NEurope
Cube

Star Fox Zero

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2015/06/first_impressions_our_maiden_flight_in_star_fox_zero_prompts_mixed_emotions

Yep.. This game is definitely a miss for me, all my fears confirmed.

Why do they have to include the gamepad rubbish. Just give me a game with normal controls and lush graphics.

Don't need gamepad use forced on me for no good reason.

the gamepad sections leave you vulnerable and break immersions to the game

enemies were sparse in the dog fight sections

:shakehead

sounds awful! i might need a demo for i can buy this....i might even skip it

I don't think 10 minutes is enough to get used to using two screens like that.

I think the issue is that people are used to a certain control scheme, are reluctant to try the new one, are trying the new one as if it's the old one and then saying it sucks.

Controls like Splatoon, eh?

Well, that's a good thing. The controls were one of the only things I liked about Splatoon.

Can't wait to see people trying to shoot straight downward without Gyro. That will be a laugh.

Very happy to hear that I can disable the gyro controls. That may have been a deal breaker for me. Don't need them in Splatoon and I don't want them in this either.

It's pretty clear this game needs more time. A lot more time but unfortunately Nintendo need a big game out around Xmas.

I'm not too worried about the controls, his review of the visuals was pretty scathing though, and rightly so. The game needs a huge amount of work in that department even if the dull N64 art style has probably already been decided on.

It's pretty clear this game needs more time..

I'd rather they kept it until Christmas next year in order to make it the best it can be. Please don't rush it :sad:

Only just started watching this, so thoughts may change, but on first viewing it seems like the ship has been slowed down, and also you can tell the player is taking opportunities to just fly straight and then move away from obstacles at the last moment. Both as a result of obviously accommodate using the Gamepad screen to fire.

EDIT: Yes but this is an arcade shooter, not a British Airways flight sim.

I like how the chicken walker just flaps around hopelessly if you turn into it in zero gravity.

Oh my God, dat nostalgia :laughing:

I'm probably the only one who loves Starfox Adventures.

Man, it really does look better than Starfox Zero :(

Star Fox Adventures was great. Also, the graphics for Zero are decades ahead of the ones in those videos. The landscape in the Arwing section may as well have no textures.

Star Fox Adventures was great. Also, the graphics for Zero are decades ahead of the ones in those videos. The landscape in the Arwing section may as well have no textures.
That basic meteor alleyway has more character to me than Zero has shown with its flat 'textures'. Star Fox adventures had a personality and many details that should now be considered standard for a Star fox game. Where's Fox's fur texture for an HD game?

I'd love another Starfox Adventures, I thought it was fantastic.

The visuals from that and Assault have 10x more charm than Zero has at the moment. The latter just feels empty and soulless. I do like the Starfox 2 vibe I get from it but otherwise it needs tons of work to look acceptable as a modern day game.

I think the issue is that people are used to a certain control scheme, are reluctant to try the new one, are trying the new one as if it's the old one and then saying it sucks.

I don't agree, I think there area tangible problems with the control set up. Nothing to do with people resisting change. Swapping screens is simply a terrible idea for any fast paced game.

I don't agree, I think there area tangible problems with the control set up. Nothing to do with people resisting change. Swapping screens is simply a terrible idea for any fast paced game.

I agree. Playing Splatoon last night and looking at the map on the gamepad is not fluid or comfortable.

Nintendo initially considered Monolith Soft to develop Star Fox Zero.

“We didn’t really look around at that many different places. Our first instinct was to try and find an appropriate team within Nintendo. One place we kind of considered was Monolith Soft.”

“But it kind of came down to to there wasn’t really a place we wanted to work with other than Platinum just because they are so committed to creating exciting visuals. We kind of really wanted to improve the visual quality of the game.” - Shigeru Miyamoto

“But it kind of came down to to there wasn’t really a place we wanted to work with other than Platinum just because they are so committed to creating exciting visuals. We kind of really wanted to improve the visual quality of the game.”[/i] - Shigeru Miyamoto

mtbu.gif

Ok, I'll stop now :p

It's possible Platinum misunderstood when they were told to make Starfox furry. They made the graphics furry instead of the characters.

Nintendo initially considered Monolith Soft to develop Star Fox Zero.

“We didn’t really look around at that many different places. Our first instinct was to try and find an appropriate team within Nintendo. One place we kind of considered was Monolith Soft.”

“But it kind of came down to to there wasn’t really a place we wanted to work with other than Platinum just because they are so committed to creating exciting visuals. We kind of really wanted to improve the visual quality of the game.” - Shigeru Miyamoto

Incredible delusion in that last paragraph.

Nice kick in the balls for Monolith Soft too. Great work Shigsy!

That landmaster level does seem to look better than the rest... I mean it's still lacking art style but at least there are some particle effects going on. Hopefully the textures we see now in many cases are just placeholders.

Don't forget that, for Nintendo, graphics tend to be the things that are done last.

If it controls like Splatoon with gyro sensors then it controls like a dream. It's the sort of usage the Game Pad has been crying out for and really adds to the game. I started with gyro on Splatoon, the tried it without, and went straight back. When it's developed with that as the playing style, then that's the best way to play and makes it stand out, in a good way! :)

Unfortunately, this. I remember being excited at being able to use the touchscreen for FIFA13 on WiiU and it was just an almighty pain in the arse looking at the GamePad and then to the tv and then back to the GamePad, etc. In the end, I went with either GamePad only (which looked a bit meh and didn't play great) or TV only (where I quickly realised that the game was shit anyway).

It would work on the DS because the screens are much closer together. Otherwise, it can make you feel a bit dizzy.