NEurope
Cube

Star Fox Zero

COMPARISON: *StarFox Zero* VS *StarFox 64 3D* / *Sector Alpha* VS *Sector Y*

I take back everything I said about the visuals, with a direct comparison I can see how lacking in style the visuals in zero have. I'm still hopeful that they can improve it by release but will certainly have to follow the game much closer over the final 6 months.

hatersgonnahate_zpsfvaorr8a.gif

I think that level is a very early build - makes sense as it's not available to plat at the event and explains how bland it looks.

I think the Corneria level looks great in Zero.

off the game cannot be final, unless they ported a potential 3DS game to WiiU

still it looks fun enough, just disappointing in context of that direct

I think it looks too barren for an on-rail shooter. I certainly didn't have fun when watching the Treehouse demos.

The game should go for as nice as possible graphics. The Wii U's not limited like the SNES was.

The graphics will improve, whether by enough remains to be seen. What won't improve is the sense of over-familiarity. We've all played Lylat Wars to death, we've done Titania and Corneria and Sector Y. We've heard the comms say "My emperor, I've failed you" or "You're becoming more like your father" a million times. Why can't they give us something new like Assault did? What happened to all that creativity? That was a brand new fresh adventure, the first mission was in space, because, why not.

It's the same story with A Link Between Worlds. Awesome game but I'd traversed that overworld a hundred times already, I'd seen it all. Why couldn't they have given us something completely new? No doubt the next Zelda will start off in Link's peaceful forrest town, but why not do an Assault and mix it up a little bit?

They're obviously banking on nostalgia but it'll only work for so long.

Edited by Ronnie

Fired up the Wii VC and been playing some Lylat Wars this morning, with the rubbish classic controller lay out (grumble grumble)

Ah it's so good, so much fun. This with Splatoon controls could and should be an absolute win as far as I'm concerned, being able to aim with gyro controls should provide much more scope and handle more intuitively than just sticks :) is it holiday 2015 yet?! :D

My next Starfox Adventure started earlier today.

image_zpss7uqoyqs.jpg

So far I've gained the staff, talked to a guy out of the Neverending Story, had s ride on a snowmobile, saved a prince, fed a mammoth and nabbed my first Scarab bag upgrade. Sorted. :D

My next Starfox Adventure started earlier today.

image_zpss7uqoyqs.jpg

So far I've gained the staff, talked to a guy out of the Neverending Story, had s ride on a snowmobile, saved a prince, fed a mammoth and nabbed my first Scarab bag upgrade. Sorted. :D

Hey. Old copies of this game actually work in widescreen progressive scan on the Wii. I think it was removed for players choice, though. Was surprised when I realized this. Picture quality on this game was ace, always wondered why other stuff ddn't have such high quality PQ.

image_zpsrk4raqfy.jpg

A quarter of the way through now. To be honest I'm not really enjoying it. I'm finding it too easy, boring and quite bland. The fight mechanic may not as well exist in the game and the controls, like Assualts on foot sections, feel very loose at times, especially when trying to navigate narrow ledges. Still, I'll keep moving forward and get it done.

Why is it that the C-Stick wasn't used for moving the camera? Neither this or Assault used it for the camera and opted to use it for weapon selection instead. I find it a little baffling.

A quarter of the way through [Adventures] now. To be honest I'm not really enjoying it. I'm finding it too easy, boring and quite bland. The fight mechanic may not as well exist in the game and the controls, like Assualts on foot sections, feel very loose at times, especially when trying to navigate narrow ledges. Still, I'll keep moving forward and get it done.

Why is it that the C-Stick wasn't used for moving the camera? Neither this or Assault used it for the camera and opted to use it for weapon selection instead. I find it a little baffling.

I'm pretty sure you can at least select different control schemes in Assault as I did the first 2 levels last night before going to bed and was using the C-Stick to aim during the on-foot sections whilst A cycled through the weapons :smile:

You're definitely right about the aiming sensitivity, though :heh: It'll definitely take some time to adjust to it but what I wasn't banking on was the fact that I find myself tilting the controller to try to aim up and down, thanks to Splatoon :red:

I may return to Starfox Adventures afterwards, like yourself, but when I recently reached the 30% mark, I wasn't really feeling like carrying on either.. and I didn't :blank:

Star Fox Zero: Corneria Graphics Head-to-Head Comparison (3DS vs. Wii U)

Miyamoto Says Star Fox Zero’s Art Style Serves A Purpose And A Lot Of Games Look The Same

We’ve all now got a good look at Star Fox Zero for the Wii U, the brain child of Shigeru Miyamoto in collaboration with Platinum Games. What do you think of the game art style? Because Miyamoto said that the visual style and the gameplay is the main point of the game, and was made of a cartoony nature on purpose. As most games now strive to look super realistic, he thinks they’re all starting to look the same, and presumably wanted Star Fox Zero to stand out that way. Question is, does it stand out for the right reasons or look weaker, as the article suggests?

