NEurope
Cube

Star Fox Zero

Everything that had anything to do with Miyamoto this E3 was pretty much the low point for me.

Those demos he showed were alright, but not really worth the time that they got.

I'd really like to see more of Star Fox, but haven't seen any footage yet...will they be showcasing this somewhere down the line?

Someone change the topic title, it's not a rumour anymore.

Everything that had anything to do with Miyamoto this E3 was pretty much the low point for me...

Absolutely :hmm: It was so disappointing to see that Project Giant Robot and Project Guard were what he has been working on. It's like he has been forced to throw something together to make use of the Gamepad as quickly as possible before E3.. and then used Night Trap as inspiration :indeed:

NightTrap1.jpg

It's the game we all wanted..

I can actually see them both being incorporated into the new Starfox game in some way when all anybody really wants is an awesome new Lylat Wars :heh:

I'm not sure about this... games have moved on vastly since the SNES/N64 games and I've been thinking about what made them great back then. And to a point it all comes down to being about action and agility in the air. What is being described still feels like it's going to be clunky and kind of laboured.

Take below as a contrast. This is Strike Vector, a game made by 9 developers in 15 months. It's extremely fast and frantic and just feels more like what StarFox should be getting closer to:

Holy crap, I couldn't agree more.

Now that's how you could make a series relevant again and grab peoples interest to buy your console at the same time. And also turn a 2nd tier, lower selling Nintendo franchise into a top tier one. Literally perfect.

That air strafing/breaking!

Edited by Retro_Link

Well, thanks for setting the bar that high.

It's all downhill from here I guess....

But that's the thing.

People seem to have forgotten that Nintendo used to make proper AAA-games and lots of them. Starfox 64 was undoubtedly a AAA game in 1997. The voice acting worked really well, the cutscenes were epic, the graphics were among the best gamers had seen on any format at that point and there were loads of levels.

Thus, it's not unreasonable to expect Nintendo to make AAA games now.

But that's the thing.

People seem to have forgotten that Nintendo used to make proper AAA-games and lots of them. Starfox 64 was undoubtedly a AAA game in 1997. The voice acting worked really well, the cutscenes were epic, the graphics were among the best gamers had seen on any format at that point and there were loads of levels.

Well for me Nintendo are saying all the wrong things about StarFox right now.

I think when most people think about StarFox they think of the Space Battles the dogfights... something fast and furious?

Miyamoto is talking about downgrading it from a Movie to a TV show, various mechs, lowering a robot from a helicopter, controlling camera's around a base...

Surely the ideal solution is this...

Equivalent of Starfox 64 II for the single player campaign

An online multiplayer with classic dog-fighting, mechs, on-foot shooting, land-master tanks etc... basically Starfox take on Battlefield but actually more fun :heh:

New stuff as 'side missions' with more of it as DLC at a later date. : peace:

Well for me Nintendo are saying all the wrong things about StarFox right now.

I think when most people think about StarFox they think of the Space Battles the dogfights... something fast and furious?

Miyamoto is talking about downgrading it from a Movie to a TV show, various mechs, lowering a robot from a helicopter, controlling camera's around a base...

Yeah, it neither looks nor sounds like it's a rail shooter. And mechs and stuff is what they were trying to do with Starfox 2, right?

However, the things he is saying make me think of a Nintendo equivelant of Battlefield, only with vehicles only. Which is what I've thought might be a good direction for a Starfox spinoff.

NINTENDO has a whole different philosophy when it comes to making an AAA game than Sony and Microsoft and most 3rd Party studios.

It's not really a problem for me though, but I feel like some franchises like Metroid, F-Zero and Star Fox (basically the big space franchises) could really benefit from.....well from taking a look at for example the game that was posted a few posts up. And that isn't even made by people known for AAA games.

Metroid and Star Fox should totally take a look at No Man's Sky and F-Zero, well, F-Zero could do with a neo-light sci-fi techno city to drive around in.

Having said this though, I have faith in NINTENDO that the game will be fun, but with Miyamoto at the helm of the project I doubt it will be an epic adventure like game.

It will probably be mission based and fragmentated instead of a true space-adventure. I hope not though.

After seeing this mentioned along side Guard and Giant Robot, is anyone else extremely unexcited about this game?

Also, I'm surprised that the IGN guys didn't mention Sin & Punishment, Kid Icarus: Uprising or other games like that as that's all this "new GamePad use" is.

NINTENDO has a whole different philosophy when it comes to making an AAA game than Sony and Microsoft and most 3rd Party studios.

It's not really a problem for me though, but I feel like some franchises like Metroid, F-Zero and Star Fox (basically the big space franchises) could really benefit from.....well from taking a look at for example the game that was posted a few posts up. And that isn't even made by people known for AAA games.

