NEurope
Cube

Star Fox Zero

Or PS4 and most bloody smartphones or tablets. I'm all about using ubiquitously adopted tech but each their own :heh:

Do any PS4 games actually use devices in that manner though? Closest I've seen is the Fallout Pip Boy app, but nothing in the real time action manner the Wii U GamePad does.

Do any PS4 games actually use devices in that manner though? Closest I've seen is the Fallout Pip Boy app, but nothing in the real time action manner the Wii U GamePad does.

Several games use separate apps or the PlayStation app to allow you to do something else on that device (eg Wolfenstein puts the map on the PlayStation app and I know how you love maps!). Which is one thing the Wii U does that could be replicated elsewhere, bringing me back to my earlier point there is very little that really showcases what can only be done because of the GamePad (in itself, not simply because its part of the console and thus easier/less cost to entry).

Several games use separate apps or the PlayStation app to allow you to do something else on that device (eg Wolfenstein puts the map on the PlayStation app and I know how you love maps!). Which is one thing the Wii U does that could be replicated elsewhere, bringing me back to my earlier point there is very little that really showcases what can only be done because of the GamePad (in itself, not simply because its part of the console and thus easier/less cost to entry).

Yeah and this is one of those showcases, but you're trying to run away from that :p

Yeah and this is one of those showcases, but you're trying to run away from that :p

Well yeah the game isn't for me, but as we were discussing how it does make use of the GamePad I was saying it was one of few.

Well yeah the game isn't for me, but as we were discussing how it does make use of the GamePad I was saying it was one of few.

Well Starfox Guard is where it's at, anyway :p

I want to like that statue but eighty bucks is a lot for it...

Are the Thanks from people under the video Serebii posted because people thinks this looks good?

I know that people are looking forward to playing more Starfox but the video has only cemented my feeling that this game looks like a (nearly) 20 year old game. The pacing of that level looked horrendous and most of the tension is built by just awful camera work that is imposed on the player.

I've played a free game on Google Cardboard that seems more fun that this. Hell, Red Alarm on the Virtual Boy is more fun than this looks!

Obviously my opinion is my own but are people really that happy with this?

Are the Thanks from people under the video Serebii posted because people thinks this looks good?

I know that people are looking forward to playing more Starfox but the video has only cemented my feeling that this game looks like a (nearly) 20 year old game. The pacing of that level looked horrendous and most of the tension is built by just awful camera work that is imposed on the player.

I've played a free game on Google Cardboard that seems more fun that this. Hell, Red Alarm on the Virtual Boy is more fun than this looks!

Quite a few of us share your opinion (me included)

Having played the spaceship combat missions in Star Wars Battlefront over and over again, I'd say the above level of Starfox Zero looks about ten times more fun, which is what I'm most looking for in a video game really. It seems pretty slow paced, but I'm not sure that's a bad thing and we've seen other missions that are faster anyway.

Having played the spaceship combat missions in Star Wars Battlefront over and over again, I'd say the above level of Starfox Zero looks about ten times more fun, which is what I'm most looking for in a video game really. It seems pretty slow paced, but I'm not sure that's a bad thing and we've seen other missions that are faster anyway.

You seem to be inferring the Battlefront Fighter Squadron mode isn't fun, yet you also say you've played it "over and over again"?

Fighter Squadron is basically all-range-mode multiplayer online. That's what I want from Star Fox (as well as traditional levels) but not at that slow pace with gimmicky controls.

You see, none of the footage I've seen or what I've seen of it in real life has me anything but disappointed.

And slow paced? This is Starfox! A franchise that when it was released redefined what a computer game could be and how frantic and action packed it could be! The original has my favourite beginning of any game ever because it nails the atmosphere and you feel like you've genuinely been landed in the shit and have to fight your way out.

This doesn't look fun to me at all though. If I don't at any point break a bit of a sweat or get my heart beat raised by the tension then this game is going in completely the wrong direction. The visual direction is already in the toilet but if they can't nail the game style itself (which they pretty much well defined) then I don't see why anyone is getting excited.

Nintendo need to stop doing these half baked reboots of franchises. If they're not interested in pursuing the features that made them great in the first place then license the IP to a studio that wants to.

You seem to be inferring the Battlefront Fighter Squadron mode isn't fun, yet you also say you've played it "over and over again"?

It's good fun but like many games I've experienced on PS4, the fun is very short-lived. The kind of popcorn 'cinematic' experience you have a blast with at the time, but then will have forgotten about a few months or years later. Sort of how I feel about Marvel superhero films, awesome while watching, but they don't really stick with me to any great degree a week or two later, unlike some truly great films/Nintendo games.

It's good fun but like many games I've experienced on PS4, the fun is very short-lived. The kind of popcorn 'cinematic' experience you have a blast with at the time, but then will have forgotten about a few months or years later. Sort of how I feel about Marvel superhero films, awesome while watching, but they don't really stick with me to any great degree a week or two later, unlike some truly great films/Nintendo games.

Well it was obviously fun enough to play "over and over" again.

This game doesn't look fun enough to play once.

Yeah I enjoyed Battlefront fighter squadron, but mostly for the Star Wars factor. Gameplay was meh and I won't remember a thing about it in six months. Whereas Starfox Assault I remember tons about, over a decade later. I'll remember Twilight Princess for years, I'll have forgotten most of Tomb Raider in about a year, even though I loved it at the time.