In a press event Sunday, Miyamoto said that the point of Star Fox Zero is the gameplay and the visual style of the game, which is somewhat cartoony. It was made that way with a purpose. “A lot of games nowadays look so realistic that they all look the same,” Miyamoto said.

The famed designer is right–many casual gamers might have trouble telling the difference between a “Call of Duty” and “Battlefield” game. But Nintendo’s strategy also reflects that the Wii U has far less graphical horsepower than rival home consoles.

http://mynintendonews.com/2015/06/21/miyamoto-says-star-fox-zeros-art-style-serves-a-purpose-and-a-lot-of-games-look-the-same/

http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2015/06/16/nintendo-at-e3-2015-star-fox-returns-but-silence-on-wii-u-zelda-and-nx/

Edited by Wii

Miyamoto Says Star Fox Zero’s Art Style Serves A Purpose And A Lot Of Games Look The Same

We’ve all now got a good look at Star Fox Zero for the Wii U, the brain child of Shigeru Miyamoto in collaboration with Platinum Games. What do you think of the game art style? Because Miyamoto said that the visual style and the gameplay is the main point of the game, and was made of a cartoony nature on purpose. As most games now strive to look super realistic, he thinks they’re all starting to look the same, and presumably wanted Star Fox Zero to stand out that way. Question is, does it stand out for the right reasons or look weaker, as the article suggests?

In a press event Sunday, Miyamoto said that the point of Star Fox Zero is the gameplay and the visual style of the game, which is somewhat cartoony. It was made that way with a purpose. “A lot of games nowadays look so realistic that they all look the same,” Miyamoto said.

The famed designer is right–many casual gamers might have trouble telling the difference between a “Call of Duty” and “Battlefield” game. But Nintendo’s strategy also reflects that the Wii U has far less graphical horsepower than rival home consoles.

http://mynintendonews.com/2015/06/21/miyamoto-says-star-fox-zeros-art-style-serves-a-purpose-and-a-lot-of-games-look-the-same/

http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2015/06/16/nintendo-at-e3-2015-star-fox-returns-but-silence-on-wii-u-zelda-and-nx/

There's a difference between using a unique art style and looking rough/unpolished. Sadly Starfox is the latter.

I have no issue with Nintendo using something that will look different to what's on the market. I love the visual style of things like Wario Land: Shake Dimension, Splatoon, Yoshi's Wooly World and Kirbys Epic Yarn but Starfox just looks unfinished and very lazy.

Crazy to think that this series once pushed hardware. Just look at Starwing, Starfox Adventures and, to a certain extent, Starfox Assault.

Sorry, Miyamoto, but I ain't buying your excuse for the visuals.

I genuinely don't think the game looks bad at all, I look forward to seeing how it will look even better closer to release.

To me it just looks so barren, which doesn't help things. If there's little going on on-screen, there's more opportunity to look at the graphics and feel let down.

I think the graphics will be improved before release. I'd certainly hope so. They may also have to be downgraded because of the 2 separate views. But yes it does look barren and it's a bit uninspired in terms of gameplay. Oh and I just have the feeling that it's going to be a short game.

I genuinely don't think the game looks bad at all, I look forward to seeing how it will look even better closer to release.

Same here. This is one of those examples where it's better to look clean and smooth (which it does) than detailed. I honestly don't there's any way previous Star Fox games look better when this is so hi-res.

Now, do the graphics look fantastic? No, I don't think so, but that's the result of having to stream a full game to two screens. I've never said the Wii U is perfect hardware, but it is what it is, and I see no reason to think Star Fox Zero is making worse use of it than it could.

Umm... StaxFox Adventures looks cartoony, even Starfox Assault to an extent. If anyone Zero is conforming to his view of the industry by looking bland and uninspired.

Exactly, Smash Bros., MK8 & Splatoon all have cartoon graphics, but to me they look amazing, with great flair and polish. Star Fox Zero just kinda looks meh in comparison.

Oh and I just have the feeling that it's going to be a short game.

Of course it is. It will probably take an hour and a half or so to complete.

The mission endings have "Complete" and "Accomplished" like Lylat Wars, so it will have branching paths.

The game will be short, but you play through different levels each time and it will be immensely replayable.