NEurope
Cube

Star Fox Zero

Nice series of tweets from Nintendo UK this morning, with the opening dialogue from mission one being tweeted from each team member in sequence.

It was a lot better than my complicated explanation above.

He then told me has was asking everyone as a few people have been asking if it plays on the Wii..

When I was checking out a recent deal for Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash on Amazon and came across the following question..

"Does anyone know why this doesn't work on our Wii console? Comes up with error every time?"

:nono:

I cobbled this together this morning, thought it might be useful to have for reference. :)

It doesn't have any major spoilers to my knowledge but just in case... :D

<<<<<<<<<<<<<< Star Fox Zero - Quick Unlock Guide >>>>>>>>>>>>

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< Version 1.0 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Below you will find a handy guide on how to unlock stages and additional content for Star Fox Zero.

The information is not my own, merely compiled from various sources and re-written in basic form so it can be used as a reference to refer to in an instant.

I compiled this because I find it makes things easier having the basic info to hand rather than having to trawl through pages of information when all you want is a quick answer.

This guide was initially cobbled together towards the end of my first playthrough with the knowledge that further replays would be required.

After obtaining the stage-mapping information, I decided that it would be useful to make this rough guide available.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< Standard Stages >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Corneria - Enter Star Fox - standard 1st - 2nd time - portal - walker, blast doors ground switch, help Bill = unlocks Aquarosa - Floating Target

Sector Alpha - Frenzied Firefight - standard -

Area 3 - The Key to Victory - standard -

Zoness - Covert Ops - standard -

Sector Beta - Reunited with a Friend - Defeat Wolf normally = next stage - quickly = unlocks Fortuna - Dangerous Skies

Titania - A Fox in the Desert - standard - 2nd time - platforms use Gravmaster to get to portal = unlocks Salvadora - Peppy's Fight

Sector Gamma - Copperhead Chaos - standard

Fichina - Frostbitten Fray - standard

Sector Omega - Blasting Through - standard

Corneria - Hidden Plans - standard

Venom - The Final Battle - standard - Left, Right, Right, Left

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< Unlockable Stages >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Fortuna - Dangerous Skies - clear the stage

Aquarosa - Floating Target - clear the stage - unlocks two new misions - two different routes

Zoness- Sneak Attack - instead of Gyrowing you use the Arwing/Walker - 7 minute time limit

Area 3 - Chaos at the Colony - clear the stage - more backstory

Asteroid Field - clear the stage

Salvadora - Peppy's Fight - Barrel Roll! Barrel Roll! D-D-Do a Barrel Roll! D-D-Do a Barrel Roll! - Do a Barrel Roll!

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< Star Wolf Events >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Sector Alpha - Frenzied Firefight - play as normal - end of first phase lock onto Pigma for cutscene

Wolfen - Meddlesome Mercs - complete event

Fortuna - Dangerous Skies - play as normal - halfway through first phase lock onto Wolf for cutscene

Hunter - Lone Wolf - complete event

Let me know if it's useful/any good. : peace:

I cobbled this together this morning, thought it might be useful to have for reference. :)

It doesn't have any major spoilers to my knowledge but just in case... :D

<<<<<<<<<<<<<< Star Fox Zero - Quick Unlock Guide >>>>>>>>>>>>

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< Version 1.0 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Below you will find a handy guide on how to unlock stages and additional content for Star Fox Zero.

The information is not my own, merely compiled from various sources and re-written in basic form so it can be used as a reference to refer to in an instant.

I compiled this because I find it makes things easier having the basic info to hand rather than having to trawl through pages of information when all you want is a quick answer.

This guide was initially cobbled together towards the end of my first playthrough with the knowledge that further replays would be required.

After obtaining the stage-mapping information, I decided that it would be useful to make this rough guide available.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< Standard Stages >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Corneria - Enter Star Fox - standard 1st - 2nd time - portal - walker, blast doors ground switch, help Bill = unlocks Aquarosa - Floating Target

Sector Alpha - Frenzied Firefight - standard -

Area 3 - The Key to Victory - standard -

Zoness - Covert Ops - standard -

Sector Beta - Reunited with a Friend - Defeat Wolf normally = next stage - quickly = unlocks Fortuna - Dangerous Skies

Titania - A Fox in the Desert - standard - 2nd time - platforms use Gravmaster to get to portal = unlocks Salvadora - Peppy's Fight

Sector Gamma - Copperhead Chaos - standard

Fichina - Frostbitten Fray - standard

Sector Omega - Blasting Through - standard

Corneria - Hidden Plans - standard

Venom - The Final Battle - standard - Left, Right, Right, Left

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< Unlockable Stages >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Fortuna - Dangerous Skies - clear the stage

Aquarosa - Floating Target - clear the stage - unlocks two new misions - two different routes

Zoness- Sneak Attack - instead of Gyrowing you use the Arwing/Walker - 7 minute time limit

Area 3 - Chaos at the Colony - clear the stage - more backstory

Asteroid Field - clear the stage

Salvadora - Peppy's Fight - Barrel Roll! Barrel Roll! D-D-Do a Barrel Roll! D-D-Do a Barrel Roll! - Do a Barrel Roll!

