NEurope
Cube

Star Fox Zero

Final box art

Xk5QfbN.jpg

Some of the best box-art featured on the front of a Nintendo game in a long time. :)

Nintendo's box art designers are geniuses. Except the ones who did the Mario 3D World one (regulars must have been on holiday that week)

Maybe it's me but something seems odd about that boxart. The only thing I think I can pin it down to is that the fur effect and the lighting on the characters is so pronounced that the Arwings on the front look very plain by comparison. It makes it look like two images thrown together that almost works but doesn't instead of one coherent design.

A little added texture, reflections etc. would help... the vehicles do look like a good detailed sketch, but they don't look believable.

Looking at the front Arwing, it looks to me as if the light source is coming from it's rear left of the image, because of the shadow to the right of the cockpit (from the planet??) But looking at the planet and those brown ships in the background in particular, the light source is coming from the right of the Arwings, probably behind them... maybe I'm wrong on this, but it's how my head reads it. Actually having looked at all those foreground ships the light source is from the left. I think that may be the issue

http://imgur.com/9YHR1qO

9YHR1qO

Obviously that introduces some nasty flaws of it's own, but the lighting seems more coherent on the ships imo

Edited by Pestneb

You two are prattling on about lighting and such.

Meanwhile, I'm wondering who's the numpty using the Chicken Walker mode in outer space.

My money's on Peppy, he's too old to get his head around new-fangled controls!

A little added texture, reflections etc. would help... the vehicles do look like a good detailed sketch, but they don't look believable.

Looking at the front Arwing, it looks to me as if the light source is coming from it's rear left of the image, because of the shadow to the right of the cockpit (from the planet??) But looking at the planet and those brown ships in the background in particular, the light source is coming from the right of the Arwings, probably behind them... maybe I'm wrong on this, but it's how my head reads it. Actually having looked at all those foreground ships the light source is from the left. I think that may be the issue

http://imgur.com/9YHR1qO

9YHR1qO

Obviously that introduces some nasty flaws of it's own, but the lighting seems more coherent on the ships imo

Glad I'm not imagining things - something is definitely off.

And that image, crude as it may be, does look more natural to my eyes.

You two are prattling on about lighting and such.

Meanwhile, I'm wondering who's the numpty using the Chicken Walker mode in outer space.

My money's on Peppy, he's too old to get his head around new-fangled controls!

If you look closely, you can see Slippy in the cockpit.

Isn't Fox the puppet they used in the last direct? They seem very puppet-ish to me at least.

Isn't Fox the puppet they used in the last direct? They seem very puppet-ish to me at least.

2364790-snes_starwing_eu.jpg

The way they should be! And actually, I think the Arwings look better there, even the characters...

The lack of proper lighting on the Arwings are a reflection of the game's visuals, flat, basic, empty.

Yeah agreed. Whilst the characters look cool. Looking at the ship design, especially the incoming enemy ones, they just completely lack character and look like generic fodder.

God I hope this has had a drastic turnaround. I can't believe we're finally getting a new star fox and they've treated it like this... Sell and received badly and use it as excuse that they shouldn't make star fox games... Predictable turn of events.

God I hope this has had a drastic turnaround. I can't believe we're finally getting a new star fox and they've treated it like this... Sell and received badly and use it as excuse that they shouldn't make star fox games... Predictable turn of events.

Maybe Wii U owners are so starved of content they'll buy anything, though :heh:

I predict a solid 6 or 7 out of 10 for this.. and that it'll be a game I'll thoroughly enjoy this Christmas :grin:

Maybe Wii U owners are so starved of content they'll buy anything, though :heh:

I predict a solid 6 or 7 out of 10 for this.. and that it'll be a game I'll thoroughly enjoy this Christmas :grin:

Yeah it's what I think, which isn't good enough for what star fox could be. I'll

Probably enjoy it, but have a feeling it'll be frustrating about everything it does wrong and doesn't do.

Are there any reviews out for this yet? Tbh so long as it is a solid game their is a good chance I will get it, I love starfox. I doubt it will be like mario kart 8 and finally surpass the snes original, but I can live in hope!

Are there any reviews out for this yet?

No, the game isn't due for another 3 months.

What the hell happened to the fast paced, space action? :shakehead
In the missions that don't involve the Gyrowing probably. :blank:

Maybe it'll seem faster/more fun when you play it for yourself?

Maybe.

My hype levels for this remain set to Zero.

you know.. on the plus side it looks much nicer :P

I hope that is equivalent to a training mission though, where they tell you how to use different vehicles. I would have hoped that shooting out the lights would also have worked, and also that on normal difficulty the enemies would be a bit more like a swarm of angry wasps then a couple of bumblebees when you eventually get spotted.. once I saw the "consequences" of being spotted it all got rather dull. The defence bot things shouldn't just roll over "oh he's shooting back, he must be alright lets leave him to continue on his merry way".

Having a few stealth missions (a bit trickier than this though.. ideally with more than one solution to each problem) would be fine, mix things up. I don't think that is what these are though, I think these will follow a lego game more, to make them kid friendly. If the game is slow I want it to need me to think. If it doesn't want me to think I want it to be fast and to have lots of pretty explosions!

Actually that final bit had me thinking of the finale in lego city undercover, and how much more exciting it felt :P maybe Nintendo should commision legofox?

Edited by Pestneb

It's the same demo as the one at E3. Nothing new here.

In the missions that don't involve the Gyrowing probably. :blank:

Yup. These missions are slower paced and less focused on high intensity action but more focused on stealth and dual screen gameplay - looks a bit dull to watch but is no doubt much more fun to actually play.

Yeah I'm sure it'll be fun. I think they need slower paced levels to pad the game out a little bit or like Lylat Wars you could probably finish it in half an hour. That was probably why they included the land missions in Assault.