NEurope
Cube

Star Fox Zero

Im regards to the controls @dazzybee I turned off the motion in the options. (It only comes on when firing). Made a massive difference to my enjoyment, making it shoot where the reticule is initially pointing like SF64.

Then started missing the flexibility that the 'always on' gyro controls offer. (Some of the enemies are clearly made to be defeated via gyro aiming). Learning to love the controls now...

Yeah. You'll switch 'em off at first but then you'll start missing that freedom and bam, they got you!

Yeah. You'll switch 'em off at first but then you'll start missing that freedom and bam, they got you!

I turned them off and I am enjoying the game more this way! When you turn them off they only activate when you're firing or charging a shot. Each time you stop firing they re centre and recalibrate, when they're on constantly I kept having problems with calibration - one reason this game would have been better with the Wii remote and not the gyroscope.

Wow, this game sure is short on content.

Beat Andross last week, a few days later I beat every single alternate path.

I was going to try to beat the game in Arcade mode (why the f**k don't laser upgrades carry over from previous levels. And only one extra life? Seriously?) before I realised that it only unlocks a sound check mode.

I've got game over in Arcade mode a fair few times, haven't beaten it yet. One single life, that has to be earned, is too difficult for my modern day spoon-fed gaming time. I like the challenge but I'd like less challenge even more.

I dunno how many more times I can play with the freaking Gyrowing guys.

It's not about your modern day senses. SF64 allowed players to earn up to 9 lives. And you could keep your fully upgraded main weapon. And a fully upgraded weapon didn't use to disappear as soon as you took damage.

After clearing the game several days ago, I've been having a blast trying to better my scores, obtain medals and unlock alternative routes :hehe:

I'm falling in love with it :love:

Yeah the more I play the More I love it. Still think the cursor not shooting where it's sitting is borderline ruining it and utterly stupid, but I'm fighting the idiocy.

Last weeks bet was 'starting the first level of StarFox and from the moment you are in control of the ship, setting the controller down, how long will it take for your ship to explode?'

@1:39:10 :D

Edited by Retro_Link

Im regards to the controls @dazzybee I turned off the motion in the options. (It only comes on when firing). Made a massive difference to my enjoyment, making it shoot where the reticule is initially pointing like SF64.

Then started missing the flexibility that the 'always on' gyro controls offer. (Some of the enemies are clearly made to be defeated via gyro aiming). Learning to love the controls now...

I trie this but didn't like it, as like you say when firing it still moves it about so doesn't shoot where you are...

I'm getting used to the cursor, but still think it's horrific. Why oh why can't it just shoot where it says... I don't think I'd have any problems then. I even like the gyrocopter!

Last weeks bet was 'starting the first level of StarFox and from the moment you are in control of the ship, setting the controller down, how long will it take for your ship to explode?'

@1:39:10 :D

Comedy! What's their podcast like? Do they have a website now or just that?

I was going to try to beat the game in Arcade mode (why the f**k don't laser upgrades carry over from previous levels. And only one extra life? Seriously?) before I realised that it only unlocks a sound check mode.

I've got game over in Arcade mode a fair few times, haven't beaten it yet. One single life, that has to be earned, is too difficult for my modern day spoon-fed gaming time. I like the challenge but I'd like less challenge even more.

GIT GUD!

It's as simple as that! People have mocked the challenge in this game, but to get all 70 medals and complete a run through of arcade mode is pretty damn challenging!

I've beaten arcade mode (just now in fact and on my first attempt), it's achievable, you just have to know the levels and have mastered the controls. Also, if it is your first play through on arcade, choose a route that you're more confident with.

I went through to Fichina to avoid the two headed dragon boss!

Yeah the more I play the More I love it. Still think the cursor not shooting where it's sitting is borderline ruining it and utterly stupid, but I'm fighting the idiocy.

I have in many ways really enjoyed the game!

There's loads of content - 12 main mission and a further 8 hidden ones. There's also multiple paths and multiple objectives in each mission. What's more, with five medals to collect on every main mission and a further 10 to collect over the hidden missions there's a lot to do if you want to see it all.

The game is pretty easy if all you want to do is beat Andross and turn it off, but collecting everything is a tough challenge - one or two of the medals caused me to rage!

The game looks great, sounds great and is probably the best Star Fox game in terms of content. But I just think the controls were unnecessary.

A new control scheme should always make a game more intuitive and simple to get to grips with, not more complex. When Sin and Punishment came out on the N64 it was good, but when the sequel came out on the Wii it was improved by the new control scheme. Using the Wii remote as a pointer added to the game, it made it easier to aim and shooting anywhere quickly was intuitive and smooth.

Star Fox Zero could have benefited from pointer controls like Sin and Punishment did. But two screens and a gyroscope? Well the problem with the gyroscope is if it always on in such a fast moving game you need to keep recalibrating, it simple isn't up to that and isn't a patch on the Wii remote pointer in that respect.

