth owning!

Either way, I'm still in as it looks interesting - and even if it's a train wreck it will still be worth owning!

At the very least, it'll be a neat novelty to own I'm sure. Probably will end up being one of the rarest Wii U games too.

I've watched quite a bit of the footage for this, and it certainly doesn't look triple A, but neither does it look as bad as some people are making out.

I don't know, did you watch the video up to the sniper section where the car looks like its ripped from a PSone game, it looks very much like the plane tow trucks from Time crisis

In an earlier post, Itagaki explained why they recommend the Pro Controller and a USB keyboard over the GamePad. He feels the face buttons are crowded on the GamePad, so you can make mistakes with inputs. The analogs are also too far apart, making it difficult to get a graps of the battlefield. Lastly, and practically, the GamePad is not suitable for many hours of play, and they designed Devil’s Third for long play sessions.

Kinda crazy that the controller that ships with the console isn't recommended to play a game on the said console.

Madness

Is he referring to the WiiU Pro Controller? Or the Wii one?

Because if it's the WiiU Pro controller, then I'm calling BS on the bolded point. The buttons are about the same size as the Gamepad.

Also, I've been playing Smash with the Gamepad ever since it came out, and not once have I ever pressed the wrong button. While I'm at it, I've never felt the analog sticks were too far apart either. (I use them to pull off side attacks quickly)

Of course, if he's referring to the Wii pro controller, then fine.

Let's get some positive news in here! I know the bad news seems more interesting, but I found this video from Nintendo Life and it looks OK.

As for the frame rate issues, hopefully there will be a large day one patch that eliminates some of the worse problems.