NEurope
Cube

Star Fox Zero

At least it has a nice art style. It looks stylised and gorgeous. Star Fox Zero looks like they put it together in a few months, with a barebones N64 art style.

I disagree. I just don't think you realise what the art style is.

The N64 looks nothing like that, for one

Those blue lines represent the folds in the cockpit's window.
I know exactly what they represent Serebii... :blank:

The Arwing only has a top half made of glass and therefore it's inaccurate for the cockpits window. Thus the blue lines mean nothing and may as well be replaced by a crosshair which would actually help aiming and accuracy, or an actual cockpit which would be cooler.

I disagree. I just don't think you realise what the art style is.

The N64 looks nothing like that, for one

Your last two posts have been pretty condescending... Edited by Retro_Link
Automerged Doublepost

I know exactly what they represent Serebii... :blank:

The Arwing only has a top half made of glass and therefore it's inaccurate for the cockpits window. Thus the blue lines mean nothing and may as well be replaced by a crosshair which would actually help aiming and accuracy, or an actual cockpit which would be cooler.

Your last two posts have been pretty condescending...

That was not my intent. With the first, you said that they were blue lines that represented nothing. All I was doing was providing a correction and information. They do match up, with the bottom part being the dash, but I assume they didn't want to block the view by animating, but it does match up.

RavYGFU.jpg

Nmgu8OI.jpg

I truly apologise if the posts came across as condescending. It was not my intent

I'd remove the blue lines from the cockpit view. I don't like them, there's no need for them and they're off putting.

I've said it before but I think the graphics will be cleaned up but all looks a bit minimalistic and nothing in. The game needs online multiplayer. I can't see Nintendo spending a whole pile of money on this game. I'd say they'll shove it out the door, saying "you wanted Starfox, you've got Starfox." The sales the game will likely get in Nintendo's mind won't warrant them breaking their back over this.

Strange blue folds on the cockpit view is the last thing the devs needs to look at.

What's changed between the risky but imaginative and loads of fun Assault that went in a totally new direction and Starfox Zero that looks like a safe, unimaginative rehash of a 15 year old game filled with the same dialogue, locations, HUD, victory music (ok that can stay) and most likely, storyline?

Strange blue folds on the cockpit view is the last thing the devs needs to look at.

What's changed between the risky but imaginative and loads of fun Assault that went in a totally new direction and Starfox Zero that looks like a safe, unimaginative rehash of a 15 year old game filled with the same dialogue, locations, HUD, victory music (ok that can stay) and most likely, storyline?

I do say I have to agree. I don't have the link to hand but the IGN Live demo where they had a girl from treehouse on (Abi Rapp or something?) She said it's not a sequel, not a remake, not a reboot but a re-imagining...Isn't that just another word for remake/reboot? I know people will argue otherwise but really it is...When I heard the title I was convinced we were in prequel territory which actually would have been intereted.

Nothing new to see here personally...the walker Arwing doesn't interest me, it was in Star Fox 2 a ROM that's freely available now. I just cannot believe we are having another rerun of essentially the same SNES/N64 game...both Assault and the DS game at least were trying new things.

I wanted this to be a killer app so badly.

She said it's not a sequel, not a remake, not a reboot but a re-imagining...Isn't that just another word for remake/reboot

All the games are pretty much "reboots".

The Gyrowing sections are pretty different form any previous Star Fox thing, too.

All the games are pretty much "reboots".

The Gyrowing sections are pretty different form any previous Star Fox thing, too.

How is that a good thing? It's also not true....

Starfox, Lylat Wars and now Star Fox Zero retell the same events

Starfox Assault, Command and Adventures (very different granted) aren't.

It's just very depressing that over half the entries in a series I love are the exact same story. Not even trying to spin it as a sequel or a modern homage. I'd compare it to Jurassic Park and Jurassic World, essentially the same story but recognizing what came before and being an actual sequel.