The other huge problem as @dazzybee said, is the two screens often confuse you as the reticule is positioned differently on both, so sometimes you miss a shot because you're not sure where to look.

On the whole it is a good game, but it could have been great had Nintendo stuck to a more suitable control scheme.

I'm pleased I got the game and at times had a blast with it, but at other times it left me frustrated.

Comedy! What's their podcast like? Do they have a website now or just that?
They set up a Patreon page called Easy Allies, which instantly became one of the best funded/most popular Patreons. Patreon is the site people like Greg from IGN used to set up their project.

Easy Allies stream a lot of content from their Twitch page, and now with funding produce shows and reviews like they used to do on Gametrailers, which you can find at Youtube.com/EasyAllies.

Sat down to play this last night and just couldn't be bothered after a mission or two.

As much as I love Star Fox and have finished the campaign, the whole idea of a fast paced shooter with two screens is just "exhausting" when all I want to do is sit down and play an exhilarating, decent looking shooter.

I think this game truly reflects my issues in general with the WiiU.

The unnecessary complexity of control for many games and having to use the large GamePad.

Nice little interview with Miyamoto and Hayashi about Star Fox Zero here...

http://nintendoeverything.com/miyamoto-and-hayashi-talk-star-fox-zero-story-gamepad-vehicles-more/

Apparently the concept for Star Fox Guard has actually been bouncing around at Nintendo since the SNES days!

Also, not really related but I just saw this on Miiverse...

You must have JavaScript enabled on your device to view Miiverse posts that have been embedded in a website. View post in Miiverse

Erm... Holy crap!!! :o

Has anyone managed to get 70 gold medals in the game yet? I finally got the final one this morning, on the Wolfen stage. I'll post my score screen later on.

Had a fantastic time with it. Total playtime 27.5 hours.

Has anyone managed to get 70 gold medals in the game yet? I finally got the final one this morning, on the Wolfen stage. I'll post my score screen later on.

Had a fantastic time with it. Total playtime 27.5 hours.

I did, a week or so ago, I commented on your Miiverse post!

Getting all 70 was a real challenge, had fun with it.

I'm slowly getting there

Going through in Arcade Mode again and I'll picking up a ton of medals

Edited by Serebii

I really love this game but I haven't completed it once yet. I keep going back to levels I've done to replay and get better scores and slowly make my way through the Lylat System. I guess I've slipped back into 'casual' mode so I'm taking my time with this. It's nice to read comments on here about how fun the game is and the controls though. I genuinely think they're fantastic, the reputation this game has garnered is unjustified I think.

You know.. I despised the controls on my nephews Wii U... but on mine it's not bad at all. I'm wondering if there are variations on the build quality on the gamepads... and if you have a crap one then the game will be more frustrating?

Having said that, Splatoon worked ok... so maybe I've just gotten used to the controls? It's weird playing the game afresh though... I keep thinking I have most of the levels unlocked... then remember I played those levels on my nephews Wii U :D

Edited by Pestneb

I did, a week or so ago, I commented on your Miiverse post!

Getting all 70 was a real challenge, had fun with it.

Yeah I saw that. Was comparing our completed score screens. Very impressive Wolfen and Lone Wolf times you had there :bowdown:

Here's my completed score screen:

[ATTACH]3844[/ATTACH]

I really love this game now. Even the controls. I completed it on co-op with @david\.dakota and just gone through on my own, completed andros in one life, pretty pleased about that. I will say the high scores seem almost impossible at this stage to get... I retried Corneria, did really well, but was still some way off...

I wish you could do Co-Op online, I'd love to play it with my brother but only get to see him on Sundays.

I really love this game now. Even the controls. I completed it on co-op with @david\.dakota and just gone through on my own, completed andros in one life, pretty pleased about that. I will say the high scores seem almost impossible at this stage to get... I retried Corneria, did really well, but was still some way off...

Same here, the medals are really hard to get. I'm not sure I'm bothered to do it all again but I at least want to open all the levels.

On a side note, had a friend over the other day and we played it. We started talking about how long it would take to go through the entire game of Lylat Wars / Star Fox 64, i.e. from start in Corneria to beating Andross. I remember it being really short but on howlongtobeat.com it says 2 hours which is more than twice what I thought.

Same here, the medals are really hard to get. I'm not sure I'm bothered to do it all again but I at least want to open all the levels.

On a side note, had a friend over the other day and we played it. We started talking about how long it would take to go through the entire game of Lylat Wars / Star Fox 64, i.e. from start in Corneria to beating Andross. I remember it being really short but on howlongtobeat.com it says 2 hours which is more than twice what I thought.

That's probably assuming a first time play through (and that's probably only one path - because a 100% completion would take a lot longer than that your first time through).

A single runthrough of SF64 takes me about 30-40 mins.