As for Zero, I think it looks great fun, but that's just me.

You see, none of the footage I've seen or what I've seen of it in real life has me anything but disappointed.

And slow paced? This is Starfox! A franchise that when it was released redefined what a computer game could be and how frantic and action packed it could be! The original has my favourite beginning of any game ever because it nails the atmosphere and you feel like you've genuinely been landed in the shit and have to fight your way out.

This doesn't look fun to me at all though. If I don't at any point break a bit of a sweat or get my heart beat raised by the tension then this game is going in completely the wrong direction. The visual direction is already in the toilet but if they can't nail the game style itself (which they pretty much well defined) then I don't see why anyone is getting excited.

Nintendo need to stop doing these half baked reboots of franchises. If they're not interested in pursuing the features that made them great in the first place then license the IP to a studio that wants to.

...but it just looks like 64 with HD graphics and more alternate paths/vehicles etc. It looks and seems to play exactly like traditional Starfox.

I do think the effort they've put in is pretty pathetic.

It's the exact same old types of levels from a 20 year old game but re-skinned. The gameplay looks the same, apart from the gamepad stuff, and they seemed to have slowed everything down.

There's no real graphical fidelity... as they mentioned on NVC, where's the parting in the Fortuna clouds as you fly over them, why aren't they dynamic and move as enemies and the Arwing interact with them. Where are the galaxies, the great looking explosions... Star Fox is a cheesy over the top action film!

The lack of multiplayer dogfights or squad based co-op is ridiculous.

Having said that, the rollercoaster layout of some of the levels Jose mentioned on NVC sounded fun, as did the gamepad use that went with it. But we've yet to see any of that.

And at least it's looking a lot better than it was.

I was actually looking forward to this game a fair bit as I'd only seen a few trailers and the boss fight where you go all the way around that big tower thing but this video is REALLY off-putting.

I think the most obvious thing wrong with it is the speed, the aircraft looks like it's going 10 miles an hour, not to mention the dodgy camera clipping through scenery.

Fighter Squadron is basically all-range-mode multiplayer online. That's what I want from Star Fox (as well as traditional levels) but not at that slow pace with gimmicky controls.

It kills me that we aren't getting this in Star Fox. If they want to make a slow paced campaign then fine but at least give us a fast paced online mode.

If Nintendo really wanted a hook for this game then all they needed to do is give us a fleshed out online game type to play. Team Star Fox Vs Team Star Wolf I guess makes too much sense. You could play as random grunts and then get power ups that call in a member of the Star Fox/Star Wolf team, very similar to what Battlefront does with the Falcon and Slave 1.

Just about all of us on here who have played Battlefronts squadron mode have said the exact same thing, which was why isn't Nintendo doing this kind of thing with Star Fox? It's a perfect fit and a no brainer.

I'm pretty surprised that mode of Battlefront is enjoyable. Unless they completely changed the controls since the beta (it wasn't fun to fly at all).

I'm not fussed at all by lack of multiplayer in Star Fox. Sure, it's always nice to have more options, but it doesn't seem important. Multiplayer dogfighting seems like something that has never been done well at all, just something that's mildly enjoyable at best.

I'm pretty surprised that mode of Battlefront is enjoyable. Unless they completely changed the controls since the beta (it wasn't fun to fly at all).

I'm not fussed at all by lack of multiplayer in Star Fox. Sure, it's always nice to have more options, but it doesn't seem important. Multiplayer dogfighting seems like something that has never been done well at all, just something that's mildly enjoyable at best.

Best mode of the game for me. I done most of my leveling up on that mode due to how many kills I could easily rack up. Once I got the timing down of the Falcon and Slave 1 spawns, as well as their locations, I was getting MVP in most matches. It's fast and frantic, which is what I want out of my dogfighting experiences.

I never had issues with the controls but I know people who did. However, once they changed the layout and made it more like the Rogue Squadron games then everything was fine for them.

It is criminal this game doesn't have online dogfighting. Especially as a few of the earlier games had multiplayer. Very frustrating.

As for saying vanguard and Red Alarm looks more fun, that's just being sensationalist surely.

Ultimately the hands on are positive about how it plays; I'd rather listen to them than people who say silly things like it looks like a 20 year old game. It doesn't look great, I'm worried about it; but people need to actually play games 20 years old.

As for Battlefront. I sort of love it. I mean, I thought it was going to be game of the year, looks amazing, I have fun when I play it, but I rarely have the desire to actually play it. I want to buy the season pass too, but can't even remember the last time I played it... I won't say anything bad about it as it looks great and it's star wars, and it's fun. But I don't know what it is, just doesn't pull me in. Saying that, I also like the fighter squadron mode and would love a star fox version of it.

In the N64 days we used to play Starfox dogfighting almost as much as Mario Kart 64 and Goldeneye.

The levels were incredibly simplistic, but it had the really satisfying Starfox feel of the laser cannons and smart bomb power ups to play with - along with well balanced health bars.

To me, a lot of what makes for an interesting multi-player experience in a game like this is the feel of the weapons and the Star Fox games I have played have nailed this (whether it be in single player or multi-player).

It really bugs that this does not have online multi-player. I would have got it instantly if it did. Now I am on the fence. The speed and gameplay stuff does not really put me off, I am happy for the focus of the game to be a bit different, but I also haven't seen much to really get me excited.

Does this at least have offline multiplayer? Not that I'll get it anyway, but I'm interested.