Metroid and Star Fox should totally take a look at No Man's Sky and F-Zero, well, F-Zero could do with a neo-light sci-fi techno city to drive around in.

Having said this though, I have faith in NINTENDO that the game will be fun, but with Miyamoto at the helm of the project I doubt it will be an epic adventure like game.

It will probably be mission based and fragmentated instead of a true space-adventure. I hope not though.

After seeing this mentioned along side Guard and Giant Robot, is anyone else extremely unexcited about this game?

Also, I'm surprised that the IGN guys didn't mention Sin & Punishment, Kid Icarus: Uprising or other games like that as that's all this "new GamePad use" is.

Having Miyamoto near this game is the wrong move. They need somebody new, fresh and vibrant with new ideas that can make this game truly special. Miyamoto should keep working on new things, but this shouldn't be one of his games.

The trailer for Strike Vector contains elements of what Star Fox should be about. Dog-fights, fast and furious gameplay. Nintendo need to look back at what made Lylat Wars outstanding and aim to reach those highs again. It was the script work, the level design, the multiple routes, the boss fights, the humour between characters, the challenge.

But that's the thing.

Starfox 64/ Lylat Wars was the first time Nintendo gave us a proper PAL conversion of one of their games. Back then all we had was Rare willing to bring out games over here at full screen (nowadays its hilarious to think this was an issue) while Nintendo games were still letterboxed and slowwww. That was only because we were lucky enough that Rare were UK based. Then came Lylat Wars which was the turning point. Optimised to full screen display, all that voice acting, cinematic. Amazing. It showed the likes of Mario 64 and Waverace 64 up for the lazy PAL releases they were.

This weeks IGN Nintendo podcast episode quickly skims over the news and then heads straight into a look back at the Starfox series.

HERE

The impressions the guys do at the start ( they continue throughout ) are hilarious. I was walking around the shops grabbing some lunch and laughing my back off listening to these guys. People must have though I was nuts.

The main thing I took away from the podcast is that they don't want any walking sections or land sections. All they want is the crew to stay in the cockpit of their Arwings. I have to agree.

The best games in the series are those that just concentrate of giving you those dogfighting experiences. I have no issues with Starfox Adventures of Starfox Assault but it would be nice to get back in an Arwing, with no stupid gimmicks, and just fly around shooting the hell out of stuff.

This next game better have online coop as well. You have 3 wingmen with you in these games. It's crying out for an online coop campaign! Watch it have local coop and then that's it.

I don't mind one or two levels where you're in the landmaster but I don't want any on foot bollocks in the next game :p

I think if they include Landmaster levels, they should be on rails. The two Landmaster stages in Lylat Wars were fine (in fact Macbeth is one of my favourites). Also, I think they would do well to stick to on rails for the Arwing stages - the all range mode bits in Lylat Wars were its weaker sections, imo.

If they put in running stages and make them on rails too, then we'd be onto a winner. ;)

Miyamoto will give us the Star Fox he thinks we all want, gimmicky controls with no online co-op mode.

I honestly think he is past it, the games he showed at E3 to push gamepad use were very poor. He seems so out of touch these days.

Once he's done with Star Fox, he'll think of a good gimmick for F-Zero.

Hey, everyone loved using the gamepad to control the F-zero mini game in nintendoland right? Lets use that. :(

What I expect them to give us: all-range mode, Gamepad only controls, lots and lots of vehicles with only a handful Arwing stages.

As an aside, I quite liked the walking around levels in Starfox Assault. Particularly the final one.

I liked all-range mode as it was in Lylat Wars. A select few bosses and levels. Sector Y and Bolse are really good for it.

I liked all-range mode as it was in Lylat Wars. A select few bosses and levels. Sector Y and Bolse are really good for it.

Totally agree with this. When it was done sparingly, it was done well. I have to say though, I was never keen on Sector Z - I think I only ever finished it properly twice. And once was recently on the 3DS.

Sector Z was actually the one I meant, where great fox is ambushed. Although Sector Y does still have an all-range boss fight that's pretty good.

Sector Z was actually the one I meant, where great fox is ambushed. Although Sector Y does still have an all-range boss fight that's pretty good.

I knew what you meant - great minds and all that!

I've said this before, if we could just persuade Nintendo to ignore Starfox Adventures and Assault and effectively reboot the franchise, so much the better.

I always go the other route as I prefer approaching Venom from Macbeth to Area 6, but the times I do go all along the top route, at Sector Z its worth letting one of the missiles hit the Great Fox purely because during the credits I love seeing it take to the skies, battered yet victorious.