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< Star Wolf Events >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Sector Alpha - Frenzied Firefight - play as normal - end of first phase lock onto Pigma for cutscene

Wolfen - Meddlesome Mercs - complete event

Fortuna - Dangerous Skies - play as normal - halfway through first phase lock onto Wolf for cutscene

Hunter - Lone Wolf - complete event

Let me know if it's useful/any good. : peace:

Defeating Wolf quickly is being a pain in the arse

Defeating Wolf quickly is being a pain in the arse

A skill you've been developing your whole life is finally going to pay off! :yay:

:awesome:

A skill you've been developing your whole life is finally going to pay off! :yay:

:awesome:

One of these days, I will kick your ass :p

When I was checking out a recent deal for Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash on Amazon and came across the following question..

"Does anyone know why this doesn't work on our Wii console? Comes up with error every time?"

:nono:

Nintendo should have made WiiU disks take Wii owners to their store with a £50 discount on the system. They might have sold more WiiU's then.. :heh:

How fiddly are the controls in this?

Nintendo should have given me a Pro Controller (Cranky Kong edition) control setup at least!

Although I've zipped through a chunk of it (having just finished the defend Great Fox/Missile Star Fox Command-rip level). I've not died but it's definitely harder due to the controls. So much for accessibility Nintendo...

I am loving how tight/good the Star Fox gang are in this (Slippy isn't as annoying - so far!) and although it's a total SF64 rip plot wise, with the gyro etc. it feels a bit more like a 'Thunderbirds' inspired game. It's nice to see a game like this come out in the current gaming landscape. I just hope the controls click with me a bit more.

Alright, just cleared training and the first level on this. So far, I don't find the controls that hard to adjust to. Sure, they require a bit from you but it's not near as bad as some people make it out to be!

Also really, really like that you can quit from the main game now and not lose progress. You couldn't do that in Lylat Wars if I remember correctly.

I haven't had the time to make it through to the end of Starfox Zero for the first time but I cleared Fichina this morning :smile:

Considering the fact that I'm probably relatively close to the end, it's easy to see why many players won't appreciate the experience if you're only interested in making it through from start to finish before moving onto something else. I'm not one of those people and I knew what sort of game to expect going in but I'll probably have to admit that I may not entirely enjoy the experience first time through.

Having said that, I'm more than confident that this game will continue to grow on me over the weeks and months ahead, especially when I get used to the controls :hehe: It's probably a little more confusing than I anticipated but I'll get there and am excited by the fact that I've had plenty of moments where I've felt like the game is going to be awesome once I become much better :yay:

I feel a similar way, at times the controls work beautifully and its a really immersive experience, but there are also times where the controls have felt awkward and complicated things a bit too much. The game is also a lot harder than I thought it would be, which has caused me some problems at times. But I've already improved so much over how I played it at the start and once I get past Andross, I know I'm going to enjoy playing through it again and again.

I played for a couple of hours earlier and made it to Andross, but the challenge was a little too much for me so I'm going to have another crack at it later.

I've actually found instances where these controls have really helped in times that, if this was StarFox 64, it'd have been ridiculously tricky to get the shot

I've actually found instances where these controls have really helped in times that, if this was StarFox 64, it'd have been ridiculously tricky to get the shot

Yeah but to play devil's advocate, surely the levels wouldn't exist in SF64 if the controls weren't in place?

Yeah but to play devil's advocate, surely the levels wouldn't exist in SF64 if the controls weren't in place?

I dunno. It could easily have been

It's the Gigarilla boss. You have to fly around and shoot its ass to knock a panel down. It's constantly moving during it making it a pain. There were similar small targets in Star Fox Assault and Lylat Wars if memory serves.

Let's just say that Star Fox Zero certainly plays to the strengths of the Gamepad but it would certainly be possible to rework the majority of the game to work with the pro controller only even if it meant that it would no longer be quite as immersive overall. :smile:

It's a trade-off whichever way you look at it. :wink:

Star Fox Zero isn't perfect with the gamepad but it certainly benefits from being designed around it. : peace:

Overall I've definitely enjoyed my initial run through of the game and will definitely be back for more, just not right away... it's not as if I don't want to either, I certainly do want to get stuck back into it, alas there are other games to play though; I'm certainly more than grateful for Star Fox Zero though and I feel that Nintendo & Platinum have done a sterling job on it all things considered. :heart:

Out of curiosity, those who've played it, how much content is there? The map screen looks very small, which is a little worrying. Obviously Starfox is all about replayability but still...

I've always hated dual analouge control, which is one of the main reasons I don't play many FPS games, the gyro controls are awesome and didn't take long to get used to at all.

The only time it does annoy me is when you HAVE to look at the gamepad, during cutscenes and stuff, but even that I can handle. The game is hard though, especially for a Star Fox noob!

Out of curiosity, those who've played it, how much content is there? The map screen looks very small, which is a little worrying. Obviously Starfox is all about replayability but still...

If your just going from start to finish then the game is short. You'll probably have it done within a couple of hours. However, if you want to access the secret stages, unlocking gold medals and find hidden items, then the game will be a more lasting experience.

All of this hinges on whether you enjoy the control scheme, though. I usually try to get the most out of my games but due to not enjoying how it plays I was happy with just going the direct route and calling it a day. If the controls click for you then there's plenty to unlock and discover.

Thinking about it a Star Fox VR title would always be welcomed.. doing a barrel roll would certainly be interesting :D

Isn't barrel rolling a bit too slow in this game? I mean, double-tapping the right stick just feels too slow for the purpose of barrel roll.

Thinking about it a Star Fox VR title would always be welcomed.. doing a barrel roll would certainly be interesting :D

While playing, I had the thought of "If there ever was to be a game that could sell me on VR, it'd be this.