I just saw Starfox 2 again in a video about cancelled video games, and realized that "new" walking arwing feature is in fact NOT new, it being in this game already. It makes me wonder though...could this be a direct sequel to Starfox 64? I mean, it is the last game released having been remade for 3DS, right? Opinions?

@flameboy, what I mean is that there is no real continuity between games, it's like Mario games.

Not every game needs a story. Star Fox's story is pretty basic and an excuse for the action, nothing more. All Star Fox needs in terms of story is cheesy dialogue.

I love Lylat Wars. I love the graphics - but they are not an 'art style' they were a product of their time and came from technical constraints put in place but the system's limitations.

To carry those through to the modern day and call it an 'art style' is in my opinion, rubbish.

Yoshi's Wooly World has an art style, Kirby and the Rainbow Paintbrush has an art style, Splatoon has an art style, Mad World on the Wii has an art style - all four are unique and look great in different ways.

But Star Fox Zero just looks like a game that comes from the N64 and hasn't progressed in terms of character and vehicle models.

Star Fox Assault saw the ships and the models move forward leaps and bounds! However, this looks like a step back. When I've watched the videos of Assault, it looks like an evolution of Star Fox, Zero however looks like a bizarre mix of N64 assets and HD, it's almost like they ported the N64 version and then just increased the resolution in places.

The models and sparse emptiness of ground looks wrong in this day and age. Very flat, obvious polygons and a little unfinished.

Summed up perfectly.

I'm sure it'll look better on release, but I doubt it'll be good enough.

This is what happens when you've a budget of about tree fiddy and development time under 2 years. Starfox isn't one of my favourite franchises but if it was I'd be more peeved off about the lack of respect or effort being shown.

How long ago was this? :p

Also... THAT is how you do a cockpit view and with a sweet targeting computer!

Best day one console release game EVER!!!

What an amazing game that was. I wish Battlefront was more in that style of game rather than another FPS, but that's personal preference. But yeah this makes Star Fox Zero look terrible.

Best day one console release game EVER!!!

In a world where Super Mario 64 and Wave Race: Blue Storm exist, I'll definitely have to disagree with that statement :heh:

I finally beat Rogue Leader in January, though, and it was quite fun to play through : peace:

@flameboy, what I mean is that there is no real continuity between games, it's like Mario games.

Not every game needs a story. Star Fox's story is pretty basic and an excuse for the action, nothing more. All Star Fox needs in terms of story is cheesy dialogue.

I dunno I feel like they fleshed out enough of the lure in games like Starfox Command that mean it can be done. Another is that Mario doesn't always have a near identical opening level everytime!

I dunno I feel like they fleshed out enough of the lure in games like Starfox Command that mean it can be done. Another is that Mario doesn't always have a near identical opening level everytime!

I'm sorry, but as much as I like Command, you can't honestly expect anyone to take the story in that game seriously.

After all, that's the game where you can make Fox and Falco join F-Zero or have them screw up so badly that Star Wolf end up saving the galaxy and putting Star Fox out of a job.

And it's brilliant!

Mario also doesn't run through near identical versions of the same levels in all his games.

Best day one, 3rd party console release game EVER!!!

Edited for @/nando/

Mario also doesn't run through near identical versions of the same levels in all his games.

Thank you! That's what I'm saying!!!!

As long as Slippy still has a horrifically annoying voice and I'm allowed to shoot him I'll be happy.

Normally I crave new and fresh experiences but with this I really just want a better Lylat wars. More all-range dog fighting, loads of enemies and good level design.

As long as Slippy still has a horrifically annoying voice and I'm allowed to shoot him I'll be happy.

Normally I crave new and fresh experiences but with this I really just want a better Lylat wars. More all-range dog fighting, loads of enemies and good level design.

Also, a disclaimer at the beginning CLEARLY STATING that neither Assault nor Adventures happened. Ever.

What little story the Starfox series had up to that point was ruined for me by those games. I'm not counting Command because... well, because it was not a terrible game, I just can't remember what happened... something about invading fish?